Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Only once have I run into a "named myself someone the game already has" issue (because most games prevent it and my name is kinda rare). I dropped the last letter off my name for Golden Sun, because it was limited to 5 characters, and well whaddya know, the very first party member was named exactly that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Labyrinth of Refrain just did some weirdness and its writing continues to plummet even though Im frantically skipping things.

1) Every once in a while the game makes you exit the dungeon to do something narrative+get something to progress in the dungeon. I like this, it gives a good flow. Except It just sort of stopped doing this near the start of the third dungeon. It still tells you to report back, but it doesn't stop you. Moreover, I just kept chugging, skipped the third boss, went to the 4th area and unlocked the 5th area since you don't need to progress the story at all to do that and now have no idea what level or curve or anything is supposed to be. It did seem to catch up to me when I finally finished the active quest I skipped over, so thats nice.

2) The third boss wrecked my poo poo when I fought it the first time, hence wandering off to do something else. Well when I returned it still wrecked my poo poo because as far as I can tell its purely a gimmick where when its low on health it does a group wide attack that will absolutely murder every one of your party members unless they guard or dodge it. First two times nobody avoided it. Third time inexplicably everyone one but one dodged it and I killed the boss next turn no issue since otherwise it was completely non threatening. Fun!

3) This games writing is seriously giving me flashbacks to that grooming rpg module. The end if dungeon three a character admits to you they lied to their government; murdered everyone else on their expedition (several of which you are forced to graphically witness their agonizing deaths), you accidentally protected them from dying to another character trying to be proactive and kill them, that they lied about literally everything involved, lured you into harms way hoping you would die and make the boss full and sleepy so they could get what they wanted, and used children as disposable shields and suicide bombers with an intention of murdering any survivors once they got the treasure. They admit this all while fully defenseless, and gloating at you, then the item they did it all for doesn't work. You then just walk alway while they are sad and leave them be in peace.

No, no, no, no no no no no no game. No.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

kirbysuperstar posted:

Only once have I run into a "named myself someone the game already has" issue (because most games prevent it and my name is kinda rare). I dropped the last letter off my name for Golden Sun, because it was limited to 5 characters, and well whaddya know, the very first party member was named exactly that.

I've never pulled this specifically but one of my go-to Hero Names is "Seneca", and in Dragon Quest XI there two major characters named "Serena" and "Serenica" and things got a little sticky for a while.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've never run into the name problem because while my name is a fairly common English name, it's not common in fantasy. Though in Star Ocean 2, naming Claude after myself resulted in some fun when his last name turned out to be very similar to mine.

Fake Edit: Actually it happened once in Wild Arms 2, when a minor NPC and reference to a Marvel character had the same name I gave to Ashley.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

kirbysuperstar posted:

Hello, Gareta.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If there is a default I slam pick it and if there isn't, we go to the flowchart of naming schemes where you'll end up with either and old germanic, chinese, or object class group naming based on how many people I have to name, the type of RPG, and how recognizable different characters are in a menu.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

This is why I only choose characters from other media properties.

Meet the protagonist of Persona 5: Solid Snake-kun and the PATRIOTS

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

YggiDee posted:

I've never pulled this specifically but one of my go-to Hero Names is "Seneca", and in Dragon Quest XI there two major characters named "Serena" and "Serenica" and things got a little sticky for a while.

I often use Redd as my default rpg name and that got fun in DQ8.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Playing Yakuza: Like a Dragon and I just beat up multiple Yakuza in diapers and then learned about empathy from them. This is the best series

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
sooo how are the divinity games?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Tired Moritz posted:

Original sin 2 is one of the best co-op games every made. Just full "Stupid Goblin Player D&D" level dumb.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Elvis_Maximus posted:

This is why I only choose characters from other media properties.

Meet the protagonist of Persona 5: Solid Snake-kun and the PATRIOTS

I had a period where I named every SMT protagonist after a famous musician. The part where David Bowie went to hell in Antarctica was particularly fun.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

D:OS1 is a very mediocre tactical turn-based RPG that's probably not worth your time. Comparatively, D:OS2 is easily one of the best tactical turn-based RPGs ever released. There's a huge number of tools to approach any given encounter with, and the game outright encourages you to get almost exploitatively creative with the environment in order to gain an advantage. The plot's pretty forgettable, but the characters are all well-written and the dialogue's got a streak of Pratchett-esque wit that's genuinely quite funny. If you like TTRPGs at all, it's a hard recommend.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
cool. good thing I asked before I got suckered in by those reviews.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tired Moritz posted:

Do you enjoy explosions and setting your foes on fire

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
last time i played there were flames everywhere after a battle and my pet chicken trotted right into them and died immediately :(

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Vermain posted:

D:OS1 is a very mediocre tactical turn-based RPG that's probably not worth your time.
i can vouch for this, i put 70 hours into the first game this year and regret it

battles just take sooooo looooooonnngggggggg and they're like every 5 feet. too much battling not enough roleplaying

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I just name my main character Bort and it all works out.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
My default charname is still Zombor, thanks Chrono Trigger.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Zushio posted:

I just name my main character Bort and it all works out.
Nothing wrong with that, strong name

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

This is why you name all your dudes Hiro.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I still find the stories of people playing Bahamut Lagoon and naming the main char and female lead after Theirself and their current GF leading to IRL breakups funny

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Elderbean posted:

This is why you name all your dudes BUTT.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

YggiDee posted:

The first time I played Persona 5 I gave my character the first name Ryuji, which made the experience interesting.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like that in vp2 lezard is trying to act like a good guy but he's literally incapable of not being the most evil fucker in the universe so he's still constantly shouting "hahaha... these weaklings... they truly think they can match up to my might...? we shall crush them like the worms they are..."

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
The only times the name thing happened to me are in Shadowrun: Hong Kong, where I named ther first character Isobel as a given name, then the team hacker NPC goes by Is0bel.

Then there was FF12, not that you could name them there. I would usually name my characters Vahn if they were male, so Vaan being so close was a happy coincidence.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
been playing ffiv in short sessions with a patch that backports most of the gba tl into the original snes version. it's interesting how much the game accomplishes narratively with a fairly limited range to convey itself, bits like the world map camera zooming out to show the red wings bombing a castle as soon as you arrive and the scene with edward at the lake are fun ways of showing those story beats in a way that was probly really impressive for the time

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

The Colonel posted:

i like that in vp2 lezard is trying to act like a good guy but he's literally incapable of not being the most evil fucker in the universe so he's still constantly shouting "hahaha... these weaklings... they truly think they can match up to my might...? we shall crush them like the worms they are..."

lezard carries vp2 for me in general, like the absurd lengths he goes to for some loving

i love explaining the plot to friends

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

The Colonel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNJzIVgtyAc

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

I got this pretty quickly after getting him and was like lmao this is totally post VP1 Lezard

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i love that lezard was like the really easy stand-out part of vp1 and tri-ace obviously realized it so hard that they were like "uhhh. what if we just make vp2 the lezard game." and then they loving did it

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

OneDeadman posted:

I still find the stories of people playing Bahamut Lagoon and naming the main char and female lead after Theirself and their current GF leading to IRL breakups funny

What?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
things do not go well for the main couple in bahamut lagoon.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

things do not go well for the main couple in bahamut lagoon.

Speaking as a foreign general, I think they go great

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

ive been playing bof II on the switch on and off for a while now and getting pretty far but this latest stretch of dungeons has been utterly miserable

-first was highfort, the dungeon that has the solo section with sten. even with a fully leveled sten it still loving sucks
-next was becoming tiny to go into the fat princess to make her thin again, which was a very confusing maze with a very poorly explained gimmick where you have to grind random encounters until they stop showing up
-and now im inside some trees mind and the dungeon is a teleporter maze, with a really high encounter rate and really annoying fights, AND a gimmick where a big circle surrounds you and you cannot see anything inside the circle. this last one is particularly dire and its breaking my will to go on

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
bofiv felt like a game that was nearly a generation behind its competition as a 2000 psx game in terms of design so i can't imagine what the older games are like tbh

i can kinda see why people are attached to the traditional jrpg bofs but at the same time i feel like capcom was slow as a snail in figuring out basic jrpg design let alone catching up to something as basic as wild arms

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 25, 2020

Barudak
May 7, 2007

BoF1 is wonderful because you do the first boss fight and they have no fooling a healthbar and you think "oh man, this was really ahead of its time" and then by about the third boss they have the majority to over 90% of their health remaining when you deplete the bar and it just sits there mocking you.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

BoF2 was good because if you used a fire spell it could set the trees in the background on fire

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Barudak posted:

BoF1 is wonderful because you do the first boss fight and they have no fooling a healthbar and you think "oh man, this was really ahead of its time" and then by about the third boss they have the majority to over 90% of their health remaining when you deplete the bar and it just sits there mocking you.

bof 1 is good, but "ahead of its time" is not the description i would use for any aspect of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It had nicer graphics than 90% of the other RPGs around at the time lol