Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Lumpy posted:

Wipeout collection in VR is just amazing. Star Wars Squadrons is a can't miss in VR as well.

Wipeout Collection was one of the first games I played on PSVR. When I went flying off the track, my stomach dropped like I was really falling. Fun experience. I also agree with you on Star Wars Squadrons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

cubicle gangster posted:

I think completely redoing the combat means we can call it a remake. This isn't the exact same game running at 1080p.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdeByqqu6gg&t=1685s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MZ8UU_9dG8&t=55s

Original is much slower, a little clunkier - magic almost seems to pause combat or slow down time. the dodge is tighter keeping regular attacks much closer, whereas the remake seems to encourage more dramatic & fluid movement - presumably to balance that magic is better integrated so you can weave in and out more easily.
Plus all assets, geometry and textures have been completely remade from scratch. The only part of the original it's using is the story and designs.

oh okay, its remake. i never saw what the original looked like lmao

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

RIP PS5

https://www.darkhorizons.com/kfc-launches-a-gaming-console/

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Been playing Yakuza 7 and (very minor story spoilers for up to chapter 4) I unlocked the company management mini game. So naturally I ground that out until I was number 1 and now my game state is such where I live in a lovely apartment above a brothel but I am also the president of this company and I have 17m yen in my bank account. Time to spend it on go karts and community college.

Edit: Also, extreme disappointment that I can't use the final skill I unlocked because I've only got 157mp and it takes 200

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 23, 2020

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

GoutPatrol posted:

I picked up a PSVR last week and have been having alot of fun with Iron Man, even if I can only play for about an hour with that before I get a headache (which I haven't really gotten with anything else.) Rez VR is also on sale so I picked that up. Outside of the big hitters (Beat Saber, Astro) are there any other big heavy hitters that people here would recommend?

I just started Deracine and I really like it so far. It's really lovely to look at and quite peaceful and charming. I also really highly recommend Moss.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Been playing Yakuza 7 and (very minor story spoilers for up to chapter 4) I unlocked the company management mini game. So naturally I ground that out until I was number 1 and now my game state is such where I live in a lovely apartment above a brothel but I am also the president of this company and I have 17m yen in my bank account. Time to spend it on go karts and community college.

Keepin’ it real.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"weren't you homeless the other day? And now you're some corporate bigshot?" is one of my favorite lines of dialogue this year

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
hhmhmhhufheuhfsyessssssssssssss finally, finally beat ludwig, with his own drat sword, no less. the hunt is back on!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Gonna have to stop playing cyberpunk for a while I think, there’s just so many drat crashes

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Gonna have to stop playing cyberpunk for a while I think, there’s just so many drat crashes

The majority of my crashed come when I'm driving and the game is loading a new chunk of the map. Thankfully I fast travel a lot, so I've been able to mitigate some of it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I rarely get any out driving, all my recent ones have been during main story missions just looking at people or walking around.
So so annoying.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I almost never use fast travel in open world games, it seems to subvert the entire concept

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I rarely get any out driving, all my recent ones have been during main story missions just looking at people or walking around.
So so annoying.

do you get atrocious framerates in the city? especially corpo plaza. i don't think it's just down to the hdd. if my ps5 replacement wasn't on it's way back, i'd be seriously considering a refund. the crashes i've mostly made my peace with, but some areas are basically unplayable on a pro.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rinkles posted:

do you get atrocious framerates in the city? especially corpo plaza. i don't think it's just down to the hdd. if my ps5 replacement wasn't on it's way back, i'd be seriously considering a refund. the crashes i've mostly made my peace with, but some areas are basically unplayable on a pro.

Yeah any of the big hubs chug massively, even on an SSD. The area with the big statue and the hologram tree (JapanTown maybe??) is like 20fps

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Vikar Jerome posted:

hhmhmhhufheuhfsyessssssssssssss finally, finally beat ludwig, with his own drat sword, no less. the hunt is back on!

Yes yes yes Ludwig was the fight that made me quit playing the game for three and a half years! Getting back to it and getting him in two goes was such an amazing feeling. Go go go!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GoutPatrol posted:

I picked up a PSVR last week and have been having alot of fun with Iron Man, even if I can only play for about an hour with that before I get a headache (which I haven't really gotten with anything else.) Rez VR is also on sale so I picked that up. Outside of the big hitters (Beat Saber, Astro) are there any other big heavy hitters that people here would recommend?

Agreed with others to prioritize Wipeout, RE7, Squadrons (Only played Squadrons on PCVR but I'd assume its the same) but it's worth noting that all 3 of these are better to tackle after you get your VR legs imo. If Iron Man is making you uncomfortable, these probably will too until you get more acclimated, with the exception of RE7 if you use teleport. RE7 is better if you can do smooth movement though.

Some other great titles that will probably ease you in more and be less inclined to cause discomfort are Moss, Statik, Tetris Effect, Blood and Truth, Farpoint, and Until Dawn Rush of Blood.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I thought I would do OK in Squadrons VR but at least for the story missions there's one where you have to do a trench run and the rapid changes in axis orientation made me immediately want to hurl lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

They slimmed the original Nier guy up for replicant so much I thought it was 2B with pants on in videos at first. No room for muscle men in modern anime I guess lol.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
If you have Star Wars Battlefront 1 it also has a VR X-wing mission that’s sort of a prototype for Squadrons, it’s really good and also slowly eases you into spaceship piloting better

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

They slimmed the original Nier guy up for replicant so much I thought it was 2B with pants on in videos at first. No room for muscle men in modern anime I guess lol.

I think only the Xbox version was a muscle man and the PS version was always the kid like in Replicant, right?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Wasn't that design specifically aimed at "What would the Americans want to see" a decade ago

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I thought I would do OK in Squadrons VR but at least for the story missions there's one where you have to do a trench run and the rapid changes in axis orientation made me immediately want to hurl lol

Squadrons was actually the first VR flight game that didn't make me queasy doing barrel rolls and stuff. I'm not sure why. I was even playing it in 3-4 hours stretches online back when it came out and it always felt super comfortable. And this was just weeks after trying elite dangerous in VR and I had to turn that off after about 45 minutes even though it's way slower paced than squadrons.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Dad Nier was every version except Japanese PS3 which had brother Nier. But that's now the canon version so

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I finally beat the pyhumerian descendant. That was the Capra demon of bloodborne.

The only one I would say was garbage and unfair.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

I think only the Xbox version was a muscle man and the PS version was always the kid like in Replicant, right?

That's very possible, I haven't played the original Nier and have always been confused by it looking like 2 different protagonists.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
IIRC both versions were available for PS3 while Xbox only ever got the gruff burly dude

veni veni veni posted:

Squadrons was actually the first VR flight game that didn't make me queasy doing barrel rolls and stuff. I'm not sure why.

I attribute it to how claustrophobic the cockpits are, having a lot of your field of view occluded by static geometry helps offset the effect of the starfield wheeling around behind it. Also you usually have a target indicator to focus on that stays relatively stationary while you turn, again so you don't perceive so much of what the environment is doing.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Bloodletting beast done! So much simpler than pthumerian descendant. I think because I have space to breathe! :) on my way to the queen!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
And I did the queen !!! First time too. Man. That feels good. Two achievements to go!! :D

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

VideoGames posted:

I finally beat the pyhumerian descendant. That was the Capra demon of bloodborne.

I just checked my video from 2015 and while I only died to him 3 times I absolutely agree he was bullshit, on my third run at him my video has a montage of me doing like 12 loving viscerals basically back to back and that's less than half his health.

In the end I just did the Ludwig two handed attack a whole bunch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swJvHsINxB4

VideoGames posted:

And I did the queen !!! First time too. Man. That feels good. Two achievements to go!! :D
Nice one! She took me several tries!

Akuma fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 23, 2020

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

haveblue posted:

I attribute it to how claustrophobic the cockpits are, having a lot of your field of view occluded by static geometry helps offset the effect of the starfield wheeling around behind it. Also you usually have a target indicator to focus on that stays relatively stationary while you turn, again so you don't perceive so much of what the environment is doing.

Yes, I think it's this.

I have a pretty much cast-iron inner ear (growing up around boats and reading in the car) but I found the phone based ones I tried like Cardboard and Gear VR tended to cause motion sickness even in comparatively tame situations. I've been getting none with the PS VR in Squadrons, Beat Saber, or SuperHot, which I'd attribute to a combination of better hardware and devs having more experience designing around it.

We've got a PS VR thread here as well - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790293&pagenumber=331#lastpost

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

VideoGames posted:

Bloodborne is a good plat. It mostly just boils down to doing all of the stuff that is worth doing in the game. I wish more games were like that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I deliberately stuck all the visceral runes on for that fight eventually, I think it took me longer than some of the defiled bosses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yMx4DTAuak

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Yes, I think it's this.

I have a pretty much cast-iron inner ear (growing up around boats and reading in the car) but I found the phone based ones I tried like Cardboard and Gear VR tended to cause motion sickness even in comparatively tame situations. I've been getting none with the PS VR in Squadrons, Beat Saber, or SuperHot, which I'd attribute to a combination of better hardware and devs having more experience designing around it.

We've got a PS VR thread here as well - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790293&pagenumber=331#lastpost

Phone VR is just tracking with gyros which is going to track way worse than something like PSVRs camera/gyro mix, and is absolutely primitive compared to the inside out tracking or base stations that PC/standalone VR uses now. A lot of phone stuff also probably runs at pretty low frame rates which is not good for VR.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

Nice work!!!!!

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

I deliberately stuck all the visceral runes on for that fight eventually, I think it took me longer than some of the defiled bosses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8yMx4DTAuak
I really wish I'd done this. I never remember to change out tunes for bosses.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Is Mafia Definitive edition worth picking up ?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

like holy gently caress if veegy plats bloodborne ityool 2020 what a time to be alive

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The proud Hoonter, Voodeo Goomes

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I got skyrim on sale yesterday and I'm playing it for the first time ever, and it's ok - nothing too bold but I can see the appeal and what it's hooks are.
Anyway I think the thing I appreciate most of all, something that I wasn't expecting to experience or enjoy quite as much - my living room is quiet while I play it. I can't remember the last time I played a game where I didn't have to turn the TV up over the ps4 noise. Dead silent the whole time, it's absolute bliss.
Just put the ps4 in rest mode and it quietly wound down in seconds instead of blaring even louder for 15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

VideoGames posted:

Oh nice one! I was just coming to ask cuz I saw the vid of my fight against him and one thing that really helped me in his second phase was gun spamming which knocks him out of a lot of his combos

https://twitter.com/fridgecorn/status/1333329937701494785?s=19

VideoGames posted:

Hooray! The queen is such a relief after so many super tough bosses in the chalice dungeons