Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

There's still a ton of voidsent in stasis and poo poo on board plus all kinds of systems deteriorating from age worse off after our rampage. We're probably better off starting from scratch than trying to salvage that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Well they did just spend half a patch talking about the Great Ship Limsa Lominsa

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Eox posted:

Well they did just spend half a patch talking about the Great Ship Limsa Lominsa

So you're saying the elevator in the Bulwark Hall has a secret down button that leads to the ancient allagan artifact that'll launch the entire city into the sky while draining all the aether out of vylbrand?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hunter Noventa posted:

So you're saying the elevator in the Bulwark Hall has a secret down button that leads to the ancient allagan artifact that'll launch the entire city into the sky while draining all the aether out of vylbrand?

It's the Great Ship Vylbrand now. We gonna get an entire floating island-battleship.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Argas posted:

There's still a ton of voidsent in stasis and poo poo on board plus all kinds of systems deteriorating from age worse off after our rampage. We're probably better off starting from scratch than trying to salvage that.

Think we're gonna use them as experiments in curing their darkness before we start trying to fix the thirteenth?

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Itzena posted:

I mean, I suppose it could go either way. If you're an immortal sorcerer of eld and you've just grabbed a random shard of your old pal and "restored" their memory, do you trust them to join you of their own free will, or do you schedule them for an induction course on the moon? The former means your faith in your cause is solid, and you assume that simply "waking them up" means of course they'd see it your way. The latter, that Zodiark's will must be enforced.

*moon elevator abruptly stops* The path you must take has been prepared for you...you have no choice but to rejoin the world

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I don’t know about you all but I am extremely loving excited to see whatever the next expansion ends up being. Shadowbringers completely blew my mind in a way I didn’t think was possible and this is THE conclusion they have been building toward for a decade. I hope it’s not disappointing, but I have faith in them to deliver. At this point though, I have zero clue how this is all going to play out in the end so I’m just excited to be excited.

It’s also nice because the expansion announcement comes the day after my birthday. So it’s like a little present to me.

Also - since all the fan fests are cancelled, we should just get one massive info drop since they don’t need to spread it across three events, so that will be nice too.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
I'm as excited for a story on par with Shadowbringers as I am to no longer get yelled at by the game when I open it.

DOOOOOOOGGGS
TIIINYY DOOOOOOOGGSSS

I assume that's what it's saying, anyway.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
Look at this low energy weenie, tiny dogs gets me hyped that I'm almost fully logged in

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I can't stop thinking about when the scions were like "those floating towers look like Garlean tech!" When like... no they don't. Not even remotely!!! Why did they say that lol

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Countblanc posted:

I can't stop thinking about when the scions were like "those floating towers look like Garlean tech!" When like... no they don't. Not even remotely!!! Why did they say that lol

I dunno, they're red and black with smooth metallic panelling rather than the weird quasi-organic poo poo the Mhachis used to use. They're pretty Garlean.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Man, ever since I did the content, I'm sad we probably won't get to take more part in the whole reclaiming the void thing, since it felt like more of a sendoff to Unulkalhai and our role quest friends, but rather deal with the much less interesting Fandaniel/Zenos stuff. I'm not even all that into the gundam/weapon stuff either.

Copycat Zero
Dec 30, 2004

ニャ~

Colgate posted:

Man, ever since I did the content, I'm sad we probably won't get to take more part in the whole reclaiming the void thing, since it felt like more of a sendoff to Unulkalhai and our role quest friends, but rather deal with the much less interesting Fandaniel/Zenos stuff. I'm not even all that into the gundam/weapon stuff either.

The fact that they gave the quests their own name, rather than just folding them in with the role quests or having them be "miscellaneous side quests" or whatever does imply that they intend to do more with the plot in a way that involves us. But, yeah, it's probably not making it into the MSQ, as people have mentioned, because of the role quest requirement.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Colgate posted:

Void quests felt like an obvious lead-in to a future expansion to me. "It may take years for us to figure this out!" was a flashing sign in my brain

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

the way the void quest concludes almost seems to be teasing the possibility of a time skip on the first? don't know whether they'd do that, a sort of anti-calamity localized on the first where you get to come back and check up on how they're rebuilding into the receding empty and stuff and continue the void quests to spread this prosperity to a world that's been taken for granted as lost would be cool

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Countblanc posted:

Yeah this was confusing. They look Mhachi!

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Badger of Basra posted:

Yeah this was confusing. They look Mhachi!

Maybe it's because they're made of metal and Garlemald does that more than Mhachi did? A lot of Mhachi stuff looks like (bizarrely worked, organically carved) stone rather than cermet.

CYBEReris posted:

the way the void quest concludes almost seems to be teasing the possibility of a time skip on the first? don't know whether they'd do that, a sort of anti-calamity localized on the first where you get to come back and check up on how they're rebuilding into the receding empty and stuff and continue the void quests to spread this prosperity to a world that's been taken for granted as lost would be cool

Clearly the solution will be to collapse the Void and the Empty into a single semi-functioning world. :P

Honestly I'm actually wondering how much the Empty was restored. The little oasis around Eden is to all appearances a paradise, but you can still see large swathes of what looks like salt flats - which I appreciate, to be clear ; I like that even after fixing parts of the Empty and bringing the First back from the brink the unearthly scars remain. But it instantly made plants grow back in the oasis. Would that entail animals, as well? Or is it just sort of a scoured, beautiful void?

Jetrauben fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Dec 22, 2020

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Jetrauben posted:

Honestly I'm actually wondering how much the Empty was restored. The little oasis around Eden is to all appearances a paradise, but you can still see large swathes of what looks like salt flats - which I appreciate, to be clear ; I like that even after fixing parts of the Empty and bringing the First back from the brink the unearthly scars remain. But it instantly made plants grow back in the oasis. Would that entail animals, as well? Or is it just sort of a scoured, beautiful void?

They tell you at the start of the Eden storyline that they're only restoring life to major nexuses of ley lines at first, and the effects of the restoration will slowly spread across the rest of the Empty. So it's probably going to be a long time, but we've set the process in motion.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

Cythereal posted:

They tell you at the start of the Eden storyline that they're only restoring life to major nexuses of ley lines at first, and the effects of the restoration will slowly spread across the rest of the Empty. So it's probably going to be a long time, but we've set the process in motion.

I'm more wondering like, does this just include plants, or does it include animal life as well? 'Cause a planet without meaningful animal life across 90% of its surface is gonna be hosed for a looooong time.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Colgate posted:

I'm not even all that into the gundam/weapon stuff either.

I started to feel a bit bad about being such a stick-in-the mud to Cid about his Gundam in dialogue.

Not enough to stop though.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Jetrauben posted:

I'm more wondering like, does this just include plants, or does it include animal life as well? 'Cause a planet without meaningful animal life across 90% of its surface is gonna be hosed for a looooong time.

probably just plants at first, and the animal life will have to spread out from Norvrandt over time

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jetrauben posted:

It is a planet with literal magic fairies. They'll be fine.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

I have a Ph.D. in Theoretical Aetherology and according to Fox's Theory of Repolarization it should take at least three expansion packs for the Empty to be replenished enough to support a healthy ecosystem.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Never underestimate the power of magic lesbians and their effect on the global ecosystem.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Chillgamesh posted:

I have a Ph.D. in Theoretical Aetherology and according to Fox's Theory of Repolarization it should take at least three expansion packs for the Empty to be replenished enough to support a healthy ecosystem.

How many porxies should I bring?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Yeah, the pixies are just going to keep turning people into animals and plants until the balance of nature is restored; it's gonna be fine.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

How many porxies should I bring?

Just one big one with a crown.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Didn't they say that if your body's been physically changed by tempering you're too far gone

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

They can possibly repair the mental effects but not the physical ones.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

"We brought life back to the world, but some things should have been left sleeping."
Camera pans over a namazu body that stands up and begins waddling toward civilization.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Didn't they say that if your body's been physically changed by tempering you're too far gone

Just that they can't undo the physical changes. So even if you're freed from Leviathan's thrall, you'll still be a horrible fishman, for example.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Just that they can't undo the physical changes. So even if you're freed from Leviathan's thrall, you'll still be a horrible fishman, for example.

And that was specifically accompanied with a "well, I'm not giving up on them yet" from Alisaie, so it's probably not an ironclad truth of the setting.

Also, man, it was kind of disconcerting to realize that all the primal adds I've killed used to be people.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

The dragondude in Ishgard Restoration is a painful reminder of how many archaeornis dragons I have skinned for crafting.

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS

CYBEReris posted:

*moon elevator abruptly stops* The path you must take has been prepared for you...you have no choice but to rejoin the world
All the Black Rose is gone now, though. :haw:

Jetrauben posted:

The little oasis around Eden is to all appearances a paradise
You could, in fact, call it a garden of Eden.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I assumed that the towers looked Garlean for construction reasons that we aren't educated enough to see/the game can't render. I'm willing to just take the game's word for that part.

What they haven't explained is how they all just suddenly appeared out of nowhere, and while I'm sure that'll be explained, it's weird that nobody's asking that question in-universe.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Cleretic posted:

I assumed that the towers looked Garlean for construction reasons that we aren't educated enough to see/the game can't render. I'm willing to just take the game's word for that part.

What they haven't explained is how they all just suddenly appeared out of nowhere, and while I'm sure that'll be explained, it's weird that nobody's asking that question in-universe.

Whatever phrase it was that Fandaniel used to Zenos led me to believe he shot them into the ground, possibly from the moon, and they grew.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
I like to imagine that the towers had always been there. And that the present reactions are simply the sudden panicked realization that, up until now, everyone had just assumed that someone *else* knew what they were all about.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The cutscene where they appear has a guard say "thank God you can see them too, I was on patrol and it was just... there." I'm not sure how you can say nobody's asking the question when it's the first thing they asked. The current answer is just "I dunno."

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Ragnarok...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJ4aa-q2GRg

(I would find the Big Whale acceptable as well)

Edit: what happened to the void ark, i literally remember none of the cutscenes in that series lol

I'm hoping Fandanny and his Telophoroi™ are summoning a Lunar Cry and also a Lunatic Pandora proxy, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I'm hoping the next expansion ends up closing the time loop alluded to at the end of the Alexander raids, Mide and whoever still need to get thrown back in time if memory serves. Maybe we let him out of the bubble just long enough to lift us up to the moon.