Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Attestant posted:

I assume the OP post on airbrushes is mostly up to date? Doesn't seem like a field that has gone through massive upheavals during the past few years, unless some new recommended stuff has popped up recently? Mostly thinking about getting in to airbrushing mostly for the sake of winter priming, so I'm looking at the entry level options.

Yeah the only thing from the OP that is questionable at this point is the blanket recommendation of the Patriot 105 as a first time airbrush. There's been a lot of talk lately about Quality Control issues from Badger. It's still a good brush, and Badger has a good return policy, but jumping through a bunch of hoops after a purchase because you got the bum unit is a drag.

If you're only going to be priming/base coating, then one of the Master Airbrush combos from Amazon would probably be a perfectly acceptable solution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
I have been working on my custom blood angels judicar for a while and he's about table ready now, so here we go:

I haven't done the blade on the powersword yet and not sure how I want to do it yet to be honest. I kinda like the black/red gradient and might try to do some NMM effect with it but I have 0 experience doing that and have other projects that are more pressing than getting this guy parade ready just yet. Sword looks sick at a glance for now. :colbert:

my wife has expressed interest in playing with these toy soldiers with me so I've had an incentive to get some guys battle ready! I think I'll have at least a combat patrol ready soon, working through the last details on my HQs and elites. After that, I'm going to take some time to take a Gundam Break.

So... what base size do knight-titans come on?

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 14, 2020

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah the only thing from the OP that is questionable at this point is the blanket recommendation of the Patriot 105 as a first time airbrush. There's been a lot of talk lately about Quality Control issues from Badger. It's still a good brush, and Badger has a good return policy, but jumping through a bunch of hoops after a purchase because you got the bum unit is a drag.

If you're only going to be priming/base coating, then one of the Master Airbrush combos from Amazon would probably be a perfectly acceptable solution.

Thanks. I was kinda vary of cheaper sets like that, but maybe it's not a bad place to start. I'm assuming you mean something of this sort? https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Multi-purpose-Dual-action-Compressor/dp/B002KSQHB6?th=1

I'm on the EU side so I don't have quite the same stuff available (Badger actually seems like a bit of a pain to get), but seems like there are similar products like https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Airbrush-Compressor-Compressed-Piston-Storage/dp/B00LO4PKY2 or https://www.amazon.de/-/en/FD-186K-Airbrush-compressor-accessories-Professional/dp/B01984G4SU/, so guess I'll look at what people have to say. I don't entirely trust Amazon reviews on stuff like this, but neither unit has too many terrible reviews.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Attestant posted:

Thanks. I was kinda vary of cheaper sets like that, but maybe it's not a bad place to start. I'm assuming you mean something of this sort? https://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush-Multi-purpose-Dual-action-Compressor/dp/B002KSQHB6?th=1

I'm on the EU side so I don't have quite the same stuff available (Badger actually seems like a bit of a pain to get), but seems like there are similar products like https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Airbrush-Compressor-Compressed-Piston-Storage/dp/B00LO4PKY2 or https://www.amazon.de/-/en/FD-186K-Airbrush-compressor-accessories-Professional/dp/B01984G4SU/, so guess I'll look at what people have to say. I don't entirely trust Amazon reviews on stuff like this, but neither unit has too many terrible reviews.

I started with the Fengda one and it's been great

The compressor heats up quite a bit but that's why you have the tank. The airbrush itself is trying to be an Iwata I think, I got (and can still get) very good results from it but it's kinda rickety and difficult to clean. If you are looking to see if you are going to enjoy airbrushing or not, it's a good place to start, and you can invest in better equipment down the road if you decide it's something you like.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 14, 2020

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Dreylad posted:

Welp. I was lamenting to a friend that Vallejo metal color was all sold out because of supply issues, and they thought they spotted some at their local game store and grabbed them for me and they all turned out to be Vallejo air metallics. I was wondering how good they were compared to metal color. Problem is I don't have an airbrush.

That being said I have a big bottle of proper Metal color aluminum and this should push me to experiment with mixing my own gold/copper/whatever.

Metal Colour is better but Air Metallics are pretty good anyway, come in more coours and are cheaper. They are pre thinned too (due to being for air brushing) so you can just use them straight from the palette with a brush no problem.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Attestant posted:

The second linked option is probably what you want. You don't strictly need a tank on your compressor, but for a few bucks more it's worth getting one with a tank.

The brush in the kits is probably a cheap knock off of a big name brush but will be good for basic tasks and cheap enough that if you mess it up you're not out anything.
The compressors are the big cost of these kits, and compressors are pretty much a standardized commodity at this point, they're all made in the same chinese factories and then re-branded for whoever is selling them. They're not industrial quality, but for an average hobbiest they'll last a decade of normal use.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Eej posted:

Metal Colour is better but Air Metallics are pretty good anyway, come in more coours and are cheaper. They are pre thinned too (due to being for air brushing) so you can just use them straight from the palette with a brush no problem.

Cool! I'll give them a shot. I saw people talking about combining gold + copper for a rich gold and am interested to see how it looks.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
I really like the metallic air copper in general. There is honestly not a lot of good deep coppers out there imo. It has a very ‘old copper pot’ look on its own. With the new ‘cryptek armourshade gloss’ wash/shade over it, it gives a really deep red vibrant copper very easily. It’s no building up subtle layers of over 7 passes and so on, but it just looks great. It can kinda pass for an ancient looking reddish gold too.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Sergeant done to finish the squad. He's the one on the right. The camo takes a little while to do but it's so fun

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Attestant posted:

I assume the OP post on airbrushes is mostly up to date? Doesn't seem like a field that has gone through massive upheavals during the past few years, unless some new recommended stuff has popped up recently? Mostly thinking about getting in to airbrushing mostly for the sake of winter priming, so I'm looking at the entry level options.

In addition to what others said, I’d also add that the cheap generic compressor *with a tank* is not as bad as the OP makes it out to be. Lots of people in this thread have one and they are going strong after years. Without a tank is a whole other story though.

This is the one:
https://www.amazon.com/ZENY-Airbrush-Compressor-Airbrushing-Multipurpose/dp/B01M33C8MV

There used to be options that were amazon fulfilled which gives you a much better return policy.

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Dec 15, 2020

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Metal Color has a very limited selection of non-silver tones but imo if they've got the color you want there's basically no reason to ever use anything else. Even alcohol-based metallics aren't worth the extra pain in the rear end imo.

The only color that's a little weird is gold, which is a much lighter, noticeably green-tinted shade. It can be really cool in some situations but it's not a very good "gold" unless you tint it with some inks or glazes (or, incidentally, mix it with copper).

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Thoogsby posted:

My friend made me the coolest nurglings of all time with my spare plaugebearer poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha4NQF1vHik

That's really good

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Thanks! Guess I'll check the Fengda for a start, and see how I feel about expanding from there.

Felime
Jul 10, 2009

Revelation 2-13 posted:

I really like the metallic air copper in general. There is honestly not a lot of good deep coppers out there imo. It has a very ‘old copper pot’ look on its own. With the new ‘cryptek armourshade gloss’ wash/shade over it, it gives a really deep red vibrant copper very easily. It’s no building up subtle layers of over 7 passes and so on, but it just looks great. It can kinda pass for an ancient looking reddish gold too.

VGC hammered copper is loving delightful and one of my favorites. A purple wash and sparing highlights of retributor armor is one of my favorite applications of it.

And reiterating that Vallejo model air metals work super well with a brush. You just don't thin them as much. The coverage is amazing.

(This does not apply to Vallejo game air. They're not very good with a brush.)

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Decided to paint the Space Marines in the Indomitus box as White Scars.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Awesomely clean. If it shows up that tight on camera, it must be razor sharp in real life.

I wish I could do white that well.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

That is a smooth-rear end white, nice job

KozmoNaut posted:

I wish I could do white that well.
:same:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I third that notion.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

The method I used is priming with Corax White, then a coat of Apothacary White, then a panel line of 1:2 The Fang:Contrast Medium, then a highlight of white ink (Corax White would probably be fine as well). Spots that were splotchy or panel lines that were too wide were fixed with a glaze of 1:2 Corax White:Contrast Medium.

Overall it was fun and satisfying, but I can't imagine doing a whole army of these guys. Maybe special characters, but not whole infantry squads. I also wonder if I'd be better off starting with Greyseer as an undercoat and going straight to panel lining, but I'm definitely getting either Gryph-Charger grey or Space Wolves Grey for the panel lining.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Was allowed to open a gift early and I have the best mother in-law!

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've recently got the itch so I've got myself some skaven and some paint and I'm gonna do it. I haven't painted since I was a kid and the OP was really useful so thanks, thread, and I will try to check back in when I have a rat to show.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Felime posted:

(This does not apply to Vallejo game air. They're not very good with a brush.)

In my limited experience this seems to apply to a lot of the game color line in general. Some of the coverage of the regular greens and blues make them a lot harder to work with compared to model color.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Verisimilidude posted:

My best hobby presents tend to come from my MIL also. She's always baffled yet impressed by my mandollies, and seems to like supporting my hobby.

Also that White Scar loving owns bones, drat.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Verisimilidude posted:

yeah I like Cashews too

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

yeah I like Cashews too

Unsalted though... dunno if I can support that.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

HopperUK posted:

I've recently got the itch so I've got myself some skaven and some paint and I'm gonna do it. I haven't painted since I was a kid and the OP was really useful so thanks, thread, and I will try to check back in when I have a rat to show.

Skaven are a good starting choice! You can practice a lot of drybrushing and washes since they have so much texture.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

Unsalted though... dunno if I can support that.

they're better because you can just add your own salt, as much or as little as you like. you can't easily remove salt from too salty cashews

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Airbrush Amigos: What do you guys do about ventilation in the winter time?

I have a ghetto "window open 24/7 with a fan blowing outwards and a cardboard box for a booth" setup on my desk which was great in the summer time, but I had to close the windows mid-October and I've just had zero desire to paint since then. I do wear a mask, is it OK to airbrush with the fan of if I just put like a sheet of paper between the fan and the window so that I'm not spraying onto the glass?

Like is that functionally roughly equivalent to one of these fancy $150+ Airbrush Booths I see on Amazon? Those are fine to just blast away with without any "external" ventilation, yea?

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Those airbrush booths usually vent into a hose that’s meant to point outside. A well-fitting and functional mask is theoretically all you need for dealing with acrylic particles, but you still want a way to either ventilate the room or capture those particles since they can stay suspended in air and at some point you need to take the mask off (and if you live with other people you want to consider that they’re sharing air with you).

If you want to keep the window closed then you probably want to look at filters you can use in combination with the fan. My home setup is a plastic booth with a couple computer fans screwed in the back that push air through a mounted HEPA filter from a vacuum cleaner, with a loose cell foam pre-filter in front of the fans. I still wear a mask and open the window when I’m done though.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Sab669 posted:

Airbrush Amigos: What do you guys do about ventilation in the winter time?

I have a ghetto "window open 24/7 with a fan blowing outwards and a cardboard box for a booth" setup on my desk which was great in the summer time, but I had to close the windows mid-October and I've just had zero desire to paint since then. I do wear a mask, is it OK to airbrush with the fan of if I just put like a sheet of paper between the fan and the window so that I'm not spraying onto the glass?

Like is that functionally roughly equivalent to one of these fancy $150+ Airbrush Booths I see on Amazon? Those are fine to just blast away with without any "external" ventilation, yea?

I got one of the aforementioned booths. The filter actually stops most of the particle from spraying out onto the wall behind it (was tested extensively to make sure, so my wife didn't kill me). However, I wear a respirator because there's a lot of particle that is loose for a minute or so after spraying, in the booth (would happen, even if I hooked up the tube to vent out a window). My point is, you'd be fine for over spraying, just mask up to protect them lungs.

Nothing around my painting area has ever had over spray appear on it and I have some pretty expensive poo poo sitting near-by.

EDIT: My wife mentions it does smell like paint, if she comes near the area within a few minutes of me finishing - but I have an office in my basement, that I have an air purifier running in once in a while, so I turn that on when I spray to catch anything that might float off.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I guess it would make more sense they still need ventilation :v:

I just have a small/medium sized apartment, and use the "dining room" for my painting room. The ceiling fan in there stays on 24/7 because that room has the best heating and the ceiling fan helps circulate the heat to the rest of the apartment... so if I don't have some sort of ventilation I guess in theory I might be blowing fumes around the whole apartment? I dunno, maybe it all gets picked up by the fan/filter and doesn't propagate too much.

Maybe after Christmas I'll grab this booth which would allow me to crack the window only slightly in order to vent it outside. Hmm.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

The one I use keeps enough negative air pressure differential in the booth that I get no paint smell when it runs, and the filter catches everything. And it was some cheap no name brand thing off of Amazon.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I assume spray booths work on rattle cans as well?

There are a lot of ways to "get away" with using rattle cans during the winter without a spray booth, but I don't want to play those games anymore.

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Serenade posted:

There are a lot of ways to "get away" with using rattle cans during the winter without a spray booth, but I don't want to play those games anymore.

I honestly wouldn't.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Does a booth have to be close to a window or something? I may pick one up since my painting studio is also my office and I don’t want paint particles everywhere

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Serenade posted:

Rattle cans put out a ton of paint at once vs an airbrush so that would be my main concern. Thinking a lil spray booth for airbrushing vs those whole room hoods they use for priming car parts

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Most rattle cans use propellant that creates harmful organic fumes and requires more ventilation/filtration than airbrushing with standard acrylics. I’ve sprayed indoors in the past and it’s absolutely not something that should be done

Ego Trip
Aug 28, 2012

A tenacious little mouse!

Spray rated fans are about 300 usd on
amazon. Couldn't you build something like https://youtu.be/X-FFDnAM3oo for rattle cans?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Id sooner just save the money and invest in an airbrush and some thinner

I've easily payed off the cost of all the spray paint I haven't had to use since switching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Verisimilidude posted:

Does a booth have to be close to a window or something? I may pick one up since my painting studio is also my office and I don’t want paint particles everywhere

Some spray booths have a or multiple particle filters in them, so in theory you spray into the suck zone, that air goes through the filters and comes out the backside with much less paint particles. Can't tell you the in practise.