Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

so this is just tabloids being tabloids or there's actually a deal that won't push the uk to the brink of national starvation?

The assumption is the government looked at the absolute chaos when Europe closed the borders for 2 days because of the plague and instantly folded because they realised at last how awful Brexit with no deal will be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
People in michigan and pennsylvania and arizona and georgia and stuff didn't know it but they were voting to decide britain's future. Without donald trump boris johnson knew a no-deal was hopeless.

Its called "taking back control"

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
i hope the deal is so bad that you idiots have frenchmen fishing in ponds as deep inland as shiresummerset or lancasterhobbitlet

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Murderion posted:

You fool. CSPAM's accelerationist fantasies will never come to pass. Political science has been perfected. The checks and balances are in place, the pressure release valves are fully functional. Things will get progressively worse, our leaders more cartoonishly incompetent, at precisely the right rate to be normalized. We will always be two steps away from bloody revolution, five steps away from humanity's untapped psychic potential spontaneously blowing the heads off the ruling elite in a single moment of collective rage.

you know, i think you may be right

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Judakel posted:

i hope the deal is so bad that you idiots have frenchmen fishing in ponds as deep inland as shiresummerset or lancasterhobbitlet

Weird how you never target the architects of Brexit and always fantasise about how much the working class is going to suffer.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i do kind of want the working class to suffer by way of having to see french people sometimes

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Regarde Aduck posted:

Weird how you never target the architects of Brexit and always fantasise about how much the working class is going to suffer.

weird how they voted for it and you decide to whine about your posting enemy

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Judakel posted:

Eeh, social class indicators in the UK are shot to hell thanks to failing to adjust to our transition to a service economy and the lowering of pay and status of what we traditionally thought of as white-collar jobs. Brexit mostly passed on the backs of pensioners, who are included in the C2DE 'lower class' band for some ungodly reason despite many of them being significantly more comfortable than a fair number of the ABC1 people who didn't like Brexit.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Darth Walrus posted:

Eeh, social class indicators in the UK are shot to hell thanks to failing to adjust to our transition to a service economy and the lowering of pay and status of what we traditionally thought of as white-collar jobs. Brexit mostly passed on the backs of pensioners, who are included in the C2DE 'lower class' band for some ungodly reason despite many of them being significantly more comfortable than a fair number of the ABC1 people who didn't like Brexit.

someone pull up how well conservatives are doing with the working class

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Judakel posted:

someone pull up how well conservatives are doing with the working class

That's exactly what I'm talking about. The British press use 'C2DE' and 'working class' interchangeably because we're in a right-wing hegemony and a useful, well-publicised measure of how social class actually functions in the UK would serve no value to them, so they just pretend that the Tories' massive lead among well-off pensioners means they're the party of working people. NRS social grades are like CDOs for class analysis, and are about as useful for a country's continued stability and effective governance.

Darth Walrus has issued a correction as of 03:10 on Dec 24, 2020

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

The assumption is the government looked at the absolute chaos when Europe closed the borders for 2 days because of the plague and instantly folded because they realised at last how awful Brexit with no deal will be.

that seems unusually sane and good for the little people so i am immediately suspicious

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

that seems unusually sane and good for the little people so i am immediately suspicious

Don't worry, the prospective deal still mauls the British economy by keeping tariffs off goods (which we import) but imposing them on services (which we export). It won't be as bleakly funny as blocking off our own main food supplies, but it'll significantly accelerate our slide into political/economic irrelevance as Frankfurt, Dublin and Paris siphon away our finance and tech industries.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Darth Walrus posted:

That's exactly what I'm talking about. The British press use 'C2DE' and 'working class' interchangeably because we're in a right-wing hegemony and a useful, well-publicised measure of how social class actually functions in the UK would serve no value to them, so they just pretend that the Tories' massive lead among well-off pensioners means they're the party of working people. NRS social grades are like CDOs for class analysis, and are about as useful for a country's continued stability and effective governance.

What measure draws a distinction I want to see more detailed break downs.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Murderion posted:

You fool. CSPAM's accelerationist fantasies will never come to pass. Political science has been perfected. The checks and balances are in place, the pressure release valves are fully functional. Things will get progressively worse, our leaders more cartoonishly incompetent, at precisely the right rate to be normalized. We will always be two steps away from bloody revolution, five steps away from humanity's untapped psychic potential spontaneously blowing the heads off the ruling elite in a single moment of collective rage.

When the last two humans on earth find the last scrap of calorific content, the man with the shinier shoes will take it and the other will be too polite to stop him.

Plot of every grounded piece of dystopian fiction looking :mediocre:

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

No sir, they're saying boo-oris, they love your strong performance in the brexit negotiations.

Son of Rodney has issued a correction as of 09:49 on Dec 24, 2020

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Tonoigt on botom Gear our guest tonit my mate boris johnson the soiver of brexit *Boris Johnson drives a mini with the union jack on the roof into the studio with concerning speed, fumbles with the brakes and drives into the crowd*

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

spankmeister posted:

Tonoigt on botom Gear our guest tonit my mate boris johnson the soiver of brexit *Boris Johnson drives a mini with the union jack on the roof into the studio with concerning speed, fumbles with the brakes and drives into the crowd*

Jerry looks at the camera "despite how it looks this is actually the best take of the night"

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Judakel posted:

Most of us didn't

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Darth Walrus posted:

Don't worry, the prospective deal still mauls the British economy by keeping tariffs off goods (which we import) but imposing them on services (which we export). It won't be as bleakly funny as blocking off our own main food supplies, but it'll significantly accelerate our slide into political/economic irrelevance as Frankfurt, Dublin and Paris siphon away our finance and tech industries.

That is an unusually sane and good result.

Given how distorting and bad for the country having all those financial organisations operating in the UK is then it might be better for us even if we plunge in GDP.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Is freedom of movement still preserved?

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Samovar posted:

Is freedom of movement still preserved?

No. In fact, you can't even leave your house for Christmas.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

there will be adequate pain

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The people voted for covid

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
https://twitter.com/LukePowell88/status/1342026302845579264

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

he quite clearly did not catch that pigeon

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

So Boris literally said ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm for 4 years just so he could fold on Christmas eve? What a statesman. He should do that thing where he came down over a wire waving British flags but do it over the canal.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

brexit.mp4

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

XMNN posted:

Don't talk down Larry. He actually caught an ostrich earlier that day, that's why he let the pigeon go.

An insane mind posted:

So Boris literally said ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm for 4 years just so he could fold on Christmas eve? What a statesman. He should do that thing where he came down over a wire waving British flags but do it over the canal.
No, only 1.5 years.

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Don't talk down Larry. He actually caught an ostrich earlier that day, that's why he let the pigeon go.

No, only 1.5 years.

Oh yeah sorry, I forgot that he was more of a transition ghoul.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

XMNN posted:

Somehow very fitting that the British press would gaslight us about the great successes of the Downing Street cat.

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
The cat should be Prime Minister and Boris Johnson should be Chief Mouser

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

XMNN posted:

he quite clearly did not seal the deal

Fixed

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
https://twitter.com/GuyReuters/status/1342050191973752832?s=19

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
That's boring. Sensible, but boring. The EU definitely won.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
the eu was alwasy going to win

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Jose posted:

the eu was alwasy going to win

What? No. How the gently caress dare you. A single island against the largest trading bloc in the world would always have won if Boris just knew we were ready for the Blitz and held out. Those EUROS DON'T KNOW HOW LITTLE WE CAN SUBSIST ON!

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
Apparently they are still talking about fish lmao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jupiter Ascending

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

CactusWeasle posted:

Apparently they are still talking about fish lmao

If that's the hill the Brits die on...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

@vonderLeyen: @BorisJohnson, so long and thanks for all the fish!