Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

jokes posted:

Lots of people reporting that RAM is a very minor concern on M1 for some reason? Like punching way above typical performance for a low amount of RAM?

This is the first time I ever got 8GB in my laptop so I’m a little hesitant to believe that hype, but people are talking about running Adobe poo poo alongside 16 YouTube tabs and junk and not really seeing much performance take a hit.

I think Intel might have just been kind of a piece of poo poo?
I've read in a few different places that because the M1 manages having such low RAM by swapping to disk a lot, the concern is that the constant re-writes on the SSD will severely reduce the lifespan of the SSD. And since nothing is user-replaceable in any of these machines, if any one component dies, you'll be left with a doorstop. Of course, we can't/won't know if this bears out or not right now, but it DOES make sense.

Sasquatch! fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Dec 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Sasquatch! posted:

I've read in a few different places that because the M1 manages having such low RAM by swapping to disk a lotand the concern is that constant re-writes on the SSD will severely reduce the lifespan of the SSD. And since nothing is user-replaceable in any of these machines, if any one component dies, you'll be left with a doorstop. Of course, we can't/won't know if this bears out or not right now, but it DOES make sense.

AFAIK SSDs already have write lifespans in the like years and years range (something like 10 or whatever) so I can’t imagine this is going to do anything to shorten the lifespan because you’ll already be looking to replace the unit by the time it’s an issue.

Hell the battery is definitely toast before any of this is an issue.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apple sold a MBA with only 4gb of ram and those aren’t reporting any widespread SSD failures due to swapping constantly.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

MarcusSA posted:

AFAIK SSDs already have write lifespans in the like years and years range (something like 10 or whatever) so I can’t imagine this is going to do anything to shorten the lifespan because you’ll already be looking to replace the unit by the time it’s an issue.

Write endurance is a function of total writes, the act of writing to them physically wears them out. SSDs are smart enough to spread writes across the drive so it all wears at a consistent rate, but small drives like the one on base spec M1s just have fewer cells to play with, giving them disproportionately smaller write endurances than 1tb+ drives (though still over to possibly multiples of 100 terabytes so probably not a huge concern). As a user I wouldn't worry about it, but if I was buying one used I'd want to know the drive health like you would the battery, since you don't know what the prior owner was doing with the machine.

They can all boot from external storage too, so a dead SSD alone doesn't look like it would brick them.

E: to be clear, I've only personally heard of one person wearing out an SSD and they had some rogue program writing shitballs of data all the time. It's not something I'd give any amount of thought to besides making sure you don't get the one that someone was hammering all the time for whatever reason, with normal usage it's a non-issue.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 13, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

They made 2GB Airs....with 64GB SSD

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

redeyes posted:

Davinci for video. Take your pick for photo editing. Done.

Affinity photo is killer

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

MarcusSA posted:

Also note that in general larger SSDs are much more durable than smaller ones. Get at least a 1tb if you can.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

LionArcher posted:

Affinity photo is killer

If it handled gifs/animations it would be perfect :unsmith:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I gotta say, sidecar is pretty rad. I use it a handful of times a week when I need a quick second monitor to do some excel stuff and it's just so handy to just prop up my iPad, cast a second screen to it for a few minutes and then put it away.

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

MarcusSA posted:

Hope so! When it dies in 9 years I'll resurrect this thread tho...

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I recently got my girlfriend a mid-2015 MBP, the last one with MagSafe and no Touch Bar - she just needed something “better”. However, I had a laptop may a decade ago and back then, MagSafe chargers were prone to breaking drat near instantaneously. Similar to how companies like Anker, RavPower, and Mophie make stronger lightning cables than Apple’s offering, is/was there a similar thing for MagSafe chargers?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

LODGE NORTH posted:

I recently got my girlfriend a mid-2015 MBP, the last one with MagSafe and no Touch Bar - she just needed something “better”. However, I had a laptop may a decade ago and back then, MagSafe chargers were prone to breaking drat near instantaneously. Similar to how companies like Anker, RavPower, and Mophie make stronger lightning cables than Apple’s offering, is/was there a similar thing for MagSafe chargers?
Not that I know of, they never licensed it and I don't think any of the reputable brands ever made any, so all the third party ones are generic no name knockoffs afaik. They could work fine, or they could kill the computer (I remember some old Rossman video about the particular chip they can short out), or any of the really bad stuff that can happen with sketchy power.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

LODGE NORTH posted:

I've had a MagSafe cable on a 2012 MBP for the last seven years and it's still absolutely perfect, just buy a proper one

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Hmm hmm, thanks guys. I guess I'll get the official one and call it a day. I'm probably not as reckless as I was however many years ago too, so here's hoping I can keep it alive.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
If you paid more than like $500 for a 2015 MBP and your gf doesn't obligately have to boot Windows on it you got major ripped off

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I
Just a heads up, I picked up a "fair condition" m1 8/256 MacBook air from bestbuy for $820 which is the most absolute brain-dead yes purchase I've made all year.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/macbook-air-13-3-laptop-apple-m1-chip-8gb-memory-256gb-ssd-latest-model-space-gray/5721600.p?skuId=5721600

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

nerdrum posted:

Just a heads up, I picked up a "fair condition" m1 8/256 MacBook air from bestbuy for $820 which is the most absolute brain-dead yes purchase I've made all year.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/macbook-air-13-3-laptop-apple-m1-chip-8gb-memory-256gb-ssd-latest-model-space-gray/5721600.p?skuId=5721600

what does BB consider 'fair condition?'

how do you know the keyboard isn't like full of jizz? knowing BB's reputation in this regard I'm not sure I wouldn't save up the remaining tens of dollars and buy .edu

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

Ok Comboomer posted:

how do you know the keyboard isn't like full of jizz? knowing BB's reputation in this regard I'm not sure I wouldn't save up the remaining tens of dollars and buy .edu

I mean admittedly the device isn't really old enough where I'd be worried about load build-up in the keyboard tray, in my experience with laptops and cellphones overall though -- it's usually missing manuals or instructions and damaged packaging or a small nick on the device. This one seems cosmetically perfect and was just missing the box, charger etc all there.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
lol that "low serial number" box is absolutely being scalped on ebay right now

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy
My M1 MBA shipped last Wednesday, but the tracking info has shown it sitting “In Transit” in Shanghai ever since. Anyone else have theirs take this long getting out of China?

Totally Huge
Mar 10, 2006

Cold brew got me like...

College Slice

Fleedar posted:

My M1 MBA shipped last Wednesday, but the tracking info has shown it sitting “In Transit” in Shanghai ever since. Anyone else have theirs take this long getting out of China?

When I poked my head into macrumors forums a week or 2 ago I saw some people in that situation and others left China really quickly. It seemed like UPS was in worse shape than FedEx or DHL.

In my case it sat in Shanghai for 24 hours or so, spend a day in Japan, and then went straight to Memphis for sorting. It was FedEx.

The Apple Watch I had delivered for my SO’s Xmas gift came last Monday and required a signature (which ended up meaning the FedEx guy waved at me through the screen door and sat the box down), but my laptop they just dropped off at the door in the rain, rang the bell, and then teleported back to the truck.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Fleedar posted:

My Mini has been stuck in Hong Kong. UPS currently won’t give me an estimated delivery date.

I’m fine waiting, but I really hope it gets here before the long Christmas weekend.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ok Comboomer posted:

Probably missing packing or something.

I’ve always had good luck with BB and these Apple products.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
a number of posters have brought up the fact that the apple tv is "clearly dead" now just because they have apps on other platforms, now

quote:

The U.S. tech giant is also working on a new Apple TV, a home entertainment device for video-on-demand services, for next year, one of the people said.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Technology/Apple-plans-30-boost-in-iPhone-production-for-first-half-of-2021

fwiw i have never really thought that the apple tv is dead because especially now i don't think it probably costs them that much; now that macs are on their in-house arm chips, too, there's almost nothing in the apple tv that requires something special that isn't used in some other product they make

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
AppleTV is "dead" in the sense that it's currently perfect and there's no reason for them ever to release a new version, unless they want to double down on the gaming aspect which they've been like halfheartedly trying at and making no progress.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
iunno, the remote could use maybe 50 more revisions. Maybe one of them will not be poo poo and I'll stockpile that one.

Someday it'll work better with homepods and you can create an 11.1 wireless surround sound system with 8 homepods, 2 minis for atmos, and the new upcoming homepod max subwoofer

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
it will get pushed forward by 8k TVs and VRR if nothing else

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

MeruFM posted:

Someday it'll work better with homepods and you can create an 11.1 wireless surround sound system with 8 homepods, 2 minis for atmos, and the new upcoming homepod max subwoofer
The HomePod's final form: a room-sized pod with all the speakers facing inwards

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

American McGay posted:

AppleTV is "dead" in the sense that it's currently perfect and there's no reason for them ever to release a new version, unless they want to double down on the gaming aspect which they've been like halfheartedly trying at and making no progress.

Apple’s been “trying” at the AppleTV’s gaming aspect in the same way that I’ve been “trying” to record an album for like five years

TACD posted:

The HomePod's final form: a microchip-sized device that beams Apple Music and Siri straight into your brain

It’s called the iPod, but the “i” is for “implant”

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

MeruFM posted:

I forgot what a homepod was and pictured 11 airpods suspended by strings around the room.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bobstar posted:

I forgot what a homepod was and pictured 11 airpods suspended by strings around the room.

jony ive just had an orgasm when you posted this

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
Does Apple let you do trade ins? My 2020 mbp is fine but I want to upgrade

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

Does Apple let you do trade ins? My 2020 mbp is fine but I want to upgrade

yes

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

LODGE NORTH posted:

Hmm hmm, thanks guys. I guess I'll get the official one and call it a day. I'm probably not as reckless as I was however many years ago too, so here's hoping I can keep it alive.
If you're handy, I have a frayed official one (straight from Apple) you could have for like 20 shipped. I'll throw in some sugru too.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020
I called the mac store. For a mid-2020 MBP with 8g ram 13" screen, they would give $700 towards new mac trade in. I don't find that particularly bad, I paid $1,200 for it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cheese Thief posted:

I called the mac store. For a mid-2020 MBP with 8g ram 13" screen, they would give $700 towards new mac trade in. I don't find that particularly bad, I paid $1,200 for it.

That’s 100% worth it for M1 IMO

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Otherwise, Swappa is worth a try, and you’d stand to make a bit more. But if it’s as easy as bringing the Intel in and trading it on the spot, I’d be tempted too.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Ok Comboomer posted:

Apple Silicon is kind of a Mac vs PC nightmare scenario for PC partisans right now.

Picture the most obnoxious, stupid, hyperbolic Apple fanboy. The guy who gets into Internet fights with strangers in 2009 about how his polycarb MacBook is superior to PCs for really half-baked reasons beyond “because it’s a Mac”. Everything is better, the system is better, etc blah blah blah blah blah.

Now we have Macs that actually live up to the worst hyperbole that 2006 weird teen Ok Comboomer could come up with.

Like removed from their context, excerpts from a lot of M1 reviews sound like the worst kinds of Jobsian reality distortion.

I have always used and enjoyed both, but when it comes to (non-gaming) laptops, the M1 really makes everything else obsolete. It is insane.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

nitsuga posted:

Otherwise, Swappa is worth a try, and you’d stand to make a bit more. But if it’s as easy as bringing the Intel in and trading it on the spot, I’d be tempted too.

I ended up using swappa because apple wanted me to ship the laptop and I made an extra $200 for the same work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Apple quoted me $570 Canadian for my 2018 Mini, the M1 is only like $300 after the rebate. I don’t know why they’re being so generous, the gap between these two machines feels bigger than my last upgrade, which was from a 2008 to the 2018. Haven’t got my trade in box yet, though, so we’ll see.