Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheeseThief
Dec 28, 2012

Two wholesome boys to brighten your day

I hope you go down the non-lethal route with Duncan. When I played this last year I dedicated him to assault rifles and never touched anything else, so I'm curious if it can hold it's weight.

Subdue looks pretty rad, a shame I never used it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CheeseThief posted:

I hope you go down the non-lethal route with Duncan. When I played this last year I dedicated him to assault rifles and never touched anything else, so I'm curious if it can hold it's weight.

Subdue looks pretty rad, a shame I never used it.

Subdue’s biggest problem is a three-turn cooldown; if you can use it on more than two or three enemies in a huge fight, things have already gone hilariously pear-shaped, and I assume that’s even more the case in Kanfy’s modded game.

It’s also melee range on someone who prefers to hang back with rifles.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Subdue is excellent to use once or twice per encounter. Plus, there are some combats where you'd rather not kill the folk who are attacking you.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

paragon1 posted:

Sometimes your corporate black site prison is a fenced in bunch of cargo containers in the trackless desert. Sometimes it's the humanities department at Reed. :shrug:

That explains SO much about getting my MA.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

Kanfy posted:

There also seems to be a minor exploit here where loaning an item to a crew member with full locked-in inventory like Duncan's here and back actually unlocks one of their items as if it were ours, but we'll abstain from that one.
Lemme tell you something, managing to cause a nature elemental (I think the "decorating" mission and Gobbet were involved) whole inventory somehow to drop (stumbled into this bug honestly) made for a very fun playthrough, if slightly unbalanced.
Did you know some of the npc-only spells have no stat requirements?

Kanfy posted:

Between this and the scarce medical supplies we start with, it's no great surprise that the Steam achievement for dying in the opening mission isn't a terribly rare one. And be also reminded that the AI has been modded to use all of its AP instead of being limited to one action per turn, and that we're basically a soft bullet magnet who brought a (large) knife to a gunfight.
I've honestly ranking this fight as hard, if not harder, than the finales, or the "bring it, y'all" levels.
The fact that I had problem not starting with 4 charisma may not helped, tho.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
One thing I noticed while replaying Dragonfall again (but don't want to bump the old thread with because it's past time) is just how blatant the foreshadowing is that Simmy Kim broke because of a stillborn child. Not only is she obsessed with BTLs themed around motherhood, but she says that Monica told her that good people, childhood pets, and stillborn babies go to heaven. Like, I felt really stupid for not noticing sooner.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Dec 19, 2020

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Trying to do a 'subdue everything you can' run is technically possible but not worth the effort. However, going down the Nonlethal Duncan route is still a really fun playstyle that combos well with other party members (especially a Physical Adept) and there are other party members who also are good at doing AP damage so he's pretty well supported.

With certain party member builds it can be both viable and entertaining to do a 'full melee' mission.

bewilderment fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 19, 2020

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

PMush Perfect posted:

One thing I noticed while replaying Dragonfall again (but don't want to bump the old thread with because it's past time) is just how blatant the foreshadowing is that Simmy Kim broke because of a stillborn child. Not only is she obsessed with BTLs themed around motherhood, but she says that Monica told her that good people, childhood pets, and stillborn babies go to heaven. Like, I felt really stupid for not noticing sooner.

The German language has got a beautiful name for those: Sternenkinder or 'star children' :unsmith:

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
There's a flashback coming up about our last meeting with Duncan eight years ago before whatever we did landed us in prison, and I figure if someone wants to give their input on what seems like an appropriate reason for our sudden departure in the middle of the night, go right ahead.

Not an official vote or anything, I believe this gets referenced later but it's primarily just for flavor.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

We were young, dumb, scrappy, and naive, and when we got a promise from a guy about a deal, we didn't know any better.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

PMush Perfect posted:

We were young, dumb, scrappy, and naive, and when we got a promise from a guy about a deal, we didn't know any better.

I'm in favor. Though wouldn't the classic term be, to see a man about a dog? :v:

FH_Meta
Feb 20, 2011

Quackles posted:

I'm in favor. Though wouldn't the classic term be, to see a man about a dog? :v:

No, because dog controls your destiny.

What we did was help a friend.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Friend in a Bind

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

We were just heading to fight in the martial-arts tournament.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

FH_Meta posted:

Apparently in a very unsuccessful manner, but this is what we tried to do.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

FH_Meta posted:

Going with this.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

FH_Meta posted:

This.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
On the Help a friend :bandwagon:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I do appreciate that it’s not possible to lie to Duncan. No matter what you choose, you’re honest with him about it. Great little way to show your old relationship.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Friend in a Bind

+1 for this. Let's be a decent person. Or do a call-back to your first Shadowrun playthrough. Either or.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Sorry, can't talk about it

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
We are a badass with a heart of gold and therefore we helped a friend.

kaosdrachen
Aug 15, 2011
We're usually careful, but when a friend needed our help we perhaps didn't check the details as thoroughly as we should have.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
When a friend is in a bind, ramen girl is there to provide warmth and flavor.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

it's a job. too good to pass up.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MagusofStars posted:

Apparently in a very unsuccessful manner, but this is what we tried to do.

There’s something to be said about throwing yourself in the line of fire so a friend can get out safely.

Since we’re an Academic, I can’t see us throwing poo poo away for revenge or opportunity, but I absolutely can see putting it all on the line for someone else, like a true martyr of myth.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 23, 2021

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
When you grow up broke and orphaned your friends are the only ones you can rely on, and it’s important to pay it back by helping them when they need it.

HereticMIND
Nov 4, 2012

Friends in need, friends in deed.

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010
A friend will help you move, a true friend will help you move a body.

OneWingedDevil
Aug 27, 2012
When you have a friend in need, honor demands you do something to help if you can. Unfortunately for Taz, she wasn't an academic back then so all her skills involved punching. That's the kind of skill that gets you in trouble quickly.

PMush Perfect posted:

I do appreciate that it’s not possible to lie to Duncan. No matter what you choose, you’re honest with him about it. Great little way to show your old relationship.

It's always impressive when "show, don't tell" can apply within a dialogue menu!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The neighbors dog ran towards the ghoul gang's turf. Err... a friend is in trouble. A normal, metahuman friend.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
they dont put you in jail for killin ghouls, they give you a credstick

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Getting even with the people who hosed with you. Sometimes you gotta be making all the wrong decisions at all the wrong times.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

bob dobbs is dead posted:

This is very, very true. Many shadowrunner careers begin (and end, messily) with clearing out a ghoul nest.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

bob dobbs is dead posted:

No, but convincing a dog to cease adventuring rarely ends where they started.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Friend in Need

Also do you know any good mods for the game?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

It's a job

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Gotta help our friend out!

I'd also be good with the revenge mission, which is ALWAYS good motivation in these sorts of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blenderkitty
May 6, 2004

dog dog dog dog dog dog dog
Biscuit Hider
Friends helping friends is what Shadowrun is really all about