Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Josh Lyman posted:

I love Old Forester 1920 but if I don’t have a problem with the proof, is there any point to try the other Whiskey Row series? Alternatively I’m thinking of picking up Jack Daniels Single Barrel, Makers Cask Strength, or Four Roses Small Batch. Everything mentioned is on sale this month.

Like others said, 1910 is pretty good, it’s finished in a toasted or charred cask or something, so along the lines of a woodford double oaked. More of a sweet, dessert style bourbon if you’re into that. I love that style, so 1910 is definitely worth a pickup IMO.

I don’t have personal experience with the other whiskey row stuff, but my pretty trustworthy liquor store guy doesn’t speak too highly of them, he says they can be heavy on banana notes and not worth the price.

Odd Mutant posted:

1910 is different enough and also very very good. Bottled in Bond tastes like a nicer version of their $26ish dollar bottle, and I never had Small Batch.

Maybe you'd want the BiB if you can't get the 1920. Which I can't these days. Here in west Wisconsin the 1920 and 1910 are now highly allocated, and you'll be lucky to see it on shelves more than two or three times a year. (If you folks think otherwise please tell me where you're seeing it.) The 1910 loving costs $95 in Chippewa Falls, what the poo poo.

Statesmen is however everywhere and pretty good. Smooth drinker, fruitier and very different from their other bottles, I don't know if I want to spend $65 on it, but I've found it at places for $52.

How far west in Wisconsin are you? I’m East of St. Paul, and can say that if you are having trouble finding 1920/1910, we are absolutely drowning in it over here. I can probably tell you a half dozen stores that have a shelf full of 1910 right now, and 1920 is always available everywhere! Maybe worth a trip if you are really in need!

On other notes, I think ECBP B520 is my whisky of the year, it is absolutely phenomenal and I’m doing everything I can to find a couple extra bottle to stash away. It’s probably the strongest burnt brown sugar/baking spice cookie flavor and nose I’ve ever had. Drinks under its proof, and man, I could just nose the empty glass for hours.

And a question for the group, anyone have experience with redbreast 12 cask strength? I’ve always wanted to try it, and found a place that’s selling it for 59.99, which seems realllly cheap for a 12 year cask strength whisky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

DoctaFun posted:

And a question for the group, anyone have experience with redbreast 12 cask strength? I’ve always wanted to try it, and found a place that’s selling it for 59.99, which seems realllly cheap for a 12 year cask strength whisky.

that's an insane price - that's what the regular 12 goes for around here

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
The RedBreast 12 CS is fantastic but I usually see it for like $90+. As Deceptive mentioned - $60 is like the regular 12 price.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The 12 CS is such a big leap from the regular 12 that it's absolutely worth the 50% increase in price. It's not just a stronger version of the 12, it's a much better whiskey.

The 12 CS is the non plus ultra of Irish Pot Still whiskey really. Buy it now. Buy two. Hell, buy a case.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Deceptive Thinker posted:

that's an insane price - that's what the regular 12 goes for around here

Weird, ~$60 is also standard here. Total Wine sells it right in that range, sometimes slightly more or slightly less. It does frequently go out of stock, however. The regular 12 goes for ~$40-50 and is always in stock.

antisodachrist
Jul 24, 2007
Regular 12 goes for 55 here, and the cask strength is 75. But the cask strength is 93 after taxes because WA.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

Weird, ~$60 is also standard here. Total Wine sells it right in that range, sometimes slightly more or slightly less. It does frequently go out of stock, however. The regular 12 goes for ~$40-50 and is always in stock.

The one place near here that has the cask strength in stock is $90 and an hour away
Regular 12 I can find for $45-60 at most stores in their online stock

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I don’t know if it’s the cheese or crackers I ate but my Evan Williams SB tastes extra orangey today. My 1792/BT infinity bottle too. I like it.

How much variation is there in the Single Barrel from bottle to bottle?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Dec 17, 2020

CleverHans
Apr 25, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Josh Lyman posted:

I don’t know if it’s the cheese or crackers I ate but my Evan Williams SB tastes extra orangey today. My 1792/BT infinity bottle too. I like it.

How much variation is there in the Single Barrel from bottle to bottle?

A fairly good deal, when compared to the regular bottlings: that is a great part of their cachet, all the character of individual single barrels rather than being blended out to the exact house style.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
I often use EWSB as an example of the base flavors I expect to get out of bourbon, but it generally doesn't hold up very well in my blinds. For reference I can't stand Evan Williams Black.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Yeah I’m surprised there’s not a lot of talk about certain foods and how they can impact your pallet.

Surgarless gum (and probably all artificial sugars) will suck away any sweetness I get from a whiskey.

Eating Salt and Pepper pistachios (for a while, like 300 calories worth throughout the day in my experience) will greatly enhance the oaky characteristics. It really changes the taste of whiskey in an interesting way.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Can’t wait still snack + whiskey bars for the ~*~artisanal flavor experience~*~ open up.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
One experience I always had fun with was to eat a really really spicy wing, then eat a dry rub wing to get sensation, and top it off with a sip of high proof bourbon/whiskey.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
That’s why I always cleanse my palate before drinking. I’ve experimented a lot with this, so please benefit from my hard work. Here’s my go to *~cleanse~*

Step one, 1/3 cup listerine, swish for 60 seconds, then swallow.

Step two, 12 ounces of orange juice.

But honestly, we are all butt chugging our barrel proof whisky anyways, right guys. Guys?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I cleanse my palate with shots of Everclear because it's burns off EVERYTHING

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Getting into bourbons myself currently. Love Bulleit, ordered some Maker‘s Mark since it seems to be a thread favorite and Knob Creek.

The selection in Europe is not great but I am pretty happy with the standard stuff I get for now. :D

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Can’t wait still snack + whiskey bars for the ~*~artisanal flavor experience~*~ open up.

In my experience it's a pretty tough sell. Food will modify/enhance your whiskey notes but after a few tastes of whiskey your palate tends to get blown out. It feels like a one-way road most of the time.

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen

Vox Nihili posted:

In my experience it's a pretty tough sell. Food will modify/enhance your whiskey notes but after a few tastes of whiskey your palate tends to get blown out. It feels like a one-way road most of the time.

However, that first sip of beer after a few drams usually tastes wonderfully malty.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I love the combo of good whiskey with a lovely beer like high life or something

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
The whiskey tribe can lean a bit annoying for me, but I really enjoyed this video:
whiskey pairings for thanksgiving

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Gejimayu posted:

The whiskey tribe can lean a bit annoying for me, but I really enjoyed this video:
whiskey pairings for thanksgiving

Any other personalities you recommend? The Whiskey Tribe guys have reviewed a couple of our bottles which was great for getting some wider recognition, but we only found out about them after the reviews started dropping, and aren’t really in the scene enough to know if there are other folks we should keep an eye on.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

The only Whisky guy I've found worth watching is Ralfy: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp0k3OKqfkPW0HdRLA8JWZg

He can be a bit long winded, but he's a treasure trove of information and is just about 0.0% bullshit.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

The only Whisky guy I've found worth watching is Ralfy: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp0k3OKqfkPW0HdRLA8JWZg

He can be a bit long winded, but he's a treasure trove of information and is just about 0.0% bullshit.

Looks like he just does Scotch, is that fair?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Klungar posted:

Looks like he just does Scotch, is that fair?
He periodically does American whiskeys. He liked Pikesville and Eagle Rare 10.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Agreed, Whiskey Tribe/Whiskey Vault are a couple of chuckleheads trying to sell their whiskey sommelier :rolleyes: program. I've really liked Bourbon Junkies for reviews to help decide whether to buy something.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I mentioned it a few pages back but ADHD whiskey is hilariously entertaining and really knows his poo poo

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Hello thread. You've previously steered this non-drinker in the right direction for buying whiskey presents, so I come to you for help again:

Can anyone recommend a sampler set/gift basket? It doesn't have to be extravagant, but hopefully it would be a little unusual or feature a broad range of stuff.

If it helps, the recipient likes Nine Banded and Redbreast, although I have zero clue if those have anything in common :v:

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
I like these two at "Its Bourbon Night". I can't stand the bro bourbon people but this couple and that Ralphy guy are cool. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuaWfZ9zdiH_io26xWbsprg

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’ve sung the praises of OF 1920 in this thread but gat drat Rare Breed gives it a run for its money. $45 and it includes 12 year old juice? Hell yeah.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
I can't help but like Bourbon Junkies. They're silly.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Yeah, Ralfy and It's Bourbon Night are cool. Somehow I don't mind the Whiskey Vault bros, but the Bourbon Junkies bros annoy me.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

I’ve sung the praises of OF 1920 in this thread but gat drat Rare Breed gives it a run for its money. $45 and it includes 12 year old juice? Hell yeah.
On the topic of whiskey youtube - "Mash and Drum" did a blind of "everyday" Bourbons yesterday and 1920 and rare breed were his #1 and #2. Fred Minnick did a similar one a few weeks back and they both placed in his top 3.

I'm doing a virtual blind tasting with a few friends on Saturday - lineup is 1920, Rare Breed, Bakers 7, and a Maker's Store pick

I think the Baker's is going to be the disappointment but I'm curious whether the Rare Breed can squeak out a win with this group

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Wow I just had the Tobermory 12 and it's pretty awesome to me. The nose really comes across cherry, with some cinnamon and then a tang when you get your nose in there. I've generally appreciated peaty scotches, but this had given those a run for their money. Never really had anything that tastes like this.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Fred Minnick is my go to Whiskey Tuber, he seems to share the same taste in whiskey so if he likes something I'm interested.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Deceptive Thinker posted:

On the topic of whiskey youtube - "Mash and Drum" did a blind of "everyday" Bourbons yesterday and 1920 and rare breed were his #1 and #2. Fred Minnick did a similar one a few weeks back and they both placed in his top 3.

I'm doing a virtual blind tasting with a few friends on Saturday - lineup is 1920, Rare Breed, Bakers 7, and a Maker's Store pick

I think the Baker's is going to be the disappointment but I'm curious whether the Rare Breed can squeak out a win with this group

Those maker’s picks can be so good. I don’t ever keep track of the stave combos I’ve had, but they seem to have like a really solid floor, and ‘just about as good as any wheated bourbon out there’ ceiling.

That said, I’m going to guess

Makers
Rare breed
Bakers

As the outcome. But makers is the odd duck there, I’m interested in how your group rates them!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Carillon posted:

Wow I just had the Tobermory 12 and it's pretty awesome to me. The nose really comes across cherry, with some cinnamon and then a tang when you get your nose in there. I've generally appreciated peaty scotches, but this had given those a run for their money. Never really had anything that tastes like this.

If you aren't already aware, Ledaig is a peated whisky from the same distillery so you might like that even more.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Double post.

PM’d a guy in a FB group that was looking for a bottle of McKenna 10, we got to chatting and apparently he works with Cat’s Eye distillery, and has had a part in their obtainium series. Anyone ever heard of this? A couple unique expressions that are intriguing.

They make a Light whiskey that’s 13 or 14 years old and bottled at like 140 proof.

And they make a polish rye finished in red wine barrels.

Both kind of intriguing, anyone tried any of them?

I’ll try to find out more as I may meet up with him tomorrow.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

Double post.

PM’d a guy in a FB group that was looking for a bottle of McKenna 10, we got to chatting and apparently he works with Cat’s Eye distillery, and has had a part in their obtainium series. Anyone ever heard of this? A couple unique expressions that are intriguing.

They make a Light whiskey that’s 13 or 14 years old and bottled at like 140 proof.

And they make a polish rye finished in red wine barrels.

Both kind of intriguing, anyone tried any of them?

I’ll try to find out more as I may meet up with him tomorrow.

I haven't, but once again the timing is funny because ADHD Whiskey had the light whiskey in his advent calendar video a few days back and seemed to really enjoy it, and another in a review video so you could check those out
I don't remember which video in the advent calendar it was but the other is here
https://youtu.be/jp0S2E3vehQ

Carillon
May 9, 2014

spankmeister posted:

If you aren't already aware, Ledaig is a peated whisky from the same distillery so you might like that even more.

I was not aware and that sounds up my alley! Thanks for the tip, will definitely check that out.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Tonight’s haul. Hopefully I picked good barrels for the Makers and Michters. :ohdear: Also apparently this is a “Slam Dunk” bottle of Makers with the excess wax and might be a collectible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

Tonight’s haul. Hopefully I picked good barrels for the Makers and Michters. :ohdear: Also apparently this is a “Slam Dunk” bottle of Makers with the excess wax and might be a collectible?

Ha, they should dip all the Maker's bottles like that.

Although having watched a video of the bottle line, I wouldn't wish that upon the poor folks who actually have to dunk each and every bottle in wax.