Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

grassy gnoll posted:

Buy a Mobile Haro regardless of who you are. It's a triumph of robot aesthetics, and a solid kit to boot.

It really is! And if you're feeling kinky, it's got a lot of things you could potentially detail with paint, or markers. But "even out of the box" it's good. And stable. And has good color separation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Nerobro posted:

HaroPla turns out to be... a blast if you have kids around. And at $7-14 a model... it's a great way to introduce people. My kiddos are (5 and 7) are able to go from zero to "complete haro" in about 20 minutes. And theyr'e excellent to acutally play with.

Don't buy the HaroLoader. Do buy the MobileHaro. :-) This is my review of HeroPla.

What's wrong with the HaroLoader?

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

The UK store I support/help out at event got something like 100 MobileHaros in on release, and were sold out within a couple of months.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

wdarkk posted:

What's wrong with the HaroLoader?

It just sucks really bad, the arms barely stay in the torso and the claw gimmick doesn’t really work. It was my first large haropla kit and I was really disappointed.

The fitter is pretty good, though.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

It just sucks really bad, the arms barely stay in the torso and the claw gimmick doesn’t really work. It was my first large haropla kit and I was really disappointed.

The fitter is pretty good, though.

Well...

The orange plastic is styrene, and not "good" plastic. Most of the joints are slip fit between abs and styrene. It won't last. Heck, the joint between my lower torso and the upper torso is already uselessly lose. The arms can't hold anything. The claws.. as noted, don't work. they barely go anywhere useful. The hinges on the legs are nonsense, and if you put any load on it, the legs pop out of the lower torso.

It's not bandai quality. Like.. at all.

The haro though? is 2nd gen, and has the keyboard and display and such.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
That’s too bad, was hoping to pick up both sometime but if the fitter is ok I can just grab that.

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
I just finished snapping together the MG Gundam 3.0 (go ahead and roast me on my photography chops, since I did it to Ibblebibble earlier).

Tomorrow I start taking it completely apart again for painting. I already got replacement decals from Samueldecal, but is there anywhere I can get replacement parts for these goofy yaoi hands?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Null of Undefined posted:

I just finished snapping together the MG Gundam 3.0 (go ahead and roast me on my photography chops, since I did it to Ibblebibble earlier).

Tomorrow I start taking it completely apart again for painting. I already got replacement decals from Samueldecal, but is there anywhere I can get replacement parts for these goofy yaoi hands?

Yeah I hate those awful hands too. Bandai does do a generic 1/100 fixed pose hand set though if you can find it.

https://www.hlj.com/1-100-scale-builders-parts-hand-01-efsf-ban976502

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

RillAkBea posted:

Yeah I hate those awful hands too. Bandai does do a generic 1/100 fixed pose hand set though if you can find it.

https://www.hlj.com/1-100-scale-builders-parts-hand-01-efsf-ban976502

I got this set for the exact same reason and they’re about the same size as the 3.0 hands unfortunately. I know they have the 1/144 replacement hands in a few different sizes so I would have assumed they would do the same in 1/100 scale but it doesn't seem to the case.

They'll end up looking better than the 3.0 hands since they'll be easier to clean up. You might need to modify them or the weapons to get them to grip firmly though.

I decided it was too much effort and just stuck with the gorilla hands.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What is the best not pg 78

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Miss Broccoli posted:

The Origin kits are generally considered the best, both for HG and MG. Good articulation, plenty of weapons, nice look.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
When I was way younger I used to horribly build the old hasbro Zoids kids (How horribly? I didn't have any nippers, So I just forced the parts off the sprues with force!) But since a friend offered to sponsor the first kit anyone on our server built to $50 AUD, I picked up a HG RX-78-02 Gundam The Origin kit. Beyond some issues in my construction (I.E. Putting in polycaps wrong and having to disassemble assembled parts) I'm generally pretty happy with it...

Except for the hands, the shoulder cannon, the shield, and the V-fin. Now I'm already a gigantic handed person so it's awful to manipulate small parts, but the hands refuse to stay clipped on the back. I've already lost the back for one of the shooting hands I need to go and scour the carpet for, but that's small beans to

1. The Shoulder Cannon being extremely loose and just horrible to sit in the backpack.
2. The Shield constantly coming off its rail.
3. The head jewel of the V-Fin richochetting off from the slightest touch.

I was told some rubber cement would solve the last issue, and given I had to retrieve the Head Jewel oh... 5 times in the span of trying to pose the kit, yeah, very much so going to just weld that poo poo into place. So, what rubber cement or glue alternative I guess is good for use on parts like that?

Also here are some horrible horrible phone camera pictures on my terrible desk and shelf with a model I'm rear end at posing.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Miss Broccoli posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKIxbAAyruo

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

So Schizophonic9 has got their review of the new PG RX-78 up. what a great looking kit, if you like the overly complicated and detailed look of it (I think its amazing, but I can get that will be far too detailed for some people).

http://schizophonic9.com/re7/pg_gundam1.html

One of the bits I found interesting was the change of the core fighters size. And the LED's in the beam sabers is great, I got some of the koto saber kits ages ago when I was in japan, so having something in PG size is great.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Wibbleman posted:

So Schizophonic9 has got their review of the new PG RX-78 up. what a great looking kit, if you like the overly complicated and detailed look of it (I think its amazing, but I can get that will be far too detailed for some people).

One of the bits I found interesting was the change of the core fighters size. And the LED's in the beam sabers is great, I got some of the koto saber kits ages ago when I was in japan, so having something in PG size is great.

the amount of detail on that kit is crazy

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
The state of my current build. Test fit is done, everything is sanded, and general color scheme is chosen. Hopefully one of these weeks I'll have the time and energy to start spraying....

Edit: fail at linking pic. Until I fix it, link inline

Edit2: That worked for le moment

Suzaku fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 20, 2020

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Man I love the polypod ball!

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Puddin posted:

Man I love the polypod ball!

Me too! The only part that I don't like is the arms. They've got some annoying mold lines on the cylinders that made me have to rescribe some panel lines...less than well. And there are also a couple parts there with seam lines that I can't really get rid of because I need to paint the parts before sticking those together. Other than that, it's a great kit, and the legs are awesome.

Oh, and the rubber pieces. I HATE rubber pieces.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wibbleman posted:

Well, that's my jam right there. What a nice Grandpa!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
took pics of the G40 RX-78

https://twitter.com/kuvosa/status/1340842945008713729

https://twitter.com/kuvosa/status/1340843004760735744

love how the metallic paints turned out but i'm sad it's already chipping in places even with the topcoat. the kit is super flexible and easy to pose, though i do with they segmented the waist armor instead of making it all one piece.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So beyond being a massive Feddie head, I'm also trying to build an 'Amuro' collection and grab every suit he piloted (The Nu, Dijeh, Re-GZ), is implied in the lore to have piloted (The Zeta Plus), was intended to pilot (the Pixy and Alex) or in alternate timelines piloted (I will eventually have to build a Re-GZ Custom... I have long since made peace with this)

That said, I'm Australian, so Gunpla is EXPENSIVE, thankfully, I was able to grab a bunch of kits this christmas as gifts from other.

The RG Nu Gundam - Beyond being basically told "this is the best kit ever" I was obviously going to have to get a Nu eventually, and I like to keep everything in the same scale (for as long as I can while still maintaining quality) so getting a 1/144 Nu with great everything seemed good to me
The HGUC Dijeh - I've never loved the Dijeh TBH, Once you get over the gimmick of "It's Amuro, in a kinda-gelgoog" it's never really been aesthetically pleasing, but I am a Feddie head. Still, it seemed like a good kit.
The HG Red Comet Custom Zaku II - I mean my kits need something to beat up on, I might as well get a good Zaku kit.
The HGUC GM Striker - The review I saw showed me that the kit was surprisingly flexible for such an old kit, also I just dig the different kinds of GMs
The HGUC Jesta Cannon - I hate Unicorn, I hate Narrative, but gently caress if it doesn't have just some of the sexiest designs, and the Jesta is just a beautiful grunt suit. In the end I went with the one that had more dakka.
The HGAC Heavyarms - I heard good things and also it's got a lot of guns. That's my reasoning.

I also picked up the Tertium Arms (by accident TBH), and I figure I can use it to 'mod' some of my other kits with it at the least.

Right now I'm looking to pick up

Blue Destiny 3 and 1 Exam,
Guncannon Revive
Re-GZ
GM III
Silver Bullet Suppresor
Stark Jegan
Byarlant Custom
Delta Plus Test Colours (Amuro Type)
Gustav Karl

I really wish the Re-Zel wasn't terrible, because I also dig it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Onmi posted:

So beyond being a massive Feddie head, I'm also trying to build an 'Amuro' collection and grab every suit he piloted (The Nu, Dijeh, Re-GZ), is implied in the lore to have piloted (The Zeta Plus), was intended to pilot (the Pixy and Alex) or in alternate timelines piloted (I will eventually have to build a Re-GZ Custom... I have long since made peace with this)

That said, I'm Australian, so Gunpla is EXPENSIVE, thankfully, I was able to grab a bunch of kits this christmas as gifts from other.

The RG Nu Gundam - Beyond being basically told "this is the best kit ever" I was obviously going to have to get a Nu eventually, and I like to keep everything in the same scale (for as long as I can while still maintaining quality) so getting a 1/144 Nu with great everything seemed good to me
The HGUC Dijeh - I've never loved the Dijeh TBH, Once you get over the gimmick of "It's Amuro, in a kinda-gelgoog" it's never really been aesthetically pleasing, but I am a Feddie head. Still, it seemed like a good kit.
The HG Red Comet Custom Zaku II - I mean my kits need something to beat up on, I might as well get a good Zaku kit.
The HGUC GM Striker - The review I saw showed me that the kit was surprisingly flexible for such an old kit, also I just dig the different kinds of GMs
The HGUC Jesta Cannon - I hate Unicorn, I hate Narrative, but gently caress if it doesn't have just some of the sexiest designs, and the Jesta is just a beautiful grunt suit. In the end I went with the one that had more dakka.
The HGAC Heavyarms - I heard good things and also it's got a lot of guns. That's my reasoning.

I also picked up the Tertium Arms (by accident TBH), and I figure I can use it to 'mod' some of my other kits with it at the least.

Right now I'm looking to pick up

Blue Destiny 3 and 1 Exam,
Guncannon Revive
Re-GZ
GM III
Silver Bullet Suppresor
Stark Jegan
Byarlant Custom
Delta Plus Test Colours (Amuro Type)
Gustav Karl

I really wish the Re-Zel wasn't terrible, because I also dig it.

If you're a fan of "More Dakka" Gundams, get a HGBF Leopard Da Vinci if you can find one. Big Gatling guns, lots of missiles, and while the canon design says it only uses one gatling gun and rocket pod, it comes with a second copy of all its mountable bits and pieces including a second Gatling gun.

Also I got around to building my Iron Blood Barbatos Lupus Rex and it is gorgeous :magical:

Look at the size of this loving mace :eyepop:

The only bad thing about the HG Lupus Rex is the base mount for the cable seems to just sit in the slot with no way of locking it in securely that I can discern.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Got my PGU RX-78-2 today. Going to be cracking away at it in the evenings after work.

Something neat is that the runners are notated with icons saying what part of the MS they're used on.

Also, polycaps. This surprised me, wasn't expecting any on this kit. Mostly used in the waist it seems

An example of the photoetch stickers and how they seem to get immediately covered up.

A completed leg.

Annoyingly part of the waist didn't go together properly and I couldn't get them apart to try again. Not too bad thankfully, hopefully it won't interfere with the armour when I put it on, not sure there is any that goes over that part.

And where I've left it for tonight.

And the expended runners after tonight's build.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Wow that's some good runner allocation if you can actually junk that much from just the leg bones.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
How fun is the build so far? I thought I heard that it uses a premolded skeleton like the early RGs which I am not a fan of. It does look real nice and very tempting.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Unlucky7 posted:

How fun is the build so far? I thought I heard that it uses a premolded skeleton like the early RGs which I am not a fan of. It does look real nice and very tempting.

It's a different system to the advance joints in the RG line.

Build looks really good so far and has made me want one even more.

The PG Exia was like that as well, I don't think there was a piece left on any of the 75000 runners in the kit.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Aw screw it. Put in a pre order on my local Gunpla shop

Plastic robots rule everything around me

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Unlucky7 posted:

It does have those, but it's more of the very base of the arms and legs. There is one of the pre-molded pieces inside each of those legs but you put so much stuff on them all it really means is that the joints are pre-built.

The first leg took me about an hour, but then I'm not the fastest builder.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 23, 2020

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I am dealing with the natural result of being a compulsive idiot.

So, I want the Blue Destiny 3 Exam, really dig Blue Destiny and the designs of the MS, but can't find it anywhere, Australia's pretty dirthed for Gunpla right now without getting royally hosed. Case in point, I did find the Blue Destiny 3 Exam for $31.90 (AUD) at a shop with $9.90 shipping, so Basically, $42. Now... for an aussie kit, that's actually kinda decent, I spent $54 on my R-x78-02 The Origin so yeah, $42 is still decent, but... my brains broke, so I'm like "$10 shipping, but they offer free shipping for orders $150 or over"

The natural response of spending $150 to save $10, but, follow my brain logic here. If I order like 4 kits, that's $40 I'm technically saving, which is basically a free kit! But I haven't brought it yet. Is it because I came to my senses and didn't make a financially stupid decision? No, of course not, it's because I can't wrangle $150 worth of kits I really want.

So for the sake of math I'll round these up to be easier, but they're more like x.90

HG Re:Rising Gundam - $168
HG Raphael - $46
HG Throne Eins - $37
HG Age II Magnum - $40
Getter Dragon Infinitum - $105
HG Ramba Ral Bugu - $39
HG Zaku II Type C - $40
HG Gogg - $20
HG Gelgoog Jaeger - $28
HG Dom/Rick Dom - $39
HG Nemo (Unicorn Colours) - $34
HG Baqto - $27
HG Death Army - $28
Grendizer Black Version - $105
HG Gustav Karl (Unicorn) - $54
HG type 89 Base Jabber - $25
HG Gadessa - $105
HG GM Intercept Custom - $38
HG Impulse Gundam Arc - $40
HG Impulse Gundam Lancer - $40
HG Galbaldy Beta - $30
HG Gundam Zabanya - $40
HG Super Gundam (1.0) - $38
HG Catsith - $32
HG Blue Destiny 3 1.0 - $29

I've left off kits I already have, or will be getting one to make it irrelevant. No point in grabbing the HG Nu Gundam Metallic Coating when I have the RG Nu coming. But yeah I just... dunno what to do. Besides obviously "Just wait until it's stocked elsewhere dingus you don't need your plastic crack now."

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Onmi posted:

So, I want the Blue Destiny 3 Exam

How soon do you think you're gonna build it? If it's going into your backlog then just backorder it from HLJ and forget about it until it hits your private warehouse. Should cost you about $30AUD total shipped.

Otherwise, if you need(want) it now and you're shopping for gunpla as an Australian then shipping costs are your reality. Pay the extra $10. We're talking about less than the cost of a value meal here.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Bill Posters posted:

How soon do you think you're gonna build it? If it's going into your backlog then just backorder it from HLJ and forget about it until it hits your private warehouse. Should cost you about $30AUD total shipped.

Otherwise, if you need(want) it now and you're shopping for gunpla as an Australian then shipping costs are your reality. Pay the extra $10. We're talking about less than the cost of a value meal here.

What?

Using a similarly priced, in-stock kit as a substitute (since it's on backlog on HLJ)

Shipping is minimum $20 on a single item. With tax as $1.84. Altogether it's $42.89 or basically the same price, but I'm also waiting forever for it to arrive. Unless I gravely misunderstand how HLJ's private warehouse works it's not gonna be any cheaper, I'll just be paying it later.

If the price was the concern I'd just use layaway. The issue is my dumb brain doesn't want to pay $10 extra on top of $32 and is instead more willing to pay $150 for kits because "But that saves money overall because I don't have to pay the shipping on orders $150 or more. So if I brought the GM Intercept, Zaku II Type C, and I dunno the Zabanya? I'm basically saving $40 which is basically just a free Zabanya!" Compounded by "But outside of the Exam I don't really care for any of these mecha"

I'm the dumbest human being in existence basically and having the "I brought a tonne of yogurt because it was on sale. I don't know why in retrospect I don't eat yogurt" brain thing happen.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Onmi posted:

What?

Using a similarly priced, in-stock kit as a substitute (since it's on backlog on HLJ)

Shipping is minimum $20 on a single item. With tax as $1.84. Altogether it's $42.89 or basically the same price, but I'm also waiting forever for it to arrive. Unless I gravely misunderstand how HLJ's private warehouse works it's not gonna be any cheaper, I'll just be paying it later.

That's correct. The Private Warehouse is just a way to hold orders for up to six weeks before you HAVE to get it shipped to you. The point of it is so if you have several items releasing over a period you can just hold them until some/all are available and ship them together at once to save money in bulk.

Zarikov
Jun 20, 2004

Metal Gear? Metal Gear? Metal Gear!
Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone have a good hookup for spare polycap pieces? I would have thought these would be easy to find but I'm having little luck. Maybe I'm not using the right search terms?

I've been playing around making bandai gunpla compatible parts with my 3d printer, and using some spare polycaps for the joints. Unfortunately, I don't have near enough of them to build a whole model from scratch.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Zarikov posted:

Does anyone have a good hookup for spare polycap pieces? I would have thought these would be easy to find but I'm having little luck. Maybe I'm not using the right search terms?

I've been playing around making bandai gunpla compatible parts with my 3d printer, and using some spare polycaps for the joints. Unfortunately, I don't have near enough of them to build a whole model from scratch.

Wave do polycaps and ball joints.

https://www.hlj.com/search/?q=Polycap&productFilter=manufacturer%3AWave

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

How good are Action Base 4's for 1/144 kits? The 5's are sold out almost everywhere.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I dove into Master Grades a few weeks back.

I ordered a Zaku II, and a GP01. The Zaku II is a fairly recent MG. And it was a lovely build. It's neat, fun to mess around with, has lots of range of motion... I like it.

Well.. last night I built the GP01. It's.. from... 1997. 23 years old.

So, depsite it being a cheap MG kit. Don't.. buy.. it. Let me count the ways. First, is lots of the model is injected from thin, and not rich with pigment, styrene. So they're almost translucent. I'm not sure it's the age of the tooling, but these parts had more flash than I've seen on any Bandai kit. The color separation is.. hilariously bad. There's no yellow plastic, at all. There's a moderate amount of stickers, but even that misses out on a lot of color correctness. The shoulders have no connection between the arms and the shoulder armor. The hands don't hold anything well. The shield has.. no articulation. All the gates are conventional, and no attempt was made at hiding them. There's no undergating, or clever gating to make things hidden.

This really, is just a big High Grade kit.

What's nice? Well it's got the fighter unit. It comes with three sets of hands. And as long as you're not doing anything with it? it looks pretty good.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The gp01 always seems to get hosed over by being released at the start of a new line, so there's still haven't worked out all the kinks yet. Happened with the hg, mg and rg lines. But they never, ever get a revised kit.

The only definite "good" version of the gp01 is the pg.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Zarikov posted:

Build more kits so you have spares. :shepface:

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Day 2 of my PGU build, didn't do as much tonight as I have some other stuff I want to do.

What you make of the chest before moving onto the Core Block. Fair bit of light piping in the chest.

The Core Block. Have a little targeting visor you can pull down over Amuro's face.
Thankfully it's really easy to get the figure out without disassembly since I want to paint the figures later.

Torso and Core Block attached

The backpack has a ton of light piping so the fancy light-up beam sabre can light up the fancy metal Verniers

And with the backpack attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

Onmi posted:

What?

Eh.. It's possible shipping costs have gone up somewhat since Covid. A typical HG used to be closer to $10 shipping to Aus.

Still, my second paragraph still holds. Consider postage part of the cost. Finding a kit you want in stock locally will usually be the exception rather than the norm.