Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
man even robots be clipping through the floor and t-posing in cyberpunk

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Casual Encountess posted:

is there any cyberpunk that extensively takes place in non-traditional cyberpunk settings like, paris, the middle east, africa, or other points?

ian mcdonald [one of my favorite authors] has a non-series series where he wrote semi-cyberpunk with an occasional weird dash of magical realism and a lot of cultural exploration in various locations, my favorite is the dervish house but river of gods/cyberadad days and brasyl are good too

terminal cafe/necroville is a good old school cyber novel too

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

mediaphage posted:

the lights are probably already in reflectors. we see the same thing in ontario with legal cannabis grow operations (although its standard warm white light). it would likely cost more in materials and labour (because you'd want to completely remove obstructions between the plants and sunlight during the day) than you'd ever get back in savings on fewer lights / less power.

the biggest issue with this imo is the effect it might have on wildlife.

You rotate strips of material reflective on both sides above the lights. Removal is unnecessary.

You'd not get it back on power with the way power's subsidized but it would make them less lovely for the neighbors and wildlife.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
you could also argue that roadside picnic is a sort of cyberpunk since it's got the rich/poor dichotomy in a world changed by advanced technology, and it takes place in northern canada

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

endlessmonotony posted:

You rotate strips of material reflective on both sides above the lights. Removal is unnecessary.

You'd not get it back on power with the way power's subsidized but it would make them less lovely for the neighbors and wildlife.

i understand how venetian blinds work, but there is a non-zero light blocking effect they have even when tilted fully open that these people are not going to want to undertake.

instead, you would need to encase the entire structure in a covering of some kind (likely automated blankets or similar fabric) in order to prevent that kind of glow: most of these operations are in completely or mostly transparent buildings.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

mediaphage posted:

i understand how venetian blinds work, but there is a non-zero light blocking effect they have even when tilted fully open that these people are not going to want to undertake.

instead, you would need to encase the entire structure in a covering of some kind (likely automated blankets or similar fabric) in order to prevent that kind of glow: most of these operations are in completely or mostly transparent buildings.

Why?

If both sides are decently reflective and the strips are wide enough, the amount of light lost is minimal.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

is there any cyberpunk that extensively takes place in non-traditional cyberpunk settings like, paris, the middle east, africa, or other points?

Most of Paolo Bacigalupi's works fall into my definition of cyberpunk.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

dragonshardz posted:

Most of Paolo Bacigalupi's works fall into my definition of cyberpunk.

i was gonna post his stuff but urban thailand and the deserts of america are pretty traditional cyberpunk settings.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
Otherland spends a lot of time in South Africa

that’s cyberpunk right??

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Kenny Logins posted:

smdh if u don’t t-pose when u bust a nut

cool sagebrush video

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Sagebrush posted:

i was gonna post his stuff but urban thailand and the deserts of america are pretty traditional cyberpunk settings.

I thought for sure the Shipbreaker books were set in Africa, and remembered one specifically mentioning Nairobi, but they're all three set in the US and mention New Orleans.

Oh well.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lol I have posted 'fashion' tech stuff ITT before but I think this takes the cyber-biscuit

https://mdnt45.com/collections/new-collection-aw-21/products/warm-vest-kupu

I hate it, but at the same time I am intrigued.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i mildly wish it was widespread acceptable to wear that because it looks like you could nap anywhere in comfort

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

I guess converting a sleeping bag into a hobo vest counts as cyberpunk.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Cyber sleeping bag

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

dragonshardz posted:

I guess converting a sleeping bag into a hobo vest counts as cyberpunk.

the street finds its own uses for things

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Fashion is cool. Why wouldn't you be able to wear that out in public?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Jonny 290 posted:

Fashion is cool. Why wouldn't you be able to wear that out in public?

Some people have shame, because they haven't yet realized they've almost survived 2020.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

lol I have posted 'fashion' tech stuff ITT before but I think this takes the cyber-biscuit

it's one of those bob vila vests with a popped collar

keeps you warm on the jobsite and cool at the club

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

big puffy jackets are quintessential cyberpunk

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

a classic: https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/fyad-future-timeline/1/

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

dragonshardz posted:

I thought for sure the Shipbreaker books were set in Africa, and remembered one specifically mentioning Nairobi, but they're all three set in the US and mention New Orleans.

Oh well.

i was going to say Autonomous was, though it's not strictly cyberpunk (bit of biopunk?), but i think it's just the ai is indentured to the African Federation, then they leave there for the later story. most of the book, I believe, takes place in canada as central North America is a ruined climate due to warming

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

qirex posted:

ian mcdonald [one of my favorite authors] has a non-series series where he wrote semi-cyberpunk with an occasional weird dash of magical realism and a lot of cultural exploration in various locations, my favorite is the dervish house but river of gods/cyberadad days and brasyl are good too

terminal cafe/necroville is a good old school cyber novel too

I read river of gods years ago, iirc one character is literally trying to steal bill gates' head or something , I didn't know he wrote others and forgot about him as an author, I should look these up!

also i think the Chung Kuo novels were cyberpunk in parts but its been maybe 20 years since I read two of them out of sequence, though I started reading them from scratch (though the author seems to have gone back and written like 5 more to pad them out so it's like 20 books now which is efffffooorrrrt) and so far it's some sort of pastoral post apocalypse

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Silver Alicorn posted:

Otherland spends a lot of time in South Africa

that’s cyberpunk right??

I cannot stress enough how disappointing the end of these books was

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it was so disappointing I forgot it entirely

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

Sagebrush posted:

yeah like im specifically excluding asia and america in this. i wanna see some cyberfunk neonubian poo poo. see how africa looks in the cyberpunk age or something.

edit: i don't know where i'd put cyberpunk india on this

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yeah like im specifically excluding asia and america in this. i wanna see some cyberfunk neonubian poo poo. see how africa looks in the cyberpunk age or something.

deus ex 2 I guess, technically

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

also i think the Chung Kuo novels were cyberpunk in parts but its been maybe 20 years since I read two of them out of sequence, though I started reading them from scratch (though the author seems to have gone back and written like 5 more to pad them out so it's like 20 books now which is efffffooorrrrt) and so far it's some sort of pastoral post apocalypse
Powerful Two-Hander thought about re-reading the Chung Kuo series, and shivered.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I cannot stress enough how disappointing the end of these books was

I think everyone who read them read the fourth book just knowing it was going to be bad but never really imagining how bad it could be. I can't remember much of anything specific about the story or characters, just that it peaked in book 2, book 3 was bad and book 4 was just the worst. at the time I had a 90 minute each way commute so I was buying books for length

mcdonald also wrote chaga/evolution's shore [stupid us-specific naming] which is literally the idea of the southern reach books written decades earlier and takes place in africa

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Carthag Tuek posted:

When Gravity Fails by George Alec Effinger takes place in the Middle East.

this book, specifically, is pretty good. the sequels are not so much.

the second and third book are basically the main character becoming a cop and the quality of writing drops pretty dramatically imo

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Tony Pizzuto Says Hello

NoneMoreNegative posted:

i want you, NMN, to be the face, the image, nay, the spirit of derelicte

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

infernal machines posted:

this book, specifically, is pretty good. the sequels are not so much.

the second and third book are basically the main character becoming a cop and the quality of writing drops pretty dramatically imo

i dont think i actually finished the second book haha

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

also that vest looks like it would leave your tummy cold

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
that’s why you put on a smaller vest to wear under the big one

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Hobopunk

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

big square clothes are IN. it'll be all puffy padding and right angles in 2021

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
:sickos:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

NoneMoreNegative posted:

finally, a horse blanket for people