Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?

jiggerypokery posted:

And above all else, bellingcat, like many journalistic organisations, has funding from the open society foundation which ostensibly is diametrically opposed to the values of the state department. When the left is attacking you for being "state department funded" and the right is attacking you for being "soros funded" and basically no one is attacking you for the validity of your content, you're doing one or two things right tbh.

People say the same about the BBC and it's an equally vacuous argument. Frothing Nazis will always froth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Part of the confusion on recycling/sustainability is that there's several things people associate with being "green". Decreased carbon emissions and decreased pollution are the main two - while the current crusade is against single-use plastics... I'd rather a ton of oil gets turned into plastics than it gets burnt and turned into atmospheric CO2. And the lightness on plastics - one of the reasons they are used so much to begin with - means you need more mass of cardboard or whatever you replace them with, and that might have a higher energy cost to do so. But plastics are undeniably harder to recycle and create more pollution/waste afterwards - they also look uglier when discarded in the enviroment. Which aspect of "green" are you focusing on? Because there's always tradeoffs between different "green" ideals.
Yes, a lot of the anti-plastics stuff is rooted in a false appeal to nature, a cardboard factory that dumps bleach into rivers is worse than a plastic factory that uses hemp oil, and demanding plastic gets better has better results than demanding no plastic. There's also the problem that we just discard single use plastics, but that would be better solved with in house plastic cracking rather than dumping our poo poo on the Global South.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yet during term time, the underpass near the local comprehensive is choc full of teenagers puffing away at lunchtimes.
I just don't get it. Do they still think it makes them look 'big' especially given the cost of cigarettes and given that just about every adult I know who smokes seriously wishes they didn't and repeatedly try to give up?
Going to defer to Bruce K. Alexander here:

quote:

Addiction is endemic in western free-market society. This is because free markets inevitably dislocate people from traditional sources of psychological, social and spiritual support, and because “dislocation”, in this broad sense of the term, is the precursor of addiction. Since free-market principles currently provide the blueprint for globalization, the prevalence of addiction is increasing everywhere. Analysis of addiction along these lines can lead addiction professionals to a view of their field that is both broader and more practical.

For all the ills you can pin on smoking, nicotine works. It works at reducing the stress that a person feels on being disconnected from any wider structure. After all why not, Jacob Rees-Mogg says you don't deserve dinner.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
brown moses loves to meltdown and attack people when they show him up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmKsECGQvoY&t=2232s

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

No, people say about the BBC that 'impartiality' is a matter of perspective and that it sits too far to the left or right of where they are sitting. The bellingcat question is whether it's possible to have integrity whist paying the bills. IF it's possible, they are doing it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

It's pretty clear Bellingcat are just PR they don't seem to make much attempt at being neutral or good faith

It's a shame cause I remember the pitch wss basically "were going to look at corruption in Western governments" and became "have you heard what Russia has done now???"

But with a bunch of bollocks made up reporting too

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

jiggerypokery posted:

Do all senior creatives day drink

In my experience of ~20 years, design agencies fall into 2 categories: massive pissheads or 'I'm off to the gym at lunchtime, even though I already went at 6am this morning'. No inbetween. I freelance, and did a few months at a pro haircare instrument brand, and I thought they'd all be tee-total posh folk, where in reality we were at the pub every night.

Helith posted:

You mentioned working on cigarette packaging.
I live in Australia where cigarettes are all in plain packaging. What’s your view on that from a design standpoint? It’s an interesting concept to make a product as undesirable as possible through it’s packaging when I imagine your task is usually the opposite.

Same in the UK: I've done about 3 years in cig packaging, all for international markets where they don't have that drab green with a 70% Health Warning as a legal standard. Think most of Europe/Mexico, and a lot of them are expanding into China now that's opened up. The designs vary, as you'll still have anywhere between 30-50% of the front face taken up by Health Warnings, so design tends to throw everything at making them stand out: foils, high build tactile/gloss/soft touch varnishes, embossing/debossing and a bright stand out design. They're actually really technical to do for the most part. You don't get the same restrictions on Vape packs so they go full bore on that too. Trick usually is to spec things with all the whistles & bells and then gradually get knocked back due to costings - the more finishes, the pricier it gets.
All that coming from companies who clear billions in profit every year and print literally millions of packs. Ours is not to reason why, ours is to comply with the clients wishes. Market research on these things plays a big part too.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the Bellingcat gimmick was/is crowdsourced intelligence and intel analysis - documenting input material (source videos etc) and analytical techniques in public

hence: open-source intelligence. Doing what an actual intel agency does, but with methods in full view that you (or anyone you trust) can download and examine yourself

this is a very much post-Iraq Dossier phenomenon

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lol but i tracked down his big embarrassing election meltdown so i'll stop now https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905288&userid=27232

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I might be from Northern Ireland but we have not forgotten what she said... no pity for Priti. :fuckoff:

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

ronya posted:

the Bellingcat gimmick was/is crowdsourced intelligence and intel analysis - documenting input material (source videos etc) and analytical techniques in public

hence: open-source intelligence. Doing what an actual intel agency does, but with methods in full view that you (or anyone you trust) can download and examine yourself

this is a very much post-Iraq Dossier phenomenon

IDK what % is what exactly, but a significant proportion of their funding comes from providing training in these techniques to other journalistic organisations that use them to do the work people ITT think bellingcat should be doing.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Goldskull posted:

In my experience of ~20 years, design agencies fall into 2 categories: massive pissheads or 'I'm off to the gym at lunchtime, even though I already went at 6am this morning'. No inbetween. I freelance, and did a few months at a pro haircare instrument brand, and I thought they'd all be tee-total posh folk, where in reality we were at the pub every night.

I worked in a design studio for a bit - I definitely noticed the former, but now you mention it, the latter was always about dressed in spandex as the other half of the studio came back from a long lunch. The artworkers seemed to do the most work that stretched into the evening, the designers kept complaining about the variety of work and wanting to do something different, the studio head just walked around all day joking about and hovering by the artworkers shoulder telling them to move text up and down

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Yet during term time, the underpass near the local comprehensive is choc full of teenagers puffing away at lunchtimes.
I just don't get it. Do they still think it makes them look 'big' especially given the cost of cigarettes and given that just about every adult I know who smokes seriously wishes they didn't and repeatedly try to give up?

From my observations, a lot of teenagers smoke weed, particularly joints that have a mix of weed and tobacco. A lot vape nowadays but there's still a handful that smoke (though I think its more likely they are smoking weed than cigs)

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Guavanaut posted:

Priti Palmerston.

Pritt the Elder!

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I do think that the level of vitriol directed towards Brown Moses ITT reflects pretty badly on the posters who spew it. Like... he actually achieved something more than being a bitter, nihilistc SA poster, and people really hate him for it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

The Perfect Element posted:

I do think that the level of vitriol directed towards Brown Moses ITT reflects pretty badly on the posters who spew it. Like... he actually achieved something more than being a bitter, nihilistc SA poster, and people really hate him for it.

Yeah I don't really understand it either.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Lol okay liberal. I guess making political criticisms of people and their actions isn't allowed because they've done so well for themselves.

They actively aided an imperialist side during a global struggle but look at their humble origins!

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I'm convinced at lease 90% of the the Bellingcat ire is because Brown Moses was the standard NEET Goon, who managed turned his posting into an income stream.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would rather be a poster than a journalist tbh.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

jiggerypokery posted:

IDK what % is what exactly, but a significant proportion of their funding comes from providing training in these techniques to other journalistic organisations that use them to do the work people ITT think bellingcat should be doing.

realistically, what people ITT think bellingcat should be doing is focusing on Western malfeasance in the global south, rather than in any possible objective neutrality of technique. everything is the ideological struggle etc.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Nah most of us were excited for what Bellingcat pitched itself as.

To see it turn into a CIA op attacking Corbyn was depressing

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

ronya posted:

realistically, what people ITT think bellingcat should be doing is focusing on Western malfeasance in the global south, rather than in any possible objective neutrality of technique. everything is the ideological struggle etc.

Speaking only for myself I wanted Bellingcat to focus on domestic corruption which was part of the original pitch and is an area that is lacking in the UK

I don't care about anti Russian propaganda yeah theyr bad but we don't live there and it's not an area in need of new posters

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

My problem is exclusively with the idea that the source of funding affects the validity of journalistic work.

namesake posted:

Lol okay liberal. I guess making political criticisms of people and their actions isn't allowed because they've done so well for themselves.

They actively aided an imperialist side during a global struggle but look at their humble origins!

They actively undermined an imperialist side during a global struggle but look at which one!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
judging people for taking money from a CIA front, sounds like someone's jealous

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

Communist Thoughts posted:

Speaking only for myself I wanted Bellingcat to focus on domestic corruption which was part of the original pitch.

I don't care about anti Russian propaganda yeah theyr bad but we don't live there

A lot of their contributors live in eastern Europe.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

jiggerypokery posted:

A lot of their contributors live in eastern Europe.

Yeah but I don't and this is about me

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Why would you expect a guy who honed his skills analysing youtube videos of military actions from Libya and Syria to suddenly work on western domestic corruption? Like, that just sounds like an excuse to criticise someone you don't like more than any betrayal of promises. The funny thing of bellingcat is one goon in a basement showing up the whole military espionage complex - that the NSA spend so much money and effort reading everything and couldn't see what what is plain sight and public on youtube.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Nothingtoseehere posted:

Why would you expect a guy who honed his skills analysing youtube videos of military actions from Libya and Syria to suddenly work on western domestic corruption? Like, that just sounds like an excuse to criticise someone you don't like more than any betrayal of promises. The funny thing of bellingcat is one goon in a basement showing up the whole military espionage complex - that the NSA spend so much money and effort reading everything and couldn't see what what is plain sight and public on youtube.

Cos Eliot is a brit and the original pitch was about empowering local citizens to investigate their governments

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Investigating domestic corruption would be a hugely thankless task, as it's all out in the open anyway. Every single edition of Private Eye has dozens of stories detailing the cosy relationships between politicians and businesses, and basically no one gives a gently caress.

Also, Bellingcat DO seem to invest resources in empowering people to investigate or debunk things: https://www.bellingcat.com/category/resources/how-tos/

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bellingcatchat is worse than nukechat imo

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Nothingtoseehere posted:

The funny thing of bellingcat is one goon in a basement showing up the whole military espionage complex - that the NSA spend so much money and effort reading everything and couldn't see what what is plain sight and public on youtube.

except it doesn't even do this

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Investigating domestic corruption would be a hugely thankless task, as it's all out in the open anyway. Every single edition of Private Eye has dozens of stories detailing the cosy relationships between politicians and businesses, and basically no one gives a gently caress.

Yeah I get why they went with taking money to do more of the same propaganda instead of getting no money to investigate corruption and suiciding themselves into a locked suitcase

E I do think part of the reason no-one gives a gently caress is that it's only in private eye though

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/marwoldeb/status/1341853041390219264?s=20

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

Katt posted:

We could use that lab grown meat tech to make flesh sacks that we store cargo in.

So after you take out your eggs you can skin and cook the flesh sack too.

I suppose for heavier cargo we would need some form of flesh/bone construction for structural integrity. Probably some hair for insulation if the cargo is temperature sensitive.

So some kind of Katt?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Speaking only for myself I wanted Bellingcat to focus on domestic corruption which was part of the original pitch and is an area that is lacking in the UK

I don't care about anti Russian propaganda yeah theyr bad but we don't live there and it's not an area in need of new posters

was it part of the pitch? its initial successes were crowdsourced investigation of events in East Ukraine and Syria from someone's home in the UK

certainly in the mid 2010s there was a flurry of enthusiasm on the left that the Snowden revelations would be the Arthur Posonby of our time but that didn't pan out - instead bellingcat seems to have grown out of a 'are we being dodgy dossier'd again' anxiety

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

the actions of the Russian government do extend beyond their own borders, so "I don't live there" is an odd take

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

great christmas jumper

https://twitter.com/harriepw/status/1341803818783305730?s=20

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Great, now the starving kids are antisemitic.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Jose posted:

brown moses loves to meltdown and attack people when they show him up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmKsECGQvoY&t=2232s
I don't think anyone is getting 'shown up' by Ted Postol. He's one of the many commentators that gets trotted out on RT and used as a front for Russian propaganda (whether willingly or as a useful idiot, probably the latter).

Jose posted:

lol but i tracked down his big embarrassing election meltdown so i'll stop now https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3905288&userid=27232
... hardly a meltdown. He shared news that the Russians leaked a document that was used by Labour to make political attacks, while pointing out he himself remains a labour supporter...

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Ewan posted:

I don't think anyone is getting 'shown up' by Ted Postol. He's one of the many commentators that gets trotted out on RT and used as a front for Russian propaganda (whether willingly or as a useful idiot, probably the latter).

lol at doing exactly what brown moses does in the video

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Here is the BBC's mealy-mouthed response to complaints about giving JK Rowling a Best Up and Coming Transphobe award

quote:

Thank you for getting in touch about our article 'The winners: The 2020 Russell Prize for best writing' (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-55350905).

Amol Rajan repeatedly made clear he was not taking a view on the subject of JK Rowling’s essay and acknowledged the severity of offence that some people had taken to what she’d written.

He did not detract from that when he objectively praised the writing style, her honesty in talking about her own experiences of domestic and sexual abuse, and the bravery required to express a viewpoint knowing it will lead to further online abuse.

Thank you once again for getting in touch.

If you complained, don't forget to keep escalating until it gets to Ofcom