Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

No video with the CL listing. He's asking $550,000.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/d/mountain-view-jet-powered-volkswagen/7241823593.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

CarForumPoster posted:

Could you share more about this? This seems like awesome boat insanity poo poo which is...close enough.

I used to work for these guys: nautiluslabs.com

We'd tie into a ship's navigation system to get position, speed over ground, speed through water, wind, and as many other data points as we could (we'd also pull wind, current, and weather forecasts from NOAA). We'd also tap into the ship's engine and fuel delivery systems to get the fuel consumption rate and what kind of fuel the ship was burning. From that, and by knowing how low the ship was riding in the water, we could figure out how much energy was being wasted in the interface between the water and the hull, between the propeller and the hull, and we'd generate an empirical model describing how efficiently the engine could turn fuel into power at every speed. Less expensive ships use fixed pitch propellers that attach directly to the engine's output shaft, so the engine's RPM is directly related to how quickly the ship wants to move through the water. We'd work with the shipowners to figure out the peculiars of a ship's contract, and we'd provide speed recommendations: e.g. steam at 72 RPM across the Atlantic, then switch to 61 RPM at the Strait of Gibraltar. We'd update that daily based on weather conditions and how the ship was performing.

It took a little convincing to get the captains and engineers comfortable with changing speeds dynamically. I had some highfalutin' notions about variable valve timing to squeeze a few extra milijoules per gram of fuel across a broader RPM range.

Regarding reverse -- because these ships use fixed pitch, direct drive systems, you'd have to spin the engine backwards to reverse. To do that, you'd shift the camshaft so that its reverse lobes lined up with the valves.

I took a picture of this placard in the engine control room on a 20,000 ton chemical tanker while it was unloading molasses in Seattle. It was attached right above the engine order telegraph.

A different ship crashed into a pier shortly after we installed our system on it. We pulled the RPM data from shortly before the crash. At 30 second intervals, it looked something like 53, 35, 8, -7, -28, [crash]. Unfortunately I can't find the map I put together of that incident.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 14, 2020

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Hey, you want to know what is awesome AI car poo poo? Playing the Sheep Game!

We have just over a week left before the deadline for the annual AI Sheep Game, and I've only heard from 27 players so far. We can do better than this, AI, and we have! It's my hope that we will break our record this year for the largest Sheep Game of all, which would require 35 more players! There are a lot of people in this thread who post a ton here, but have never participated...why not get in on the fun for the first time ever?

:siren::siren:Click on the picture to continue to the Sheep Game thread!

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

antimatt posted:

I appreciate your opinion, but I don't think you've considered all the variables.
Also, how much electricity a set of 24 electronic valves would need?

Back to AI:

http://www.kresscorp.com/Kressweb/Brochures/200CIII_DetailedBrochure.pdf

Kress 200 Coal Hauler

its huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

I seem to recall in the earlier days of the internet, pics of this build floating around. Though I've never seen it move under its own power.

LOL @ half a million for it

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Solar Coaster posted:

I seem to recall in the earlier days of the internet, pics of this build floating around. Though I've never seen it move under its own power.

LOL @ half a million for it

TL;DR CL ad, but wasn't this a Monster v
Garage car, or am I confusing it with something else?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I’m almost certain the JetBug has been for sale before, for a similar crack-pipe price.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Thats funny, I thought that particular Impala was embedded in the side of a cliff.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Right, a ‘coal hauler’... that’s why I’m buying one...

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

A different ship crashed into a pier shortly after we installed our system on it. We pulled the RPM data from shortly before the crash. At 30 second intervals, it looked something like 53, 35, 8, -7, -28, [crash]. Unfortunately I can't find the map I put together of that incident.

Wow I don't want to be in the engine room when that big fucker has to change direction and then build RPM that fast.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

BuckyDoneGun posted:

It’s one thing when Koenigsegg develops FreeValve cam-less engines, a whole other thing when a dude builds his own proof of concept on a single cylinder engine in his garage with Arduino ECU 🤯

https://youtu.be/k_MrPylnsDg

Guy also built his own 6x6 Wrangler and turned a Boxster into a 60’s F1 cart.
https://youtu.be/AJt6sr31caY

I love the sound of the Boxter-F1.

Those are some neat vids.

New-ish Gymkhana:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32I0Qso4sDg

Pretty neat. I love the look of concentration/oh poo poo on Travis' face.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Darchangel posted:

New-ish Gymkhana:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32I0Qso4sDg

Pretty neat. I love the look of concentration/oh poo poo on Travis' face.

The Black Rifle Coffee sponsorship immediately ruined my enjoyment.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

You didn't notice the pitviper car?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Mustache Ride posted:

I was going to reply and ask if PitViper was a bunch of chuds, but ... seems slightly unnecessary.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Mustache Ride posted:

I guess I'm glad I have no idea who they are?

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
Sheesh, get yer politicking away from my fun car videos!!!

Travis is a good stand-in for Ken.
The contrast between the look of terror and concentration on Travis’ face compared to the usual maniacal smile on ken block’s face is interesting. Two completely different ways to accomplish just about the same result. Great video.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Modus Man posted:

Sheesh, get yer politicking away from my fun car videos!!!

Travis is a good stand-in for Ken.
The contrast between the look of terror and concentration on Travis’ face compared to the usual maniacal smile on ken block’s face is interesting. Two completely different ways to accomplish just about the same result. Great video.
Nah, gently caress chuds. Ignoring it is over.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Krakkles posted:

I was going to reply and ask if PitViper was a bunch of chuds, but ... seems slightly unnecessary.

Afaik, pit viper haven't done/said/supported anything lovely.

Usually Hoonigan is actually pretty good about keeping that poo poo away from their brand and I know I've heard their people call out a few brands (Yueingling springs to mind) for being chuds here and there in videos. It makes the BRC bit lovely, but its one of pastrana's sponsors so I feel that poo poo is more on him. vOv

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Larry Chen has been pointing out some of the cool shots outside of the big stunts on his Instagram and he’s right, there’s some super photogenic stuff that flies under the radar.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Mustache Ride posted:

What's wrong with Pit Viper? They've always seemed like a cool company to me, I own a pair of their sunglasses and they are cool as well.

They are in the video because they sponsor Travis, he has his own model of sunglasses with them.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I liked it when it first popped up cause I'm from Maryland but by the time I saw black rifle in the credits it was a little late to boycott it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
its not like the stupid rear end coffee company gets any money from you watching or enjoying the video.

enjoy the video for what it is, don't give them a loving cent out of your wallet.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

its not like the stupid rear end coffee company gets any money from you watching or enjoying the video.

enjoy the video for what it is, don't give them a loving cent out of your wallet.
Agreed, except: The people who made the video do (at the very least, exposure, and much more likely, some amount of monetization), and the idea is to send the message that doing business with chuds isn't ok.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I’ll bite, since the only thing I know about black rifle coffee is that they are a company started by veterans, what did they actually do that’s so terrible that you can’t enjoy a video that they are a sponsor of?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Thin Blue Line / oPeRaTOr bullshit, positioning themselves as the coffee company for MAGAts is what I'm aware of.

They did come to notoriety lately because Kyle Rittenhouse (noted murderer) was wearing one of their shirts immediately after being bailed out, but to BRCC's credit, they disavowed any interest in sponsoring or profiting from what they described as tragedy.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
They're pretty bad, but they do draw the line somewhere. But they're absolutely marketing directly and intentionally to the thin blue line, anti-BLM, gently caress your feelings, punisher logo wearing fash crowd.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Shame that they have to drag the Punisher down with them. I really liked the Thomas Jane movie, now every time I see the logo I think of fashist idiots instead of the character.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Shame that they have to drag the Punisher down with them. I really liked the Thomas Jane movie, now every time I see the logo I think of fashist idiots instead of the character.

I have hated the character of the Punisher for nearly my entire comic book Fandom. But the Netflix show tipping the character on it's ear and saying "brain damage and ptsd" was the first version I have ever enjoyed.

Bonus points for the traditional blue liner fans despising the changes.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

The creator of The Punisher hates that poo poo and quite rightly states that just like the cops in the comics, real life cops don't actually understand the character or what they themselves are supposed to stand for.

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/punisher-creator-gerry-conway-cops-using-the-skull-logo-are-like-people-using-the

quote:

What are your thoughts on the Punisher symbol being co-opted by police or the military?

I've talked about this in other interviews. To me, it's disturbing whenever I see authority figures embracing Punisher iconography because the Punisher represents a failure of the Justice system. He's supposed to indict the collapse of social moral authority and the reality some people can't depend on institutions like the police or the military to act in a just and capable way.

The vigilante anti-hero is fundamentally a critique of the justice system, an example of social failure, so when cops put Punisher skulls on their cars or members of the military wear Punisher skull patches, they're basically sides with an enemy of the system. They are embracing an outlaw mentality. Whether you think the Punisher is justified or not, whether you admire his code of ethics, he is an outlaw. He is a criminal. Police should not be embracing a criminal as their symbol.

It goes without saying. In a way, it's as offensive as putting a Confederate flag on a government building. My point of view is, the Punisher is an anti-hero, someone we might root for while remembering he's also an outlaw and criminal. If an officer of the law, representing the justice system puts a criminal's symbol on his police car, or shares challenge coins honoring a criminal he or she is making a very ill-advised statement about their understanding of the law.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 15, 2020

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Rhyno posted:

I have hated the character of the Punisher for nearly my entire comic book Fandom. But the Netflix show tipping the character on it's ear and saying "brain damage and ptsd" was the first version I have ever enjoyed.

Bonus points for the traditional blue liner fans despising the changes.

the netflix show was ok first season and then INCREDIBLY bad second season

Krakkles posted:

Agreed, except: The people who made the video do (at the very least, exposure, and much more likely, some amount of monetization), and the idea is to send the message that doing business with chuds isn't ok.

i gotta be honest besides the somewhat intangible benefits of marketing of "hoonigan" industries i bet these videos are a net loss for them, even with sponsors.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BraveUlysses posted:

the netflix show was ok first season and then INCREDIBLY bad second season

i gotta be honest besides the somewhat intangible benefits of marketing of "hoonigan" industries i bet these videos are a net loss for them, even with sponsors.

The action sequences in season 2 were fantastic but that's about all the good I can say about it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Krakkles posted:

Thin Blue Line / oPeRaTOr bullshit, positioning themselves as the coffee company for MAGAts is what I'm aware of.

They did come to notoriety lately because Kyle Rittenhouse (noted murderer) was wearing one of their shirts immediately after being bailed out, but to BRCC's credit, they disavowed any interest in sponsoring or profiting from what they described as tragedy.

I mean, they disavowed having anything to do with him after sharing a discount code and promoting their business in response to the original post.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

I don't know enough about business to disagree, except: If it weren't benefitting them somehow, they'd stop doing it. (I think that's what you meant by "somewhat intangible", just ... it might be hard to define, but it's there.)

Uthor posted:

I mean, they disavowed having anything to do with him after sharing a discount code and promoting their business in response to the original post.
Annnnnd, there it is.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
To bring it back to cars, I hate when people who have no awareness or enjoyment of Corvette Racing use the Jake skull logo as an avatar. At least the Punisher people know enough about him that they know he has a lot of guns and they sure do like guns.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Modus Man posted:

I’ll bite, since the only thing I know about black rifle coffee is that they are a company started by veterans, what did they actually do that’s so terrible that you can’t enjoy a video that they are a sponsor of?

I mean...

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

And, to be clear, I'm glad that a company is seeking to hire veterans. I'm not super into their promotion of the idea that (esp. brown) refugees are terrorists.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

It would be nice if they had hired nearly that many. (They didn't.)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Maybe it's because I'm not from the US, but to me much of the veteran stuff like above is super cringe and over the top to the point of being almost a caricature. I'd like to think that it's just a minority, but still.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

MrOnBicycle posted:

Maybe it's because I'm not from the US, but to me much of the veteran stuff like above is super cringe and over the top to the point of being almost a caricature. I'd like to think that it's just a minority, but still.
It’s a very vocal segment, and probably not a minority.

I’m with you. It’s especially complicated because our military does so much evil poo poo - like, yeah, I want to respect that someone went and did a necessary and hard thing that a lot of people aren’t willing to, but ... was it necessary?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I was gonna say it's a post-9/11 thing, but then remembered the 90's Desert Storm trading cards I had as a kid.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Storm_trading_cards