Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I love the way the demons slowly and gently flop over like a baby being put to bed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

I adore the Metro series.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sweet, guess I'll add the first 2 to my backlog once they're on sale on Switch again. I hear they're great ports.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Serious Sam 4 has updated to add a new player skin, a limited time Christmas event to find in the first level, and the return of Survival Mode.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh I had already forgotten that game came out

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
It’s very much “more of the same”. I don’t regret the purchase and I’m glad to see them continuing to support and iron out the bugs, but whereas DOOM and Wolfenstein and Shadow Warrior have been radically reinvented over the years, SS4 largely did what every installment before it did.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I haven’t played it yet but I’ve seen opinion of it just get more positive after the first week.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

It’s very much “more of the same”. I don’t regret the purchase and I’m glad to see them continuing to support and iron out the bugs, but whereas DOOM and Wolfenstein and Shadow Warrior have been radically reinvented over the years, SS4 largely did what every installment before it did.

It is kinda funny how little the Shadow Warrior Reboot has to do with the original besides having a main character named Lo Wang and a villain named Orochi Zilla, the differences in the arsenals between original and reboot probably being the most stark, original is mostly explosives, while reboot is heavy on regular guns and your sword is overall probably your most important weapon

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I haven’t played it yet but I’ve seen opinion of it just get more positive after the first week.

It didn’t have anywhere to go but up, honestly. It got savaged on initial impressions.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

drrockso20 posted:

It is kinda funny how little the Shadow Warrior Reboot has to do with the original besides having a main character named Lo Wang and a villain named Orochi Zilla,

i would say that beyond anything else there's probably a very good reason for this

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Convex posted:

This is on sale on Steam and is the best FPS campaign of the last few years imo

it's so, SO good, and BT fuckin slaps

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah. I had fun with SS4 myself, but it felt like they had grander ambitions for it, then had to scrap them and rush through finishing what they had to reach a deadline. The level design in particular feels rough. While the game obviously needs a lot of space for the horde battles, there's a lot of huge empty areas where there's no secrets and no battles. The differences from the previous game are mostly fluff. It's still worth playing, but probably best to wait for a sale.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

i would say that beyond anything else there's probably a very good reason for this

Well I meant besides the obvious changes needed to make Lo Wang not be a racist caricature

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Did I just imagine reading it, or did someone ITT mention that there’s a way to add WADs (other than Bethesda’s picks) to the Unity versions of Doom on Steam? Got a friend who’s interested in playing more Doom but she doesn’t wanna fiddle around with GZDoom configs and all that jazz.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

An interesting thread on Twitter about the troubles they’ve having making WRATH, from one of the level designers at 3D Realms:

https://twitter.com/skacky/status/1341665178363060224?s=21

Read the whole thread. It’s pretty interesting. I don’t have much experience with Q3 mapping but it sounds ... unpleasant.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009
i thought that game used q1. did they mash quake 3 in to a 1 source port (darkplaces)? o_O

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
He's accurate about Q3 mapping stuff, but really just emphasizing the parts they were unfamiliar with, or that were especially different from Q1 mapping, or that they were really pushing hard on with their ambitious maps.

If you were to list all the weird gotchas with e.g. Q1 mapping you'd be going on for a while as well.

e: yeah DarkPlaces supports loading q3bsp files.

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

I had no idea about being required to mark backfaces with a special texture to get them to cull properly. Why would the engine be designed that way? That seems so painful to deal with on an authoring basis.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
That's not required for culling in general. If you use a ton of detail brushes however, then there are cases where you do want to make sure to caulk surfaces that they completely obscure. (Any good Q3 editor has tools/flows to help with caulking.) It's not done automatically for surfaces partially hidden by detail because, especially back in the day, you might not want to incur the polygon cost from splitting up the surface in order to cull the tiny bit hidden by the detail brush... often you'd prefer to just eat the overdraw cost. The lightmap issues he discussed are another consideration that can play into that decision, but maybe not unless you are really going crazy marking stuff as detail because your map is terribly large and complex.

I think his point is less about the process details and perhaps more about the fact that expertise is harder to find for retro tech.

JLaw fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Dec 23, 2020

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

JLaw posted:

That's not required for culling in general. If you use a ton of detail brushes however, then there are cases where you do want to make sure to caulk surfaces that they completely obscure. (Any good Q3 editor has tools/flows to help with caulking.)

I think his point is less about the process details and perhaps more about the fact that expertise is harder to find for retro tech.

That's fair and understandable, yeah. I guess I was misinterpreting what he was saying. Maybe I should try some Q3 mapping sometime; it's something I have never played with AT ALL. Q1 and Q2? Sure, but never Q3.

Squeezy Farm
Jun 16, 2009

i didn't make it far in to dwell but am enjoying this. i've always liked the size restricted comps cause the mappers have to get inventive with the use of space.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Did anyone play through that Blade Runner Serious Sam mod? From the trailer it looked simultaneously impressive and not very fun, but maybe I'm wrong.

Pursued by bees
Jan 1, 2013

heartful of fire
with no one left to tell

Mordja posted:

Did anyone play through that Blade Runner Serious Sam mod? From the trailer it looked simultaneously impressive and not very fun, but maybe I'm wrong.

Haven't played it, but I watched a streamer play it for a while and those were my thoughts exactly. Looks mostly cool visually, but not fun to play at all.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Cat Machine posted:

Did I just imagine reading it, or did someone ITT mention that there’s a way to add WADs (other than Bethesda’s picks) to the Unity versions of Doom on Steam? Got a friend who’s interested in playing more Doom but she doesn’t wanna fiddle around with GZDoom configs and all that jazz.

Yeah I there should be a folder you can put any WADs into and load it from the games menu. Works on Bethesda launcher version as well, or anyplace you can browse and manipulate the files (Android?).

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Just keep in mind that unless the WAD is vanilla compatible, it probably won't work with the Bethesda port.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/1341752112301129728?s=20

Dang the guy that made the best retro revival FPS was only 4 when DOOM came out.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/1341752112301129728?s=20

Dang the guy that made the best retro revival FPS was only 4 when DOOM came out.

same

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Children shouldn't be allowed to post in this thread.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Pursued by bees posted:

Haven't played it, but I watched a streamer play it for a while and those were my thoughts exactly. Looks mostly cool visually, but not fun to play at all.

I can agree with this, it has some cool segments but the part where you're climbing up the side of a building was a little hard for me and the Spinner boss fight was hell because of the nearly unavoidable hitscan from the chain guns.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
I was only three. My first fps was chex quest though and from there I was hooked.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Keiya posted:

I was only three. My first fps was chex quest though and from there I was hooked.

Same on both(well possibly could have been Hexen first instead, not entirely sure) though I'll admit I didn't quite get hooked on the genre till Halo cause most of the computers in my childhood were kinda lovely

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I first played Doom via the SNES version and it still blew me away. The red cart it came on was rad.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Keiya posted:

I was around that age when Doom came out. I mentioned that I wasn't allowed to play FPSs until I was 16, but every once in a while I was able to play a bit of one, either out of the house (I didn't have any friends who played FPSs, but I remember playing Goldeneye at some sort of after-school thing or something), or when a relation just had some games and didn't care. My grandma had an iMac (look up 'iMac blue' and you'll find the one I'm thinking of) and I think I played the very littlest bit of Chex Quest (or did she get the disc and not realise it was for PC until I tried to install it? I feel like that happened at some point) and she had Marathon 2 but there was something up with that (or I was bad) and so whenever I tried to play it the camera looked down and refused to look back up.

And once I got my own lovely computer I would install demos off the discs my dad had accumulated through gaming mags late at night. For a while PC Gamer (I think, may have been CGW) had some old shareware FPSs on their discs, to fill out space perhaps. I know I tried the shareware of Doom and Duke3D at some point. But as I said, it wasn't until I was 16 when I was able to play them in general (there was a game based off Atlantis, that Disney movie, that came in a cereal box or something, I was allowed to play that at some point before then, but it was pretty lame), and I think the first one I played without having to look over my shoulder was Half-Life. Then came Half-Life 2 (the Orange Box was the first shooter I bought myself), FEAR, and Doom 3.

Then I pirated a copy of Doom 'cause it was easy, and was hooked. I eventually replaced the pirated copy I had with a copy of the Collector's Edition (with Doom 3 preview!) I found in a used book store.

And at some point I got Blood off of Abandonia and played the poo poo out of that copy until I found GOG, and found that GOG had Blood, so I joined up for that. Abandonia kicked rear end, I'm glad that companies are realising they can actually make money off their old stuff instead of hoarding it like a particularly vainglorious dragon, but those early days of "if they have an issue with it they can sell it themselves, otherwise gently caress off" was great.

Edit: Holy poo poo, I am so glad Civvie did a video on Catechumen. That's a weird one I read about in some gaming magazine.

catlord fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Dec 24, 2020

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Mordja posted:

So just like Blade Runner? :smug:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
While I can't speak to the mod itself nor have I seen the second movie, "fast paced FPS action" and "Blade Runner" don't sound like they go together to me.

Come back to me when they've replaced Mr. X in RE2 with a greased up, mostly-naked Rutger Hauer. :colbert:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn9SZHa8-RY

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

John Murdoch posted:

Come back to me when they've replaced Mr. X in RE2 with a greased up, mostly-naked Rutger Hauer. :colbert:
No Rutger Hauer but at least we have a speedo

https://www.nexusmods.com/residentevil22019/mods/42

yes that's an umbrella logo

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

And he puts in a guest appearance in the new/old hbomberguy video of all things (literally 49 minutes in) https://youtu.be/jbZo4x0NbbI

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Arivia posted:

And he puts in a guest appearance in the new/old hbomberguy video of all things (literally 49 minutes in) https://youtu.be/jbZo4x0NbbI

Holy poo poo, as soon as I finished watching Civvie's video I was watching hbomberguy's one and didn't reach that part, paused and read your quote. :pusheen:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

catlord posted:

(there was a game based off Atlantis, that Disney movie, that came in a cereal box or something, I was allowed to play that at some point before then, but it was pretty lame)
Oh, I remember that one! Yeah, it wasn't particularly good, and extremely janky in some spots; it didn't even have weapon models, you just kind of emanated energy balls of various colours. In retrospect I'm a bit surprised that Disney allowed an FPS to be the videogame version of one of their movies.