Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Hubis posted:

Local high-school is being decommissioned so they are auctioning a bunch of furniture and shop equipment.

Someone please convince me I don't want this: https://www.themcguiregroupllc.com/auction/103/item/delta-x5-unisaw-table-saw-with-metal-base-side-feed-table-220v-as-is-17837

:eyepop:
I would be all over this auction, everything there is bargain basement. You could make money on some of those huge machines with no bids just for the scrap metal value. It goes without saying grab that table saw (or one of the many others!)

please put in a bid for this giant cement horses head as well
https://www.themcguiregroupllc.com/auction/103/item/cement-mustang-horse-head-measures-approximately-18-tall-and-20-long-17984

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Hubis posted:

Local high-school is being decommissioned so they are auctioning a bunch of furniture and shop equipment.

Someone please convince me I don't want this: https://www.themcguiregroupllc.com/auction/103/item/delta-x5-unisaw-table-saw-with-metal-base-side-feed-table-220v-as-is-17837

Fucks sake.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I'm right down the road and I'm going to be watching that auction like a hawk

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Paint question for y'all:

I'd like to spray paint a steel case which is powder-coated at the moment (at least the manufacturer claims so). Any idea if I'll have to strip the existing coat first or if there's a primer + paint combo that will let me skip that?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I loving love mine.

Warning: no rivaling knife. Also, heavy as poo poo, get a mobile base if you plan on needing to move it.

Boy do I want this and boy do I not want to drive down from MI in the winter to get it. :(

https://www.themcguiregroupllc.com/auction/103/item/grizzly-floor-model-1014zx-belt-disc-sander-as-is-17822

Honestly there is no way I could possibly get it down either of the two narrow stairwells into my basement, and I don't have the room on my property for a dedicated shop outbuilding otherwise I would be all over this. Alas.

Rutibex posted:

:eyepop:
I would be all over this auction, everything there is bargain basement. You could make money on some of those huge machines with no bids just for the scrap metal value. It goes without saying grab that table saw (or one of the many others!)

please put in a bid for this giant cement horses head as well
https://www.themcguiregroupllc.com/auction/103/item/cement-mustang-horse-head-measures-approximately-18-tall-and-20-long-17984

Mr. Mambold posted:

Fucks sake.

To be fair there is like a week left in the auction and I'm sure most of this stuff will go for much more than where it's currently listed. But still, yeah I expect some bargains

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Hubis posted:

Honestly there is no way I could possibly get it down either of the two narrow stairwells into my basement, and I don't have the room on my property for a dedicated shop outbuilding otherwise I would be all over this. Alas.

Massive laugh from my end.

I got it up 2 staircases, down another, and out of a house.
Put it in a truck.
Drove it across the state.
Pulled it into my lovely little landing, shuffling it sideways.
Pulled 2 railings off my walls.
Brought it down another set of stairs and into my basement.

Life... finds a way.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Put it in a truck.

Life... finds a way.
Mother of god. . . How does your spine feel today?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Not Wolverine posted:

Mother of god. . . How does your spine feel today?

On the same trip:

Router table
Radial arm saw (oof)
Lathe with extended bed
A joiners workbench
Air filtration
Standing drill press
Two dust collectors

That, 2 routers, a good biscuit jointer, some hand planes, yadda yadda.

All for 2.5k

For that price, I'm down any day.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Cannon_Fodder posted:

On the same trip:

Router table
Radial arm saw (oof)
Lathe with extended bed
A joiners workbench
Air filtration
Standing drill press
Two dust collectors

That, 2 routers, a good biscuit jointer, some hand planes, yadda yadda.

All for 2.5k

For that price, I'm down any day.

:justpost: pics. Moving a loving unisaw up or down any stairs is, uh, some work. Even without wings/fence they've got to weigh 300 pounds? I guess you could pull the motor or table if needed but that's kind of a chore.

Best money I ever spent was a $200 harbor freight pallet jack. By chance it happens to juuuuust fit under the bottom stretchers on my workbenchand I have most of my machines up on 4x6 sleepers so it's easy to rearrange.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
maybe a bit of a stretch but anyone know of like, a chargeable battery generator that could run a welder? nothing crazy, but it would be nice to not have to lug an insane gas generator out to do field repairs etc

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

maybe a bit of a stretch but anyone know of like, a chargeable battery generator that could run a welder? nothing crazy, but it would be nice to not have to lug an insane gas generator out to do field repairs etc

You mean like a battery pack? As far a portable electricity they best most compact form you are going to find is a gas generator (unless you're the US government and have access to atoms). Any battery pack large enough to run a welder would be as big as a portable gas generator.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fronius has a battery powered tig/stick welder (it’s expensive though) and there are a couple companies that make trail welders you can run off a pair of car batteries. Can’t remember the name but it looks like a spoolgun. No idea how well any of them work.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Several 12v car batteries and a set of stick welder cables?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

cakesmith handyman posted:

Several 12v car batteries and a set of stick welder cables?

Fun fact: apparently during the early stages of the "Star Wars" weapons program the US Air Force needed a quick discharge high voltage power supply for railgun development. Their solution was to drive to the local auto shops and buy all the batteries they could find, put them in a trailer, and wire them all in parallel.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Does anybody have any recommendations on good carpentry chisels?

Numinous
May 20, 2001

College Slice

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Put it in a truck.

Life... finds a way.

So, let me get this straight. You lifted all that stuff - with your hands? How many people?

I bought a Sawstop PCS31230-TGP (3HP, 220V) this summer and I ended up building a frame around the main base of the saw and a hoist frame at the top of the stairs connected to a 1ton chain hoist.

I wish I took pics so I could show you guys - but maneuvering that down a narrow staircase I thought was nigh impossible even with multiple people. The base cabinet piece was about 330lbs.

I bow to your superior moving skills my friend.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Weka posted:

Does anybody have any recommendations on good carpentry chisels?

Stanley Sweetheart?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You'd have better luck asking in the woodworking thread. I believe the standard "good but not insanely expensive" recommendation is Narex.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You'd have better luck asking in the woodworking thread. I believe the standard "good but not insanely expensive" recommendation is Narex.

I concur

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Chris Schwarz recommends made in the USA buck brothers as the cheapest chisel you can do woodworking with. I have a set, and they work well, and are cheap enough to abuse. Seems like a solid choice for carpentry. (Home Depot has two sets, make sure you get the made unusable professional set. https://www.homedepot.com/p/100067444)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
There is a big overlap (unless I'm missing something) in tools included with both sets, but man are they sexy looking. Looking to get some tools for electronics as the cheap crap I have that I bought like 10 years ago just breaks at the slightest hint of torque as well as rounds screws... €120 is a good chunk of money they, but at the same time I guess these will last me a lifetime and save a ton a aggrevation.

Anything obvious missing from these sets?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

LightRailTycoon posted:

Chris Schwarz recommends made in the USA buck brothers as the cheapest chisel you can do woodworking with. I have a set, and they work well, and are cheap enough to abuse. Seems like a solid choice for carpentry. (Home Depot has two sets, make sure you get the made unusable professional set. https://www.homedepot.com/p/100067444)

Note too that chisels aren't typically "ready to go" straight outta the package.

I followed this as a guide when I got a cheap set
https://youtu.be/t5oehMku94c

They work fine now for my needs maybe they don't hold an edge quite as well as an expensive set but once you get them set up properly it takes like a minute to resharpen them.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
Cheers all, I've asked in the woodworking thread. Looking for something with a full tang and steel buttplate so that rules out all of the posted options I think.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Numinous posted:

So, let me get this straight. You lifted all that stuff - with your hands? How many people?

I bought a Sawstop PCS31230-TGP (3HP, 220V) this summer and I ended up building a frame around the main base of the saw and a hoist frame at the top of the stairs connected to a 1ton chain hoist.

I wish I took pics so I could show you guys - but maneuvering that down a narrow staircase I thought was nigh impossible even with multiple people. The base cabinet piece was about 330lbs.

I bow to your superior moving skills my friend.

Most of the time, one but two for the big stuff I couldn't dismantle.

I'm a determined little poo poo sometimes.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Weka posted:

Cheers all, I've asked in the woodworking thread. Looking for something with a full tang and steel buttplate so that rules out all of the posted options I think.

Get a set you like, break off the handle casings, and mod them to your specifications?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc
I've had a new boss for a couple of weeks and the dude just sent me $50 on Amazon from his own pocket.

This calls for vengeance.

I'm going to have to make him something.

Time to get myself a new chisel and an incra ruler.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Weka posted:

I think Narex has some - certainly they have ones with a steel ferrule and hoop meant for striking. On the Narex site some descriptions are mixed up, so you need to select Czech to see the English description and vice-versa.

Not what you’re looking for but I got their set of butt chisels (not meant to be hammered) and the steel is fantastic - they’re great for all the little paring tasks that would otherwise involve accidentally driving a Stanley knife into your thumb.

Does anyone have detail sander recommendations? I’m not as patient at the sanding part of making things as I should be, and I could do with something small and relatively quiet for the initial finishing on small parts.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I need a planer. I need to thin down some wood planks so I can put them up against our wood fence (between the vertical posts and the fence slats) to use as retaining wall material for some dirt I need to put there (b/c for some reason my idiot dad told our new fence builders not to replace the retaining boards from our old fence because he was stupid and didn’t know what they were for), and the planks I got are just slightly too thick to fit back there and I need to plane them down so they’ll fit and none of the hardware stores in my area rent planers and “community wood shops” are not a thing at all where I live.

... also it might be good to have a planer for woodworking poo poo later.

Recommend me a planer. Minimum 10” wide if it’s not portable b/c that’s how long my planks are.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 4, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

I need a planer. I need to thin down some wood planks so I can put them up against our wood fence (between the vertical posts and the fence slats) to use as retaining wall material for some dirt I need to put there (b/c for some reason my idiot dad told our new fence builders not to replace the retaining boards from our old fence because he was stupid and didn’t know what they were for), and the planks I got are just slightly too thick to fit back there and I need to plane them down so they’ll fit and none of the hardware stores in my area rent planers and “community wood shops” are not a thing at all where I live.

... also it might be good to have a planer for woodworking poo poo later.

Recommend me a planer. Minimum 10” wide if it’s not portable b/c that’s how long my planks are.

why not return said planks and get the proper thickness (if it exists)? I know I know.. :effort: so lets buy power tools.

pretty much I believe this one is the bog standard of Good Planers for home woodshop use
https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-15-Amp-Corded-12-1-2-in-Planer-DW734/100634640

I don't have experience with this one.. but might be decent for a lower budget
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Grizzly-Industrial-13-in-2-HP-Benchtop-Planer-G0889/314835096?MERCH=REC-_-pipsem-_-100634640-_-314835096-_-N

edit: They don't rent them because one idiot sends a board with a nail through it and now you get to replace the blades at a decent cost and labor time because the next guy's going to get their wood ruined.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jan 4, 2021

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

tater_salad posted:

why not return said planks and get the proper thickness (if it exists)? I know I know.. :effort: so lets buy power tools.

... because the proper thickness doesn’t exist? The planks are about 1” thick now, which is only about 1/8” to 1/4” too thick, and anything thinner than that probably wouldn’t be thick enough to hold the dirt in.

I mean I can look (again; for the 5th time) for proper-thickness wood, I’d certainly rather get that than buy a whole planer, but I very extremely strongly doubt I’m gonna succeed in finding it.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jan 4, 2021

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

... because the proper thickness doesn’t exist? The planks are about 1” thick now, which is only about 1/8” to 1/4” too thick, and anything thinner than that probably wouldn’t be thick enough to hold the dirt in.

I mean I can look (again; for the 5th time) for proper-thickness wood, I’d certainly rather get that than to buy a whole planer, but I very extremely strongly doubt I’m gonna succeed in finding it.

Can you post a pic of where it's going so we can visualize the issue? I'm having a hard time visualising what you are trying to do and why the thickness of the board makes a difference.

How old's the fence? I mean dimensional lumber has been a thing for a long time (longer than I'd think a fence would exist for) I find it hard to think that a "one by" was not there before. A "one by" would be around 3/4 inch thick unless what you bought wasn't actual dimensional lumber or was a "Two by" which would be around 1.5"

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 4, 2021

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

I. M. Gei posted:

I mean I can look (again; for the 5th time) for proper-thickness wood, I’d certainly rather get that than buy a whole planer, but I very extremely strongly doubt I’m gonna succeed in finding it.

Most real lumber yards will also plane down lumber to your exact requirements.....for a small fee sure, but certainly cheaper than buying a planer that you *may* use in the future.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I hear wood buried in dirt and planer in the same breath and cringe. Are you using pressure treated lumber...in which case your planer blades are hosed and will need a serious cleaning if not replaced. Are you using non pressure treated lumber...in which case your boards are hosed in a year and will need to be replaced.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Look at ask jeeves here with the next set of issues.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
If it's getting buried and consequently does not need to look good, just get some half inch plywood and cut the poo poo to the appropriate size

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

tater_salad posted:

How old's the fence?

It’s brand new, less than a year old.

tater_salad posted:

I mean dimensional lumber has been a thing for a long time (longer than I'd think a fence would exist for) I find it hard to think that a "one by" was not there before. A "one by" would be around 3/4 inch thick unless what you bought wasn't actual dimensional lumber or was a "Two by" which would be around 1.5"

I just checked again and neither my local Lowes or Home Depot have the right-thickness lumber in stock. Everything is either not ground contact treated, or out of stock/unavailable.

Having said that, I searched for nominal 3/4” thickness only, since the wood I already bought is nominal 1”. I can check for nominal 1/2” but I worry that that might be slightly too thin for good structural integrity (although it’s only a 1/4” difference and I don’t have anything solid to base my fear on so maybe I’m wrong?).

tater_salad posted:

Can you post a pic of where it's going so we can visualize the issue? I'm having a hard time visualising what you are trying to do and why the thickness of the board makes a difference.

Hang on, let me go grab one...

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

I. M. Gei posted:

For a retaining wall? You'd be better advised to get exterior grade plywood and rip it to width. The thicknesses can be 1/2", 5/8", and 3/4". Whatever is butting against dirt is going to be subject to rot and/or termites, etc.

edit- If you insist on getting a planer, the portable DeWalt 12" is pretty well regarded.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Or if you don't care about :homebrew: get some Trex or your fake wood of choice.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

It’s brand new, less than a year old.

I just checked again and neither my local Lowes or Home Depot have the right-thickness lumber in stock. Everything is either not ground contact treated, or out of stock/unavailable.

Having said that, I searched for nominal 3/4” thickness only, since the wood I already bought is nominal 1”. I can check for nominal 1/2” but I worry that that might be slightly too thin for good structural integrity (although it’s only a 1/4” difference and I don’t have anything solid to base my fear on so maybe I’m wrong?).

Hang on, let me go grab one...

As someone else mentioned if this is supposed to be ground contact you can't plane it. Full stop.

1. You can't really thickness plane wet wood you'll gently caress your poo poo up (pressure treated is wet wood)

2. You don't want to use wood that you can plane because itll rot in 1-5 years. (But then again you'd need a planer so you can replace it over and over again). Maybe you can use and plane cedar.

Some questions.
1. How thick does it need to be?
2. Why does thickness matter that much (you said you were doing pictures so we'll see)
3. You said proper wood exists but is not available, why does it need to be done now now instead of waiting?

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Never mind.