Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TACD posted:

lol I was starting to think I was becoming a tinfoil conspiracist for entertaining the idea that they’d lied about the COVID mutation but it’s really seeming that way

https://twitter.com/BrunoBrussels/status/1340622671080468480

I'm laughing. I'm laughing so hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

OwlFancier posted:

I was looking for an excuse to post that in here because I saw it and thought of Ms A so thank you for saving me the bother :v:

So pleased to have a reputation

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Vitamin P posted:

Yeah it was Christmas care boxes. The process was you drive to the address, put on a fresh mask and fresh pair of gloves then ring the bell and leave the box on the doorstep, then you walk back to the pavement and sing a carol/talk to them from there when they answer the door.

The Salvation Army is bit sus, especially on lgbt stuff, but it seems like a nice thing to do for people and I was really looking forward to doing it tbh. Seems like in a sane country the government would have been honest about what would be possible for Christmas instead of explictly lying about Christmas relaxations, letting people and charities make plans and spend money accordingly.

Might well do that tbh stuff is feeling grim atm

Maybe they'll contact you tomorrow or Tuesday with a plan, this caught everyone by surprise.

Other deliveries will still be taking place*, so no reason why these can't.

*(I hope - I have 4kg of dried mixed veg sitting in Cardiff sorting office waiting for onward delivery to my local area)

I know what you mean about the Salvation Army, I did google quite a bit and did seem to be the US rather than the UK that were suss (and happy to be put right if that's not correct), but on balance I decided that as they do some real hands-on practical work, I'd continue.

If anyone knows of another organisation that give the same sort of practical help, I'd be happy to hear about it.

I cancelled Save the Children - I was originally going to when they awarded Tony Blair a humanitarian prize but contact with their UK office convinced me that the US-led 'international' had ignored protestations from the UK office.
However, when I discovered their CEO - who I believe at the time was Stephen Kinnock's wife - was paid 4000 years worth of my monthly sub EVERY YEAR, I cancelled.
The response (presumably from a lowly paid office person) was that 'the directors only earn what the head of a large comprehensive school earns' (note - ignored the comment about the CEO who was paid more than double that).
I've known a few charity directors in my time and I wrote back to say that I considered the responsibilities and demands on the head of a large comprehensive school were considerably more burdensome than those on a charity director.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

I'm laughing. I'm laughing so hard.

Jokerfication - the new trend sweeping the nation

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I think they're *very* belatedly realising that the Christmas plans they had would have pushed the NHS over the brink and Hancock would have had to sign the "No treatment for these people" order. As bulletproof as they've been so far, the moment dead grannies started piling up would surely have broken through.

I was reading earlier about the Swedish 'herd immunity' failure: and some of the 21 areas that take responsibility for local health care had banned any treatment for any reason for any resident of a care home. So even if they fell over and broke their leg or whatever. Appalling! Remember when the Swedish approach was held up as a shining example in how to work with the virus?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Oh imagine this:

https://twitter.com/philip_pbm339/status/1340790189178970113?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

On the plus side they won't go hungry.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Mebh posted:

I like how it's like 'Terror' 'terror' 'terror!! TERROR!" then at the very end. Oh yeah it's easy to tweak the vaccines.

The initial vaccines were "done" in march, the time since then has just been in testing and working on production-- I'm pretty sure "just tweak the vaccine" would still reset the clock backwards 9 months since it'd effectively be a "new" vaccine

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

The initial vaccines were "done" in march, the time since then has just been in testing and working on production-- I'm pretty sure "just tweak the vaccine" would still reset the clock backwards 9 months since it'd effectively be a "new" vaccine

The approval process will be much quicker/streamlined. Remember we have a new flu vaccine combination every winter

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Do they run the flu vaccine through 9 months of testing every year?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Do they run the flu vaccine through 9 months of testing every year?

More like 2 months of batch testing data.

Mind you, the mRNA vaccines might not be as expedited, but I guarantee that BioNTech and Moderna are already collecting preclinical data on vaccination using the variant spike as antigen. Or else identifying invariant conserved regions to target idk

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Every time you think the Tories have sunk to a new low, they reveal that their next form was actually 15 feet further down.
How long before their incompetence threatens the structural integrity of the continental plate?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

kingturnip posted:

Every time you think the Tories have sunk to a new low, they reveal that their next form was actually 15 feet further down.
How long before their incompetence threatens the structural integrity of the continental plate?
We’re already doing fracking

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Canada prohibiting passenger flights from the UK:

https://twitter.com/HowardSlutsken/status/1340818549527330816?s=20

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Maybe they'll contact you tomorrow or Tuesday with a plan, this caught everyone by surprise.

Other deliveries will still be taking place*, so no reason why these can't.

Gig workers delivering Amazon orders is business stuff to help capitalists, the Salvation Army boxes is voluntary sector stuff to help communities, you think this lovely right-wing government will allow the latter the way it allows the former?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

January infact!

quote:

it took Moderna just two days to develop their vaccine. They had the vaccine – in January. This is because Moderna has spent the last 10 years developing the mRNA vaccine technology that they used in their COVID vaccine. This, in fact, is the huge advantage of mRNA vaccines, and partly why this technology was being developed. It worked as designed. As soon as the Chinese government released the genetic sequence of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, that was all Moderna needed. They identified the sequence for the spike protein, plugged that into their vaccine platform, and voila – an mRNA vaccine against the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

https://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/it-took-two-days-to-develop-modernas-vaccine

The article goes on to talk about how the hope is to validate the mRNA 'platform' so that in the future plugging different genetic sequences into it won't require full validation and instead works more like the yearly flu shots, but that's still a ways away atm.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Even if the vaccine is easy to tweak, this still means you have to restart the massive, laborious process of getting it out to the whole world once it is tweaked. You have a much shorter period before your current vaccine stocks become useless, which is a logistical nightmare, and if you start getting outbreaks because, say, Peru still mostly has outdated vaccines, and those outbreaks accelerate the mutation process, then... well, you see where I'm going with this.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
So the government panicked about a PR backlash, told a ridiculous lie, everyone else went "better not take chances", and now the UK's cancelled Christmas and ensured there's a run on everything as shipments grind to a halt... before Brexit even happens? Is that really looking like the most likely scenario?

This was never funny because people I care about are stuck in the middle. But even if it had been it would have gone to this being just sad by now. Well, by May. I don't know what this is.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

endlessmonotony posted:

So the government panicked about a PR backlash, told a ridiculous lie, everyone else went "better not take chances", and now the UK's cancelled Christmas and ensured there's a run on everything as shipments grind to a halt... before Brexit even happens? Is that really looking like the most likely scenario?

Yes but Jermy Corbin grows Hamas root vegetables.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

endlessmonotony posted:

This was never funny because people I care about are stuck in the middle. But even if it had been it would have gone to this being just sad by now. Well, by May. I don't know what this is.

We don't really know.

It seems plausible, given what we know about the shower of cunts who make up our government, but anything you read about the "inner workings" of the government is propaganda - leaning one way or another.
It's usually the pro-penis journos passing on information dutifully leaked to them at the request of the Chief Prick himself.
But now it's other journalists passing on information dutifully leaked to them by ???

We know that large parts of the Tory party want Boris to go as soon as they can offload as much blame as possible onto him, so just be wary of taking any news that's critical of Boris from the sort of places that are usually nice to him.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

WELL LABOUR WOUOLD HAVE HANDLED IT WORSE

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

Even if the vaccine is easy to tweak, this still means you have to restart the massive, laborious process of getting it out to the whole world once it is tweaked. You have a much shorter period before your current vaccine stocks become useless, which is a logistical nightmare, and if you start getting outbreaks because, say, Peru still mostly has outdated vaccines, and those outbreaks accelerate the mutation process, then... well, you see where I'm going with this.

Considering there was always a chance this would end up like the flu where you have to get the vaccine every year I assume the logistical frameworks are going to remain in place so it's not like a complete restart. This depends on how short sighted different governments are being. Biggest danger is the pharma industry getting too greedy and making everything non-viable. Then we get deus ex and the vaccine turns into ambrosia.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

WELL LABOUR WOUOLD HAVE HANDLED IT WORSE

I can't see how, but I know Keith would try

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Struggling to cope? Text SHOUT to 85258

https://giveusashout.org/get-help/how-shout-works/

quote:

How Shout 85258 works
Our trained volunteers are there for you 24/7 to listen and support you to get to a calmer and safe place. Shout is a free, confidential, anonymous service for anyone in the UK. It won’t appear on your phone bill.

To start a conversation, text the word 'SHOUT' to 85258.

If your life is at imminent risk, call the emergency services on 999.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Regarde Aduck posted:

Considering there was always a chance this would end up like the flu where you have to get the vaccine every year I assume the logistical frameworks are going to remain in place so it's not like a complete restart. This depends on how short sighted different governments are being. Biggest danger is the pharma industry getting too greedy and making everything non-viable. Then we get deus ex and the vaccine turns into ambrosia.

Why contain it?

's cool.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

If someone's come over for a single day at this point they deserve to get stuck here.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
So if it does turn out to be a lie, if it does turn out that the PM having insisted on spreading the virus through open schools and absolutely hosed everything decided to lie and say there was a mutant strain that caused the rest of the world to turn us into a leper colony how many points will they drop in the polls? 2-3%?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
0 because he'll have been "acting out of caution" and "misled by overdramatic health officials"

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Gonzo McFee posted:

So if it does turn out to be a lie, if it does turn out that the PM having insisted on spreading the virus through open schools and absolutely hosed everything decided to lie and say there was a mutant strain that caused the rest of the world to turn us into a leper colony how many points will they drop in the polls? 2-3%?

Keir clears him of all wrongdoing and drops about five percent.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

My plan had been to finish my shopping on Wednesday to avoid the xmas rush but now i'll be hitting my local Tesco in two hours time, get the final bits of stuff that i need and then i am not leaving my home till February. :stare:

Thank god i live in the Northern Ireland countryside & have a front/back yard.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guess we will see what the 6AM rush is like.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
You know its just occurred to me that there’s an inherent flaw in a brood of sociopaths asking a societal species such as humanity to forgo social contact and acting like its, at best, a small annoyance.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My interpretation of this is 'negative interest rates is icumen in. Lhude sing cuccu'

So buy gold ? Or something else that retains it's value well.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
https://mobile.twitter.com/David_Cameron/status/595112367358406656

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It really does feel sometimes like the last five years have just been an attempt to make that tweet the funniest thing in the universe.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

I spent all weekend playing Jurassic Park and missed.... well, everything. Am I summarising correctly?

1) totally gently caress Christmas by doing nothing until all options were gone, then saying “we had no other options”
2) try and cover by spending all weekend hyping a ‘new variant’ and how dangerous it is
3) all other countries go “a new variant! poo poo!” And ban uk travel
4) this morning, other countries start going “we’ve got NO information, your pm/health secretary said it was bad!”
5) tiny trickle of scientists going “if it’s the same new variant as we’ve got here, it’s not that bad”

Is that it in a nutshell or am I missing anything? Ten days of open borders left! Starting to think they might have proper hosed this, lads.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I gather that's about it, yeah.

Also feels thematic that I started playing Cataclysm DDA again, driving around in a car covered in spikes looting shops for lard and biscuits feels appropriate.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

MonkeyLibFront posted:

Make EGG NOG, makes lots of EGG NOG

https://youtu.be/TIPaH1ncVmU

I love how the first recipe in that video is 'get a carton of eggnog'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/egg_nog_64580 is the recipe I've used for the last 2 years. Simple, fast and delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

goddamnedtwisto posted:

As bulletproof as they've been so far, the moment dead grannies started piling up would surely have broken through.

this has been happening all year tho