Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Julio Cruz posted:

the is (one of the) the loving problem(s) with journalism in this country, right here

he gets asked a question and clearly doesn't answer it, but instead of the journo saying "er actually you didn't answer the question, what the gently caress" they just meekly sit down and shut up

and later it gets posted to twitter where all the libs can crow about how Boris really got dunked on this time and will surely be facing consequences, just any day now

e: catte

Tarnop fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Antisemitism in the labor party

I mean I'm sure they have some Down Under but we haven't heard much about it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Antipodeanism in the Labor Party.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Whoever the woman is, she's wearing that face women wear when they're hoping their friends will think the guy with his arm round her is a boyfriend.
(Don't ask me how I know.. my sad and pathetic younger life writ large)

But yuck, how could anyone... bleurgh...

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Coincidentally that is the face I wear when I want to go home because I need a big poo poo.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The man has roughly a half-dozen kids, maybe by a half-dozen women? Idk I haven't really paid attention, gross tho

OwlFancier posted:

Coincidentally that is the face I wear when I want to go home because I need a big poo poo.

Do you ever sprinkle a lil straw on top of your jobby and then do a Boris voice like "a-bluh-bluh-bluh" and then flush it down and say "gently caress you Boris"?

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 21, 2020

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Whoever the woman is, she's wearing that face women wear when they're hoping their friends will think the guy with his arm round her is a boyfriend.
(Don't ask me how I know.. my sad and pathetic younger life writ large)

that would be Pippa Crerar, the journalist asking the slightly awkward question on over-promising and under-delivering mentioned above

CGI Stardust fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 21, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Julio Cruz posted:

the is (one of the) the loving problem(s) with journalism in this country, right here

he gets asked a question and clearly doesn't answer it, but instead of the journo saying "er actually you didn't answer the question, what the gently caress" they just meekly sit down and shut up

and later it gets posted to twitter where all the libs can crow about how Boris really got dunked on this time and will surely be facing consequences, just any day now

Some of the other MPs they wheel out for these press conferences aren't as strict but Boris doesn't allow any follow up questions from journos when he does the briefing.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
which then leads the journalists to ask three questions at once, so Boris can fob one off on an adviser, come up with a non-answer to the second and just ignore the third

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

How is the government not going to resign after this bullshit. I mean these fucks are causing the greatest health crisis in history. If loving labour was in govt the bbc would be demanding the govt resigns. But nah, tory toters.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Who's going to make them resign?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

Before the 2017 election, I remember there being a lot of interviews with Gove and May where interviewers would ask them a question, they'd blather, the interviewer would point out they hadn't answered and Gove/May/Swinson would say "Well if you'd listened, I did" and then repeat a chunk of the waffle that was vaguely related. Any further attempts would be met by insistence that they did answer it, and generally the Journos weren't bright enough to deconstruct the twaddle to see that they definitely hadn't.

I'm guessing either the technique confused the journos into never asking them to answer the question, or possibly that the politicians complained and threated the journos with lack of access.

Either that or Andrew Neil bagsied all of the 'answer the question' moments so nobody else is allowed now.

E: or she's Boris' mate.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Dec 22, 2020

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

How is the government not going to resign after this bullshit. I mean these fucks are causing the greatest health crisis in history. If loving labour was in govt the bbc would be demanding the govt resigns. But nah, tory toters.

Because they have realised that if they just... ignore the fact that consequences are supposed to result from fuckips, consequences will not result from fuckups.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

OwlFancier posted:

Who's going to make them resign?

I mean nobody. But the mandate is non existent at this point. Brexit is a loving flop and Covid is murdering people in the streets. The legitimacy of this government should be questioned daily.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Plenty of people think the covid is entirely the fault of the millenials and/or the chinese and that brexit is the fault of the EU and that the tories should probably just kill all three.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

OwlFancier posted:

Plenty of people think the covid is entirely the fault of the millenials and/or the chinese and that brexit is the fault of the EU and that the tories should probably just kill all three.

Yeah from looking at polling data Bojack Johnson is sitting at 45% approval. Which is nuts

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Facts are meaningless if nobody's reporting them. My parents are convinced students have been responsible for most of the cases, when the ONS released data the other day that says they're the only bastards that are sticking to the restrictions.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I'm genuinely surprised by how Boris has continually hosed it in exactly the same way this many times seemingly without learning a single thing. For the love of christ just try to get ahead of at least one Covid development, rather than waiting for your hand to be forced by a crisis to turning into a catastrophe

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
The country is so stacked with old Etonian nepotism and atrocities going unquestioned in the press, we aren't living under a system that selects for intelligence, competence or compassion. So It's no surprise we are continually led by uncaring, incompetent idiots.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

multijoe posted:

I'm genuinely surprised by how Boris has continually hosed it in exactly the same way this many times seemingly without learning a single thing. For the love of christ just try to get ahead of at least one Covid development, rather than waiting for your hand to be forced by a crisis to turning into a catastrophe

nobody ever gets credit for stopping a catastrophe before it happens, because the end result of that is nothing happening

you've just got to seen to mitigate things and hey, maybe it couldn't ever have been prevented who knows?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Even if every single person in the country agreed they’d hosed it and Boris and do we’re to blame, what do you think would happen? Absolutely nothing. There’s no mechanism for it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If every single person in the country agreed they’d hosed it and Boris was to blame, including judges, generals, and police chiefs, then there's mechanisms, but we're nowhere near that point.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jakabite posted:

There’s no mechanism for it.
Beg to differ. :guillotine:

E: In theory there's a vote of no confidence, but they have a majority, and managed to boot out the dissenters and replace them with wet behind the gills yes-men who'll vote however Boris tell them. Also Keith would never call it, and would probably whip to abstain even if someone else did.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 22, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the point is that there is no mechanism most people are aware of to translate "loving government useless twats" into effective change, if there was, that would be a revolution, a mechanism by which discontent with the government can be acted on when needed and in an effective manner.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Isomermaid posted:

The country is so stacked with old Etonian nepotism and atrocities going unquestioned in the press, we aren't living under a system that selects for intelligence, competence or compassion. So It's no surprise we are continually led by uncaring, incompetent idiots.

We've just had a historically unprecedented media event in that every establishment force united to stop a lefty, an unexpected consequence of that is that Boris et al were held to to even less of a standard than a Tory candidate usually is. Does anyone actually disagree that Theresa May would have been a significantly better leader for this moment than Boris is?

It's incredible that this confluence of 'yo actually real poo poo is happening now there's Events happening' and 'the establishment is only about stopping the left right now' has happened but you can only lol honestly. We have a uniquely incompetent government when we actually do need some competence and there is literally no media apparatus to create pushback because the media apparatus is directly why the incompetent government is in power, and the official opposition is explicitly defining itself only as downflow from that failed media apparatus. There's just nothing, we're functionally a failed state that just happens to have some money to throw around.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Well bollocks the pharmacy closed early. Now I have to get up at 6am.

Blueshirt
Sep 27, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

A friend of mine is a super left wing, guillotine-them-all type. Lived in a commune, works endlessly for various charities, has been arrested umpteen times at various demos and has strong opinions on Monster Munch.

A few years before Bojo got the big seat she was working at a charity that, for whatever reason, Boris was visiting every now and again. One day she was asked to show him something, and she went into the meeting pre-quaking with rage and ready to destroy him...and found him supremely charming. Incredibly friendly and charismatic, to the point that she likened speaking to him to being drunk. And then, every subsequent time she met him, he would ask about her extended family and take seemingly genuine interest.

So the wiffle-haired flint eyed sociopath obviously has something going for him.

Blueshirt fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Dec 22, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yes, some of them develop a form of charm that prevents them from being guillotined on the spot. I'm sure there's a whole bunch of experts from this year that can explain how this is selected for.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

smh if you do not have the ability to hold a grudge against any amount of affability.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Cerv posted:

For the party ostensibly representing the precariat that’s probably better policy than kicking you instantly after one late payment.

lol All my plans for Xmas dinner for one now hosed. The last flatmate was supposed to be flying out tomorrow.
Guess I’m cooking for two now, but without visiting the shops cos that’s crazy right now.

I left back when Starmer won.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Blueshirt posted:

A friend of mine is a super left wing, guillotine-them-all type. Lived in a commune, works endlessly for various charities, has been arrested umpteen times at various demos and has strong opinions on Monster Munch.

A few years before Bojo got the big seat she was working at a charity that, for whatever reason, Boris was visiting every now and again. One day she was asked to show him something, and she went into the meeting pre-quaking with rage and ready to destroy him...and found him supremely charming. Incredibly friendly and charismatic, to the point that she likened speaking to him to being drunk. And then, every subsequent time she met him, he would ask about her extended family and take seemingly genuine interest.

So the wiffle-haired flint eyed sociopath obviously has something going for him.

Yep that reminds me of Bill Clinton over on our side of the pond. Even people who hated him found his personal magnetism irresistible. Definitely a highly desirable trait in a politician.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Blueshirt posted:

There's a 90's 2000AD comic strip called Zenith. Its about the UK developing super heroes first for WW2, not the US. Think 1960s Austin Powers heroes, then bleak Thatcher Tory Heroes, against nazis. Good read, would recommend.
The PM from it is a a super hero who just jedi mind tricks loving everyone to be leader of the world.

We need to test Boris' blood for midichlorians.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Vitamin P posted:

We've just had a historically unprecedented media event in that every establishment force united to stop a lefty, an unexpected consequence of that is that Boris et al were held to to even less of a standard than a Tory candidate usually is. Does anyone actually disagree that Theresa May would have been a significantly better leader for this moment than Boris is?

It's incredible that this confluence of 'yo actually real poo poo is happening now there's Events happening' and 'the establishment is only about stopping the left right now' has happened but you can only lol honestly. We have a uniquely incompetent government when we actually do need some competence and there is literally no media apparatus to create pushback because the media apparatus is directly why the incompetent government is in power, and the official opposition is explicitly defining itself only as downflow from that failed media apparatus. There's just nothing, we're functionally a failed state that just happens to have some money to throw around.

It feels like any other country would have hit a state of massive unrest by this point. Like the weird apathy of the British public is integral to how we got here. I'm not calling for violence. I'm saying there is, at a systemic level, no actual mechanism out of this other than violence. I just don't know how much is by design or how much is just corruption and failsons.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/PoliDigitalUK/status/1340997961774292993?s=19

Starmer's love bombing of Scotland continues at a pace.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
there's no movement now except muttering, because there is no unambiguous proof that johnson's rapidly-falling favourability will actually translate to electoral backlash

the only plausible CON challenger presently is sunak who would, needless to say, be coming off even worse than johnson as pandemic response goes. maybe in a different crisis where the great intra-tory spiritual struggle is gently navigating the party back to cameronesque hug-a-hoodie conciliation (only now with that great brexit taste), to adapt to the brave new world where immigration is no longer priority #1, but that, as it happens, is not the crisis the government actually went on to have

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hasn't... he already done that?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
https://twitter.com/NickCohen4/status/1341112123884265481

(expect to see a lot of that kind of messaging trickling out next year, I think)

anyway, Starmer's statement seems to be

quote:

“It would be entirely the wrong priority to hold another Scottish independence referendum in the teeth of the deepest recession for 300 years, while still fighting this pandemic, when there is such uncertainty about how Brexit and coronavirus will affect us and when the costs and consequences of independence are still so uncertain,” he said.

“That’s why Nicola Sturgeon’s call for an independence referendum in the ‘early part’ of the next Scottish parliament – perhaps even next year – is so misguided. Given the damage and division this would cause, no responsible first minister should contemplate it – and no responsible prime minister would grant it.”

(as with Corbyn's v similar statements, 1) facially: yeah, okay, whatever, the message even refuses to oppose any indyref, just one set this or next year 2) loto's press office is definitely hyping up the NO2INDYREF angle though)

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ronya posted:

https://twitter.com/NickCohen4/status/1341112123884265481

(expect to see a lot of that kind of messaging trickling out next year, I think)

anyway, Starmer's statement seems to be

(as with Corbyn's v similar statements, 1) facially: yeah, okay, whatever, the message even refuses to oppose any indyref, just one set this or next year 2) loto's press office is definitely hyping up the NO2INDYREF angle though)

Writing about how there's a right wing purity problem in the loving Spectator by Christ.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Guavanaut posted:

Antipodeanism in the Labor Party.

At least it's better than Antiposadism in the Labour Party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

No danger of them ever scrapping trident with keith in charge certainly.