Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

No. It’s easy to classify him and Goldberry.

When the book came out it was a mystery yes. Now we have the Valaquenta and it’s trivial to identify them.

If you want to say that in the context of lord of the rings only Tom is a mystery ok. Goldberry is a nymph in that context. Tom is an ancient earth spirit.

Even with the silmarillion, local spirits of the earth and stream are the best "in universe" explanation. The maiar came from Outside. Tom was there before they came, created with Ea.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Dec 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Even with the silmarillion, local spirits of the earth and stream are the best "in universe" explanation. The maiar came from Outside.

There wasn’t anything on earth when the ainur showed up

Being on earth “before morgoth came from the outside” means Tom could have been there in a large span of time depending on what exactly he meant by that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Tom's always really bothered me because I feel like while him being unexplained and perhaps unexplainable is cool and fine, this coupled with his complete immunity to the ring - itself already a huge problem in my opinion - kind of is a big narrative problem that is made all the worse by how early in the story it comes up.

The central premise and threat around which the narrative turns is the idea that the Ring is insurmountable as a temptation; no one no matter how pure or good can long resist its allure or wield it for good. Gandalf and Galadriel, powerful and good beings, would become monstrous tyrants were they to wield it. The Ring *must* be destroyed because no one could be trusted to keep it secret, keep it safe.

Except we're barely out of Hobbiton and we've just run into some weirdo in the woods who is completely and utterly immune to the Ring. Literally the first guy we run into who isn't a Hobbit completely negates the central premise on which the conflict/story stands. And one could of course say/argue that Bombadil is unique and so looking around for another being like him to entrust the Ring to would be pointless, but that's not true because we can't say anything like that about Bombadil because literally nothing about him is ever explained. For all we know every forest in the world has a Bombadil if you look hard enough. Just because he is wildly irresponsible and would lose the Ring doesn't mean the next dancing jackass two forests down would.

I mean, I still love the books, and the greater Legendarium, don't get me wrong, but I've just always felt that Bombadil, at least how he's handled and introduced, was a mistake. But in concept, he's cool and fun.

Hey ho.

Going from the meta perspective of all Tolkien's writing career as a whole, you can hardly escape the conclusion that given enough time, he'd have gone back and (tried to) rewrite LotR just as he attempted to rewrite the Hobbit and the Silmarillion stuff, tossing out the talking satchels and stone-giants and flat pre-Sun-and-Moon Earth, in an attempt to provide clear answers about what everything is and make it all mechanistically true to the "real world" and modern observable science (and consistent with Catholic ideas about predestination and original sin), and Tom would have met the same fate.

Which is to say he'd show the notes to Christopher or some of his publisher friends and they'd pat him on the shoulder and say "Ronald dear, leave it alone, you're ruining it"

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The "all others are Maia" doesn't explain Ungoliant, who (iirc) is explicitly not Maia but also doesn't fall into the taxonomy of either.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

euphronius posted:

There wasn’t anything on earth when the ainur showed up

Being on earth “before morgoth came from the outside” means Tom could have been there in a large span of time depending on what exactly he meant by that.

I basically subscribe to the "spirit" theory as delineated here: http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/t/tombombadil.html

I think that covers all the cites. Tolkien's description of Tom Bombadil as "the spirit of the (vanishing) Oxford and Berkshire countryside" clinches it imho. On a meta level he's just an external conceit Tolkien shoved into the larger story (for various reasons, probably mostly intuitive on Tolkien's part); within the structure of the Lord of the Rings, he's a spirit of the countryside, a created being of a different Order from the Valar and Maiar, who predated Melkor within Eä.

Note that there were, explicitly, other "orders" of beings within Eä who weren't valar, maiar, or men/elves/dwarves etc.

hell, technically Hobbits aren't part of the listed Orders in the Silmarillion. (Because the Silmarillion is just elf propaganda).

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

sweet geek swag posted:

I think Tom Bombadil is more of a force or an idea than an actual person, which is why this doesn't bother me. He doesn't have a will to bend. He just is. And that sort of eternal 'is' is just something that is essentially indefinable and magical. Tom Bombadil isn't a person or even a thing. He is something else, something beyond description, and that sort of wonder is what makes the character work.

This works for me.

Like, again, really, my issue is just more the fact he's both unexplained AND immune to the Ring. I feel like either element would be fine on its own, but together is where the problematic implications arise. Hence why I don't really have much of a problem with like Ungoilant or the Lovecraftian horrors Gandalf implies lurk beneath the world.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

This works for me.

Like, again, really, my issue is just more the fact he's both unexplained AND immune to the Ring. I feel like either element would be fine on its own, but together is where the problematic implications arise. Hence why I don't really have much of a problem with like Ungoilant or the Lovecraftian horrors Gandalf implies lurk beneath the world.

If we go by the Genius Loci theory, as above, Tom's immune to the Ring for the same reason a hill or a flower would be. He's the spirit of a place, and he doesn't care for anything beyond that place. The "giving a dog a gold bar" is pretty accurate. Tom's of a different Order entirely. You could get a medieval peasant in a lot of trouble by giving him an ak47, but if you gave one to a river, nothing would happen, the river would just flow.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 17, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I basically subscribe to the "spirit" theory as delineated here: http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/t/tombombadil.html

I think that covers all the cites. Tolkien's description of Tom Bombadil as "the spirit of the (vanishing) Oxford and Berkshire countryside" clinches it imho. On a meta level he's just an external conceit Tolkien shoved into the larger story (for various reasons, probably mostly intuitive on Tolkien's part); within the structure of the Lord of the Rings, he's a spirit of the countryside, a created being of a different Order from the Valar and Maiar, who predated Melkor within Eä.

Note that there were, explicitly, other "orders" of beings within Eä who weren't valar, maiar, or men/elves/dwarves etc.

hell, technically Hobbits aren't part of the listed Orders in the Silmarillion. (Because the Silmarillion is just elf propaganda).

That basically comes down to he cant be a maia because he isnt affected by the ring. But the only maiar we see effected are the wizards and they arent like other maiar as they were incorporated into bodies. They were humans (more or less) and have similar human emotions and foibles such a jealousy and anger and desire.. Other maiar just present an appearance "like wearing clothes". Tom could appear as anything and maybe just chose the form we see in the book to make himself understood to the hobbits. (for example his house is very hobbity. but is a faerie place so could be anything) So I dont know if its fair to compare maia like Tom to maia like Gandalf. Also there are tons of Maia that we don't know how they react to the Ring. Maybe they would be immune just like Tom is.

His other reference to the primacy of melkor relies on the Book of Lost tales and i don't think we should bring that in. I mean we can but then its all topsy turvey. Also Melkor is in arda, but leaves at some point and comes back (I dont have time to nail down this cite I can if you want) and Tom could have come to arda in that time when Melkor left. Also melkor hid at points and the Ainur didnt know where he was or if he was in arda. That could also be a time.

euphronius fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 17, 2020

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Tom and Ungoliant are aliens.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
oh sure, it isn't a settled question and he *could* be a Maiar. Especially if *Goldberry* is a nature spirit and then Tom could be a Maiar binding himself to a particular region, a la Melian.

But a earth spirit of a particular region seems to fit better. We know there are such spirits -- see, e.g., Caradhras -- and it seems to take less work to explain everything if Tom is just the spirit of the hobbitty countryside.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Tom and Ungoliant are aliens.

Iluvatar's probably running dozens of universes simultaneously and sometimes stuff leaks back and forth. "Haha yeah Manwe it's just you guys on Arda and me up here in the Void, that's all of creation" and then he ducks next door to where it's Oops All Spiders.

But a earth spirit of a particular region seems to fit better. We know there are such spirits -- see, e.g., Caradhras -- and it seems to take less work to explain everything if Tom is just the spirit of the hobbitty countryside.

Uh whoa, buddy, I think you'll find that Caradhras is a Maia that took the physical shape of a mountain.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

Oops All Spiders

New thread title please.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Pham Nuwen posted:

In summary I don't think it's useful to say "it speaks but it isn't Elf, Man, Hobbit, or Orc, therefore it's a Maia". Frankly it's kinda loving boring if you have dragons, talking eagles, intelligent hounds, werewolves, etc. but actually they're all just the same sort of spirits that took various shapes.

Some people do say Tolkien is boring, but usually for other reasons. Dragons are the only outlier you mention that don't have Maia progenitors iirc

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Pham Nuwen posted:

Iluvatar's probably running dozens of universes simultaneously and sometimes stuff leaks back and forth. "Haha yeah Manwe it's just you guys on Arda and me up here in the Void, that's all of creation" and then he ducks next door to where it's Oops All Spiders.

Either that or He sang in the occasional subsonic brown note as a surprise.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Mahoning posted:

New thread title please.

I want to take a moment to say I'm honored and that if you try to read any allegory into the title I'll gut you and leave your entrails for the Eagles (which are talking intelligent creatures, not Maia, and not in possession of a fea)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

oh sure, it isn't a settled question and he *could* be a Maiar. Especially if *Goldberry* is a nature spirit and then Tom could be a Maiar binding himself to a particular region, a la Melian.

Fair enough

I think your “earth spirit” separate form the maiar can work

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If I recall they even say that if Bombadil didn't lose the ring or whatever, he wouldn't be able to stop Sauron if Sauron was like "OK, it's in the Old Forest." Sauron would apply enough orcs with shovels and axes to the problem to eventually get it back and he was already winning without physically having the Ring as it was.

But could you have given Ungoliant or Shelob the Ring?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dunno about Shelob but Ungoliant drank the light of heaven itself. The ring is small fry compared to that.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Dunno about Shelob but Ungoliant drank the light of heaven itself. The ring is small fry compared to that.

According to legend, she also finally consumed herself. Although she was most likely not a Maia, she was an incredibly powerful being that was a serious threat to Morgoth, a Vala. Seems like she could probably devour a ring that's comprised of a portion of a Maia.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

CommonShore posted:

To come up with "true" divisions and classifications for every being in Tolkein is uninteresting and overall impossible because Tolkein's works aren't internally consistent or coherent. He was just a dude who made some stories, and the fact of his world is simply the text that's on the page. There's no statement of what Bombadil "really" is, and so the truth of the situation is that he's ambiguous.

Besides that type of reading is far less interesting that reflecting on what he symbolizes from a storytelling perspective. I see him personifying the indifference of the natural world to the mechanisms of the great and the powerful. Sometimes that natural world can delight and provide. It can even be musical and playful. In other cases it can threaten and menace. But it doesn't give a poo poo about its immediate continued existance, which extends far beyond the horizons of memory, myth, and legend. You can't rely on it to help you or your cause, even if your interests are aligned, because it will just go back to being.

This is really just on a moment's reflection anyway.

yeah people ascribe too much reality to fiction, like there's some "real" truth behind what's just on the page. i think it's fine to imagine what bombadil could be or what he's supposed to stand for or what his function in the story is but it's weird to me how people seem so attached to consistency and systematicity in fiction nowadays and expect "worldbuilding" and how every inconsistency is ascribed to an "alternate timeline" ugh

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Valaquenta et al is literally world building.

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

I could shoot someone if it would make you feel better.
A lot of the entities you're claiming to be Maiar on the basis of the Valaquenta were explicitly stated by Tolkien to not be Ainur. For instance, the Eagles:

Morgoth's Ring, Myths Transformed posted:

The same sort of thing may be said of Húan and the Eagles: they were taught language by the Valar, and raised to a higher level — but they still had no fëar.

Being unable to neatly sort something into the four Incarnate kindreds of Elf, Man, Dwarf, and Orc does not mean they must be an Ainu. Tolkien intentionally left the nature of Tom and Glodberry a mystery.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m not getting into Christopher Tolkien stuff on purpose

It gets murky quick.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

euphronius posted:

Valaquenta et al is literally world building.

i think there's a big difference between how tolkien does that and what the term means now for, i dunno, star wars or something like that

i think the difference is that there's always a framing device that ensures that it still reads as a story, not as an authoritative account of what "really" happened. i don't really read much or any modern sci fi or fantasy or anything but my impression is that those stories tend to feature "worldbuilding" in this sense of an authoritative narrator telling you what's up, usually in excess of what's actually needed to make the story work, and then multiple stories are told in that framework

i like the silmarillion because i can feel like i'm basically reading a weird version of the bible or the edda, not just some self contained "world" that has nothing to do with ours

this is more of a matter of my personal taste though i guess

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Nessus posted:

If I recall they even say that if Bombadil didn't lose the ring or whatever, he wouldn't be able to stop Sauron if Sauron was like "OK, it's in the Old Forest." Sauron would apply enough orcs with shovels and axes to the problem to eventually get it back and he was already winning without physically having the Ring as it was.

incorrect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmEsCKAb7r0

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

euphronius posted:

I’m not getting into Christopher Tolkien stuff on purpose

It gets murky quick.

The published Silmarillion is "Christopher Tolkien stuff" though.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

"Manwe sent spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles" does not mean "Gwaihir was a Maia"

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Falathrim posted:

The published Silmarillion is "Christopher Tolkien stuff" though.

ok besides that. Almost of all of it was written and edited by JRRT and intended for publication (in fact sent to his publisher for publication!!)

the other stuff is great but ...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

"Manwe sent spirits in the shape of hawks and eagles" does not mean "Gwaihir was a Maia"

True.

They could be though. It may be as you say they were decsendend from Maiar like Shelob or Aragorn

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

euphronius posted:

True.

They could be though. It may be as you say they were decsendend from Maiar like Shelob or Aragorn

Didn't we just establish that Ungoliant was neither Maiar nor Valar?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

Didn't we just establish that Ungoliant was neither Maiar nor Valar?

I never agreed to that.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In the silmarillion ungoliant is specifically introduced as being some hateful spirit coming from the void outside of the world. I'll dig up a direct quotation when I'm not phone posting if you want.

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

euphronius posted:

ok besides that. Almost of all of it was written and edited by JRRT and intended for publication (in fact sent to his publisher for publication!!)

the other stuff is great but ...

This is completely untrue. The published Silmarillion was a chimaera of works compiled and heavily edited by Christopher Tolkien and Guy Gavriel Kay. It's true that Tolkien sent a few example chapters of the 1930s version of the Quenta Silmarillion to his publisher, but these chapters were rejected. Few if any of these chapters made it into the published Silmarillion, because Tolkien attempted to rework the legendarium from scratch after The Lord of the Rings was published. The 1930s version of the Quenta Silmarillion was no longer consistent or compatible with what he'd come up with while writing the trilogy.

Falathrim fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 18, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah but just about the only things Christopher actually added were

- Eonwë being “the mightiest in arms of all Arda” because otherwise changing him from being Manwë’s son and yet a badass in battle seemed weird

- Thingol’s pompous speech to the Dwarves about “how dare you of uncouth race”

Like literally nothing else was made up out of whole cloth by him, his editorial impact lay mostly in deciding not to publish most of JRRT’s later revisions

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Shibawanko posted:

yeah people ascribe too much reality to fiction, like there's some "real" truth behind what's just on the page. i think it's fine to imagine what bombadil could be or what he's supposed to stand for or what his function in the story is but it's weird to me how people seem so attached to consistency and systematicity in fiction nowadays and expect "worldbuilding" and how every inconsistency is ascribed to an "alternate timeline" ugh

This is a really interesting point, but one I have real trouble articulating!
I guess there's that idea of "canon;" that there is some real ultimate true List Of What Happened In Middle Earth, and the Sil, LotR etc are all aspects of this. I'd love to know what Tolkien would've thought about this idea, big ole literature nerd that he was.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

that game was so loving good

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
"The Tolkien thread has way more new posts than I've seen in a while, I wonder what's up--lol Bombadil-o argument-o"

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Nessus posted:

But could you have given Ungoliant or Shelob the Ring?
Gollum's whole plan of taking them up the stair route was to lead them by Shelob who he surmised would kill Frodo and Sam both and toss their remnants - rags and bones and ostensibly the Ring - because she didn't care about such things. So I'm guessing like Tom it would hold no interest to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falathrim
May 7, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Yeah but just about the only things Christopher actually added were

- Eonwë being “the mightiest in arms of all Arda” because otherwise changing him from being Manwë’s son and yet a badass in battle seemed weird

- Thingol’s pompous speech to the Dwarves about “how dare you of uncouth race”

Like literally nothing else was made up out of whole cloth by him, his editorial impact lay mostly in deciding not to publish most of JRRT’s later revisions

Most of the chapter Of the Ruin of Doriath was written by Christopher and Guy Kay, because the only time Tolkien ever wrote that chapter himself was in 1917, dating to the Book of Lost Tales era, and making it entirely irreconcilable with the rest of the Quenta Silmarillion. The last two-page summary even of the Ruin of Doriath is found in the Quenta, which dates to 1930.

The War of the Jewels, The Tale of Years, pgs. 354–5 posted:

If [the Tale of the Nauglafring (II.221) and the Quenta (IV.132–4)] are compared with the story told in The Silmarillion it is seen at once that this latter is fundamentally changed, to a form for which in certain essential features there is no authority whatever in my father's own writings.

There were very evident problems with the old story. …

This story was not lightly or easily conceived, but was the outcome of long experimentation among alternative conceptions. In this work Guy Kay took a major part, and the chapter that I finally wrote owes much to my discussions with him. It is, and was, obvious that a step was being taken of a different order from any other ‘manipulation’ of my father’s own writing in the course of the book: even in the case of the story of The Fall of Gondolin, to which my father had never returned, something could be contrived without introducing radical changes in the narrative. It seemed at that time that there were elements inherent in the story of the Ruin of Doriath as it stood that were radically incompatible with ‘The Silmarillion’ as projected, and that there was here an inescapable choice: either to abandon that conception, or else to alter the story. I think now that this was a mistaken view, and that the undoubted difficulties could have been, and should have been, surmounted without so far overstepping the bounds of the editorial function.

While it's true that there aren't many editorial additions to the rest of the published Silmarillion by Christopher, the fact remains that the published Silmarillion is just as much Christopher's work as is Unfinished Tales and the History of Middle-earth. I would argue that it is even more so Christopher's work, because you cannot as easily distinguish where his father's writing ends and his own editorial decisions come into play.

Shiroc posted:

"The Tolkien thread has way more new posts than I've seen in a while, I wonder what's up--lol Bombadil-o argument-o"

To be fair I'm talking less about Tom Bombadil and more the editorial process that went into The Silmarillion.