Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

Also the Romulans of all people had a delegation at the signing of the Khitomer Accords. Pretty sure anyone who wanted to could show up and chip in ideas as part of the “negotiations”.
I mean that makes a lot of sense though. Romulan space borders Federation and Klingon Space. For an Empire whose defining characteristic is their border with the Federation, the Federation suddenly having access to a new border feels like a huge deal and something the Romulans would start a war over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so was the Sword of Kahless magic and it made Worf and Kor act the way they did, or are we supposed to believe circumstances made them both act like jerks?

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

It was a religious and cultural relic with massive importance to their culture.

Imagine finding like the Chinese Imperial Seal or the Ark of the Covenant today. Sure, maybe most people wouldn't give a gently caress but some people would go apeshit over it.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

8one6 posted:

Imagine finding like the Chinese Imperial Seal or the Ark of the Covenant today. Sure, maybe most people wouldn't give a gently caress but some people would go apeshit over it.

If I remember correctly, the writer of the episode was astonished to learn that so many fans had assumed the sword must be emitting psionic waves or baloneytron particles or something to make the characters act all weird and jealous, when that was never the intention.

Personally, I think you can look at it either way and it'll still work fine. Choose your headcanon.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Powered Descent posted:

baloneytron particles

Braga, burned out and coked up circa Voyager season 6: “gently caress it, use that”

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

If I remember correctly, the writer of the episode was astonished to learn that so many fans had assumed the sword must be emitting psionic waves or baloneytron particles or something to make the characters act all weird and jealous, when that was never the intention.

This is right - the writers thought it would take something away from their motivations if the sword was literally magic.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Timeless Appeal posted:

I mean that makes a lot of sense though. Romulan space borders Federation and Klingon Space. For an Empire whose defining characteristic is their border with the Federation, the Federation suddenly having access to a new border feels like a huge deal and something the Romulans would start a war over.

Also I looked up the Romulan ambassador from Star Trek 6 on Memory Alpha to make that poo poo post and apparently there's a bunch of cut or inferred content that basically says he's actually the real villain of the movie who orchestrated the whole conspiracy because it would result in a weakened Federation and Klingon Empire and an ascendant Romulus and nobody tweaks to it because Chang is such a bombastic oxygen devouring rear end in a top hat he commands all the attention. It thought that was a pretty neat detail.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

nine-gear crow posted:

Also I looked up the Romulan ambassador from Star Trek 6 on Memory Alpha to make that poo poo post and apparently there's a bunch of cut or inferred content that basically says he's actually the real villain of the movie who orchestrated the whole conspiracy because it would result in a weakened Federation and Klingon Empire and an ascendant Romulus and nobody tweaks to it because Chang is such a bombastic oxygen devouring rear end in a top hat he commands all the attention. It thought that was a pretty neat detail.

Hmmm. I like it but I think it's stronger without this detail. It would have taken it from "the enemy is war itself" to just another "there's another even worse bad guy pulling the strings." It diminishes the motivations of the Fed/Klingon conspirators.

Plus it weakens the irony/social commentary of enemies working together in secret so they can keep fighting one another.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 22, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Valaris names the Romulan Ambassador as a conspirator so it's still in the film that he's involved in an unstated way. It's just a little subtle thing that's in there.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Valaris names the Romulan Ambassador as a conspirator so it's still in the film that he's involved in an unstated way. It's just a little subtle thing that's in there.

Yeah, I like the detail that he was in the mix because it makes the world of the film seem a little bigger, just not the notion that he was the ultimate puppetmaster behind the whole thing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

multijoe posted:

Really Starfleet should have just rolled up several fleets, parked them outside the wormhole and put up a NO ENTRY sign on the other side. After the Dominion destroy the Odyssey there's no reason to treat them as anything other than an openly hostile power and IIRC they never even make attempts to simmer down relations with the Federation prior to the war
This would have, in hindsight, probably been justifiable, but now you aren't saying "The Federation will honor their agreements, and if some maniac starship captain goes into business for himself we will make it right," you are saying "The Federation will honor their agreements as long as they are convenient."

You also got the concern that doing this makes the Cardassians go "Why are you stationing a large battle fleet this close to our borders?" probably followed by "Oh, the Federation is CRUELLY forcing us to (go reconquer Bajor/conquer someone else/bomb Betazed) by the presence of their naval buildup!" And of course the moment the feds go to deal with that bullshit, that is when the Dominion attacks.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yeah, I like the detail that he was in the mix because it makes the world of the film seem a little bigger, just not the notion that he was the ultimate puppetmaster behind the whole thing.

Yeah, the implication I take is that Chang and Cartwright sat down the Romulan Ambassador and said something like "We're going to throw down. Here's the plot so you don't start freaking out over the heads of state of the Federation and Klingon Empire's getting assassinated, also don't make the mistake of thinking we're going to fall into chaos and you can take advantage of it - the transfer of power has already been worked out. Just stay the gently caress out of our fight and don't say anything".

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

8one6 posted:

I think if you found the Ark of the Covenant and it started killing people who touch it or making the River Jordan dry up, everyone would go apeshit over it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBFKsp0EglA

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

HD DAD posted:

Braga, burned out and coked up circa Voyager season 6: “gently caress it, use that”

Season 6, nothing. "WARP PARTICLES!!"

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Powered Descent posted:

Well, you know, Worf has always been clearly set up as the kind of guy who'd betray and murder a comrade for his own personal glory, so it's weird people thought he was under some alien influence.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

are we supposed to believe Leyton had that one Red Squad cadet offed in "Paradise Lost", or do we think he really got sent away from Earth?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Nodosaur posted:

are we supposed to believe Leyton had that one Red Squad cadet offed in "Paradise Lost", or do we think he really got sent away from Earth?

he shows up in "Valiant" in season 6 and gets offed by the dominion. it also doesnt really mesh with leyton's character to kill off his loyal starfleet cadet force. he probably literally sent them off on a training exercise (or to do more terrorism) to get them away from sisko's questioning

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Fair enough.

Ah, the Shakaar/Kira plotline. You can tell it was just done to draw out the plot with her and Odo, on account they forgot to give him a personality.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
For some reason, I keep thinking Kyle MacLachlan would have made a really good Bajoran Love Interest of the Week.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Nodosaur posted:

Fair enough.

Ah, the Shakaar/Kira plotline. You can tell it was just done to draw out the plot with her and Odo, on account they forgot to give him a personality.

they gave kira some fuckin terrible love interests. somehow they managed to make a soft-spoken basically pacifist monk that capitulates to the main villain and a tall handsome grizzled terrorist cell leader that clobbers her out of the exact same cardboard

visitor actually acts them out too she doesnt phone it in, kinda feel bad for her

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Kira should've been visited by the sex ghost

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm pretty sure the fact that there are trill who were born and raised on their homeworld in Starfleet implies that they're part of the Federation.

Worf is only part of Starfleet because of some weird circumstances and being adopted

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

Verviticus posted:

they gave kira some fuckin terrible love interests. somehow they managed to make a soft-spoken basically pacifist monk that capitulates to the main villain and a tall handsome grizzled terrorist cell leader that clobbers her out of the exact same cardboard

visitor actually acts them out too she doesnt phone it in, kinda feel bad for her

I mean Dax did offer to set her up with Captain Boday but Kira refused so she’s not doing herself any favours either.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm pretty sure the fact that there are trill who were born and raised on their homeworld in Starfleet implies that they're part of the Federation.

Worf is only part of Starfleet because of some weird circumstances and being adopted

Ezri is explicitly from a non-Federation world and she's in Starfleet.

The Federation probably has lots of immigrants? It's a pretty nice place to live.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

McSpanky posted:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

In my fan fiction, the candle ghost is explained to be a lost rogue Changeling who assumes a gaseous state and is bound to the candle as punishment for attempting to seduce Kevin Uxbridge's wife

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

"Rules of Engagement" is a stupid episode.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Nodosaur posted:

Fair enough.

Actually, I remember reading that the writers more or less invented Shakaar because they regretted killing Li Nalas off in that 3-episode arc that begins season 2 - if you recall, Richard Beymer (who is legitimately talented and a badass and probably most well-known as Benjamin Horne on Twin Peaks) played that character, and actually pulled off the whole "soft-spoken with an oversized reputation" thing that Shakaar failed at. Kinda makes sense when you think about it that way. I think it was something like that Beymer would only do the role if it was *just* those 3 episodes, and they wanted him badly enough for the role that they figured "We can figure something else out aside from making Li Nalas Prime Minister!" but clearly they couldn't, in the end, hence Shakaar.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

McSpanky posted:

Instead she gets midnight calls from Dukat telling her that he hosed her mom.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fister Roboto posted:

Instead she gets midnight calls from Dukat telling her that he hosed her mom.

Sexghost, not sexpest :mad:

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

kaworu posted:

Actually, I remember reading that the writers more or less invented Shakaar because they regretted killing Li Nalas off in that 3-episode arc that begins season 2 - if you recall, Richard Beymer (who is legitimately talented and a badass and probably most well-known as Benjamin Horne on Twin Peaks) played that character, and actually pulled off the whole "soft-spoken with an oversized reputation" thing that Shakaar failed at. Kinda makes sense when you think about it that way. I think it was something like that Beymer would only do the role if it was *just* those 3 episodes, and they wanted him badly enough for the role that they figured "We can figure something else out aside from making Li Nalas Prime Minister!" but clearly they couldn't, in the end, hence Shakaar.

That makes sense; it definitely feels like Li Nalas, Bareil, and Shakaar are different drafts of the same character. Except the first draft was the best one.

Shakaar did seem to have more personality in his first episode when he had the different hair.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
What always bugged me was that in the early DS9 episodes, Kira would refer to fighting in "The Shakaar". And it sounded cool, like maybe Shakaar is the Bajoran word for resistance or rebellion, or it's some cultural or religious term; the equivalent of Hezbollah or Hamas.

But, nope, turns out it's just some guy's name. And her resistance cell was basically just "Bob's Rebels".

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Angry Salami posted:

What always bugged me was that in the early DS9 episodes, Kira would refer to fighting in "The Shakaar". And it sounded cool, like maybe Shakaar is the Bajoran word for resistance or rebellion, or it's some cultural or religious term; the equivalent of Hezbollah or Hamas.

But, nope, turns out it's just some guy's name. And her resistance cell was basically just "Bob's Rebels".

Also probably not a good idea to name a resistance cell after its leader.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Angry_Ed posted:

Also probably not a good idea to name a resistance cell after its leader.
Yeah that seems like really poor op-sec

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

McSpanky posted:

Season 6, nothing. "WARP PARTICLES!!"

I think Warp Particles was from S1E2

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

But seriously, “Rules of Engagement” has a Klingon lawyer who fails to make a case based on evidence and focuses entirely on Worf’s feelings. If that wasn’t enough, we’re supposed to believe it looks bad for Worf when his judgement comes down to a Vulcan of all people not only tolerating this guy’s constant ad hominem stunts, but that it also convinces her he might be guilty.

I’m sorry but... no, I just don’t like it.

There’s also the whole premise asking us to forget space isn’t 2D, but that’s normal for Star Trek.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Angry Salami posted:

On the other hand, the entire Maccabean Revolt is named after Judas Maccabeus.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

HD DAD posted:

For some reason, I keep thinking Kyle MacLachlan would have made a really good Bajoran Love Interest of the Week.

This would have ruled. And might still rule even though they’re both now senior citizens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I wish the guy who played Li Nalas had stuck around, I thought he was good

Bareil was too drat bland and Shakaar only made like 2/3 appearances so I could never get a good opinion on him