Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Binary Badger posted:

Leisure Suit Leonard

...and the Nebula of Nudity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Martok in a TOS uniform owns but he’s way too svelte for JG Hertzler.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Man they should have brought Martok along for Trials and Tribbleations.

Edit: Wait he hadn’t been brought back yet. drat it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
DS9's "Children of Time" is very effective, moreso than I remember it. I'm still not sure if it makes any sense, though. Time travel never does, so it's not a big deal. But the idea that they need to recreate the accident that stranded them on the planet seems questionable at best. Really I'm not sure you can justify any of it at all -- how are they both existing at the same time? Wouldn't they have just gone back in time and stayed there? It kinda would've made more sense the other way around, with the crew traveling to the future, even though that's very much been done before. But nonetheless, they do play it very well and make it easy to ignore how incomprehensible it is.

I remember feeling like Old Odo's actions were a problematic aspect of the episode, but I think it works. Firstly, they don't really portray it as romantic. He comes off romantic at first, but seems to get increasingly more desperate. Everyone seems disturbed at the end. And it's really not "our" Odo who did it. He's had 200 years to obsess over losing Kira, not to mention his other friends, and generations of solids coming and going while he remains there. And we know in hindsight that despite everything, he really did want to rejoin his people. But instead, in this timeline, he basically became a Founder. Which makes sense.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That character’s canonical name is Oldo

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Sir Lemming posted:

DS9's "Children of Time" is very effective, moreso than I remember it. I'm still not sure if it makes any sense, though. Time travel never does, so it's not a big deal. But the idea that they need to recreate the accident that stranded them on the planet seems questionable at best. Really I'm not sure you can justify any of it at all -- how are they both existing at the same time? Wouldn't they have just gone back in time and stayed there? It kinda would've made more sense the other way around, with the crew traveling to the future, even though that's very much been done before. But nonetheless, they do play it very well and make it easy to ignore how incomprehensible it is.

It works as well as any other Star Trek time travel for me. Before the time loop is disrupted at the end, it's as if the crew has just travelled into their own future. Makes more sense than, say, the Defiant still existing in the future after Quark and co. go back in time.

My only real issue with that episode is that I don't really buy the whole crew coming around to the idea of abandoning their lives and loved ones (and their responsibilities to Star Fleet/Bajor/the Prophets/etc) forever, for the sake of this really rather small community they just met, even if those people are their descendants.

However on my current rewatch I did clear up another issue I had with that episode. I was annoyed that the new Dax wasn't half Klingon and half Trill, and that none of the Klingons had Trill spots. But at the end of the sixth season when Jadzia is talking about having a baby with Worf, she has to undergo some kind of high-tech medical intervention to make it possible. If that wasn't doable with the tech they had on the planet, then Worf and Jadzia could have had other descendants through surrogacy or something, to ensure their genes got passed on and secure a new host for Dax.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Actually, despite not really reading Star Trek fanfic, I wonder if there are any good ones for the period after the "original" Children of Time crash. You could do some really interesting stuff with that.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The name "Founders" kind of evokes a pyramid scheme. That would be a fun take on the federation. Something a species like the Ferengi might do. You uplift a race and you get a cut of their profits, and you deliver a cut of your profits to the founders. Your civilization isn't doing so hot? Well this other civilization is doing great, you gotta work harder

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The name "Founders" kind of evokes a pyramid scheme. That would be a fun take on the federation. Something a species like the Ferengi might do. You uplift a race and you get a cut of their profits, and you deliver a cut of your profits to the founders. Your civilization isn't doing so hot? Well this other civilization is doing great, you gotta work harder

Someone accidentally leaves behind a set of Cutco knives on Sigma Iotia II and everything just goes to hell.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

This is a good concept

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Send out the warships, the Karen system just quit and we need to secure the worlds that were in their downline.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I seem to remember there was an episode of Voyager where some con artists pass themselves off as the Voyager crew and sell Federation memberships. Imagine that but as an actual civilisation.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

Send out the warships, the Karen system just quit and we need to secure the worlds that were in their downline.

Well maybe if that Jem'Hadar had let her speak to his Vorta none of that would have happened. :colbert:

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

rewatching DS9 all at once is kinda surreal in that you can see where they change their minds about certain characters right away as opposed to it just drifting on weekly viewing.

The biggest example of this is Rom who goes from plotting against his brother and good at nothing to incredibly loyal and a secret engineering genius

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

https://i.imgur.com/J1xbgcs.mp4 click 4 sound

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

ah, the most iconic of Klingon musical instruments, the acordian

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Nodosaur posted:

ah, the most iconic of Klingon musical instruments, the acordian

That's an organ.

If Worf were playing it there'd be two.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

r/startrekstabilized/

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I had to read and know this, now you do.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I hope she said "I know" like she did at the end of the clown episode

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
:quagmire: "Does this look like a Q to you?"

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Hello old friends (poo poo, wrong series)...

I'm trying to find a good upgrade for my old DVDs of the original Star Trek movies. I can live with just the original 6, though I wouldn't balk if the only option to me were to include the TNG films.

Like I suspect most of you have, I have the old two-disc DVD "Director's/Collector's Editions" of each film. I'm trying to find Blu Ray analogs without having to resort to buying each one individually. However, every set I find, like for example The Stardate Collection looks to be the theatrical cuts (though updated effects for the Xth time).

I know for sure on the DVDs that TMP and TWOK were called "director's editions" and while films like TUC were just called "Collector's Edition" they included new things (e.g. showing the faces of the conspirators at meld with Velaris).

Is there an option or do I just have to bite the bullet and get the individual blu rays?

CPColin posted:

I hope she said "I know" like she did at the end of the clown episode

As SFdebris once quipped, Janeway met fear itself, and it was fear that was afraid of her.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

JetsGuy posted:

Hello old friends (poo poo, wrong series)...

I'm trying to find a good upgrade for my old DVDs of the original Star Trek movies. I can live with just the original 6, though I wouldn't balk if the only option to me were to include the TNG films.

Like I suspect most of you have, I have the old two-disc DVD "Director's/Collector's Editions" of each film. I'm trying to find Blu Ray analogs without having to resort to buying each one individually. However, every set I find, like for example The Stardate Collection looks to be the theatrical cuts (though updated effects for the Xth time).

I know for sure on the DVDs that TMP and TWOK were called "director's editions" and while films like TUC were just called "Collector's Edition" they included new things (e.g. showing the faces of the conspirators at meld with Velaris).

Is there an option or do I just have to bite the bullet and get the individual blu rays?

As SFdebris once quipped, Janeway met fear itself, and it was fear that was afraid of her.

The only Star Trek film that has a Director's Edition on Blu-ray is Wrath of Khan, and that's an individually-sold disc.

The collections, as you said, include only theatrical cuts. Any non-TWOK disc sold individually also will just be the theatrical cut.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's called a dancer's belt.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's called a dancer's belt.

You think he could wrap it around his waist? That *is* a pretty big one

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Cross-Section posted:

The only Star Trek film that has a Director's Edition on Blu-ray is Wrath of Khan, and that's an individually-sold disc.

The collections, as you said, include only theatrical cuts. Any non-TWOK disc sold individually also will just be the theatrical cut.

drat. Interesting they didn't even put TMP's Directors Cut on blu ray.

Thanks for info!

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

JetsGuy posted:

drat. Interesting they didn't even put TMP's Directors Cut on blu ray.

Thanks for info!

The reworked effects were only rendered in SD, so it was easier for them to just take the theatrical master for the blu-ray release.

A 4k TMP Director's cut has been in the works for awhile now with the updated effects upgraded to 4k. No date yet, but it's coming.

The directors cut of TWOK was also done in 4k with an HDR grade but they have yet to release a physical copy of it (only releasing on normal blu-ray) which pisses me off so bad. That was 4 loving years ago, just release the drat disc.

My guess is that TMP and TWOK will get the special 4k restorations and then III, IV, V, and VI will get quick 4k scans with automated HDR grades and they'll release a 4k box set sometime in 2023.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Yeah I definitely feel like you might want to wait on blu-rays of the Trek movies at this point. The existing releases are pretty bare-bones and only passable transfers -- not bad by any means, but could be better. I wouldn't be at all surprised if something better comes along soon.

I know at least a few of them can be streamed on Amazon Prime, if you have it.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

bull3964 posted:

The reworked effects were only rendered in SD, so it was easier for them to just take the theatrical master for the blu-ray release.

A 4k TMP Director's cut has been in the works for awhile now with the updated effects upgraded to 4k. No date yet, but it's coming.

The directors cut of TWOK was also done in 4k with an HDR grade but they have yet to release a physical copy of it (only releasing on normal blu-ray) which pisses me off so bad. That was 4 loving years ago, just release the drat disc.

My guess is that TMP and TWOK will get the special 4k restorations and then III, IV, V, and VI will get quick 4k scans with automated HDR grades and they'll release a 4k box set sometime in 2023.

Sir Lemming posted:

Yeah I definitely feel like you might want to wait on blu-rays of the Trek movies at this point. The existing releases are pretty bare-bones and only passable transfers -- not bad by any means, but could be better. I wouldn't be at all surprised if something better comes along soon.

I know at least a few of them can be streamed on Amazon Prime, if you have it.

Yeah it does sound like it is worth just waiting a few more years on em. I have the DVDs and often enough the ones on Prime/Netflix/Hulu (when available) are serviceable (though almost always just the theatrical cut).

Just like how I'm waiting (probably forever) on a DS9 bluray. Which is probably forever doomed because Paramount didn't do well enough on their sales of TNG blu ray when they tried gouging fans like $150 a season or whatever it was they first tried. The box set now is reasonable (for the whole series).

Actually, that reminds me. The TOS series box set. I know it includes both the "original" and the "enhanced" versions. Which sounds to me like the right thing to do. However, I've also heard that it's not really the original. I have the old "egg" DVDs of TOS, which understandably were remastered and I am ok with that. But do they go to Lucas like ends to the audio or something? Basically how "original" is original?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The original versions of the TOS discs are original. It's just really jarring to watch because quality degrades REALLY badly when any SFX shot is involved that required optical compositing . You get a nice crisp well graded HD scan that's clean with lots of detail then it shifts to a 5th generation optical scan for a phaser blast or when the scene transitions to a transporter shot.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Just hit Darmok, never saw that one as a kid.

This is peak ST, what an episode.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Crossposting

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

My reaction to the reveal in this week’s episode:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Oh god I guess I need to watch the episode tonight then

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

It's bad, but there is a thing that happens that made me hoot and holler.

edit: don't go in the other thread where people are talking about it openly.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

It's bad, but there is a thing that happens that made me hoot and holler.

edit: don't go in the other thread where people are talking about it openly.
Yeah I usually don’t until I have watched the episode

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

There's a story in the female changeling having the same actor as the alien from the race that gave rise to all the others in the galaxy, and I wonder if anyone in the expanded universe stuff has ever capitalized on it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Nodosaur posted:

Literally anything in Star Trek, and I wonder if anyone in the expanded universe stuff has ever capitalized on it.

The answer is always yes.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Is there a novel that ties together all the Jeffery Combs characters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Brawnfire posted:

You think he could wrap it around his waist? That *is* a pretty big one
If he got a little bolder, he could wear it on his shoulder.