Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chris Knight posted:

The glue it comes with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Chris Knight posted:

The glue it comes with.

I've had that fail on all 3 bikes Ive used it on. it works for some months then you get fun poo poo like the throttle grip slooowly slipping so youre stuck wondering why the hell your bike has less power.

I just use any regular super glue.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

FBS posted:

Can someone please tell me what to use to glue my Oxford heated grips on?

I've seen lots of advice online about what not to use and now I'm afraid of everything

One of the more memorable pieces of advice I've ever read on these forums is that water-based "personal lubricant" is perfect for getting new grips on easily and then when the water evaporates the residue is gummy enough to make the grips stick. I've no idea how good that advice actually is, but trying to work out the sequence of events that led to this discovery is certainly entertaining.

Megabook
Mar 13, 2019

Grimey Drawer

Supradog posted:

I've had that fail on all 3 bikes Ive used it on. it works for some months then you get fun poo poo like the throttle grip slooowly slipping so youre stuck wondering why the hell your bike has less power.

I just use any regular super glue.

When I bought my SV650 the heated grips slid around on the bars, leading to the cables getting kind of tangled and the throttle sticking open a bit, which was a bit scary. I then stuck the grips back on with normal grip glue. Did I screw up?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

As long as it wasn't the glue oxford included in their kit its probably fine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

One of the more memorable pieces of advice I've ever read on these forums is that water-based "personal lubricant" is perfect for getting new grips on easily and then when the water evaporates the residue is gummy enough to make the grips stick. I've no idea how good that advice actually is, but trying to work out the sequence of events that led to this discovery is certainly entertaining.

I posted that originally, and the sequence of events leading to the discovery was exactly what you're imagining.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Why is there a warning tag on these new pro-taper bars I just bought that says “for external use only”?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I posted that originally, and the sequence of events leading to the discovery was exactly what you're imagining.

Nice one punchy

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Rust proofing question!

I've heard great things about ACF-50 rust proofing stuff. Supposedly it can even be used on hot exhaust parts. Can you use it on chromed parts? The exhaust of my SV is slowly starting to show some rust and pitting, and i kinda wanna keep it nice and shiny.
But i don't wanna have a caked on layer of wax or something that is super hard to remove after winter.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I replied in the other thread before reading this. Yes, acf50 works.
In regards of shine, it will be a little duller. Think of it as a slightly sticky coat of oil? It's not wax like or hard. Removing is just a good washing with normal soap, maybe heated water to help.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

LimaBiker posted:

Rust proofing question!

I've heard great things about ACF-50 rust proofing stuff. Supposedly it can even be used on hot exhaust parts. Can you use it on chromed parts? The exhaust of my SV is slowly starting to show some rust and pitting, and i kinda wanna keep it nice and shiny.
But i don't wanna have a caked on layer of wax or something that is super hard to remove after winter.

You can put it on all metal and plastics according to the manufacturer. Vinyl is a problem I heard.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

XCP Rust Proofer lasts longer than ACF (Ryan F9 did a great youtube on it), i.e. it won't wash away as easily from rain etc so you need to reapply it less often.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Why is there a warning tag on these new pro-taper bars I just bought that says “for external use only”?

We can assume using them internally caused someone to end up in the hospital

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:thejoke:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Possible dumb question alert, why is it that a lot of older literbikes seem to weigh less than modern ones? Browsing craigslist looking at some of the 10-15 year old bikes that pop up on there, stated weight in the manufacturer specs is almost always a good 50-60+ lbs less than the current model years. From my very brief poking around, it seems like there was a time period where the bikes just kept getting lighter and lighter until about 2005-8, then that curve reversed and started coming back up in weight again.

For example, a 2004 R1 supposedly is around 380 lbs dry (not that much more than some modern small CC sportbikes :stare: ) but 2015-present are claimed at around 440+ lbs or so, if you can find real numbers and they're to be believed.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Emissions, electronics, safety features (like abs), probably a good bit of old fashioned lying.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Didn't a lot of manufacturers weigh their bikes without most fluids - fork oil, gas, engine oil, brake fluids, etc - to get an unrealistic weight too?

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Is that what they usually mean by dry weight, just everything completely empty, or is that another number that gets fudged? I always assumed it was without gas for sure and radiator fluid at the very least.

Coydog posted:

Emissions, electronics, safety features (like abs), probably a good bit of old fashioned lying.
Makes sense, I was thinking about emission control systems and how those have probably had a big push to be installed on bikes especially in the past 10 years or so. It's also really hard to find numbers for some years, they mysteriously don't list any and you have to try to dig to see if anyone bothered to get one up on a scale.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

my exhaust, not even the cat, was no joke, 15lbs lol. the replacement wings exhaust weighed about 4lbs maybe? and was not significantly louder with the more restrictive insert

emissions stuff / abs routing all weighs quite a bit

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Possible dumb question alert, why is it that a lot of older literbikes seem to weigh less than modern ones? Browsing craigslist looking at some of the 10-15 year old bikes that pop up on there, stated weight in the manufacturer specs is almost always a good 50-60+ lbs less than the current model years. From my very brief poking around, it seems like there was a time period where the bikes just kept getting lighter and lighter until about 2005-8, then that curve reversed and started coming back up in weight again.

For example, a 2004 R1 supposedly is around 380 lbs dry (not that much more than some modern small CC sportbikes :stare: ) but 2015-present are claimed at around 440+ lbs or so, if you can find real numbers and they're to be believed.
The improved emissions have meant heavier bikes BUT 380 is a fantasy number. Actual wet weight of a '04 R1 is actually close to 440 lbs. Wet weight of a 2020 R1 is around 448. That's more like a 8 lb difference or so.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Yuns posted:

The improved emissions have meant heavier bikes BUT 380 is a fantasy number. Actual wet weight of a '04 R1 is actually close to 440 lbs. Wet weight of a 2020 R1 is around 448. That's more like a 8 lb difference or so.

Yep. the 99' R1 I owned was a heavy loving pig.The FZ1k that preceded it was even worse. Bike engines/frames are designed to be a lot more compact now which utilize less materials which reduces weight.

right arm posted:

my exhaust, not even the cat, was no joke, 15lbs lol. the replacement wings exhaust weighed about 4lbs maybe? and was not significantly louder with the more restrictive insert

emissions stuff / abs routing all weighs quite a bit

the 990 adv with abs/efi is a good 20lb heavier than the 950 on carbs. The dual cats/exhausts + emissions worth about 15-20lb too. Some weight weenies have managed to strip nearly 100lb off that platform.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
I've got a dumb dumb question. I have a little portable tire infaltor/deflator. It has a threaded air chuck that I screw onto the tire. The problem is, it takes a bit to screw it on and off. And during that time the valve seems to open and until it is either fully connected or disconnected my tires are losing pressure.

This means if I inflate my tire up to 25 psi, while I am disconnecting the inflator, the tire pressure drops to 20 psi (which I verify with a secondary push gauge I have).

Is there some trick to this I am missing? Should I overinflate to 30 to compensate for the expected loss (this seems like a bad idea)?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Do it faster.

Or get the kind of adapter head that doesn't screw on.

In either case, overinflating to 30 is perfectly fine. Look at the number on the side of the tire and don't go above that, but feel free to go up to it and then let bits of air out until it hits the correct value.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Sagebrush posted:

Do it faster.

In either case, overinflating to 30 is perfectly fine. Look at the number on the side of the tire and don't go above that, but feel free to go up to it and then let bits of air out until it hits the correct value.

Would something like this be better: https://www.amazon.com/LUMITECO-Loc...customerReviews

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

This is the 'right' way to do this fwiw, either using a combination gauge/filler tool (expensive) or a direct pump + pressure gauge (less expensive). You also get what you pay for with gauges in terms of accuracy, the aliexpress tier are almost useless because they're usually so far out.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I have a manual push gauge with a button for letting out pressure. It was very handy for overinflating and then dropping down to the correct one. There's no need to worry about the tire blowing, sitting still it can take far far more than its rated max.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I have a decent gauge filler tool attached to a cheap 155 psi air compressor at home but most of the time I just use a good bicycle pump with a gauge to make tweaks to pressure or top up tires. I also have a manual push gauge with a dial that holds the reading.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Those drive me crazy, I'm obsessive about tire pressure in my vehicles and bought one of the cheapish ones that plugs into a car cigarette lighter so I could always keep everything topped off, and the threads just won't cooperate some days. I started just overinflating to a set amount once I figured out about how much will be let out with unscrewing the head.

Side tangent, why does Slime seem to have such a stranglehold on the budget pressure gauges and compressors in the US. They're universally cheap and lovely feeling, but are the only things you can find in stores.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
I have bicycle pumps with a dial gauge and push gauges from the car parts store (with the little stem that shoots out).

The push gauge is always 5lbs less than the $75 Bontrager pump's gauge, both before and after using the pump. It's not the floor pump letting air out.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I highly encourage anyone using a 12V compressor to buy a VIAIR, they're amazingly quiet compared to the cheap compressors and also fill tires a lot faster. Their built in gauge is very accurate too (when turned off, when it's running it reads ~2PSI high but that's easy to account for), it's reads the exact same as my pricey Motion Pro digital gauge.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The Goldwing has an onboard compressor and a 6 foot air hose

:dukedog: :smugdog: :smuggo: :smugmrgw: :smug: :smugbert: :smugbird: :smugspike: :smugteddie: :fsmug: :smugdroid:

:boom:

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Those drive me crazy, I'm obsessive about tire pressure in my vehicles and bought one of the cheapish ones that plugs into a car cigarette lighter so I could always keep everything topped off, and the threads just won't cooperate some days. I started just overinflating to a set amount once I figured out about how much will be let out with unscrewing the head.

Side tangent, why does Slime seem to have such a stranglehold on the budget pressure gauges and compressors in the US. They're universally cheap and lovely feeling, but are the only things you can find in stores.

if you go to a hardware store instead of autozone you can find battery powered air pumps. honesty i really like mine and it's not a bad price if you already have the batteries and it lasts forever just sitting in my car. probably way less practical for keeping on a bike since it's a bit chunky but it also means not needing a 12v outlet.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:dukedog: :smugdog: :smuggo: :smugmrgw: :smug: :smugbert: :smugbird: :smugspike: :smugteddie: :fsmug: :smugdroid:

That is if you didn't go for the chest freezer option.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So does the hawk. It's a tiny pocket sized compressor with alligator clips for the battery. I won it at cycle gear.

What I want is a bike with an onboard compressor that is connected to the tires and a TPMS. Have it check tire pressures against your preferred setting every time you start the bike and adjust as needed.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

do i have to post this again

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So a two wheeled humvee then.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

do i have to post this again

How does it pump "clean, cool air" from the spark plug hole? Was there a mechanism to shut off fuel to the carbs?

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
How is that pump not sending aeresolized fuel air mix into your tires? No thank you, I'll hook up to the exhaust instead for my air pressure.

Slavvy posted:

So a two wheeled humvee then.

If I wanted a cool looking, heavy, overpriced, slow, unreliable piece of poo poo with features can live without I'd get a.... ural? Royal Enfield?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Thats definitely pumping gas into your tires

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mewse posted:

How does it pump "clean, cool air" from the spark plug hole? Was there a mechanism to shut off fuel to the carbs?

The part that screws into the spark plug hole contains a little reciprocating piston on a spring with a check valve to the outside. The pressure in the engine cylinder drives this piston back and forth, and it in turn pumps clean air into the tire. The engine intake charge never mixes with the air going to the tire.

It does pump some unburnt fuel out the exhaust, of course, but that's fine, it's 1948.

no word on how well it works with dual spark engines either