Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

anakha posted:

Just finished Act 2 of DQ11. The final dungeon was pretty cool but the final boss was a bit of a letdown. Not in difficulty, but in how goofy as gently caress it looked. I much preferred the first incarnation of that boss.

83 hours in, and a whole post-game left to go. Looking forward to binging this over the holidays.

I'm jealous. DQXI is easily one of my favorite, if not my favorite overall, game of the past few years, and the only game I ever Platinum'd. I wish I could play it again for the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

Why on earth did they make Erik’s VA try to sound American when he obviously can’t do it consistently, it sounds so ridiculous, hahaha

Still enjoying the game, but it will probably take me a year to finish it (i am an Old who only games in stolen 30 min. chunks)

Erik's accent is actually supposed to be Scandinavian, from what I've read.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
Yeah his voice actor is actually a Scandinavian dude who was born in the UK. I figure it’s considerably harder to place his accent because he’s in Dragon Quest and yet he doesn’t sound like the Swedish Chef.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
It's Leliana from Dragon Age all over again

Also I had to stop myself from typing "Quest" there like three times

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

anakha posted:

Just finished Act 2 of DQ11. The final dungeon was pretty cool but the final boss was a bit of a letdown. Not in difficulty, but in how goofy as gently caress it looked. I much preferred the first incarnation of that boss.

83 hours in, and a whole post-game left to go. Looking forward to binging this over the holidays.

It's not post game it's act 3

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Ran Rannerson posted:

Yeah his voice actor is actually a Scandinavian dude who was born in the UK. I figure it’s considerably harder to place his accent because he’s in Dragon Quest and yet he doesn’t sound like the Swedish Chef.

Well, he doesn’t really do a good “Scandinavian” accent either... maybe they should’ve gone full muppet, haha

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
There was no point in time I thought Erik was supposed to be "American" (whatever the gently caress that means in terms of accent).

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I love Erik and his completely unplaceable accent.

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

Skwirl posted:

There was no point in time I thought Erik was supposed to be "American" (whatever the gently caress that means in terms of accent).

Because he can’t do it right. ;) Granted, I’m only a couple hours in, but it seems like he’s going for General American (i.e., what brits think all Americans who aren’t from the south or New York sound like and what Americans like me consider to be no accent at all), but he gets lost at the vowels and lands somewhere around moon person.

I am very hung up on accents, much to my S.O.’s chagrin as I point out every secret Canadian or British or Australian actor in American shows.

Sorry for accent derail; I still love the game, but I think I might like it even more if the voices were in my head.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Len posted:

It's not post game it's act 3
If the game shows me the end credits, anything afterwards is post-game. :colbert:

Srice posted:

I love Erik and his completely unplaceable accent.
:same:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Commander Keene posted:

If the game shows me the end credits, anything afterwards is post-game. :colbert:

:same:

So what about when you see the credits again after you finish act 3? Because the only post game is the final bonus boss gauntlet in tockington

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Sometimes he's Joey wheeler from Yugioh

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
So many posts, I was hoping it was something good like news on the next DQM game. :sigh:

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

Because he can’t do it right. ;) Granted, I’m only a couple hours in, but it seems like he’s going for General American (i.e., what brits think all Americans who aren’t from the south or New York sound like and what Americans like me consider to be no accent at all), but he gets lost at the vowels and lands somewhere around moon person.

I am very hung up on accents, much to my S.O.’s chagrin as I point out every secret Canadian or British or Australian actor in American shows.

Sorry for accent derail; I still love the game, but I think I might like it even more if the voices were in my head.

I’m really, really sure he was not attempting an Anerican accent.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i interpreted erik's accent inconsistencies as a story thing given what you learn about his history but i also can't quite remember his specific voice

Len posted:

So what about when you see the credits again after you finish act 3? Because the only post game is the final bonus boss gauntlet in tockington

the game deciding to play the credits again at the end of the postgame story? I'm not sure why the credits playing multiple times means anything

Looper fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Dec 16, 2020

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Len posted:

And the Timewyrm

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Looper posted:

i interpreted erik's accent inconsistencies as a story thing given what you learn about his history but i also can't quite remember his specific voice

the game deciding to play the credits again at the end of the postgame story? I'm not sure why the credits playing multiple times means anything

Because it's not post game? Alan Wake has like 5 post games by this logic since it plays credits at the end of each "episode"

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
The game is what you play until you see the credits. Anything after is the postgame. Then you hit the post-postgame. Alan Wake runs into the post-post-post-post-postgame, it's really quite simple :pseudo:

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Metal Gear Solid V Undisputed Champ of Postgames

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Wow I hate Nier:Automata now

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

garthoneeye posted:

I’m really, really sure he was not attempting an Anerican accent.

i don't know how many english or european friends you have who do a 'really great american accent' and then it's always Erik levels of weird, but i have many such friends because i moved out of the US a long time ago and they always want my yankee approval.

You're right I can't say with 100% certainty what accent he is failing at, but i'm switching to the Japanese VAs because it's driving me insane. I haven't posted on these forums this much in the last 13 years, but this is ABsOLUTE INSANITY. I'm WORKED up about ACCENTS in BIDEO JAMES and i can't think of anything in recent history that's been this disconcerting!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Edmund Lava posted:

Wow I hate Nier:Automata now

I think Neir: Automata might have more post game that Return of the King had endings which is impressive

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

i don't know how many english or european friends you have who do a 'really great american accent' and then it's always Erik levels of weird, but i have many such friends because i moved out of the US a long time ago and they always want my yankee approval.

You're right I can't say with 100% certainty what accent he is failing at, but i'm switching to the Japanese VAs because it's driving me insane. I haven't posted on these forums this much in the last 13 years, but this is ABsOLUTE INSANITY. I'm WORKED up about ACCENTS in BIDEO JAMES and i can't think of anything in recent history that's been this disconcerting!

It always came across as some sort of Chicago mobster accent to me. I love the voices, fun stuff.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Jupiter Jazz posted:

V is far more constrained and less expository. I have already brought up V in my initial post. Although the current topic is linearity, it wasn't the original topic du jour, which was storytelling methods. But since you *checks notes* tend to operate on bad faith, I doubt you won't address the initial post and will *checks notes* continue pick which battles you'd prefer.

Calling out your utter lack of knowledge is not "bad faith" it's just pointing out you're wrong.

Like, every single thing you claim to dislike DQXI for has always existed in the series. DQVII literally had a level select hub, DQV starts you on rails, DQIV has start the game with multiple chapters chapter with a very explicit direction your character wants to go in. DQVIII has Trode, who is literally the hero's boss and telling him where to go.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Evil Fluffy posted:

So many posts, I was hoping it was something good like news on the next DQM game. :sigh:

Joker 3 localization never ever Q.Q

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
On my way to Gotha in V...feel like I'm about to wrap up an arc soon

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

serefin99 posted:

Joker 3 localization never ever Q.Q

He can patch is good enough. Buggy, but good enough.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Dr Pepper posted:

Calling out your utter lack of knowledge is not "bad faith" it's just pointing out you're wrong.

Like, every single thing you claim to dislike DQXI for has always existed in the series. DQVII literally had a level select hub, DQV starts you on rails, DQIV has start the game with multiple chapters chapter with a very explicit direction your character wants to go in. DQVIII has Trode, who is literally the hero's boss and telling him where to go.

Utter lack of knowledge. Haha, gently caress off. You have not even tried to understand my point. My utter lack of knowledge? I have played every DQ besides X. Rather than be a prick, try to understand what people are trying to communicate. My entire argument isn't even about linearity. You have turned the argument into exclusively about linearity. Because that is what you do. You cannot rebut, so you have decided to frame it in your metric. Re-read, gently caress off, and take some more notes.

Trode rarely tells you where to go. He's not up your rear end like Erik is.

How about this? Play the first hour of DQVIII, then then first hour of XI. Note how, when, and in what you're always directed in XI. VIII has Trode but he only pops up in cutscenes, which are pretty restrained. XI is up its rear end with "you're going the wrong way" "you're doing this wrong" "here's another loving message about the real way you're supposed to go" "don't go on this path". Being told where to go isn't the problem. poo poo, they tell you where to go in DQ1. They'll say something like "____ is to the west". DQVIII is far more hands off in its adventuring compared to XI. Linearity isn't even the issue as we are talking about jrpgs, not Fallout games. The problem is the explicit manner that DQXI tells its story compared to its predecessors.

Again, compare it with the first hour of VIII. Also note the amount of cutscenes VIII has. They're short. Sweet. Brisk. XI is constant with the in your face hand holding dog poo poo.

Compare then reach out to me.

You brought up one example, V's linearity, and that's it to prove an overall point when the original point was on storytelling changes made to DQ, which many posters in this thread agree has happened, but don't seem to mind much. But then here you are, coming in here mid-discussion with some gotcha point to try to prove a point, now claiming my "utter lack of knowledge" regarding a game I have played multiple times without trying to understand my point. Why? Because you're a prick. And yes, it was a bad faith argument because you're not actively engaging in an argument. Like the other pricks, Mr. "What" and "LMAO" you're showing your rear end rather than engaging in a discussion just to be a dick. Like usual. As said before, I. Do.Not. Like. You.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Dec 17, 2020

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Gemma's voice actor of "what me, an american, thinks a small town british hick sounds like" is a superb fit.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Deified Data posted:

On my way to Gotha in V...feel like I'm about to wrap up an arc soon

:getin: and buckle up.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Can we stop being angry about video games in a thread about enjoying video games?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Kuros posted:

Can we stop being angry about video games in a thread about enjoying video games?

Fine.

Planning to replay DQ1-3 for the billionths time after I beat Fire Emblem 1. I'll be playing on Switch. How are those versions compared to the mobile phone versions? SNES versions are still the top.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 17, 2020

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Fine.

Planning to replay DQ1-3 for the billionths time after I beat Fire Emblem 1. I'll be playing on Switch. How are those versions compared to the mobile phone versions? SNES versions are still the top.

They're basically the same version as the mobile ports.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Jupiter Jazz posted:

Fine.

They are the mobile phone versions, but with buttons and proper pixel scaling.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I really liked the mobile ports retranslations.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
What I wouldn’t give to have 4-6’s mobile versions brought over to the Switch. I’ve been playing the mobile version of 4 on and off and while I definitely like it, the mobile controls feel so slippery. If there isn’t some kind of new version with actual buttons I’m probably going to wind up just going with the DS versions of 5 and 6, since iirc they’re not missing party chat or anything.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Ran Rannerson posted:

What I wouldn’t give to have 4-6’s mobile versions brought over to the Switch. I’ve been playing the mobile version of 4 on and off and while I definitely like it, the mobile controls feel so slippery. If there isn’t some kind of new version with actual buttons I’m probably going to wind up just going with the DS versions of 5 and 6, since iirc they’re not missing party chat or anything.

4 mobile is so goooood, dude. The inclusion of party chat makes it so much better than the original ds version where it was cut out of the localization.

Ran Rannerson
Oct 23, 2010
Oh yeah I’m definitely loving it, I don’t know how I could get by without being able to consult goo-d boy Healie on every plot beat, and I’m currently on Alena’s chapter and she’s the best.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

I haven’t played since the original NES version but I remember Alena’s chapter being my favorite. I would start new saves just to play it over again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
My favorite is easily Torneko's. My fat merchant swordsman dude rocks.

Alena also rocks. She even smashes rocks so that's even better. Alena really comes alive in party talk in DQ4 mobile.

Team Hero, Alena, Torneko, and the cleric dude for life.

Ran Rannerson posted:

Oh yeah I’m definitely loving it, I don’t know how I could get by without being able to consult goo-d boy Healie on every plot beat, and I’m currently on Alena’s chapter and she’s the best.

Just wait till she's in your party in chapter 5. It owns. And since we were talking about post-games earlier, DQIV remake's post-game is particularly fantastic.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 18, 2020