Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I have a google pixel 3a and it is very needs suiting and doesn't show ads in the core apps like phone, calendar, clock, etc. I had an iPhone 6S before (until I broke it) and the only things I miss are iMessage and my itunes library.

Google maps shows ads, youtube shows ads, but I kinda assume they show ads in the iPhone version too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I also used to have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and wow that was a POS in terms of ads and bloatware. City ID would ask you to pay for a subscription after every phone call. Samsung and AT&T branded apps alongside the google ones... multiple video apps and music apps...

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
remember when verizon released some android thing that shipped with the default search engine as bing

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol why would you use google maps when there's an ad-free one built in

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Google constantly produces hardware at the same price or a tiny bit cheaper than Apple with the hopes that people forget they aren’t Apple. Every time they fail to realize that their main products are free and nobody wants to pay premium pricing for a Google product.

they probably should have spun off "pixel" as an "independent" hardware brand instead of being "google pixel". it's pretty hard to brand anything "google" as "premium" because 1) "google" is synonymous with "free product" and 2) google's entire brand identity is playschool primary color plastic toy aesthetic

moving smart home products under the nest brand makes sense at least, but there's gotta be some marketing people in "regular" google steaming mad trying to get their brand onto products and not understanding why it's failing to move units

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

or just consistently stick with cheap colorful plastic while offering decent(ish) products. when they bought fitbit they should have just let their hardware team take over leadership on all google hardware.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
today I tried to use google assistant to set a reminder and it wouldn't do anything except shade the bottom half of the screen. it wasn't until I tapped the "show me other things assistant can do for you" button would it work.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

crepeface posted:

today I tried to use google assistant to set a reminder and it wouldn't do anything except shade the bottom half of the screen. it wasn't until I tapped the "show me other things assistant can do for you" button would it work.

android is catching up to ios

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
world class discoverability

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i spent the last three months trying to figure out why my phone suddenly wasn't able to handle sms group texts any more, eventually concluding that it must be that everyone else in the group was using some sort of imessage feature my phone didn't support, so i gave up

got sick of it finally and dug even more and turns out no, google updated their messages app and deleted the option to switch between sms and mms and it's locked on sms for some reason. i got a different texting app where this option exists and it works perfectly again. there are a bunch of posts about this problem with the google app and of course the helpful google product forums people's only response is "please try clearing the cache"

it's astonishing how loving bad google is at literally everything

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
what's astonishing is that you're using an android phone despite very clearly knowing better

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

lmao

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

it's conundrum that there's apparently some huge demand for "smart" home things but nobody can make a sustainable business out of it except for like philips and crestron [amazon doesn't count since it's a heavily subsidized part of their business]

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i like that the comments on that article are all either cracking jokes about google killing products like blown roses or commiserating over moving all their services off of google platforms because they've just now, in tyool 2020, figured out that you can't trust google to keep anything running

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

qirex posted:

it's conundrum that there's apparently some huge demand for "smart" home things but nobody can make a sustainable business out of it except for like philips and crestron [amazon doesn't count since it's a heavily subsidized part of their business]

it's because nobody has made them super easy to use yet. philips is successful because it mostly just works, and it's not some one app trying to run your whole house: it's an app for lights, so it's easy to grok

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
there isnt any actual demand for iot stuff. its all dads buying poo poo they see on the news and then getting bored with it a few days after it arrives. its great for a bunch of initial purchases, but terrible for customer retention.

there are only a handful of dedicated nerds who want to try to make it work and they're not enough to sustain a business

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there is crestron/control4 stuff for rich folks which is a good business because installers pay full MSRP but it's not super high volume

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
yeah but they've been doing that since before the internet

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

mediaphage posted:

it's because nobody has made them super easy to use yet. philips is successful because it mostly just works, and it's not some one app trying to run your whole house: it's an app for lights, so it's easy to grok

the amazon home assistant thing also works pretty well with it. "alexa, turn the master bedroom lights on" is pretty handy.

everything else has been trash

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Shaggar posted:

there isnt any actual demand for iot stuff. its all dads buying poo poo they see on the news and then getting bored with it a few days after it arrives. its great for a bunch of initial purchases, but terrible for customer retention.

there are only a handful of dedicated nerds who want to try to make it work and they're not enough to sustain a business

eh, depends on the thing, i think. the hue stuff is popular. wireless outlets are pretty popular. i'm not sure what else i'd say is actually popular. smart doorbells like ring, maybe? smart speakers, i guess.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
by now Google has burned every hardware partner that has worked with them. I have no idea why anyone would trust them in the future

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shaggar posted:

swr

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

some goalpost-moving to it too, the ikea stuff probably makes money just fine, but as it amounts to being able to configure the blinds and lights to respond to the same button i don't think most people count it as very smart.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

The Management posted:

by now Google has burned every hardware partner that has worked with them. I have no idea why anyone would trust them in the future

because apple doesn’t want to work with them and amazon will actively harm their business instead of getting bored and wandering away like google

the alternative is building their own and that’s worse

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

The Management posted:

it's pretty funny hearing how some big company has partnered with goog to do something or other and getting to be 100% confident that whatever idiot product they make will be dead and buried within two years at best and likely sooner

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mediaphage posted:

eh, depends on the thing, i think. the hue stuff is popular. wireless outlets are pretty popular. i'm not sure what else i'd say is actually popular. smart doorbells like ring, maybe? smart speakers, i guess.

i wanted a normal wired motion sensor for some outdoor lights and noticed all the midrange philips bulbs are sold out so theyre probably gifted quite a bit to people. id also guess they recommend them a lot as an alexa accessory to push integration

im sure the really terrible knockoff bulbs are sold out too. you can tell the cutoff in cost vs. adoption because the full range color bulbs are in stock everywhere

realistically, half the use for them are what a motion sensor or dimmer switch, normal bulbs, and some wiring would do 3 decades ago, so im guessing the convenience is probably the motivator

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

i wanted a normal wired motion sensor for some outdoor lights and noticed all the midrange philips bulbs are sold out so theyre probably gifted quite a bit to people. id also guess they recommend them a lot as an alexa accessory to push integration

im sure the really terrible knockoff bulbs are sold out too. you can tell the cutoff in cost vs. adoption because the full range color bulbs are in stock everywhere

realistically, half the use for them are what a motion sensor or dimmer switch, normal bulbs, and some wiring would do 3 decades ago, so im guessing the convenience is probably the motivator

probably although i don’t see the problem with that. they’re also a great option for renters.

i like them mostly for the colour tuning, gently caress cool lights at night. oranges and reds baybee

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mediaphage posted:

probably although i don’t see the problem with that. they’re also a great option for renters.

i like them mostly for the colour tuning, gently caress cool lights at night. oranges and reds baybee

oh im right there with you, which is why i was checking them. im a big fan of warm evening lighting and crisp daylight at the appropriate hours, especially after having cfl bulbs

philips has nailed the market so well, its almost unfair. the only thing I'd like to see is a push for brighter light ranges, but otherwise they seem like the most capable smart lighting maker

to keep it google, i tried to see if they ever made an attempt at smart lighting but, somehow, no? its a bit unbelievable they didnt try to buy and run into ruin a lighting company

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

oh im right there with you, which is why i was checking them. im a big fan of warm evening lighting and crisp daylight at the appropriate hours, especially after having cfl bulbs

philips has nailed the market so well, its almost unfair. the only thing I'd like to see is a push for brighter light ranges, but otherwise they seem like the most capable smart lighting maker

to keep it google, i tried to see if they ever made an attempt at smart lighting but, somehow, no? its a bit unbelievable they didnt try to buy and run into ruin a lighting company

yea i agree, it seems like right up the nest division's alley?

it seems like the only thing that is a true nest product update vs a rebadge are the doorbell and security camera(s)?

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/thetorpedodog/status/1340944840310329344

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

wiki posted:

android-based trash
redundant

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

mediaphage posted:

yea i agree, it seems like right up the nest division's alley?

it seems like the only thing that is a true nest product update vs a rebadge are the doorbell and security camera(s)?

i thought nest was dead as a brand already

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

ahhahhhahahhhah lol

Apr 7, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

some goalpost-moving to it too, the ikea stuff probably makes money just fine, but as it amounts to being able to configure the blinds and lights to respond to the same button i don't think most people count it as very smart.

I have the Sonos ikea speakers and they're pretty nice

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lm ao

tbf, they've got a valuable market there. people with considerably more money than sense who clearly make poor purchasing decisions

Apr 7, 2003

The only excuse for that poo poo back in the day is that the phones were cheaper than iPhones. Fourteen hundred smackaroos to stare at ads while you pay for the bandwidth to serve them to you. What the gently caress lol

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The only excuse for that poo poo back in the day is that the phones were cheaper than iPhones. Fourteen hundred smackaroos to stare at ads while you pay for the bandwidth to serve them to you. What the gently caress lol

Anroid.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

my wife uses google fi and when she texts me video mms's they come through the size of a postage stamp and you can't tell what the hell is going on. I assume this is something google is doing because it saves them a fraction of a penny

Apr 7, 2003

I've got a group chat with my brothers and the android users do the same thing, so it's across the board.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lol trash phone os