Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I'm surprised the AWD systems in both the Focus and the Bentley held up as well as they did. Neither are designed for off road use with constant slip, I would have expected them to have had heat issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Well we technically don't know if they were faulting left and right, only that they were working well enough to keep the cars moving forward.

I know Clarkson mentioned all the warning lights for the suspension that was removed, but they could have had faults for AWD system as well.

I think the most impressive thing is if you swapped the wheels back on the caterham and sent it off to the detailer for the afternoon, you likely would have never known it went through this ordeal.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 18, 2020

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

That was a good one. Probably the best Grand Tour episode that I can think of. I guessed completely wrong who would have which cars: I assumed Hammond in the Caterham, May in the Bentley, and Clarkson in the RS. Rally Bentley is rad. If I were a rich man I would totally have a modern rally 911.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

wolrah posted:

I'm surprised the AWD systems in both the Focus and the Bentley held up as well as they did. Neither are designed for off road use with constant slip, I would have expected them to have had heat issues.

Hammond mentioned a howling front wheel bearing in the RS, but yeah, I was thinking about that too. I'm sure the diffs weren't happy at the least.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Toe Rag posted:

That was a good one. Probably the best Grand Tour episode that I can think of. I guessed completely wrong who would have which cars: I assumed Hammond in the Caterham, May in the Bentley, and Clarkson in the RS. Rally Bentley is rad. If I were a rich man I would totally have a modern rally 911.

A very cool build indeed, I watch Matt Farah stuff sometimes and he has himself one, complete with LA bus interior! https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a25561467/porsche-leh-keen-safari-911-smoking-tire-review/

That Caterham owned so hard I loving love it.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
Was that the first 'gently caress' of the show when Hammonds Focus finally died? Funny they let one through and then censored the next one a few seconds later.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CactusWeasle posted:

Was that the first 'gently caress' of the show when Hammonds Focus finally died? Funny they let one through and then censored the next one a few seconds later.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. I'm not sure if it was because the first one was more muttered and the 2nd one was emphatic or what.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hammond saying gently caress seemed more genuine than bleeping the next swears. I'd rather they have the swears in, since this is an internet show and doesn't need to be bleeped.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I didn't keep track, but uh PG-13 allows for a single 'gently caress' so maybe that was it, but it definitely was something I noted too that they allowed that one and then the bleep right around it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

MPAA rules have never applied here.

The most restrictive rules Top Gear would have operated under are the watershed rules for the BBC. It's always aired on cable in the US which is allowed to do whatever they want.

Amazon does use cable ratings for their content and Grand Tour is rated TV-14. There are no hard and fast rules for TV-14 though it's generally accepted that 'gently caress' isn't allowed, but several TV-14 rated programs have broken that before.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Maybe he said oval office and americans go mental about that

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Ya'll realise this is available in more countries than just America, right?

Anyway, enjoyed the episode (poor James, wet clothes are one of my biggest hates) but felt the ending was a little flat. I wasn't expecting them to find the treasure or anything, but usually the adventure builds to some kind of crescendo and this one didn't really have it for me (granted I'm probably not the target demo for a Holy Grail joke...). Maybe I'm just over explosions?

Absolutely gorgeous footage though.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
How many more specials/years are they contracted for?

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Residency Evil posted:

How many more specials/years are they contracted for?

The current contract has three more specials left with the Scotland special that has recently finished filming included.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

opengl128 posted:

I was amazed how well the Caterham did. Also genuine laughs at how miserable May looked every time he good flooded with mud water.
Seriously, that first time the slop came up and over from the back wheels I was dying.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The Caterham was easily one of the most impressive things I've ever seen on a show featuring the three of them, I am, as May would say, absolutely gobsmacked.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The Bentley has to be crushed.

https://www.grandtournation.com/thegrandtour/jeremy-clarkson-admits-his-grand-tour-bentley-continental-now-needs-to-be-scrapped/

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Surely they had to know that from the beginning. Unless the Bentley fell off a truck.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

Surely they had to know that from the beginning. Unless the Bentley fell off a truck.

When they first showed the cars I thought they were all new so I wondered about that, but later on they show the cluster in the Bentley briefly and it had ~70k km IIRC.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
I assumed they swapped out the nice new Bentley and had an older one modded for the offroad version.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CactusWeasle posted:

I assumed they swapped out the nice new Bentley and had an older one modded for the offroad version.

I think that's why they clearly showed the door jamb with the original blue paint next to the new exterior paint to show it was the original Bentley.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

And to contrast it with the RS which Hammond had just decided to have “repainted” while he was at it :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh yes well you see while I was installing the new twin turbo engine in this Lamborghini we also switched it from right hand drive to left

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

They did that in a couple of episodes I believe.

The NZ race between Jeremy and James for one, but I think at least one other?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Regular top gear is also doing episodes and “meh”

I really don’t care for the bully-bullied dynamic between Freddy and Chris

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

I mostly just like Chris. Need to figure out a more central way of watching all the loads of content he’s put out over the years.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Cojawfee posted:

“It took a while but, eventually, the Bentley arrived back in Britain, and I was very happy. But then came word from the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency. The Bentley had started in life as a development mule and the rules say these must be destroyed to ensure they don’t ever seep onto the market”. They knew it had to be destroyed. Clarkson was probably just hoping that he could get a waiver since they used it on the show and now there was some argument about re-purposing.

I thought it was funny that the McGuffin was a 100-million dollar treasure when I am sure they are each multi-millionaires. Clarkson is reportedly worth 44 million GBP which is already getting close.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yeah I kept lolling at the premise: all these poor as poo poo locals have been living here for hundreds of years and scraping a living selling pirate t-shirts to tourists, but then here come these TV millionaires who dig up their soccer field and carry off the treasure in triumph

At least they lampshaded it with the kids playing soccer and falling headlong into the hole, that was a hearty :lmao:

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
That Bentley was amazing and by far my favorite car in the challenge. And thinking about it, I’m not surprised the clutch in the RS blew up, he was surely slipping the hell out of it on all those rocks and stuff .

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Yeah, and as a development mule it was probably beat to hell before it started the next phase in its life.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, and as a development mule it was probably beat to hell before it started the next phase in its life.

I wonder what the origin was with the Caterham then?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

i own every Bionicle posted:

I wonder what the origin was with the Caterham then?

They probably just bought a cheap used one or something.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Retired press/demo fleet, manufacturer deal, or yeah just buy one.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I forgot what a good chuckle James May's Cars of the People was......full of original music too.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Data Graham posted:

Yeah I kept lolling at the premise: all these poor as poo poo locals have been living here for hundreds of years and scraping a living selling pirate t-shirts to tourists, but then here come these TV millionaires who dig up their soccer field and carry off the treasure in triumph

At least they lampshaded it with the kids playing soccer and falling headlong into the hole, that was a hearty :lmao:

Hey, that one kid got some new shoes!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Keyser_Soze posted:

I forgot what a good chuckle James May's Cars of the People was......full of original music too.

Hell yeah, I was just watching it again myself. I don't think I'd even realized there was a second series :dance:

Do the Amazon Top Gears have the "good" BBC-enabled music then? Or has the ersatz international music gotten better? I tried rewatching the Bolivia special some years ago but found that with anodyne soundalike junk instead of the original soundtrack it was only a fraction as good.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You know how they had the bit where they couldn't go swimming because of sharks?

Yeah, that was after they went swimming, because Hammond can't speak French.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq9gmKY1ANo

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Mar 23, 2021

winter.mute
Jan 5, 2010

opengl128 posted:

I was amazed how well the Caterham did. Also genuine laughs at how miserable May looked every time he good flooded with mud water.

Wasn't too surprised by the Caterham, you could say it has nearly 50 years of proven off road ability
since it was basically the same setup as a VW buggy/sandrail with...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
I binge watched through the specials this week, and at the end even decided to rewatch the India special because I had only seen it once. I forgot how bad it is. It really is, very bad.