Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

They're decoys from D Day.

Well that's a lovely snipe have funny? pics

And here's sad Dizi after her spay:

Cocaine Bear has a new favorite as of 16:53 on Dec 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Probably finding this funnier than it is

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

BiggerBoat posted:

Sooo...decoys I assume? I can see it as a deterrent but I can also see it as a good way to paint a big target on your location and draw an attack.

These were actually used and specifically a use was by allied forces before the Normandy invasion to confuse and feed misinformation to the Germans about where the invasion would occur.

They were placed on the eastern coast of England to feign an attack coming towards Calais and Dunkerque, a logical area to invade due to the shortness of travel in the channel.

It uh, worked. Well.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Probably the most redneck american thing I've seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4vonJbIO2Q

Quick excerpt for people that don't click blind Youtube links.

https://i.imgur.com/wxu7pdw.mp4

Should get her one of those old stocked pistols, would be the right size for a rifle for her :v:

Kids a pretty good shot considering.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Operation Bertram involved masterful use of decoys.

quote:

On the edge of the Munassib Depression, Bertram risked a double bluff. From 15 October 1942, a week before the attack, Camouflage constructed three and a half dummy field regiments of artillery.[b] They were carefully made to appear seriously camouflaged, but day by day, they were maintained less and less well, to allow the enemy to decide it was facing dummy guns at Munassib. When the real battle had begun, the dummies were replaced at night with real artillery, which then kept utterly still for a day. An Axis tank attack on Munassib was shocked to find itself being fired on by the massed 'dummy' guns.[25][26]

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
war deception is fun - there is a long tradition of armies pretending to have more cannon then they actually have, using wooden mockups

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaker_gun

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Platystemon posted:

Operation Bertram involved masterful use of decoys.

Thats such a pro move. I wish I could have watched that CO while the plan worked

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

war deception is fun - there is a long tradition of armies pretending to have more cannon then they actually have, using wooden mockups

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaker_gun

Serbians did the exact same thing to NATO forces during the Yugoslavian war to make NATO waste air-to-ground missiles on piles bricks with strategically placed sewer pipers to look like artillery pieces, APCs and tanks. So its not exactly useless strategy, even on the current wars and conflicts.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 17:56 on Dec 18, 2020

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Der Kyhe posted:

Serbians did the exact same thing to NATO forces during the Yugoslavian war to make NATO waste air-to-ground missiles on piles bricks with strategically placed sewer pipers to look like artillery pieces, APCs and tanks. So its not exactly useless strategy, even on the current wars and conflicts.

See also: North Korea, probably

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

fill 'em with helium and scare the poo poo out of the airforce

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

But if we don't consume the cum it will get everywhere

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Der Kyhe posted:

And even if NATO was ninety percent sure it was a decoy, they still had to blow that missile because they couldn’t afford to be wrong.

Gotta love asymmetric warfare.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

The Bloop posted:

See also: North Korea, probably

the north korean decoy arty is probably real, just so clapped out as to be useless and any other military would have scrapped or sold it decades ago

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Fall Down Terror posted:

the north korean decoy arty is probably real, just so clapped out as to be useless and any other military would have scrapped or sold it decades ago

I'm pretty sure they've also done missile parades with tons of mock-ups

But that may be more internal propaganda

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Der Kyhe posted:

There was a quote from a US general (?) about the war in Afghanistan talking about how they knew the war wasn't going their way when farmers would set up "terrorist training camps" (ie, tents and firing ranges), which the US would then bomb with missiles costing hundreds of thousands of dollars. The farmers would collect the scrap from the dropped bombs and sell it for hundreds of dollars

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Cocaine Bear posted:

And here's sad Dizi after her spay:

Aww, poor baba. She's had abdominal surgery so you give that good girl gentle cuddles and and many treats until she recovers.

I'm watching you now , so you'd better cuddle the gentle HECK out of her : colbert:

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Pookah posted:

Aww, poor baba. She's had abdominal surgery so you give that good girl gentle cuddles and and many treats until she recovers.

I'm watching you now , so you'd better cuddle the gentle HECK out of her : colbert:

I will. My partner is presently spoiling her with treats and ice cubes. Here's what she looks like when she's more happy:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Since this is now partly war and tanks chat I think it's worth mentioning that I saw T-34 last night. Awesome as heck movie about a Russian tank crew who gets captured by the Nazis and are forced to compete in a training exercise since they're the best the Soviets have to offer. They are given an unarmed T-34 that's a fancy new model and have to face off against several panzers. It has a bunch of boss rear end scenes and plenty of bullet time for anyone who likes war movies. Just make sure to avoid the version with American dubbing. It's worse than old Hong Kong chopsocky.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5A7QboG8Nk

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Ryan Perry raised a winner.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That trump tweet "They'll soon be calling me MR. FART!"

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

She's a way better shot than I was at her age, I'll say that much.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

She's a way better shot than I was at her age, I'll say that much.

She’s a better shot than some people who show up to 2-gun matches.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't want to know how debbie gets if that rule is broken.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Photux posted:

They aren't called the To Watchmen.
They are in Greek.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

No, thank you Debbie.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
No, thank you, Debbie

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
No thank, you Debbie!

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

:stare:

America was a mistake.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

What about men with long hair?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Hey rear end in a top hat, there are many reasons why my 7 year old daughter should learn to shoot a deadly firearm. First of all...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It looks mostly like "for fun" is the main reason though she seems to know how to handle it safely, which is good.

I don't think I'd have that much confidence in a kid's self control and attention but if she can learn that at a young age then more power to her and her parents tbh, that's a smart kid.

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!
I’ll take the 30-50 feral hogs, tyvm

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Guns don't kill people. Children with guns kill people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

i feel like if you need two fingers to pull the trigger you might be too young to use a gun

that kid seems to know her way around a gun though so what do i know

thank god im not american