Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Comrade Fakename posted:

I think the fact that they had that absolutely, genuinely, last chance for a deal and we’re really pessimistic summit and then came out and said “actually we’re going to keep chatting” heavily suggests they’ll go for a deal in the end.

Like that financial times article that got linked said any deal boris takes is going to be a huge capitulation from all the stuff they've been promising for brexit from the start. Now this only actually matters to the insane people in the tory party who are true believers/disaster capitalists who truly don't care what happens to us plebs but by dragging it out like this it can be sold like actually its not a capitulation. Most of the public who voted for boris believed he wanted a deal and won't actually care about the particulars of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bone Crimes posted:

I mean, I fully get that the US political situation is full-on batshit insane, but there would be protests, and armed idiots out front of MPs houses, and all kinds of whackadoodle antics about this that would increase the pressure. I guess this just happened too slowly with too much procedural bs for this to happen? Or are Brits this passive about their country completely making GBS threads itself?

There were a lot of protests to attempt to stop brexit, quite famously there was a man screaming stop brexit outside parliament for several years.

And they achieved nothing.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
a lot of Brits think No Deal is going to be an actually good outcome because that's what the press has been saying constantly for about three years now

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/LuisaPorritt/status/1338531327755382786?s=20

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It was quite common I think to pronounce the 'c' as 'ch' or 's' depending on the word. Ecclesiastical I think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3Hx0NIa3Yw

That's interesting, in Czech schools it's still common to use the local common pronunciation, i.e. "printseps" in this case. Though obviously we did learn the one with the hard k.

Does Caesar also get pronounced in the reconstructed way, with hard 'k' and 'ai'? I always found that one to sound odd. It's "tsehsarh" in Czech common pronunciation if anyone is curious.

e: and no I don't know IPA properly enough

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 16, 2020

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

a lot of Brits think No Deal is going to be an actually good outcome because that's what the press has been saying constantly for about three years now

i think this is genuinely a smaller number than most people believe they just happen to be the most vocal

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bone Crimes posted:

I mean, I fully get that the US political situation is full-on batshit insane, but there would be protests, and armed idiots out front of MPs houses, and all kinds of whackadoodle antics about this that would increase the pressure. I guess this just happened too slowly with too much procedural bs for this to happen? Or are Brits this passive about their country completely making GBS threads itself?
If you're focusing on the armed idiots then it was previous generations of tories that stopped them from existing.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
There was a television programme on last night about Poundland. Like just following around people who are working in Poundland and people who are shopping in Poundland. I kept watching for a bit to see if it was a piss take or something, but it really was just following around people working in Poundland and people shopping in Poundland :/

Channel 4, it was on. Would be standard for Channel 5

crispix fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Dec 16, 2020

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

crispix posted:

There was a television programme on last night about Poundland. Like just following around people who are working in Poundland and people who are shopping in Poundland. I kept watching for a bit to see if it was a piss take or something, but it really was just following around people working in Poundland and people shopping in Poundland :/

That reminds me... I feel a bit like this:

https://youtu.be/EdeCPGNRjOU

Who is Pissflaps?

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Guavanaut posted:

If you're focusing on the armed idiots then it was previous generations of tories that stopped them from existing.

Well, whatever the current equivalent is now. Knife crazies? I mean it sounds like everybody is just exhausted and waiting for the bad stuff to come to start really protesting, but like if I had a kid who needed insulin, I'd be ready for retribution if things get bad.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

A very bad poster that we had a kangaroo court in DnD to boot off the site and now he spends most of his time being transphobic and racist on twitter.

Also he lives near me.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

It so happens that Brian has a new podcast out, thread fave Rod Delaney (comedian) is his first guest.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bone Crimes posted:

Well, whatever the current equivalent is now. Knife crazies? I mean it sounds like everybody is just exhausted and waiting for the bad stuff to come to start really protesting, but like if I had a kid who needed insulin, I'd be ready for retribution if things get bad.

Generally that is how protest works, you protest after bad things happen because that makes it real. It might be better to protest about things that are going to happen from a logistical point of view but if societies had the ability to collectively take action to prevent things from happening in the future we would be living in a very different world.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bone Crimes posted:

good luck getting within knifing distance of a Tory MP without getting extremely shot by the police

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

blunt posted:

We're literally living through Peak TV™ at the moment - if you can't find something to be invested in it's because you don't want to watch TV, which is a perfectly fine position to take but it's slightly weird to pretend it's all bad.

My own hot take is that "peak TV" ended decade ago more or less. Basically the point people started arguing Breaking Bad was on a par with Sopranos and The Wire was about when I realised the standards had dropped. TBH rather watch a generic procedural cop propaganda show like NCIS or CSI than most of what passes for prestige TV these days, at least it isn't a huge time investment just dipping into whatever poo poo is being repeated on 5USA or some other weirdly named channel.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I think people are just fed up to the back teeth of brexit and just want it over and done with one way or the other and as someone else said, deal with whatever happens as a result if and when it happens.

I'm sure a lot of the people who voted tory a year ago because they believed Boris would have it all sorted within a couple of months probably can't get over that he hasn't even though he made all the prospective tory MPs swear fealty to Brexit before they were allowed to stand in the election so there should be no opposition getting in the way. And it STILL hasn't really happened. (in reality though in fact we left last January). A lot of the 'Project Fear' talk has died down, though the same people are now 'project fearing' about Covid-19.

Then of course there are still a bunch of people who believe Boris is doing a great job, doing the best he can given the covid-19 yadda yadda. The test of the genuiness of this view though is 'if it had been Jeremy Corbyn doing identically the same job of it as Johnson, would you be giving Corbyn all the leeway and excuses you are for the incumbent here' - the answer is inevitably no because they would have been screaming for a military coup after 500 deaths let alone 70000 or however many it is really.

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Generally that is how protest works, you protest after bad things happen because that makes it real. It might be better to protest about things that are going to happen from a logistical point of view but if societies had the ability to collectively take action to prevent things from happening in the future we would be living in a very different world.

Fair enough. It's just that it seems such an obvious chasm now, but can stop marching to victory I guess.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

crispix posted:

Are you sure you didn't just go to Poundland?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
:stare:

what the gently caress was Babestation, then?

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I think people are just fed up to the back teeth of brexit and just want it over and done with one way or the other and as someone else said, deal with whatever happens as a result if and when it happens.

I'm sure a lot of the people who voted tory a year ago because they believed Boris would have it all sorted within a couple of months probably can't get over that he hasn't even though he made all the prospective tory MPs swear fealty to Brexit before they were allowed to stand in the election so there should be no opposition getting in the way. And it STILL hasn't really happened. (in reality though in fact we left last January). A lot of the 'Project Fear' talk has died down, though the same people are now 'project fearing' about Covid-19.

Then of course there are still a bunch of people who believe Boris is doing a great job, doing the best he can given the covid-19 yadda yadda. The test of the genuiness of this view though is 'if it had been Jeremy Corbyn doing identically the same job of it as Johnson, would you be giving Corbyn all the leeway and excuses you are for the incumbent here' - the answer is inevitably no because they would have been screaming for a military coup after 500 deaths let alone 70000 or however many it is really.

That latter group I understand (clear US parallels), but its the middle group (It will be sorted by Boris in 2020) group that I just don't get. Ah well. I guess I'll join in the popcorn crew watching the destruction?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
Nah it's a real thing. They're doing KFC next week. It will be an hour of watching people working in KFC and people eating in KFC, I should expect

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bone Crimes posted:

That latter group I understand (clear US parallels), but its the middle group (It will be sorted by Boris in 2020) group that I just don't get. Ah well. I guess I'll join in the popcorn crew watching the destruction?

Well both Labour and LibDems were blathering on about a second referendum or cancelling brexit altogether.
A second referendum would have meant another 6 months of wrangling (which that middle group thought wouldn't happen under the tories) and cancelling brexit would have been unacceptable - both to those who voted brexit in the first place and to those who, while voting remain, believed that the majority had voted brexit and we should uphold it.
Brexit has torn families and friends apart, in some cases causing irreparable damage to those relationships.
Labour should have stuck to the 2017 approach of upholding the result of the referendum and negotiating the best possible deal for people instead of the tories upholding the result of the referendum and negotiating the best possible deal for their own personal wealth and stuff the people while also being hopelessly incompetent.
Eg Dominic Raab who didn't realize Dover was so important, Chris Grayling forking out £m to a ferry company with no ferries and so on.

For Dominic Raab's comment on Dover, see the video embedded in this link starts about 35 seconds in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-46142188

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Mom, dad, Bart’s dead!

That’s right, dead serious about going to Itchy and Scratchy Land!

In the TV recommendation arena, I’ve mentioned it previously but I really can’t praise Babylon Berlin enough. It’s Germany’s most expensive TV show ever made, and it’s set in Weimar Berlin in 1929. Genuinely great, though a little terrifying to draw parallels between then and now. It’s really amazing.

You can watch it on Sky/Now TV, though I’m sure it can be acquired elsewhere.

E: Oh, and it’s a lot less “quality” but the second season of Pennyworth has just started and it’s about a civil war in the UK between blackshirt fascists and everyone else in a bonkers alterna-1950s/60s. In very subtle symbolism in this last episode they just executed the actual George Orwell.

Comrade Fakename fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 16, 2020

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Jose posted:

reminder lib dems and CHUK are the reason we don't have mays deal + Customs union

Considering how awful a person she is I think history is going to be insanely kind to Theresa May. The remaniac crowd blocking her lovely deal really reminds me of Obama when he Epically Owned Trump at the correspondants dinner or whatever it was, just these useless libs unironically sneering and creating the conditions for, in fact really putting in the work and ensuring, something significantly worse emerging.

It is still the funniest thing that Clegg et al are directly why brexit won the referendum and is also why we're gonna be brexiting without a parachute too.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I still maintaim that Boris is going to 'claim' he negotiated a last minute WTO deal, none of the papers will bother to correct him that a WTO deal is a no deal, and he will even manage a photo op stepping off a plane holding a handful of papers (which he will 'accidentally' drop, sending them blowing everywhere).

LATEST MOGGCAST JUST DROPPED https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCacQeSIwmI it looks like a very slim, not fit for purpose deal is going to emerge and all the missing sinew will be pasted over with 'we'll do what the EU wants, for now' with absolutely no plan for the massive repercussions when the real world collides with Pure Brexit Spirit.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

And again, if you do change your mind, you stop taking the pills and it happens as it would have before.

I wish there was a snappier way of saying 'puberty delayers' because that's what they are.

I'm genuinely asking, what sources are you getting that 'happens as it would have before' take from? Because I've seen tons of idiotic seeming lefties saying 'no long term effects' but then sort of obliquely-reference-and-immediately-dismiss loss of height and bone density for boys and reduced breast and hip fat deposits for girls as though those aren't massive loving things? I'm happy to be proven wrong because 'puberty delayers' is actually extremely snappy and if what you're saying is true it completely solves what previously felt like a legit quite tricky debate.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thanks to whoever posted that list a while back of incidents in Harry Potter which took place in toilets and the other info.

You are welcome antifa need to do a struggle session frankly turns out the real praxis is posting about Harry Potter.

justcola posted:

Think of the bubble like Dumbledore dying. Once he's dead you can't bring him back to life, like once you leave the bubble you can't add another.

Do they bring him back to life in the books though? I dont know.

My family seem to be playing bubble bobble themselves this year, with multiple clusters of bubbled houses meeting other bubbled houses and the whole thing sounding loving mad after everyones been isolating all year. They keep oining me to join in this plague swapping fun, but even if there wasn't a virus I wouldn't want to be driven around to siblings partners houses and eat their bland food and listen to racism, so its an easy-ish choice. I'm more worried about my relatives who have lung diseases being swept up in this bullshit.

He doesn't come back to life the way Gandalf literally just comes back to life, he comes back as like a spirit guide to Harry after Harry dies. They have a nice talk together, as a metaphysical story it's sort of wild because a bit of Voldemorts soul exists inside Harrys, its manifested into the dreamscape even, but they just ignore that there's this vulnerable, clearly in pain but also explicitly irredeemable baby figure lying completely alone and abandoned next to them and then dead Dumbledore helps dead Harry to not be dead anymore so the last chapter can happen. The Worst Chapo, it's Felix, made a very good point that when white people don't know how to end a story they just do a Jesus thing so both Dumbledore and Harry died but they also didn't die.

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Dec 16, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was under the impression that deferring puberty did carry some changes due to more of your physical growth occuring in a pre-pubescent state, but that they were still used because the risks are better than the alternative.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Does anyone have a Costco card, is it worth it? I'm thinking about doing a run in the next few days to stock up on non-perishables. Any recommendations beyond noodles and loo roll? I guess maybe flour.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

OwlFancier posted:

I was under the impression that deferring puberty did carry some changes due to more of your physical growth occuring in a pre-pubescent state, but that they were still used because the risks are better than the alternative.

Yeah that was my impression too, that the issue was 'if we use puberty blockers and this kid ever changes their mind it does actually have long term consequences for them, let's be hesitant' vs 'if we don't use puberty blockers then this kid will suffer long term consequences because we didn't act in time, let's not be hesitant'.

My perception was there was significant potential harm either way but if technology exists to do a near-enough-perfect reversible block on puberty as Bobby Deluxe says then that changes everything. Real talk I think Bobby Deluxe is probably fibbing but if they aren't gently caress I wanna know about it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BizarroAzrael posted:

Does anyone have a Costco card, is it worth it? I'm thinking about doing a run in the next few days to stock up on non-perishables. Any recommendations beyond noodles and loo roll? I guess maybe flour.

A Costco card is worth it, but there are conditions for getting one. Once you have one, though, the world is your mollusc of choice (as long as you want a 5 litre tub of ghee).

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

BizarroAzrael posted:

It so happens that Brian has a new podcast out, thread fave Rod Delaney (comedian) is his first guest.
Oh poo poo! Thanks for the heads up.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't... think the long term effects are particularly harmful compared to the difficulties people encounter if they do undergo it and need to reverse it? More just that there are some effects as you would expect from making hormonal changes during a child's growth, but it is still up to the kids to make that choice with the best counsel available, nobody else can know their own minds better than they can. Like I don't think anyone's gonna just go on them and then forget about it for years on end they're gonna be actively trying to figure out what is best for them in that time.

As far as I am aware there have also been historical variations in the age at which many children undergo puberty, hypothesised to coincide with things like the industrial revolution. And things like nutrition levels in childhood can affect it too. In recent decades the trend has been towards children undergoing puberty earlier, so seemingly humans can function quite well with some variation in the age of onset.

On the plus side increasing child poverty rates may start to push the age back again so clearly the government is just interested in pursuing a more holistic approach, no puberty blockers for specific people, puberty delays for all instead!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

BizarroAzrael posted:

Well I just trundled 30 * 3/4l bottles of still water back from Home Bargain this evening in a small suitcase as too heavy to carry - will be much easier to store than big 2l bottles. Use by date is a couple of years. Does that count as non-perishable? (I've also got a view to the threat of heavy rains and flooding which may happen in Jan/Feb - last Feb the local water purification works got flooded and the Dwr Cymru furnished all households with 6 x 2l bottles of water until it was fixed.)

Rice, pasta, beans, lentils, nuts, coffee, tea, canned veg, canned fruit, some long-life ready meals, maybe some catering packs of jams, peanut butter, sweets, canned rice puds and custards if you can trust yourself not to go out in a glorious cold canned custard binge one day. Canned fish or meat.

Pet food if you have pets.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Jedit posted:

A Costco card is worth it, but there are conditions for getting one. Once you have one, though, the world is your mollusc of choice (as long as you want a 5 litre tub of ghee).

Spot the Pratchett reader.....

OwlFancier posted:

I don't... think the long term effects are particularly harmful compared to the difficulties people encounter if they do undergo it and need to reverse it? More just that there are some effects as you would expect from making hormonal changes during a child's growth, but it is still up to the kids to make that choice with the best counsel available, nobody else can know their own minds better than they can. Like I don't think anyone's gonna just go on them and then forget about it for years on end they're gonna be actively trying to figure out what is best for them in that time.

As far as I am aware there have also been historical variations in the age at which many children undergo puberty, hypothesised to coincide with things like the industrial revolution. And things like nutrition levels in childhood can affect it too. In recent decades the trend has been towards children undergoing puberty earlier, so seemingly humans can function quite well with some variation in the age of onset.

On the plus side increasing child poverty rates may start to push the age back again so clearly the government is just interested in pursuing a more holistic approach, no puberty blockers for specific people, puberty delays for all instead!

Yes, when I was a teen, girls normally started periods aged 11-13. Very rare for a girl at primary school to start them, but now you get 8 year old girls starting their periods (and girls at primary school having periods isn't that rare anymore.)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think part of that is worse childhood nutrition and health during much of the 20th century, a lot of things delay puberty, your body basically doesn't seem to like doing it if you're in poor health.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I think part of that is worse childhood nutrition and health during much of the 20th century, a lot of things delay puberty, your body basically doesn't seem to like doing it if you're in poor health.

Well I just came across this interesting article:

https://theconversation.com/children-arent-starting-puberty-younger-medieval-skeletons-reveal-91095

quote:

Children are entering puberty younger than before, according to recent studies, raising concerns that childhood obesity and hormone-contaminated water supplies may be to blame. However, our archaeological research suggests that there’s nothing to worry about. Children in medieval England entered puberty between ten and 12 years of age – the same as today.

Puberty is divided into five clinical stages, with pre-puberty at stage one and onset (or thelarche) at stage two. Menarche (a girls first period) occurs at stage three. The age at which a child enters puberty (stage one) varies. Today, puberty onset occurs between the ages of ten and 14 in girls and 12 to 16 in boys, with some ethnic groups starting around a year earlier. The end of puberty, or full maturation, is reached by 13-17 years for girls, and 15-18 years for boys.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yes you did the same google as me I expect :v:

I had previously heard the idea that it was all the hormones in the water (turning the fricken frogs gay) but it being yet another thing to blame enclosure for is fitting for the thread :v:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yes, when I was a teen, girls normally started periods aged 11-13. Very rare for a girl at primary school to start them, but now you get 8 year old girls starting their periods (and girls at primary school having periods isn't that rare anymore.)

Here's the thing precocious puberty (starting that early) is a real medical condition and has been treated for years perfectly safely with no long lasting effects. Using the same puberty blockers which now have too many irreversibly long term effects to use for Trans kids.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
An article on some of the weird, suspect poo poo going on under the hood of the Canary.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Bone Crimes posted:

It's been the last day to avert a disastrous no-deal Brexit every day for the past few years now and everyone's just grown numb to it.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Well I just trundled 30 * 3/4l bottles of still water back from Home Bargain this evening in a small suitcase as too heavy to carry - will be much easier to store than big 2l bottles. Use by date is a couple of years. Does that count as non-perishable? (I've also got a view to the threat of heavy rains and flooding which may happen in Jan/Feb - last Feb the local water purification works got flooded and the Dwr Cymru furnished all households with 6 x 2l bottles of water until it was fixed.)

Rice, pasta, beans, lentils, nuts, coffee, tea, canned veg, canned fruit, some long-life ready meals, maybe some catering packs of jams, peanut butter, sweets, canned rice puds and custards if you can trust yourself not to go out in a glorious cold canned custard binge one day. Canned fish or meat.

Pet food if you have pets.

Extremely useful, thank you. Nice and clear.

Re costco, I'm eligible for a card through work but the nearest one is 30mins away. I tried to work it out a few years ago and pence per l or kg, it didn't beat out aldi - and aldi is five minutes away.

It's good if you need stuff in big bulk, (and new tvs) but not if like me you need lots of small size items for one person.

I went through my stock this week, packs of pasta out the arse but not enough of everything else. Tin shop ahoy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
I'd also suggest stocking up on basic toiletries. You hear plenty of people worrying about having no pasta; rather fewer worrying about having no deoderant.

I mean, it sounds petty compared to other stuff but you'll miss it if you run out.