Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Heavy Metal posted:

Much thanks for all the recommendations! I've seen a few, a few to bump up the list, and a bunch to add to the mix.

Cool, I see it said that there are two movies and OVA #8 set after the TV show. Movie 2 being from 96 and maybe not everybody's fav. Just wondering which part is the ending you like, since sometimes they continue on after an ending people liked etc.

I never watched the 96 movie because people said it was bad, also it changed all the character designs and they're way more boring. OVA #8 makes a lot of thematic sense to be after the last episode but before the movie. Here's the viewing order for the ovas I used:

White Lovers - among the episodes 35 and 45
Hawai Suspence - among the episodes 17 and 25
I was a cat, I was a fish - among the episodes 17 and 30
Hurricane Akane, the shape-shifting girl - among the episodes 20 and 25
Spring is for Idols - among the episodes 23 and 30
Birth of a Star - Right after "Spring is for Idols"
Unexpected Situation - after the OAV of Akane
Message in Rouge - after the episode 48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sounds good, thanks.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Is moribito good?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I remember liking it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

ninjewtsu posted:

Is moribito good?

I enjoyed it

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

it's very good, one of my favs. doesn't have much action though if that's what you're looking for, more of a slow and atmospheric series

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Tales of Woe posted:

it's very good, one of my favs. doesn't have much action though if that's what you're looking for, more of a slow and atmospheric series

Ah yeah, the pacing and everything is slow. Not in a bad way, but it's a pretty chill show lots of times. Kind of like Mushi Shi but with more action and a more constant linear plot.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

What are the best historical shonen series? Rurouni Kenshin and Golden Kamui are what I know of off the top of my head

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i mean you already listed Golden Kamuy, but Vinland Saga is up there too

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Kentou Ankokuden Cestvs is about roman slave boxing, there's some weird sex stuff at the beginning and then it all goes away and is never mentioned ever again and I would even say the manga becomes improbably chaste for a battle seinen after that

Elio the Fugitive is a swashbuckling adventure set during the War of the Castilian Succession

Less historical manga and more manga about history, Mitsuteru Yokoyama's Genghis Khan is excellent and historically accurate

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

icantfindaname posted:

What are the best historical shonen series? Rurouni Kenshin and Golden Kamui are what I know of off the top of my head

Rainbow is a terrific one. Well, seinen probably, but it has boxing and a lot of that burning heroic manly bond stuff. Really good.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Oh yeah, Red: Living on the Edge by Kenichi Muraeda is a Western manga about a native american tracking down the soldiers that slaughtered his tribe

bobomb
Jul 22, 2005

Undisputed
Moe Master
Got caught up on Chihayafuru since I only saw the first season which feels like a very long time ago
I tried to rewatch Katanagatari but couldn't find it anywhere online legally, what a shame. I rewatched samurai champloo. Got caught up on monogatari. I tried the new season of GITS:SAC on netflix and I just...cant because of the animation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bobomb posted:

Got caught up on Chihayafuru since I only saw the first season which feels like a very long time ago
I tried to rewatch Katanagatari but couldn't find it anywhere online legally, what a shame. I rewatched samurai champloo. Got caught up on monogatari. I tried the new season of GITS:SAC on netflix and I just...cant because of the animation.

Give it to the end of the first arc, the new GitS show massively improved after the USA arc.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Which GITS is this? There's a ton of diff ones now and I can't tell what's OVA or movie or new series sometimes

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

That Works posted:

Which GITS is this? There's a ton of diff ones now and I can't tell what's OVA or movie or new series sometimes

They mean Ghost in the Shell:SAC_2045

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Is there any ridiculous shonen anime... dealing with construction work? Like I'm thinking Yakitate Japan but for Japan Break Industries or something. I want to see secret ancestral joinery techniques performed at super speed.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Dareon posted:

Is there any ridiculous shonen anime... dealing with construction work? Like I'm thinking Yakitate Japan but for Japan Break Industries or something. I want to see secret ancestral joinery techniques performed at super speed.

There's a comedy video game for the psx (i think) with this exact premise, though it was afaik never translated and I'm afraid I can't remember what it was called. sorry.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Droyer posted:

There's a comedy video game for the psx (i think) with this exact premise, though it was afaik never translated and I'm afraid I can't remember what it was called. sorry.

this existed

there's also

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the closest i have for anime is Shinkalion, where one of the main protagonist trio is the son in a family-owned construction company and thus obsessed with construction.

might be worth keeping an eye on Build King as well since it's a construction-themed shonen manga, though with only a few chapters out so far it's hard to tell how much focus there might be on techniques compared to the more standard battle parts.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dareon posted:

does mecha where the robots are construction vehicles count

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

does mecha where the robots are construction vehicles count

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Is Legend of Galactic Heroes better to watch or read?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Len posted:

The classic OVA is an extremely faithful adaptation, so I felt like watching and reading were very similar experiences. Choose the medium that is more convenient to you.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Len posted:

Logh is a great watch. The books are very good too, if you like historical narratives (which I love). The ova does a very good job adapting the material, the gaiden series less so (mostly because it’s disconnected from the main narrative and the animation is much cheaper).

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I've tried watching it a few times, I've liked it but I think I only made it into the mid-20s. Watching a long form series in subtitles is rough for me anymore so the book seemed easier

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Len posted:

I've tried watching it a few times, I've liked it but I think I only made it into the mid-20s. Watching a long form series in subtitles is rough for me anymore so the book seemed easier

Watch the ongoing remake of it then (LoGH: Die Neue These). Same story (from what I understand at least), with modern animation and an english dub. It's up to around 24 episodes now and readily available on streaming sites.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Len posted:

Not sure how reading a book is easier than reading subtitles but if that's the case go for it. I really loved the first book.

If you're anything like me and cant sit down and just read a book anymore, the audio book narrator was very good.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The first three books are on audible.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

DamnGlitch posted:

Not sure how reading a book is easier than reading subtitles but if that's the case go for it. I really loved the first book.

You're trying to divide your focus between reading text at the bottom of the screen and not miss anything happening in the rest of the screen at the same time. With a dub you can just sit back and watch the show. (Not to infer one is better than the other of course, just subjective experience)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're trying to divide your focus between reading text at the bottom of the screen and not miss anything happening in the rest of the screen at the same time. With a dub you can just sit back and watch the show. (Not to infer one is better than the other of course, just subjective experience)

That and my attention span just isn't good anymore. A dub I at least can look away from the tv and still hear what's happening. It's a personal failing that may or may not be an actual problem that I'm working on getting diagnosed.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Watch the ongoing remake of it then (LoGH: Die Neue These). Same story (from what I understand at least), with modern animation and an english dub. It's up to around 24 episodes now and readily available on streaming sites.

i feel like i've heard that this isn't as strong as the original. is that just nostalgia purist stuff?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

ninjewtsu posted:

i feel like i've heard that this isn't as strong as the original. is that just nostalgia purist stuff?

It's much more pared down. Lots of side characters basically don't exist anymore, or have far less screen time.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Most of the show is people sitting around talking. So relatively subtle facial animation and body language play a large role, and those just aren't as well done in the new show.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
feel like logh is the kind of thing where if you're into it then mildly janky old animation probably isn't going to be a deal breaker for you

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

The Colonel posted:

feel like logh is the kind of thing where if you're into it then mildly janky old animation probably isn't going to be a deal breaker for you

This. Also the pacing is slow but in a good way as there are lots of characters and nuance.

If watching it seems like a drag but you like the general aesthetic then the new series reboot might click better.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
The new series looks cleaner and it's worse for that reason.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Chas McGill posted:

The new series looks cleaner and it's worse for that reason.
I dislike that Yang looks more "sharp" in the new art style. He was always sort of permanently rumpled and bed-head in the original, which was very charming (kind of a Columbo vibe, now that I think of it?)

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Looking for weird round 2:

This time Im looking for stuff considered by and large to be pointless, trashy or overproduced that you normally wouldnt recommend but secretly loved or enjoyed anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Looking for weird round 2:

This time Im looking for stuff considered by and large to be pointless, trashy or overproduced that you normally wouldnt recommend but secretly loved or enjoyed anyway.

Maybe Assault Lily Bouquet?