Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

FreudianSlippers posted:

It amazes me that Mormonism has millions of followers worldwide because it's so transparently a wacky scheme by a known conman that got way out of hand.

It's important to remember that a decently large amount of Mormons recorded in statistics are members in record only. They don't erase someone's membership status off of the records unless they go through a specific process (I don't know what process that is because I don't care enough to erase my own membership).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

FreudianSlippers posted:

It amazes me that Mormonism has millions of followers worldwide because it's so transparently a wacky scheme by a known conman that got way out of hand. It's like if the Manson family had somehow become a huge international religion except the Mormons killed a lot more people.

If something hosed up is going down in Africa odds are the French have their fingers in it.

Whereas if the Belgians are involved, they're in it up to the wrist.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

drrockso20 posted:

Not to mention some Anglicans who have ended up deciding to rejoin the Catholic Church and brought back with them some of the things that their old church had thought up over the centuries that doesn't directly clash with Catholicism(which is actually in many respects more diverse than most Protestant churches are)

This is the one weird trick to be a married priest.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Nah it’s all France.

Wait, it's all France? Always has been.

Imagine I posted that meme here. But don't imagine too hard because posting memes in some threads is probatable, and I don't want to eat a probe because your imagination was too good.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Facebook Aunt posted:

Wait, it's all France? Always has been.

Imagine I posted that meme here. But don't imagine too hard because posting memes in some threads is probatable, and I don't want to eat a probe because your imagination was too good.
God, if this was the right subforum for me to be able to, giving you a comedy sixer of "I imagined too hard" would've been the funniest thing I'd do all month.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

PMush Perfect posted:

God, if this was the right subforum for me to be able to, giving you a comedy sixer of "I imagined too hard" would've been the funniest thing I'd do all month.

And you'd be right to do it. Playing with imaginary memes is playing with fire.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

christmas boots posted:

What's France up to? I normally don't pay attention to the crimes of other countries because who cares, they're not us. But what's their deal these days?

Australians are mad at France because of their testing of atomic bombs on Muroroa Atol
New Zealanders are mad at France about their sinking of the Rainbow Warrior. (Also for the 1999 Rugby World Cup Semi-Finals)

Edit: Re: Anglicans converting to Catholicism.

Horrible barely human troll Anne Widdecombe converted from Anglicanism to Catholocism when teh Anglicans allowed women to become priests. Because, you know, why would you want to belong to a religion that believes that people of your gender can also be close to god.

BrigadierSensible has a new favorite as of 10:00 on Dec 15, 2020

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

CharlestheHammer posted:

What that’s Calvinism which was early in the process but died out more or less.

Not sure what you mean, the various Reformed churches all over the world still have well over 100 million members put together after all (though I couldn't really say how closely they still stick to OG calvinism), and the four soli (sola gratia, sola fide, sola scriptura and solus Christus) have all been formulated by Luther and are a core part of Protestant theology. The doctrine of double predestination, i.e. that God has predestined some to be saved and others to burn in hell, is part of what separates Calvinism from Lutheranism which maintains that, while the Gospel says that all will be saved, God's will ultimately isn't discernible to men and it would therefore be presumptuous to say that some people definitely can't be saved - but the theory of "justification by grace alone through faith alone in Christ's righteousness alone" is, as far as I can tell as a non-theologian, still a core tenet of Lutheran/Protestant doctrine

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

BrigadierSensible posted:

Australians are mad at France because of their testing of atomic bombs on Muroroa Atol
New Zealanders are mad at France about their sinking of the Rainbow Warrior. (Also for the 1999 Rugby World Cup Semi-Finals)

Edit: Re: Anglicans converting to Catholicism.

Horrible barely human troll Anne Widdecombe converted from Anglicanism to Catholocism when teh Anglicans allowed women to become priests. Because, you know, why would you want to belong to a religion that believes that people of your gender can also be close to god.

catholics: Cuck me, Lord! Cuck me like you cucked your son's father!

the local dioclese: :thisisfine:

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Sulla Faex posted:

catholics: Cuck me, Lord! Cuck me like you cucked your son's father!

the local dioclese: :thisisfine:

That's not how it worked at all

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

catholics' shadows turn milk sour

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

drrockso20 posted:

That's not how it worked at all

Despite technically being Roman Catholic I'm not well versed in the doctrine, but I've always seen the need for an immaculate conception as being academic trickery to reinforce rather than review toxic gender ideals. Like you need to go out of your way to clarify that this heavenly example doesn't relate to real world scenarios and morality, yet you don't apply this same exceptionary (is that a word? it's underlined red) logic to anything that supports your established bigotry. Cucking as a misogynist fascination is also, to me at least, an established phenomenon..

e: (I'm not saying it was a good joke, mind. Just that I don't reckon it slips as much as you're saying, although I could be missing a lot)

Sulla Faex has a new favorite as of 11:40 on Dec 15, 2020

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Sulla Faex posted:

Despite technically being Roman Catholic I'm not well versed in the doctrine, but I've always seen the need for an immaculate conception as being academic trickery to reinforce rather than review toxic gender ideals. Like you need to go out of your way to clarify that this heavenly example doesn't relate to real world scenarios and morality, yet you don't apply this same exceptionary (is that a word? it's underlined red) logic to anything that supports your established bigotry. Cucking as a misogynist fascination is also, to me at least, an established phenomenon..

e: (I'm not saying it was a good joke, mind. Just that I don't reckon it slips as much as you're saying, although I could be missing a lot)

The whole point of Immaculate Conception is that Mary was born without Original Sin as a prerequisite of her being the Mother of God, and in turn lived her entire earthly life without Personal Sin either

Immaculate Conception is not about Mary's virgin pregnancy or birth of Jesus, it refers to her own conception by her mother St Anne

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Frankly I don’t get why you folks don’t renounce your false Messiah and his thousand churches and just learn hebrew and wear a fuckin kippah like a normal person

:hmmyes:

Mr. Sunshine
May 15, 2008

This is a scrunt that has been in space too long and become a Lunt (Long Scrunt)

Fun Shoe
Let's recreate the 30 years war in the PYF Historical Fun Fact thread! We beat the Catholic League once, we can do it again!

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Mr. Sunshine posted:

Let's recreate the 30 years war in the PYF Historical Fun Fact thread! We beat the Catholic League once, we can do it again!

Easy, everyone already curses the Finn.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Angry Salami posted:

Hating the English is something that can bring the whole world together.
It's not the handshake meme, it's the knights all pointing their sword at the center of the table meme.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Speaking of guilt, confession, and absolution, there was a weird period in Denmark in the 1700s.

Basically, you go straight to hell if you commit suicide, but if you are sentenced to death, you get a priest for your confession and since you are forgiven, you can go to heaven. Murder victims also go to heaven, though they didn't have time to confess.

Which basically meant that depressed people were incentivized to commit murder in order to be sentenced to death. Post-partum mothers killing babies, husbands killing wives, or just someone killing a random stranger, etc. These were referred to as "melancholy murderers".

At the time, theology and jurisprudence considered the death penalty mandatory for murder, no exception. So in order to counter these murders, the king issued regulations in 1749 that supplemented the death penalty for the premeditated murder of family members and strangers with "pinching with heated pliers", first in town square, then outside the crime scene, and finally at the place of execution. The hand should be cut off while they were living, and after beheading, the body would be put on display.

This didn't help much though, and after much debate and resistance, the death penalty was in 1767 instead changed to hard labor for life for those types of cases, which appears to have worked: No death penalty, no heaven, no motivation for depressed people to do murder :eng101:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Carthag Tuek posted:

Speaking of guilt, confession, and absolution, there was a weird period in Denmark in the 1700s.

Basically, you go straight to hell if you commit suicide, but if you are sentenced to death, you get a priest for your confession and since you are forgiven, you can go to heaven. Murder victims also go to heaven, though they didn't have time to confess.

Which basically meant that depressed people were incentivized to commit murder in order to be sentenced to death. Post-partum mothers killing babies, husbands killing wives, or just someone killing a random stranger, etc. These were referred to as "melancholy murderers".

At the time, theology and jurisprudence considered the death penalty mandatory for murder, no exception. So in order to counter these murders, the king issued regulations in 1749 that supplemented the death penalty for the premeditated murder of family members and strangers with "pinching with heated pliers", first in town square, then outside the crime scene, and finally at the place of execution. The hand should be cut off while they were living, and after beheading, the body would be put on display.

This didn't help much though, and after much debate and resistance, the death penalty was in 1767 instead changed to hard labor for life for those types of cases, which appears to have worked: No death penalty, no heaven, no motivation for depressed people to do murder :eng101:

This phenomenon also extended beyond Denmark, with plenty of similar examples being recorded in Sweden and all of Germany, especially its northern/Protestant parts. Kathy Stuart's Suicide by Proxy: The Unintended Consequences of Public Executions in Eighteenth-Century Germany (Central European History 41 (2008), pp. 413-445) is a fascinating and highly recommended read on this topic

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

System Metternich posted:

This phenomenon also extended beyond Denmark, with plenty of similar examples being recorded in Sweden and all of Germany, especially its northern/Protestant parts. Kathy Stuart's Suicide by Proxy: The Unintended Consequences of Public Executions in Eighteenth-Century Germany (Central European History 41 (2008), pp. 413-445) is a fascinating and highly recommended read on this topic

Thanks! Found it on sci-hub. Here are some very interesting quotes from the perpetrators:

quote:

[Huet] related the case of a Swede of sound mind and good reputation who stabbed a four-year-old boy in the neck as he was playing in front of his parents' house. Huet reported the man's confession: "I know very well there is no surer way to achieve eternal salvation than if the fully conscious soul exits a strong body..., and is carried upward to God by the pious prayers of people of faith.... I realized it would be impossble to die this way unless I committed a capital crime, so I thought it would be easiest... if I killed a boy not yet corrupted by this life." The man, Huet reported, went to his death "joyfully, loudly singing sacred hymns."

quote:

After a pause of ten years, the murders resumed in November 1701, when a local citizen"s daughter drowned her six-month-old baby sister in a fishpond, "out of impatience and weariness with her life. Immediately after the deed she appeared at city hall to turn herself in. The following March, a spurned lover, the only male perpetrator of suicide that I have been able to identify in Nuremberg, decided to shoot himself, but then "out of fear of eternal damnation, he changed his mind," and shot his lover instead." Fourteen months later, in June 1703, a beggar woman turned herself in after throwing her baby in the river Pegnitz. She had made several attempts to drown herself with the baby, but the thought of eternal damnation prevented her. She finally threw her child into the river, "so that this way she would be killed as well?" In 1709 a butcher's daughter turned herself in after decapitat- ing a nine-year-old girl with a butcher"s knife. She confessed "that for no legit- imate (rechtmdssig) reason she developed a weariness of her life and decided to attack and kill the next child that crossed her path." When the deed was done, she felt repentance, so she picked up her prayer book at home before turning herself in at city hall.

It seems to have been mainly a Protestant phenomenon, but apparently it also happened in Catholic areas:

quote:

Cases of suicide by proxy occurred in villages in Brandenburg (Lutheran), Silesia (confessionally mixed), Saxony (Lutheran), Swabia (confessionally mixed), Bavaria (Catholic), in upper and lower Austria (Catholic), and many other regions within the Holy Roman Empire. Such murders are also documented for France in the early nineteenth century.

It is clear that the incidence of suicide by proxy extended well beyond Scandinavia and northeastern Germany, and that Catholics as well as Protestants engaged in the practice. The nine people executed for suicide by proxy in Vienna were, unsurprisingly, all Catholic. The prostitute Margaretha N., alias Schilichte Grödl, executed in Munich in 1783 for drowning a baby girl in the Isar River, was Catholic. Two of the five confirmed proxy killings in Augsburg were committed by Catholics, as was the one attempted proxy murder. After the Catholic miller "S. A." from Hilpoltstein in Bavaria unsuccessfully tried to cut the throat of his five-year-old son in 1724, he was cured of his mental distress by going on a pilgrimage to the nearby Jesuit shrine of Heilig Kreuz in Bergen, near Neuburg an der Donau. The cure was not permanent, however. Twentyone years later he cut the throat of his nine-year-old daughter. "It was a gift from God," he told his interrogators, that he had killed his child and not himself, "for in the contrary case he would have gone to the devil with body and soul." The Silesian Catholic peasant Hans-Christian Henatschel cut the throat of his nine- week-old baby in 1762, after praying to the saints and engaging in a Friday fast failed to stave off his suicidal urges.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

That kind of thing happened a lot throughout Christian history, it was especially an issue in the first couple centuries of the faith as people would basically do violent stuff so they would get murdered in turn and become "martyrs" and thus get a quick and easy pass into heaven

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

The Jews: That's...That's not how you rules-lawyer God...:stare:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

drrockso20 posted:

That kind of thing happened a lot throughout Christian history, it was especially an issue in the first couple centuries of the faith as people would basically do violent stuff so they would get murdered in turn and become "martyrs" and thus get a quick and easy pass into heaven

Circumcellions are so hot right now.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

tribbledirigible posted:

The Jews: That's...That's not how you rules-lawyer God...:stare:

lol yeah it's pretty bizarre, but it kind of makes sense in a hosed up way

The paper that Metternich mentioned actually also gets into blood libel:

quote:

Just like the mythical killings of the blood libel, the killings associated with suicide by proxy unfolded according to a particular liturgy of violence. In the myth of Jewish ritual murder, groups of Jewish men were believed to murder male Christian children as a form of religious sacrifice. Women might be involved on the periphery. In suicides by proxy, individual Christians acting alone, predominantly women, murdered Christian children of both sexes. [...]

If the perpetrators of suicide by proxy were in some sense annihilating themselves as they killed their victim, even before they mounted the scaffold themselves, they also understood the murder as a religious offering. As in the child killings associated with the blood libel, the child-victims of suicide by proxy were constructed as martyrs. A closer look at the interactions between victim and killer will illustrate the ritualistic and sacrificial nature of these killings. This essay began with a description of the extraordinary scene in 1704 of Agnes Schickin affectionately delousing the boy whose throat she would cut a short time later. This type of affectionate exchange between killer and victim was typical of these murders. Margeretha Mayrin’s murder of her neighbors’ two-year-old daughter in the village of Herprechtingen in Wiirttemberg in 1703 is a case in point. She dropped by her neighbor, who was a shoemaker, to borrow some wire to repair her shoes. As she was waiting for him to cut the wire, she picked up the toddler, kissed and hugged her, and then took the girl home with her for a visit. After a while, the girl’s mother came by to give Mayrin a gift of some milk and to pick up her daughter. Mayrin, in turn, gave the mother some bread, and persuaded her to let the girl stay longer. Subsequent to this exchange of gifts, alone with the child again, Mayrin smashed the girl’s head against a wall, shattering her skull. Such gifts of food are a common theme, though typically the murderers gave or shared food with the child-victim. After she had plied the mother with beer and had gained access to her victim, the prostitute Margaretha N. fed the little girl a bowl of oatmeal just before she drowned her in the Isar. In 1753 the soldier Daniel Völkner from Mecklenburg shared his evening meal with the little girl who was his intended victim, just before he cut her throat. These gifts of food or shared meal are evocative of the “last meal” (Henkersmahizeit) served to condemned criminals before their execution, and served the same symbolic purpose. In the days leading up to their execution, ce poor sinners” were provided with whatever foods they desired, and in some regions, the condemned shared a meal with judges and executioner. By accepting special food, the condemned expressed that they were at peace with the judges and agreed to play their scripted role during their upcoming execution.'' Similarly, when perpetrators of suicide by proxy offered food to their victims, such gifts were designed to elicit and express their victims’ consent.

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 19:06 on Dec 15, 2020

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

I’m not sure if I completely buy Stuart‘s „oh, it only seems like a mainly Protestant phenomenon because they were better at writing it down“ argument, it seems kinda handwavey to me

Suicide by proxy also is still a thing, just not necessarily for religious reasons - just think of suicide by cop, for example. There are also examples from the same time for non-religious suicides by proxy, like this one case I read about in 1770s Ulm where a noble who had come back from the seven years war with what nowadays we would probably call a bad case of ptsd randomly shot a man in order to be executed because he couldn’t manage to pull the trigger on himself. The nobleman himself stated to the investigators that religion played no role at all, he just felt it easier to kill somebody else than himself

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PizzaProwler posted:

It's important to remember that a decently large amount of Mormons recorded in statistics are members in record only. They don't erase someone's membership status off of the records unless they go through a specific process (I don't know what process that is because I don't care enough to erase my own membership).

Don’t some churches also like to posthumously baptize people into mormonism? Anne Frank is one I see mentioned a lot

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Don’t some churches also like to posthumously baptize people into mormonism? Anne Frank is one I see mentioned a lot

Hitler was baptised via proxy in London on 10 December 1993.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

FreudianSlippers posted:

It amazes me that Mormonism has millions of followers worldwide because it's so transparently a wacky scheme by a known conman that got way out of hand. It's like if the Manson family had somehow become a huge international religion except the Mormons killed a lot more people.

Speaking of way out of hand and to bring it back to Anglicanism, the mere fact of a monarch telling the Pope to go suck it had quite the cultural effect on British culture.

Suddenly the whole idea of teaching people who couldn't read how to think about God via pictures was blasphemy and false idols (and there was all that loot to be had) and churches were whitewashed (well those they didn't burn down). Then of course you couldn't possibly have anyone Catholic connected to the monarchy and various amusing scenarios played out over the succeeding centuries connected to that, but it seems that the overall paranoia about Papists under the bed was an undimmed cultural force well into the 19th century. I've read books dating from that period just frothing with rage and fear about this or that persons unseen ties to Papist plotting, it has all the hallmarks of the kind of conspiracy theorizing you see in antisemitism later on,

Although nominally starting as Presbyterians, we got taken up into the ongoing ecumenical experiment that is the Uniting Church of Australia, a sort of conglomeration of Methodism, Presbyterianism, Congregationalism and a few other bits and bobs which manages to be the most progressive form of Christianity there is in the country. It is very not the other kinds of Protestantism, and I almost wish I could believe again because they seem rather nice compared to Hillsong.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

System Metternich posted:

I’m not sure if I completely buy Stuart‘s „oh, it only seems like a mainly Protestant phenomenon because they were better at writing it down“ argument, it seems kinda handwavey to me

Suicide by proxy also is still a thing, just not necessarily for religious reasons - just think of suicide by cop, for example. There are also examples from the same time for non-religious suicides by proxy, like this one case I read about in 1770s Ulm where a noble who had come back from the seven years war with what nowadays we would probably call a bad case of ptsd randomly shot a man in order to be executed because he couldn’t manage to pull the trigger on himself. The nobleman himself stated to the investigators that religion played no role at all, he just felt it easier to kill somebody else than himself

Oh yeah for sure

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

drrockso20 posted:

The whole point of Immaculate Conception is that Mary was born without Original Sin as a prerequisite of her being the Mother of God, and in turn lived her entire earthly life without Personal Sin either

Immaculate Conception is not about Mary's virgin pregnancy or birth of Jesus, it refers to her own conception by her mother St Anne

:aaa: apparently years of being taught Catholic doctrine was not enough for me to understand this very basic concept.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

A lot of people were murdered as heretics because they thought people other than Maria were born without sin.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

3D Megadoodoo posted:

A lot of people were murdered as heretics because they thought people other than Maria were born without sin.

What about Adam and Eve? :smuggo:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They weren't born

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
poo poo, you're right.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

They weren't born

Man, what a gotcha.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kevin DuBrow posted:

:aaa: apparently years of being taught Catholic doctrine was not enough for me to understand this very basic concept.

To be fair while I had known that already I was cross referencing a couple Wikipedia pages on Mary while typing that post up to make sure I wasn't getting anything too wrong

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I would have sworn immaculate conception was Jesus, not Mary. :monocle:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I would have sworn immaculate conception was Jesus, not Mary. :monocle:

Immaculate Conception and Virgin Birth get conflated a lot in pop culture. Probably doesn't help that the "conception" part makes it sound like it should be part of the same thing and the idea that Mary was born free of sin is not really a thing in protestant tradition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Though it should be stated for practical purposes it doesn’t really matter