Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
?
This poll is closed.
Yes 44 35.20%
No 81 64.80%
Total: 125 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

PFIIIIIIZER....PFIIIIZER

VACCIIINE....VACCIIINE

Help me out, what's the right chant here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1338650022934683650?s=19

Just in case you needed a little more to add to your depression

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Seibikitei posted:

I find this fascinating and would subscribe to your newsletter. Any suggestions on where to go to learn more about this in depth? I saw something earlier, probably in a tweet, that they avoided Microsoft IPs like the plague.

I saw the Microsoft thing too, it was apparently built into a deny-list. Microsoft has really good infosec people working for them so they knew their stuff would be found.

Someone else said Solarwinds is an old company, and I agree... I was thinking about how popular it was back in the early 2000's, even in DoD - we would use it everywhere to monitor network status. I can only imagine how much they've grown since then. I'm guessing their internal development process has some issues.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

hannibal posted:

I saw the Microsoft thing too, it was apparently built into a deny-list. Microsoft has really good infosec people working for them so they knew their stuff would be found.

Someone else said Solarwinds is an old company, and I agree... I was thinking about how popular it was back in the early 2000's, even in DoD - we would use it everywhere to monitor network status. I can only imagine how much they've grown since then. I'm guessing their internal development process has some issues.

They're effectively legacy/infrastructure. If their packages ain't broke there's not a lot to be done when pushing product into production and to market. Whats really likely is that either SecDevOps is stuck in the early 2000s and didn't do a whole lot of network visibility investigation prior to any pushes to production that allowed for the bad actors to own the entire pipeline. It didn't even need to be a sophisticated initial attack as the product is stable, and won't have a TON of governance around it.

AppSec and DevOps kinda fail in that they assume a secure development environment and focus on the product itself rather than the situation in which development is occurring.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

I have a lot of thoughts on the subject and not much time to give my Ted talk. The short, short, short version is we have about three (human) generations of IT technology never designed with security in mind now globally interconnected. Security is still seen as an optional upgrade strongly encouraged to be purchased by the end user. So you don't get economies of scale because no one has the incentive to remove generations of poor design choices and rearchitect our digital infrastructure in a secure way. Basically the public only sees the wildfires but the actual issue is the decades of abysmal digital forest ecosystem management.

This is a very technology centric view of security. Lately I've come around to seeing security through the lens of an immune system. The right balance is to invest enough in defense such that you're unlikely to die from an infection, but occasionally you'll get knocked on your rear end for a while.

brains
May 12, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Breaking - haven't found a link yet but Bill Barr just resigned.
https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1338614874658590722

For Whom The Barr Tolls

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

wins32767 posted:

This is a very technology centric view of security. Lately I've come around to seeing security through the lens of an immune system. The right balance is to invest enough in defense such that you're unlikely to die from an infection, but occasionally you'll get knocked on your rear end for a while.

Hence the short, short version. Infosec at it's core is a policy and regulatory problem, not a tech problem. Things are insecure because there is there is not accountability or liability to shift the economic incentive to favor security. The immune system model is much better than the old castle mindset of cyber defense though.

E: some other topical content.
https://mobile.twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1338649269482479616

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Soylent Pudding posted:

Hence the short, short version. Infosec at it's core is a policy and regulatory problem, not a tech problem. Things are insecure because there is there is not accountability or liability to shift the economic incentive to favor security. The immune system model is much better than the old castle mindset of cyber defense though.

E: some other topical content.
https://mobile.twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1338649269482479616

You love to see it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

man this guy is not having good luck with the internet

https://twitter.com/jrw1672/status/1330868481261072384?s=20

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also, if you hadn't seen, the white house chief of security had to have his leg amputated due to covid complications and the family, much like mine, has had to use gofundme to pay the bills.

Oh yeah the praetorian guard is totally gonna go to the mat for president donnie when he fights his eviction.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Fallom posted:

Having top of the line healthcare still means $6k+ in deductibles and out of pocket expenses before you max out.

I'm on a grandfathered pre-ACA PPO individual plan with a $300 deductible and I pay an obscene amount per month. The only plan I've seen come close to mine is the platinum plan through Kaiser, which for the non-US people, is an HMO.

Oh, and to even find out about the best plans, you basically have to agree to let the health insurance companies badger you incessantly during Open Season. Non-stop phone calls and texts until you finally tell them to leave you the gently caress alone, and even then it won't stop until Open Season ends.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Dec 15, 2020

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Best way to get healthcare in this country is 1. be active duty military or 2. work for kaiser or be a spouse of someone working for kaiser.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008

ded posted:

Best way to get healthcare in this country is 1. be active duty military or 2. work for kaiser or be a spouse of someone working for kaiser.

Or be like me and get a flesh wound Purple Heart and also over 40% disability from other stuff. I once paid $8 after an er visit with stitches and antibiotics.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Or get hosed up enough to get medically retired- the amount I pay for my family's insurance is obscenely low.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I've been paying out of pocket for my Kaiser plan since its 500/month and I'm a type 1 diabetic so losing medical would be bad. I also have union health-care in case of a real emergency. I debate dropping Kaiser all the time due to the cost but that would make me entirely dependent on an employer plus the Kaiser plans employers offered weren't really much cheaper.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

current event: Todger Strunk
https://twitter.com/jacknicklaus/status/1338628170694750214

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Not sure what's worse: that name or the superspreader party he co-hosted.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Todger is british english for penis

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

That name sounds like one of those "American" names the Japanese devs came up with for that NES baseball game.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Putin called to congratulate Biden, apparently. That's gotta piss Trump off some more

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Putin called to congratulate Biden, apparently. That's gotta piss Trump off some more

I mean, trump did exactly what putin wanted, injected massive uncertainty in the electoral process, and has severely undermined his successors presidency before it even gets off the ground, which guarantees a weak Biden presidency, and putin will be free to do whatever he wants for another 4 years. Putin has no further need for trump.

Granted a Biden presidency wasn't going to be strong anyways, but any stance stiffer than kowtowing to dictators is an immovable mountain next to trump.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

Gotta love that optimism!
I didn't look at the election spread, but man these twerps make me wish I did. Also from reading the comments, it looks almost like some of these goobers made their bets after the initial count, which is even more fantastic.

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery

That tuition guy, who joined Twitter in October this year and has never made a tweet of his own, has now started a GoFundMe to make up for the “tuition” he “lost.” Griftin’ the night away...

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

This is a good thread breaking down a lot of the stuff about the current vaccines.

https://twitter.com/meganranney/status/1338841290100903937

excerpts but the whole thing worth a read

https://twitter.com/meganranney/status/1338841296950226944?s=20

https://twitter.com/meganranney/status/1338841304185376768?s=20

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I just hope they iron out the allergic reaction conditions before it rolls out to me. I'm in the same category as the people in the UK. I would rather get the vaccine over not, but also don't like not breathing.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

three hundred thousand dead.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

three hundred thousand dead.

It’s dumbfounding you me that we are in the worst case scenario from March/April. I see a lot of people who pay lip service to the precautions at this point.

My wife has an auto immune disorder so sans our PCS, she basically doesn’t leave the house but to drop off our daughter at school. I work, do the grocery shopping, etc. I see all sorts of people 1/2 masked, having dinner at indoor restaurants, working out in an incloses garage with 4 or 5 friends.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
I'm not sure how we recover from 1 in 1100 Americans dead, and by the time this is done, probably more like 1 in 800 Americans dead, because one of our two ruling parties decided that masks were tyranny, then marched armed around statehouses demanding that Americans be allowed to die because ____.

Like, how do we move past this? How do each of us personally forgive them for this poo poo, especially those who have lost someone?

I have this pit of anger and the worst my family has suffered is that I haven't seen my parents since last fall and we had to have a socially distanced graveside funeral service for my grandma (who died of being 96, not of covid) that my mom couldn't attend because she is immunocompromized.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

It’s dumbfounding you me that we are in the worst case scenario from March/April. I see a lot of people who pay lip service to the precautions at this point.

My wife has an auto immune disorder so sans our PCS, she basically doesn’t leave the house but to drop off our daughter at school. I work, do the grocery shopping, etc. I see all sorts of people 1/2 masked, having dinner at indoor restaurants, working out in an incloses garage with 4 or 5 friends.

I was quarantining here to be safe to be able to go visit my parents (and just my parents) for Christmas. My university offered covid testing free (non-rapid, same day lab results) that I was taking advantage of weekly.

The house I'm living in out here just did a scheduled tour and let 8 (!!!) college-age dudes come in, two of whom had their masks around their chins halfway through and I had to tell them to knock that poo poo off.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Apathy is the opiate of the ignorant.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Wasabi the J posted:

Apathy is the opiate of the ignorant.

Apathy is this country’s pastime. It’s why corporations are able to kill employees with Covid and demand liability protections.

We march and protest primarily as a reactionary measure. Any proactive protests last a day and fizzle off.

We deserve everything we have because we are tacitly ok with it outside of shitposting and complaining online.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

stealie72 posted:

I'm not sure how we recover from 1 in 1100 Americans dead, and by the time this is done, probably more like 1 in 800 Americans dead, because one of our two ruling parties decided that masks were tyranny, then marched armed around statehouses demanding that Americans be allowed to die because ____.

Like, how do we move past this? How do each of us personally forgive them for this poo poo, especially those who have lost someone?

I have this pit of anger and the worst my family has suffered is that I haven't seen my parents since last fall and we had to have a socially distanced graveside funeral service for my grandma (who died of being 96, not of covid) that my mom couldn't attend because she is immunocompromized.

It's because one of our two parties allowed a megalomaniac to rise to power and grab the entire Party by the balls to the point no one would stand up to him save for Mitt Romney for fear of being ruined by he and his cult, all the while allowing him to do irreparable damage to this country through horrible mismanagement of a pandemic and sowing distrust in the electoral system because he was afraid of losing (so he could have a boogeyman to blame if he did).

TL;DR- I'm probably never voting Republican again.

TidePods4Lunch
Apr 24, 2005
You can't kill me, I'm made out of invincible!
https://twitter.com/dcdufour/status/1338839302097174528?s=21

https://twitter.com/dcdufour/status/1338853902805065728?s=21

The dude really should teach a masters class on gritting.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Thought that was TrumpU??

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CBJSprague24 posted:

It's because one of our two parties allowed a megalomaniac to rise to power and grab the entire Party by the balls

Trump was the best the GOP had to offer in 2016.

Kasich, Cruz, Christie, Rubio, Carson, ¡JEB!, Paul, Huckabee, Fiorina? What a bunch of clowns. It’s easy to pick one of them as preferable now that Trump has been witnessed wielding executive power, but with that circus, Trump didn’t look bad in comparison.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I think my favorite bit of cognitive dissonance from this whole shitshow is people saying that with record numbers of people voting (but only for trump) that its crazy how hard they had to work to steal the election. Its amazing doublethink that only one side of this could have shattered voting records in the country and all other votes are fake. But then again these are also the people who believe that trunp won last time even though there were 3 millions illegal votes cast against him so v0v

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
No he definitely looked bad. He just had the most vocal segment of supporters and all this either names split their voting bases.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thwomp posted:

No he definitely looked bad. He just had the most vocal segment of supporters and all this either names split their voting bases.

I don’t believe it would have mattered if more candidates had dropped out earlier.

Trump did nearly as well as all of them combined in polls and in the early states, and every time a candidate did drop out, he picked up a significant fraction of their supporters. Mathematically, the best shot would have been to keep everyone in and go for a brokered convention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Stravag posted:

I think my favorite bit of cognitive dissonance from this whole shitshow is people saying that with record numbers of people voting (but only for trump) that its crazy how hard they had to work to steal the election. Its amazing doublethink that only one side of this could have shattered voting records in the country and all other votes are fake. But then again these are also the people who believe that trunp won last time even though there were 3 millions illegal votes cast against him so v0v

I went to a Trevor Noah show in 2018 and he had a bit about Trump, which drew boos from the crowd. His responses were "Don't boo, vote.", which led to applause, and something like "Whether you like him or not, Trump has created interest in politics unlike anything in recent memory".

In other words, a POTUS who, at that point, wasn't even halfway into his first term, had drawn such interest in government (and much of it was directly to counter him) that it was possible even then that millions of people would come out to vote against him. Give it a couple more years in which he was Impeached (and his party later admitted "yeah, he pretty much did it"), completely fumbled the response to a once-in-a-century pandemic by claiming it was a hoax, and stoked racial division reminiscent of 1968 and, much to his chagrin, people don't vote on who held the most rallies, but for other reasons such as "We don't want four more years of this rear end in a top hat".

Trump's not challenging ballots in states he initially trailed in but won because :lol:, why be consistent? The worst part is his followers, who held obnoxious poo poo like boat and truck parades, sincerely believe he had it stolen from him.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 15, 2020