Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

How are people liking the 2 new skills added per weapon? I didn't even realize that until someone told me and I checked. They are automatically unlocked so just check your skill tree.

The follow-up to sheath bash on sword is extremely cool and good. High/Low Stance Strong Attack to sheath bash to overhead slash is rather effective and looks cool as heck.

Cyclone for Switchglaive is loving sweet and great for stance switch-dancing.

New spear skills are a bit meh.

Moonlit Snow Redux for Odachi is fast and looks awesome, but I am not 100% whether it is more effective than other moves.

Takes No Damage already covered Fists, I don't much experience with the other new weapon skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
what the gently caress fists have a guard point block? fists are awesome

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

it's crazy how anemic the wiki for this game is compared to how many mechanics and numbers there are to unpack. so many dead-end hyperlinks, missing info, and pages that just parrot the in-game description and nothing else

Thumbtacks posted:

what the gently caress fists have a guard point block? fists are awesome

:hai:
Insanely cool weapon

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

finally beat the base game's final boss and started the DLC missions
CRAB YOKAI
CRAB YOKAI
CRAB YOKAI!!!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Started up way of the demon now that all the dlc is out, fists are fun but the damage really isn't there. Spent like 10 minutes slowly tickling the horse at the end of stage 1 to death.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Ayyy my "No" save was fixed with today's update

Is there a list anywhere of what skills are new?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really enjoyed the first Nioh, though I didn't get too far into the postgame/NG+ gear grind or play any of the DLCs. (Not out of any opposition to a gear grind, just moved on to other games and didn't come back.)

That said, I'm interested in getting Nioh 2. What I'm wondering is: is it better to buy the PS4 version and all the DLCs separately now, or should I just wait for the complete edition/PS5 update in February? I think I've read that the PS5 version is a free upgrade if you already own Nioh 2 and the DLCs but I'm not sure what's likely to be more cost effective.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 23, 2020

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

From the Nioh Collection announcement on the playstation blog:

quote:

For those of you who are looking to continue your demon slaying journey in Nioh 2 onto PlayStation 5 from your PlayStation 4, there are two upgrade routes for you to take***:

Players that own Nioh 2 – The Complete Edition on PS4 can upgrade to Nioh 2 Remastered – The Complete Edition on PS5 at no additional cost.
Players that own Nioh 2 on PS4 can upgrade to the base game – Nioh 2 Remastered on PS5, and receive the PS5 version of any DLC expansions they own on PS4.
Upgrades for disc copies of PS4 versions are only available if you have a PlayStation 5 console with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive***. To obtain your upgrade, you will need to insert your PS4 game disc into your PlayStation 5 console with Ultra HD Blu-Ray disc drive, navigate to the Game Hub and select the upgrade offer to download the corresponding digital PS5 remastered version of the game, which you can then play while your PS4 disc is in the drive.

If you purchase a digital copy of PS4 versions of the game, you can simply navigate to the Game Hub on your PS5 console and select the upgrade offer to download the corresponding PS5 remastered version. Note: you will need to log into your PS5 console with the same PlayStation Network account that you were using when you purchased the PS4 versions of the game.

Depends on what kind of sale is on right now for the PS4 version with the DLC. Pre-orders are already up on both PC and PS5 for Complete Edition and they're both $50 (here in the States, anyway). With the Christmas sales going on, you're almost certainly not going to see a lower price on it than you are now, so if they aren't cheaper right this minute they're not going to suddenly get more cost effective before February.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

lets hang out posted:

Started up way of the demon now that all the dlc is out, fists are fun but the damage really isn't there. Spent like 10 minutes slowly tickling the horse at the end of stage 1 to death.

that's just what dotd boss health is like, i did the same thing with a spear

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
^^^ Ah the good old days, when boss fights only took me 10 minutes to clear...

Warden posted:

Yup, the one that forced me to exit the mission and grind levels and gear is yet to come. Have fun. :D

If it is any consolation, the final boss of the DLC was easier than either boss of the first level.

Well it only took 2 days instead of 3. She didn't seem as rough, though probably only compared to the brick wall learning curve of proto-Orochi...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgfXAHx-QbI&t=510s

Augus posted:

it's crazy how anemic the wiki for this game is compared to how many mechanics and numbers there are to unpack. so many dead-end hyperlinks, missing info, and pages that just parrot the in-game description and nothing else

Fextralife in general just sucks, I don't know what it is vs other game wikis but no game I've ever seen on there is well documented.

Warden posted:

Takes No Damage already covered Fists, I don't much experience with the other new weapon skills.

Now that I've actually gotten to use the fist skills, they're both pretty great. My only complaint is that they're both tied to high stance, so you lose a pretty cool kick combo on block+triangle if you want the Anima drain move. It's pretty great BTW, it's a 2-hit combo and the first punch comes out really fast, stunning most human-size enemies just long enough for the 2nd hit to land. Seems to go through blocks as well :getin: Beyond Infinity is crazy, I can't imagine using anything else against a big enemy that's out of ki. The timing to 'pulse' between all 5 sequences is pretty tough though, but seems important to figure out because otherwise you're at 0 ki by the end of it and thus vulnerable to getting staggered/grappled.

Deified Data posted:

Is there a list anywhere of what skills are new?

The new weapon skills added with DLC3?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3b-WlPy7Uw

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Orochi i had an okay time with once i realized every skill had an audio clue so I stopped getting turbofucked by tentacles I couldn't even see. My plan now though is to just skip that stage 100% of the time since I don't have to do every story mission to progress anymore.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
What do we prefer as a counter for fists? Takedown or Opportunist? Opportunist seems way easier to pull off.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

What do we prefer as a counter for fists? Takedown or Opportunist? Opportunist seems way easier to pull off.

I've been using Takedown for my fist-parrying needs, since it segues seamlessly into Reckless Charge, assuming you don't go for the bonus triangle attacks (a shoryuken launcher followed by a Zangeif spinning piledriver). But they have to be out of ki for that, while Opportunist can do its bonus hits every time. I'll have to try and play around with it some tonight, being so underleveled in DotDemon parries are one of the only ways I have to do good damage to human enemies.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Opportunist is objectively better because you can build unbroken stacks with it IMO

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Zaodai posted:

From the Nioh Collection announcement on the playstation blog:

Depends on what kind of sale is on right now for the PS4 version with the DLC. Pre-orders are already up on both PC and PS5 for Complete Edition and they're both $50 (here in the States, anyway). With the Christmas sales going on, you're almost certainly not going to see a lower price on it than you are now, so if they aren't cheaper right this minute they're not going to suddenly get more cost effective before February.

The way they specifically mentioned the 50 buck re-release has a free ps5 version and mention the other version 'can be upgraded and we'll give you all your dlc free' makes me think they're selling the upgrade.
If the ps5 is full of microtransactions to play games I already own, that's a hard pass. "Buy the new and improved HD texture pack for a game < 1 year old" is silly too, but not quite as bad.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Coolness Averted posted:

The way they specifically mentioned the 50 buck re-release has a free ps5 version and mention the other version 'can be upgraded and we'll give you all your dlc free' makes me think they're selling the upgrade.
If the ps5 is full of microtransactions to play games I already own, that's a hard pass. "Buy the new and improved HD texture pack for a game < 1 year old" is silly too, but not quite as bad.

That's not how I read that particular line. If you have the complete edition on PS4, you can upgrade for free on PS5. If you have the base edition and bought the DLCs separately, and upgrade, you get Nioh 2 remastered and then get the upgraded DLCs for free too. You just don't get "Nioh 2 the Complete Edition", which is a separate product.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

That bullet point is definitely a bit ambiguous but I think it makes the most sense if it's also a free upgrade

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

goddamn the "Beyond Infinity" fist skill just completely melts enemies if you get the timing for it right. sometimes even if you don't

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Augus posted:

goddamn the "Beyond Infinity" fist skill just completely melts enemies if you get the timing for it right. sometimes even if you don't

I just looked up this move and holy poo poo I need to play this game

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/TeamNINJAStudio/status/1341613413705916417

Basically just bug fixes. :rip: Changing Ways. I will never forget them time we spent together when you were insanely overtuned and made every other splitstaff attack obsolete.

Zaodai posted:

That's not how I read that particular line. If you have the complete edition on PS4, you can upgrade for free on PS5. If you have the base edition and bought the DLCs separately, and upgrade, you get Nioh 2 remastered and then get the upgraded DLCs for free too. You just don't get "Nioh 2 the Complete Edition", which is a separate product.

That's how I read it too.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think I actually hit the bug they mention about mujina not spawning. For a while there I was horrified that they were mixing up the chest indicators and you'd never really know if it was a mimic or not :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1340150152888262656

e:
Oh, just found out the Guardian Spirit attack for Sohaya is a floating sentry dragon that shoots dudes with purity bullets for like 10 seconds. S'pretty good.
https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1342002293055610886?s=20

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 24, 2020

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Augus posted:

What is the timing anyway? Is there a visual cue? I unlocked this and it seems decent but I can't really tell how successful I've been

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

What is the timing anyway? Is there a visual cue? I unlocked this and it seems decent but I can't really tell how successful I've been

At the last attack of every section of the combo there is a blue flash of light. I'm not very good at it myself yet, but it feels like you want to press square again just as it's going off, like right at the beginning of the move? I can get the first one OK, but after that it's just luck.

Harrow posted:

I just looked up this move and holy poo poo I need to play this game

https://twitter.com/TND669/status/1342010469297618950?s=20

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

It feels like some of the underworld bosses(or Way of the Wise / Nioh) are tuned way too high, specifically any human boss. They can block all day even with my ki damage and break gear. Team Ninja really needs to go back and look over their scaling for human bosses(and revenants who are also equally tanky and ridiculous) for the higher difficulties.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Dec 25, 2020

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

DLC 2
Nekomata: *jumps in front of an attack meant for the protagonist and gets corrupted into a white tiger yokai*
Audience: *groans*

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 25, 2020

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Augus posted:

DLC 2
Nekomata: *jumps in front of an attack meant for the protagonist and gets corrupted into a white tiger yokai*

It's his signature move!

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Augus posted:

DLC 2

Your cat buddy is kindly offering you a new Feral yokai ability. Show a little gratitude.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Darth Walrus posted:

Your cat buddy is kindly offering you a new Feral yokai ability. Show a little gratitude.

Yeah I was a little :rolleyes: at that part too, but with the addition of burst counters and soul cores into the mix it still varied things enough that it wasn't just a copy/paste rematch at least.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

is there a good list anywhere of what bosses can drop Art of Combat texts? I know that besides the Izuna Drop Hayabasa also has a claw art he can drop. What else is there?

Augus fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 27, 2020

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Augus posted:

is there a good list anywhere of what bosses can drop Art of Combat texts? I know that besides the Izuna Drop Hayabasa also has a claw art he can drop. What else is there?

This is what I used and it has every skill / recipe drop.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Fists are very good and cool but I have reverted to smooth brain axe and it's just so comfy, i played through all of nioh 1 with one and most of nioh 2 until i took a break. new skills aren't awesome but they're nice and it's just fun in general. big numbers go brrrr

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This isn't the same page I was using earlier, but it seems to separate all the rare drops by type and tells you who drops them. Still need to look up the easiest way to fight each enemy, a lot of the time there is a sub-mission/duel level that's a lot easier to work with than the full main mission, though that isn't usually too bad either with the menu reset trick. For anyone farming boss drops, if you beat a boss and don't get what you want, quit out to the main menu and reload your save, you'll start at the last shrine you used and can take another run at the boss until you get it.

Thumbtacks posted:

Fists are very good and cool but I have reverted to smooth brain axe and it's just so comfy, i played through all of nioh 1 with one and most of nioh 2 until i took a break. new skills aren't awesome but they're nice and it's just fun in general. big numbers go brrrr

I spend most of my time with the faster more mobile weapons, so whenever I swap over to stuff like axe or odachi it always feels really bad and awkward, until I realize I don't need to dodge around as much because poo poo dies in 2 or 3 hits :black101:

LOOK OUT! THIS ENEMY IS BLOCKING!!
:killdozer:
oh they're dead now

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Not really feeling the staff but I've been having a lot of fun with fists. As reported, Beyond Infinity does completely shred big enemies even when you don't nail the timing. Revenants are kind of a shitshow though. Like they're mostly 50-100 levels higher than me but drat it doesn't feel like they should be able to poise through absolutely everything and 2 shot me while I struggle to make their ki bar move. Wish I had a parry that "grabbed" them like the katanas do. Also not a lot of fists armor to be found, which is mostly why I'm fighting them, though still being on demon is probably my problem there.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Takes No Damage posted:

This isn't the same page I was using earlier, but it seems to separate all the rare drops by type and tells you who drops them. Still need to look up the easiest way to fight each enemy, a lot of the time there is a sub-mission/duel level that's a lot easier to work with than the full main mission, though that isn't usually too bad either with the menu reset trick. For anyone farming boss drops, if you beat a boss and don't get what you want, quit out to the main menu and reload your save, you'll start at the last shrine you used and can take another run at the boss until you get it.

I spend most of my time with the faster more mobile weapons, so whenever I swap over to stuff like axe or odachi it always feels really bad and awkward, until I realize I don't need to dodge around as much because poo poo dies in 2 or 3 hits :black101:

LOOK OUT! THIS ENEMY IS BLOCKING!!
:killdozer:
oh they're dead now

I have a similar issue but you can just block hits anyway. Several bosses that gave me a lot of issues with other weapons or previous difficulties were trivialized by just blocking. ezpz

I might end up running fists as an alternative, just to have some options. That, or spear. Either way I should HOPEFULLY unlock DotW today or tomorrow and then I can start the fun stuff.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lets hang out posted:

Not really feeling the staff but I've been having a lot of fun with fists. As reported, Beyond Infinity does completely shred big enemies even when you don't nail the timing. Revenants are kind of a shitshow though. Like they're mostly 50-100 levels higher than me but drat it doesn't feel like they should be able to poise through absolutely everything and 2 shot me while I struggle to make their ki bar move. Wish I had a parry that "grabbed" them like the katanas do. Also not a lot of fists armor to be found, which is mostly why I'm fighting them, though still being on demon is probably my problem there.

Revenants became very deadly and tanky in DotWise and Nioh. It's absolutely a tuning thing and not a weapon thing. They are absolutely some of the scariest enemies in the game.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Finally got around to beating Nioh 2. The last few bosses were relatively easy compared to the snake and Shibata. Honestly I still rate the former as the toughest fight in the game, excluding some of the duels. I should think about my boss ranking.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Deified Data posted:

Finally got around to beating Nioh 2. The last few bosses were relatively easy compared to the snake and Shibata. Honestly I still rate the former as the toughest fight in the game, excluding some of the duels. I should think about my boss ranking.

Was just coming to cry about how the final enemy of the first sub-mission in DLC3 is snakeboss out of nowhere, after a gauntlet that includes a skeleton spawner (thankfully doesn't respawn itself), a cursed hammer grandpa and 2 revenants (a fist user and one with a splitstaff) AT THE SAME TIME :argh: By himself he wouldn't be that big a deal anymore, but when his two snekbois pop off in the dark realm I get turned around and eventually eat a horn charge in the back :smith:

vvv CatSquad is lowkey the most OP strat in the game. Constant hits to the enemy's ki, mad Anima regen for soul core spam, and just in case someone hasn't tried it yet you can have up to 3 at once :3:

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Dec 30, 2020

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
man i've really discounted how good scampuss are, i perma stunlocked hatchet man and it was NOT a close fight. goddamn.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
They're the slow talisman of Nioh 2 except no one nerfed them for the dlc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
And they are cute while granting immense power.