Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

if you think that's good:
https://twitter.com/comradealexia/status/1341130942946000897?s=20

We don't monitor likes. Also I'm recording the names of my followers who are liking this tweet.

Party for
Spooks and
Law Enforcement

"we don't monitor likes, but here's how we monitor likes"

:thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I guess I can see some value in someone keeping an eye out on social media use. Like, in case someone's leaking internal documents or posting personal information about other members or something. But for wrongthink? No thanks.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the important question is what were they even talking about where someone blew up and said 'i dont wanna hear that from a cis person', but in sure the answer is all these people are very online and annoying, and dont understand at all what Mao was talking about when it came to party discipline

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Larry Parrish posted:

the important question is what were they even talking about where someone blew up and said 'i dont wanna hear that from a cis person', but in sure the answer is all these people are very online and annoying, and dont understand at all what Mao was talking about when it came to party discipline

My understanding from cruising twitter is that the topic was about transphobia within the organization and La Riva's position was there wasn't any.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Is this not an obvious logical extension of democratic centralism? Can't publicly deviate from the party line. Can't publicly criticize the party.

I don't subscribe to that viewpoint myself, but nobody should be shocked at the PSL monitoring its members social media activity

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

And people called the ISO cultish. Christ

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

christmas boots posted:

My understanding from cruising twitter is that the topic was about transphobia within the organization and La Riva's position was there wasn't any.

lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Here we go. I don't know anything about this person so I don't know if their version is accurate or if they themselves are without internet drama sin but there are at least a couple of other people on twitter who said they were on the call and it did happen.

https://twitter.com/punk_bolshevik/status/1341093875172200450?s=20

https://twitter.com/punk_bolshevik/status/1341094229758636035?s=20

Looking at their timeline it sounds like one of the main complaints is that the people attempting to use the party's processes to handle these things internally are purged out it. Is that true? No loving idea, but that's the claim.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

I'm reading about the Jakarta Method right now, and it feels like being on social media at all for leftists is a dumb idea. Social media is basically just surveillance technology that's been privatized and redirected towards advertising. A lot of the work by anti-communist forces historically has been creating and maintaining lists of suspected communists, and now communists openly declare themselves on platforms owned by US contractors.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
When I was in DSA, I tossed the idea that chapter leadership should have to stop using public personal Twitter accounts while they were acting as leaders. Half baked but it got people really mad very fast because what is the point of chapter leadership if not for clout?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we absolutely shouldn't be on social media, definetly not with real names, but how are you going to prove how cool you are irl???

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
social media, and by extension twitter specifically, is responsible for the radicalization of a lot of people over the last 10 years. you weirdos who just constantly keep your internet radio tuned to the leftist drama and infighting station have poisoned your own brains so severely that it seems to be the only thing you can see anymore.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.
the ability of Posters to conflate Normal People Doing Normal Things with "clout chasing" rivals the right's ability to project their deepest desires onto their enemies' actions. perhaps try logging off for once in your life?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

the defender of social media has logged in

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

Atrocious Joe posted:

I'm reading about the Jakarta Method right now, and it feels like being on social media at all for leftists is a dumb idea. Social media is basically just surveillance technology that's been privatized and redirected towards advertising. A lot of the work by anti-communist forces historically has been creating and maintaining lists of suspected communists, and now communists openly declare themselves on platforms owned by US contractors.

For all the valid problems about Amber Frost she had a really good article about this
https://catalyst-journal.com/vol4/no2/the-poisoned-chalice-of-hashtag-activism

I think people in leftist organization really need to have a deep discussion about how useful social media actually is. In it's present form it is the most extreme form of social alienation possible, and Internet Leftist types probably cause much more harm than any help.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

social media, and by extension twitter specifically, is responsible for the radicalization of a lot of people over the last 10 years.

i don't have a horse in this race but "social media is important for radicalizing us" and "you need to log out of social media cause you're too online" coming from the same post is a big lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

social media, and by extension twitter specifically, is responsible for the radicalization of a lot of people over the last 10 years. you weirdos who just constantly keep your internet radio tuned to the leftist drama and infighting station have poisoned your own brains so severely that it seems to be the only thing you can see anymore.

as a zoomer ive never had a single positive interaction like that online. im a communist because of my life experience not because some dipshit tweeted out 'omg landlords suck'

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
drat didn't realize there were other Zoomers here.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Johnny Truant posted:

i don't have a horse in this race but "social media is important for radicalizing us" and "you need to log out of social media cause you're too online" coming from the same post is a big lol

it's almost as if it is a nuanced issue and that reducing it to a simple binary for the sake of a Spicy Web Take is part of the initial problem!!

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Larry Parrish posted:

as a zoomer ive never had a single positive interaction like that online.

sorry for your loss. perhaps you should consider the constant in this equasion

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

the ability of Posters to conflate Normal People Doing Normal Things with "clout chasing" rivals the right's ability to project their deepest desires onto their enemies' actions. perhaps try logging off for once in your life?

This may be way off misremembering but are you dharrisburg

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Or another phiz poster

elephants on acid
Mar 1, 2012

Chomskyan posted:

Is this not an obvious logical extension of democratic centralism? Can't publicly deviate from the party line. Can't publicly criticize the party.

I don't subscribe to that viewpoint myself, but nobody should be shocked at the PSL monitoring its members social media activity

It's a bastardization of democratic centralism that is more akin to wartime communist policy rather than anything Lenin would have supported in a non-revolutionary period.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

democratic centralism really does not have to be more than basic discipline, I.e. don't leak internal discussions, accept that you occasionally lose internal battles, stay outwardly united even if you don't like someone in the organisation

in the circumstance of an illegal organisation it obviously requires more active and rigid discipline, but the basic principles of democratic centralism are very important to consider for any functioning political party

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

How do people even get to the point of joining an org like PSL? Even that twitter post from the lady about how she monitors people’s tweets is creepy as hell, and a huge part of that is how she seems to think she’s saying something perfectly reasonable. There’s no way I’d even consider being alone in a room with someone like that, let alone feel like an org full of those people are comrades worth trusting.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Larry Parrish posted:

as a zoomer ive never had a single positive interaction like that online. im a communist because of my life experience not because some dipshit tweeted out 'omg landlords suck'

how did you find this website, infant? a museum of some kind???

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

elephants on acid posted:

It's a bastardization of democratic centralism that is more akin to wartime communist policy rather than anything Lenin would have supported in a non-revolutionary period.
Unsurprising since PSL are actually trots that think they are MLs

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

haha I gave Gloria my vote and she's actually managed to make me regret that. Good job rear end in a top hat i'm literally wishing i could unfill a meaningless bubble and un-mail that ballot and un-fix the ballot challenge

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

christmas boots posted:

playing video games op

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014

christmas boots posted:

For me it was the let's play subforum.

elephants on acid
Mar 1, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

How do people even get to the point of joining an org like PSL? Even that twitter post from the lady about how she monitors people’s tweets is creepy as hell, and a huge part of that is how she seems to think she’s saying something perfectly reasonable. There’s no way I’d even consider being alone in a room with someone like that, let alone feel like an org full of those people are comrades worth trusting.

I know my local branch to be principled communists and all around excellent people. The resignations I've seen on Twitter mostly say the same thing. The issue seems to be with national holding different standards for themselves, failing to keep up with the times and employing unnecessarily authoritarian measures to cover for those things. Reminds me of how Soviet Union leadership aged out of relevancy.

elephants on acid has issued a correction as of 03:13 on Dec 23, 2020

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Don't they kind of require education/training for membership, too? Like I know you can't just join like the DSA?

I talked to them at Seattle Trans Pride 2019 and they kinda sucked. I wasn't about to get involved to the degree they seemed to want, and anyone that commits enough to do that poo poo will more or less feel invested enough to endure bullshit unthinkable to someone that's not on the inside.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

ToxicAcne posted:

For all the valid problems about Amber Frost she had a really good article about this
https://catalyst-journal.com/vol4/no2/the-poisoned-chalice-of-hashtag-activism

I think people in leftist organization really need to have a deep discussion about how useful social media actually is. In it's present form it is the most extreme form of social alienation possible, and Internet Leftist types probably cause much more harm than any help.

Frost is good when she's done the research and isn't using edgy statements to keep the reader's attention. I like the ending to this especially.

quote:

Any information or activity more complicated and less disposable than a hashtag will eventually require stable institutions that can grow, build, and recruit in real space and real time. These institutions do not resemble the tyrannically structureless and voluntarist cattle calls of whatever fleeting online mob has made the rounds this week. Any use of the internet for movement-building should be considered with the ultimate goal of social media’s obsolescence, and its supplantation by unions, parties, and political organizations.

Activism must return to the traditional strategies of organizing and institution-building that have demonstrated a true record of success. This work will not move quickly, and most of it won’t be cinematic or produce a flurry of media attention, online or off. Most important, it cannot rely on the very platforms over which we have the least amount of control. Some seem to think that social media will act as the proverbial capitalist that sells us its own hanging rope — and this does have some small truth in it, to the degree it can be used as a bulletin board for promoting real-life events, but such organizing is the most flimsy and minor outreach. A desperate activist tweets. An aspiring activist uses Facebook. A fledgling organizer emails. An established organizer has phone numbers. A successful organizer is offered addresses.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/Svevan/status/1341486777303896064?s=20
Agree with this article that the org needs restructured completely

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Mr. Lobe posted:

the defender of social media has logged in

to hell with all of these things, post more pictures of your dinner and of your cats

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
those had better be different pictures!

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The identification of Twitter itself as the engine of radicalization and not the actual material circumstances that would have led people to seek out explanations for those circumstances is really boneheaded

You could argue that in a hypothetical world where Twitter never came to be and the blogosphere had persisted instead as the primary form of online engagement would be a better place to be insofar as Twitter as a medium actively strips the context and nuance out of any given statement where long form argument allows for a greater degree of efficacy in communication

It's why Twitter is basically the perfect place to self-caricaturize any argument or thought you might have and why it's so easy to merely post a tweet with no commentary and the statement appears self-evidently stupid

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Ease of access to easily digested information is asbolutely in play as one of the major factors for the rebirth and rise of the left in the United States and to discount it is mistaken; however the powers that be have already identified this and have been trying to choke it out for the better part of a decade, so the time in which the internet will be a useful vector for the transmission of this information is passing and nearly passed already; we need other solutions for sure.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I love restructuring. Surely THIS time when we empower/de-emphasize/centralize/abolish the working groups and committees we'll get automated luxury gay space communism.

Let's form a restructuring working group, study our options for 6 months, make the change, and then have the new leadership a year from now start their own restructuring efforts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Only if it comes with a new priorities document that had been struggle-sessioned for 1,000 hours to go with it.