Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Knightmare posted:

To breathe some life into this thread I'll say I've been playing a lot of Soccer Star lately. It's pretty well-done, is free and has a .99 no-ads but has a fairly grindy currency that you could pay for.

This is neat! I wish it didn't have this energy mechanic though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Reminds me of New Star Soccer which was a fun game ruined by how aggressive they amped up the IAP. The game basically became impossible to do well in without continuous spending.

I've been playing the poo poo out of Retro Bowl. It's the best mobile sports game out there right now.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

I've been playing the poo poo out of Retro Bowl. It's the best mobile sports game out there right now.

I agree, but man does it not have staying power. Once you get a maxed out team, you become unbeatable and your options are "start over and don't again" or "move on to something else"

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

quite stretched out posted:

i just started playing soul of eden too, seems pretty good so far. is there a guild or anything? i havent really looked at th efriends settings stuff by my ingame name should be "willus" if anyone wants to add me

Are you, or anyone, playing this still? I picked it up a week ago and played for awhile. It's like StarCraft meets Clash Royale. Would love to form a clan if anyone at all plays.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I agree, but man does it not have staying power. Once you get a maxed out team, you become unbeatable and your options are "start over and don't again" or "move on to something else"

Yea I want to find something else decent besides neko atsume

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

If you're still playing soccer star, I found out you can close the app and reopen it when the post-match ad starts and it puts you back at the main screen to play the next game. lovely thing is you have to do it every time (whereas if you watch the ad you only get one every couple of matches) but it takes like a few seconds and is quicker than watching the ad. And before you say it yes I am a cheap bastard for not just paying the $0.99 to disable ads :colbert:

Edit: oh you can just close the app before even getting to the ad and it works too.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 5, 2020

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

SaGa SCARLET GRACE : AMBITIONS is currently $9.99, down from $29.99!

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

SaGa SCARLET GRACE : AMBITIONS is currently $9.99, down from $29.99!

Looks like a great deal, let's see what's new...

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

BlindNinja posted:

Are you, or anyone, playing this still? I picked it up a week ago and played for awhile. It's like StarCraft meets Clash Royale. Would love to form a clan if anyone at all plays.

nah soz, fell off. i can't remember why but i just completely lost interest after a while

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

quite stretched out posted:

nah soz, fell off. i can't remember why but i just completely lost interest after a while

I kind of did the same thing. I go back to it here and there. I wonder what more being in a clan gets you.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Tagichatn posted:

Looks like a great deal, let's see what's new...

That's baby Yoda, right?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I've been enjoying Merge Tactics which is a combination of tower defense and those games where you combine units to make units, But Bigger. I've played it without paying money but it does ask you to watch a metric boatload of ads.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Apparently, an early review of the upcoming Diablo mobile game shows that it doesn't suck.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

But it was already decided the game was bad garbage and should never be played. It can't actually turn out playable!

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost

Sounds like it's full of microtransaction garbage. Also still loling at them leaving out the one black character class from Diablo 3 because of China.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Fatigued posted:

Sounds like it's full of microtransaction garbage. Also still loling at them leaving out the one black character class from Diablo 3 because of China.

It seemed to me like any and all microtransactions would be cosmetic only, and not gameplay related.

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

It seemed to me like any and all microtransactions would be cosmetic only, and not gameplay related.

Andrew Webster posted:

But there’s still plenty to buy, including stones that let you reforge an item, “crests” that add better rewards when you complete a randomized dungeon

I mean, I'm not sure I'd call that "full of microtransaction garbage", but it doesn't sound like it'll be cosmetic only.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Valle posted:

I mean, I'm not sure I'd call that "full of microtransaction garbage", but it doesn't sound like it'll be cosmetic only.

Ah, fair enough.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

All I've ever wanted in mobile gaming is Diablo 2 LOD on my phone. Really hope they deliver a good product.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Valle posted:

The game was deemed garbage the second it was announced is why

Fatigued
Feb 5, 2010
Nap Ghost

Valle posted:

Consumables to increase rewards you get from rifts including possibly guaranteeing certain rewards (legendary gems seem to require you to purchase a legendary crest to get them to drop), consumables to reforge stats on your gear, and a paid battle pass sound like garbage to me.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Knightmare posted:

To breathe some life into this thread I'll say I've been playing a lot of Soccer Star lately. It's pretty well-done, is free and has a .99 no-ads but has a fairly grindy currency that you could pay for.

Gonna drag this off the last page to say thanks. I loved Jumpers for Goalposts, New Star Soccer, and Soccer Hero. Soccer Star seems to crib a lot of the good parts of those games. I don't spend enough time playing games on my phone (though I wish I could) to notice the energy mechanic, and as someone mentioned, the ads can be skipped and aren't all that obtrusive anyway. Good recommendation.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

FistEnergy posted:

All I've ever wanted in mobile gaming is Diablo 2 LOD on my phone. Really hope they deliver a good product.

Not quite the same I guess but the source port of D1 is on Android at least

Suck-A-Sage
Nov 11, 2008
Diablo Immortal is available in Australia as early access. I can definitely see myself playing this for some time if there's ongoing new content and events after full release. Just some initial thoughts after playing for an hour.
-Movement/attack/skill controls are about as good as you'd expect for a touch screen interface.
-Nothing really to say about combat, it works and the mobs and boss fights are decent enough
-There is waypoint teleporting and auto-navigation feature for easy world travel
-No character stat points or skill tree. Instead you automatically unlock & upgrade all your skills depending on your character's levels.
-Loot attributes appear to be quite limited, compared to the other games. There is gem/rune socketing that I haven't messed around with yet. You can upgrade the rank of an item to give additional fixed stats and the rank can also be transferred freely to another item once it becomes obsolete.
-Haven't found any item sets (if they're even in-game yet)
-Raid dungeons that you can solo or co-op with up to 4 other players.
-Different difficulty levels that I haven't unlocked yet
-Plenty of achievements that give loot, contribute to the battle pass rewards or provide passive stat bonuses

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Anybody successfully using an Xbox Series X/S controller with Android? I can get it to pair but when I try to 'enable' it in the settings it tells me that an app is required. I found pretty much nothing about this except for one reddit post where someone suggested firmware update on the controller, which I did, but still nothin'.

I started playing SOTN again on the android version for the first time and it's pretty dang good, it's cheaty as gently caress but it autosaves every room and you can 'continue' after you die and it puts you at the last room you entered.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

If you're looking for an honest and educated opinion on DI, watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aqcGB21aHg

This guy knows his poo poo when it comes to Diablo and going by his opinion, I'm actually looking forward to it. The only issue I have so far is gating some of the legendary drops behind the battle pass, but if it turns out to be as good as Rhykker says, I have no issue paying for it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

explosivo posted:

I started playing SOTN again on the android version for the first time and it's pretty dang good, it's cheaty as gently caress but it autosaves every room and you can 'continue' after you die and it puts you at the last room you entered.
I've played through that games so many times over the years, and honestly that sounds great, and how a mobile port should work. So you're not screwed when your OS shuts off the game because you needed to look at notifications or something, and didn't immediately get back to it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

teethgrinder posted:

I've played through that games so many times over the years, and honestly that sounds great, and how a mobile port should work. So you're not screwed when your OS shuts off the game because you needed to look at notifications or something, and didn't immediately get back to it.

Yeah absolutely, I'm sure purists would turn their nose up at it but like you I've played this a bunch of times already and appreciate it being there for this exact reason.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hey all, my mom plays a lot of puzzle-ey games on her phone and just asked me to help her cheat in this puzzle bobble-esque game she plays that has premium currency and does the typical "once you reach a certain point it starts to gradually screw you over more and more to get you to pay cash" thing. She was going to download some random thing she googled because she has no awareness(or self-preservation it seems) of how devious and conniving these sorts of systems can be, so I explained how games do that sort of thing to goad you into paying for stuff. I asked her for a list of the games she plays a lot so I could possibly ask if anyone here knows of not-sketchy alternatives that don't pull that poo poo on players.

these are the games she listed to me:

Tanglemaster 3D
Bubble Cloud
Mahjong (not sure of the specific one she has, but a good one without in-app purchases would be preferable to replace it)
Cloud Games (I don't know what this is specifically either)

thanks for any help you may be able to provide!

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

New spot in the Shop Titans goon guild is open to whoever drops that in-game ID into the thread! Come get mad with goons at the terribly thought out guild system in the game!

staplegun fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Dec 21, 2020

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

staplegun posted:

New spot in the Shop Titans goon guild is open to whoever drops that in-game ID into the thread! Come get mad with goons at the terribly thought out guild system in the game!

I'm level 50 in a dying guild and would love to play with people that log in sometimes.

Valentotinos#85564

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

thuly posted:

I'm level 50 in a dying guild and would love to play with people that log in sometimes.

Valentotinos#85564

Invite sent!

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy

staplegun posted:

Invite sent!
Sorry I fell off, work has been super busy and my other projects are just as taxing. I had a great time meeting and playing with everyone!

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Anyone know offhand some fun phone games without ads or games you can pay for once and never see an ad in again?

Apocopriest
Apr 18, 2008
Buriedbornes would be my suggestion.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Doc Fission posted:

Anyone know offhand some fun phone games without ads or games you can pay for once and never see an ad in again?

Solitarica

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You Must Build A Boat.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Doc Fission posted:

Apart from Solitarica, I still keep coming back to Twinfold and Look Your Loot from time to time.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
Kairosoft games are also good for that if you like cute pixel art and sim style gameplay. Game Dev Story, The Pyraplex, Cafe Nippon, and the new Hot Springs Story 2 are all worth a rec in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

teethgrinder posted:

You Must Build A Boat.

This is a good answer.

Also Mini Metro and Dungeon Warfare.