Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Eric Cantonese posted:

Have there been any updates to the early voting numbers in the runoffs?
Check here (bookmark it if need be): https://electproject.github.io/Early-Vote-2020G/GA_RO.html

At 715k votes on day two, mostly from rural counties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

To put that number in perspective:
During the presidential election 4 million votes were cast early (2.7 million in person, 1.3 million by mail) and another 1 million on election day.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

DTurtle posted:

To put that number in perspective:
During the presidential election 4 million votes were cast early (2.7 million in person, 1.3 million by mail) and another 1 million on election day.

Seems like a good position to be in with regard to turn out for the Democrats considering we have another couple weeks of early voting.

Plus, I think the state just started sending out absentee ballots a day or two ago. I still have not received mine.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1339404465531723776?s=20

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

quote:

Those prioritizing the economy are breaking for the Republican incumbents, while the Democratic challengers are leading with voters who see the coronavirus, health care and social justice as more important.

The Emerson College survey polled 605 people Dec. 14-16. It has a margin of error of 3.9 percentage points.

Excuse me while I go bang my head against a wall again.

To be fair, didn't both Perdue and Loeffler end up ahead in the runoffs?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"The suburbs are the future of the Democratic Party, get hosed labor :smug:"

Suburbanites: "Orange man gone, a Republican said the word 'economy' so I'm coming home"

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

Eric Cantonese posted:

Excuse me while I go bang my head against a wall again.

To be fair, didn't both Perdue and Loeffler end up ahead in the runoffs?

Perdue did, Loeffler didn't. Loeffler was also running along side 300 poo poo zillion people, so it's pretty inconclusive.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

blossommirage posted:

Perdue did, Loeffler didn't. Loeffler was also running along side 300 poo poo zillion people, so it's pretty inconclusive.

Warnock ran ahead of Loeffler, but Republicans combined ran ahead of combined Democrats in that race.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Loeffler is so hilariously corrupt and awful, that we can at least hope some supporters of her Republican rivals stay home, but on the other hand she may benefit from Purdue being on the same ballot since Republicans who turn out for him may well just vote the whole Republican ticket.

After all Purdue isn't that much less corrupt so if he's not a bridge too far, oof.

I think Warnock would have a much better chance against her if there weren't two races on the ballot.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yep, I'm guessing it's gonna end up being a split victory. Loeffler is loving awful and Warnock can probably pull in a few Obama-Trump "see I'm not racist!!!!" votes from the suburbs. Perdue isn't quite as bad and Ossoff is boring so a lot of ex-Republicans probably feel safe voting for him even if they don't like Loeffler enough.

Centurium
Aug 17, 2009

blossommirage posted:

Loeffler was running against one other person, a challenger from the ultra MAGA right. Warnock was competing against 33 1/3 people.

Neither Purdue nor Loeffler hit 50% +1, thus the runnoff. The fact that Purdue has to run again is extremely favorable for Democrats.

Also, take a look at election day of voters and how that lines up with Trump only voters.

Interesting.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Slaan posted:

Yep, I'm guessing it's gonna end up being a split victory. Loeffler is loving awful and Warnock can probably pull in a few Obama-Trump "see I'm not racist!!!!" votes from the suburbs. Perdue isn't quite as bad and Ossoff is boring so a lot of ex-Republicans probably feel safe voting for him even if they don't like Loeffler enough.
I'm guessing Emerson/any poll post-election is extremely dubious (considering we now know very few voters respond to phonebanking) so that's why your hopes are up despite the GOP being up +1/+3?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Dumb optimism, yeah. Even a split win is still a long shot. Georgia is only slightly in purple territory

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

If 55% of mail-in ballots from the first million voters are from the elderly, are dem chances hosed?

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Grouchio posted:

If 55% of mail-in ballots from the first million voters are from the elderly, are dem chances hosed?

Depends on how concerned they are with coronavirus.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Grouchio posted:

I'm guessing Emerson/any poll post-election is extremely dubious (considering we now know very few voters respond to phonebanking) so that's why your hopes are up despite the GOP being up +1/+3?

The Republicans being up by 3 points in one poll with a 4 point margin of error is meaningless. What you should be taking away from the Georgia runoff polls is that both races are too close for polls to tell you who will win and there is no evidence of voters switching parties from the runoff to the general election (but we don't know which party will have better turnout).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Yeah it's just... pure turnout :geno:

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/thehill/status/1339802838524899328

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.
https://www.ajc.com/politics/75k-new-georgia-voters-registered-before-us-senate-runoffs/H3CXAFIKFVCKHJNW5MBFZKQDZU/

Nearly 76,000 new voters registered after the presidential election and in time for the runoffs.

Hope is poison, but it's so tasty.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Eric Cantonese posted:

https://www.ajc.com/politics/75k-new-georgia-voters-registered-before-us-senate-runoffs/H3CXAFIKFVCKHJNW5MBFZKQDZU/

Nearly 76,000 new voters registered after the presidential election and in time for the runoffs.

Hope is poison, but it's so tasty.

It's all Republicans, coming home to curb the Dems' power now that Biden's President-elect and Trump's on his way out.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Ok Comboomer posted:

It's all Republicans, coming home to curb the Dems' power now that Biden's President-elect and Trump's on his way out.

"They’re overwhelmingly young, with 56% of them under 35 years old"

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I know exit polling data is generally bullshit, but I recall seeing that both 2016 and 2018 showed Georgia as one of the most heavily stratified along age lines, with younger voters much more heavily Dem-aligned than surrounding states, but with the GOP holding a vice grip on non-minorities over 50. I remember Nate Silver making the argument that this might be one area where demographics actually might flip the state like Virginia or Colorado at some point, simply because the generation gap is more profound there. It's just that there aren't many ancestral Dem loyalists from the 60's and 70's left to challenge the other voters in the age range that always vote out of spite, so the suppression hits Dems hard there and let's the GOP hold on.

Indiana's Democratic Party is toast, but it's still interesting to talk to the old rural Dem holdouts. Hanging out with a crazy dude with a chest-length beard to commiserate over Trump flags and crack jokes about chuds pining after AOC is strangely cathartic.

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice
Any thoughts on stimmy pushing the repubs through the finish line?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Earth posted:

Any thoughts on stimmy pushing the repubs through the finish line?

i think that the people most likely to be swayed are the type that only really notice when the money is put in their pocket, which i don't think will have happened by early january. maybe the extension of the eviction moratorium will be noticed?

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
I WOULD RATHER INSERT A $20 LEGO SET'S WORTH OF PLASTIC BRICKS INTO MY URETHRA THAN STOP TALKING ABOUT BEING A SCALPER.
College Slice

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i think that the people most likely to be swayed are the type that only really notice when the money is put in their pocket, which i don't think will have happened by early january. maybe the extension of the eviction moratorium will be noticed?

I know Mitch put it through because all of the ads write themselves. "The republicans evicted you. Vote democrat to stay in your house!"

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
https://twitter.com/ossoff/status/1341395736710275074?s=20

Earth
Nov 6, 2009
College Slice
Uninspiring tweet. Tweeting without comment is lovely. Where's the couching that it's the republicans fault that the plebes only get $600?

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit

Earth posted:

Uninspiring tweet. Tweeting without comment is lovely. Where's the couching that it's the republicans fault that the plebes only get $600?

He probably knows that the electorate knows that neither party cares if they live or die and that both of them are run by out of touch Marie Antoinette* style psychopaths that have no idea what a single months rent costs in 2020. He'd just get called out for it if he tried to blame it on the GOP entirely. He's got no real choice but to make a week low-impact tweet without calling out anyone in particular.

*I know she probably never said the line and so does everyone else, nobody is impressed when it gets pointed out over and over again

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Good thing Ossoff supports Medicare for All, otherwise he'd sure look like an rear end in a top hat!

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
They're all assholes/fuckers.

Honestly best case scenario is we stem the tide of fascism for a few years.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/Nate_Cohn/status/1341774387301679110

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

https://mobile.twitter.com/Politics_Polls/status/1341913841920315392

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Winning the senate in 2020 means keeping it or expanding its lead in 2022, and passing good legislation during that time.

Not sure about 2024 though, but it is a Presidential year.

Not liking Perdue being ahead by 1, within MOE but still, if Warnock wins it hope he carries Ossoff over the finish line.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Given the margin of error is 4.4% looks like this race is going to stay too close to call down to the buzzer.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Given the margin of error is 4.4% looks like this race is going to stay too close to call down to the buzzer.

I mean, that's why it's a double runoff in the first place.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I did early voting tonight. Feels good to have that done.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

What happens in a potential 50/50 Senate Split? Does Mitch still lose power?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

TulliusCicero posted:

What happens in a potential 50/50 Senate Split? Does Mitch still lose power?

Yes. Because the VP is tie breaker.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yes. Because the VP is tie breaker.

That really depends on what shenanigan rules changes they can put in place for the 2 weeks that Pence is still VP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Bel Shazar posted:

That really depends on what shenanigan rules changes they can put in place for the 2 weeks that Pence is still VP.

It is in the constitution. There are no shenanigans or "one weird trick" they can do to make Mitch keep control of the chamber if its 50/50 with Harris as VP.