Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

MazelTovCocktail posted:

How good is Stardew? I get it’s like Harvest Moon, but also what makes it so good, I’ve seen a lot of people who like it.

Also does it require you to have to daily check on things or can it be at your own pace.

own pace. It runs very much like harvest moon and not like animal crossing. Time management is a big part of it, as well as replying and trying completely new strategies and poo poo

its an insane amount of game for the price, the console versions run great but will not be patched until jan 2021, only pc is updated today. Also theres tons of mods and hella people LP it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
There's an xbox knockoff called Forager.

Don't get Forager. Get Stardew Valley. Worth it.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

There's an xbox knockoff called Forager.

Don't get Forager. Get Stardew Valley. Worth it.

...????

they're extremely different games, forager's not trying to be stardew valley

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Most of what I got out of Forager was very similar, I think I spent around 3 hours playing it a few months ago. I'm probably misremembering.

I am misremembering it. I remember a lot of running around with a pick hitting poo poo.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 22, 2020

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I got stardew on a steam sale or a giveaway or something years ago and haven't played a minute of it. I think i might give it a shot...

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
I had never played a game like Stardew before, just not my genre, and here we are 100 hours later.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Same. I had never played any of the Harvest Moon titles or clones, and here I am

:cripes:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

oh man i wanna see the efficiency rating of your farm

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Stereotypical german efficiency has probably wrought something horrifying.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

tropico 5 free on epic today

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
stardew is good, and it's good on switch

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

yeah, its magical as a handheld game and runs great.

p much the perfect game when watching poo poo

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

yeah, its magical as a handheld game and runs great.

p much the perfect game when watching poo poo

Hmmm...sounds good for wfh duties. Not that any of us would play video games while working.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
Also if you like to play games on easy mode, Stardew has an absurdly easy item dupe glitch that works on every release.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

A Bad Poster posted:

Also if you like to play games on easy mode, Stardew has an absurdly easy item dupe glitch that works on every release.

Yeah but why cheat in a game you can't lose at? Even I don't feel the need to try to optimize runs because it doesn't matter. Just plant some cool poo poo and smack monsters in the mines.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Some people love to cheat, it's their thing.

I'm working on getting down to level 40 in the mines now that I have a gold pickaxe and steel sword of some sort.

Is irrigation eventually a thing or am I doomed to walk around with that drat water bucket for the rest of time? I could do so much more if I didn't have to water everything manually.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Yeah, you can craft sprinklers that'll eventually take care of huge chunks of land for you.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the only things i'd call 'cheat' that i do to stardew are mods to take out friendship decay and owl up my walk speed a little bit

aside from that it's all additive mods

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Naked Bear posted:

Yeah, you can craft sprinklers that'll eventually take care of huge chunks of land for you.

Excellent, thanks. I haven't spent a lot of time crafting, I need to start working on that.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Excellent, thanks. I haven't spent a lot of time crafting, I need to start working on that.

stock up your copper and iron bars for those

level 20-29 for copper mining, 40-49 for iron

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I have a small mountain of copper and iron ore, finally clicked over to winter so I've been in the mine a lot. Got down to level 40, so now I'm trying to hit bottom. I have 6 sprinklers set up already, but I'm not impressed with the basic one so I've got to pound out some gold and quartz before spring for the fancy poo poo.

I also set up crab pots, but keep forgetting to check them because it's a step from the mine.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Is Horizon Zero Dawn on the PC worthwhile?

I've been generally burned out on bigass open world games a la Witcher 3/Skyrim, but I recently played Control and enjoyed it a bunch. Have heard a lot of good things about HZD in general, but one of the reviews I read also mentioned there's a lot of crafting, and I don't want to go through the whole 'make 200 iron daggers' a la Skyrim ever again.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I think it's pretty meh.

Combat isn't terribly exciting and is very formulaic, story is fine but lost me (disclosure: I never finished it), voice acting is rough.

I found the idea and concept art a lot cooler than the execution.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I liked Horizon a lot. The crafting is basically gathering poo poo for one off upgrades like bigger pouches and, and if you can't find enough healing stuff out and about or don't want to pay for it then you have to make it.

Most of the stuff for crafting I gathered naturally, except for a few that I had to go out of my way for, and one where I actually had to look up where to find ducks.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

The Rat posted:

I've been generally burned out on bigass open world games a la Witcher 3/Skyrim, but I recently played Control and enjoyed it a bunch. Have heard a lot of good things about HZD in general, but one of the reviews I read also mentioned there's a lot of crafting, and I don't want to go through the whole 'make 200 iron daggers' a la Skyrim ever again.

Of the recent open world games, Cyberpunk is probably my favorite. You don't have to craft a thing if you don't want to and the voice acting is really good. I'm finding it less repetitive than AC: Vikings

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
My only issue with CP 2077 is driving using kb/mouse. I'm having fun just exploring the city.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

The Rat posted:

It's rough on PC without a good system, I'll say that much. I loved it on PS4, though.

mlmp08 posted:

I think it's pretty meh.

Combat isn't terribly exciting and is very formulaic, story is fine but lost me (disclosure: I never finished it), voice acting is rough.

This is the weirdest opinion I've ever seen on one of the most universally acclaimed video games in the past few years. But hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion even if it is utterly wrong

HZD is one of my favorite games of all time because the action is incredibly fun and satisfying, and the story is loving amazing.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

It's rough on PC without a good system, I'll say that much. I loved it on PS4, though.

This is the weirdest opinion I've ever seen on one of the most universally acclaimed video games in the past few years. But hey, everyone's entitled to their opinion even if it is utterly wrong

HZD is one of my favorite games of all time because the action is incredibly fun and satisfying, and the story is loving amazing.

I have a 3700X/RTX 3080 so I should be good there, I hope. Was able to run Control maxed out without complaint, at least.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
I really wanted to like HZD! Was excited to play it on PC with all the fancy visuals. I think part of the problem is that it was an original release type game, so it's comparatively aged compared to newer console to PC-port releases.

Things it had working against it:
-Most of the key/main voice actors are between fine and quite good! But a bunch of the side quest givers or smaller parts sound like they just let Ted from software design be in the game as a favor.
-The combat just didn't click. I know a lot of people like shooting components off of people and whatnot, but I just found it to become very rote to shoot X weapon type at Y component or just CC, then elemental, then damage, then CC again. If playing a game with kind of a rock, paper, scissors setup and damage points splashing on the screen, I prefer either faster by half (God of War, Cyberpunk 2077) or the quasi-turn-ish skills/spells-based action of Mass Effect 2.
-I had just played Death Stranding, where moving around the environment feels amazing, and it's gorgeously detailed. In comparison, doing the Aloy Hop to kind of glitch-hop all over the terrain is cheesy.
-I haven't given up on finishing the story, but it's to the point where when I do play it, i avoid random encounters to avoid the time sink of killing every pod I come across, and then race through missions as soon as possible.
-Grew tired of perpetually having to craft ammo. You quickly get to a point where you have effectively infinite resources, but you're always hitting buttons just to refill your ammo stocks, which can be done mid-fight.

I do think the snowy expansion area is very cool from having harder enemies and very pretty and unique locations! And the conceit itself is very cool, such that I do plan to speed-run my way through the story at some point.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

I think it's pretty meh.

Pretty much my feeling on it. There’s not a whole lot of cohesion between the two plots (the tribal stuff and the evil AI), and the sci-fi plot is more interesting but told mostly through audio logs. The writing for the tribal stuff is super uneven and I don’t think I ever gave a poo poo about where it was going.

The DLC is really great, though.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Dec 24, 2020

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Riot Carol Danvers posted:

depends how you define good system

I'm playing HZD at 1440p, 60 fps with almost all "high" graphics settings. On a 4-year old machine with an i7-6700 and GTX 1070.

Good game so far, but I'm not far in at all.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Syrian Lannister posted:

My only issue with CP 2077 is driving using kb/mouse. I'm having fun just exploring the city.

motorcycles >>>>> cars in CP2077

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Buy the armored Subaru Brat and you'll never have to care about vehicles again!

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Driving to a mission I was driving through a tunnel and picked up a slick black lamborghini looking thing in a shipping container and it's pretty drat good.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
The best car is the maimai

I want a drat nomad version of it

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Man, Doom Eternal is decidedly not good. They somehow managed to strip all the fun from the first one.

Some monsters/bosses were just obnoxious, and unavoidable mobs/getting blocked in a corner

Would have turned it off if I wasn’t so invested. It wasn’t the worst game, but I definitely won’t play through again.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It’ll feel a little janky until you’ve got all your tools, then suddenly you’re a god of combat sawing imps in half between force-feeding hot lead to a mancubus that you’ve set on fire with your meathook. The dash and meathook (combined with your double jump) make the ground almost optional in some arenas.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I resented that they tuned the game around using every one of the million systems and constantly switching weapons. It felt like a relief when I could get by just blasting everyone with a shotgun.

I don’t think I ever actually switched grenades or weapon mods mid-combat like they wanted you to.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Yea I just maxed out ammo first, and then abused my super shotgun and shotgun/grenade alt-fire. Extra health and armor don’t much matter when everything is dead! :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Icon Of Sin posted:

Yea I just maxed out ammo first, and then abused my super shotgun and shotgun/grenade alt-fire. Extra health and armor don’t much matter when everything is dead! :getin:

:hmmyes: