Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i think they just do the math

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the space folding is just a technology they have, but the process is non-deterministic so you have to have these clairvoyant navigators to predict a path that won't end up inside a star or something.

very powerful computers can do it to a suitable level of accuracy too but computers are haraam.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Jonny 290 posted:

hi all you nerds bitchign about hyperdrive flaws in ep8:

at the core of every hyperdrive is 1 (one) human soul. it requires it to work. this is not in the books but once you learn that, it all makes sense.

namaste~

hyperdrive fuel is actually concentrated midichlorian solution, extracted from force-sensitive slaves

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

actually thanks to the solo movie the kessel run is now canonically difficult because there's a big space monster in there

because i'm a big nerd i became instantly angry at that scene when i noticed the the space creature's tentacles have suckers on them, which don't work in a vacuum. it never would have evolved that way. mad

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

the space folding is just a technology they have, but the process is non-deterministic so you have to have these clairvoyant navigators to predict a path that won't end up inside a star or something.

very powerful computers can do it to a suitable level of accuracy too but computers are haraam.

in lynch dune im pretty sure its the navigators actually folding the space and idr anything specific about it in the novel

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i remember being told about a golden-age sf story where big space battleships had an advantage because they could fit a larger and more precise slide rule along their center axis (and thus could make more precise navigational and targeting calculations than smaller ships)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the first book specifically says that the navigators have "limited prescience" and they look ahead in time to find the safe path. the space-folding is part of the holtzman effect, a physics phenomenon that also enables shields and anti-gravity.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

FMguru posted:

i remember being told about a golden-age sf story where big space battleships had an advantage because they could fit a larger and more precise slide rule along their center axis (and thus could make more precise navigational and targeting calculations than smaller ships)

this is dope lmao

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
reminds me of the concept i thought up one day where information was encoded in an offset+length format using calculated digits of pi. crypto cracking would become a pure most-digits-computed arms race

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
book dune they're super duper mentats, huffing spice gives them enough brain to look at the data and figure out a safe way to go from a to b. the actual space folding isn't what they do, they just steer. the physical deformity poo poo is because of how much spice they need in order to get there.

i'm not sure if it's explicitly stated that machines used to do those calculations before the butlerian jihad, or if it's just implied. (not counting brian herbert fanfic here). but it definitely comes up that one of the players in the story is trying to build new thinking machines to do the astrogation.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Jabor posted:

book dune they're super duper mentats, huffing spice gives them enough brain to look at the data and figure out a safe way to go from a to b. the actual space folding isn't what they do, they just steer. the physical deformity poo poo is because of how much spice they need in order to get there.

i'm not sure if it's explicitly stated that machines used to do those calculations before the butlerian jihad, or if it's just implied. (not counting brian herbert fanfic here). but it definitely comes up that one of the players in the story is trying to build new thinking machines to do the astrogation.

does the book even talk about physical deformities? i thought the book just says nobody outside the guild has even seen a navigator

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

there’s a very famous golden age short where some random schmuck redisovers math without using a computer and the military immediately starts training kamikaze bomb controllers because they are cheaper than computers

there’s a lot of great golden age scifi out there, if you can take it for what it is (same caveats as other pulp, like noir etc)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

fart simpson posted:

does the book even talk about physical deformities? i thought the book just says nobody outside the guild has even seen a navigator

in the first book no one has ever seen a navigator. at the end a couple of guildsmen show up and they are regular short fat guys but it doesn't say they are navigators.

in one of the later books the navigator edric is described as having long fingers and a smoothed out face and stuff but he's still humanoid.

david lynch invented the weird worm thing wholesale because he's david lynch.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

fart simpson posted:

the original book doesn't, but frank's later books do

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
the start of the first sequel (dune messiah) has a navigator (edric) meeting some conspirators to plan their overthrow of emperor paul, and he is described as "an elongated figure, vaguely humanoid with finned feet and hugely fanned membranous hands — a fish in a strange sea"

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

lol if you’ve read any dune sequels

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
archer season 11 just came to netflix, nice

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

PCjr sidecar posted:

there’s a lot of great golden age scifi out there, if you can take it for what it is (same caveats as other pulp, like noir etc)

Skylark of Space series was good imo

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

fart simpson posted:

My coworker is a big fan of old school sci fi serials and says Dune and Dune Messiah were essentially released and written as one book in magazine form (tho I haven't read Messiah to confirm)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

qirex posted:

westworld was a moderately interesting idea that got turned by s3 into setups for a bunch of incredibly unimpressive "epic moments" that are all dumb as hell if you think about them for more than 5 seconds

ie the computer that runs the entire goddamn world has less security than a regional airport
Such is certainly the case with the last prestige TV show to dominate the cultural conversation: Westworld. When HBO, the Zeus from whose head the Goddess of Quality Television sprang, debuted Westworld, a show with lavish production detail, acclaimed actors, and a Nolan brother behind the camera, there was no real doubt as to how the recappers and critics would respond. But is there anything truly interesting, fresh, and groundbreaking about Westworld? The pilot seeps through 80 lugubrious minutes of recycled meditations on man’s inhumanity to robot, spiked with gratuitous nudity and violence, and climaxing with one of the cheapest bits of dramaturgy in the prestige TV toolkit. I won’t spoil it for new viewers, but it’s the same kind of tired old stylistic tricks that the genre routinely uses to make a show’s violent, titillating aspects (i.e. the main reason everyone was watching) seem artistic and rewarding. A character monologues optimistically over a montage of her fellow cast members looking stricken or sadistic, all scored with an ironically foreboding ambient score, punctuated by a small act of violence and an abrupt fade-to-black. There’s an ominous low tone that signals you’re watching Something Very Serious and Important. Behind it, you can almost hear another voice, the voice of the internet opinions to come, assuring you that all of this is as it should be in the best of all possible worlds.

After a few episodes, the fundamental insufficiency of Westworld as a piece of art became impossible to ignore even to the most fervent television evangelist, but the flagship prestige show on the flagship prestige network was simply too big to fail. So the Westworld articles spit out by content-mills focused mostly on decoding the show’s central plot mysteries (Who is the Man in Black? What is the Labyrinth? Who killed Arnold?), rather than analysis of banalities like “character” or “theme” or “emotional resonance.” The glossier outlets insisted that Westworld’s wooly-headed pretentiousness and compulsive mystery-mongering were actually a satire of prestige TV tropes. (“An exploitation series about exploitation, full of naked bodies that are meant to make us think about nudity and violence that comments on violence”—Emily Nussbaum) Anything to avoid the obvious fact that everyone watched the show because it had boobs and blood and because everyone else was watching it and it’s so lonely out here.

One of the bitterest of the many bitter ironies of the digital age is that the explosion of television options and web-based platforms featuring cultural writing has led not to a flowering of creativity and a golden age of critical insight, but an all-consuming monoculture. A cargo cult where the trappings of a few groundbreaking cable shows from early in the millennium have hardened into tropes that power a legion of inferior imitators. Even more disturbingly, dozens of writers at dozens of outlets that depend on clicks and engagement have forged a hive-mind of positivity about the whole thing, assuring their audience that a diet of cultural junk food is just as healthy as balanced meals, because television is the medium best suited to the lives of internet-addicted office drones. Hopefully, as the Golden Age of the Golden Age of Television recedes farther into memory, and as viewers’ working conditions grow more and more intolerable, there will be a collective realization that we deserve better than Prestige

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/05/how-tv-became-respectable-without-getting-better

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 17, 2020

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

fart simpson posted:

chapterhouse fuckin owns

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

New Expanse is up and pretty spaceships go boom

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
theyre doing the fuckin thing where they put out the first 3 and then release the rest once a week

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Good, I hate feeling like I'm behind just because I can't binge twenty hours of television all at once

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

i like westworld, it has robots shooting at things and things shooting at robots

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

duz posted:

i like westworld, it has robots shooting at things and things shooting at robots
so did the arcade game robotron:2084

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

duz posted:

so does terminator watch t2 instead

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Jabor posted:

this was always my understanding - big gravity wells mess up hyperdrives, which is why e.g. the transports needed to take off and fly away from Hoth before entering hyperspace.

yeah but in TFA Han comes out of hyperspace like 50 yards above a planet’s surface. also in The Mandalorian an Imperial Cruiser jumps to hyperspace in the atmosphere

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
in season 2 of westworld there's samurai world I was really looking forward to and it was the dumbest poo poo almost to the point of racism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqHz4ebJ_vU

"what do we know about samurai?"
"well they talk and fight with swords and kill themselves"
"okay done check it off"

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
you gotta admit, it's pretty on-brand for "rich person theme park built around samurai"

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

to be fair it’s supposed to appeal to ultra rich Americans, not be historically accurate. the Wild West park (and the brief glimpse we get of India World) is all stereotypes too, it seemed deliberate

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
it's not even a good fight though

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
lol I'm sure it's obvious why it pisses me off, but I mean they could have re-created a famous movie fight even

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

indigi posted:

to be fair it’s supposed to appeal to ultra rich Americans, not be historically accurate. the Wild West park (and the brief glimpse we get of India World) is all stereotypes too, it seemed deliberate

but in s3 you find out that westworld and all the parks are actually in china

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

they just couldnt find any local chinese workers qualified to do any jobs at all in the park i guess? so lets just import literally 100% of our labor from america and england. im sure this was all planned out before they wrote season 1

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

fart simpson posted:

but in s3 you find out that westworld and all the parks are actually in china

lol is there any reason for this

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i dont think so. the only reason afaict is that you didnt expect this, did you

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

they explicitly call out the writer reusing his western scripts in samuraiworld which would be some interesting allusions to film history etc if the show was better

the game of thrones cameo in s3 was great because it made got fans mad

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

New Expanse is up and pretty spaceships go boom

yessssss

time to dust off my belter impression and loudly shout "oi who dis Fred Johnson say he a belta?" every time that guy is in screen

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

SmokaDustbowl posted:

in season 2 of westworld there's samurai world I was really looking forward to and it was the dumbest poo poo almost to the point of racism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqHz4ebJ_vU

"what do we know about samurai?"
"well they talk and fight with swords and kill themselves"
"okay done check it off"
god i forgot about what a huge wasted opportunity that idea was

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

SmokaDustbowl posted:

so does terminator watch t2 instead