Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've almost finished the Monkey King DLC which is nice. I'm at the final part of the Mind Palace DLC chapter, which is interesting because it combines gameplay from the main game in ways you haven't seen before, then adds other traps and new puzzles that didn't exist before on top of THAT. So all the mechanics that were fairly basic before during the main game now have new meaning. The challenges start off fairly basic to give you an idea, but some of them end up more involved than anything in the main game, especially the stealth levels because you have to be clever and know how to navigate, and sometimes things that were traps in prior levels are now boons, like using the retracting spiked walls that only slowed you down before to stay out of the sight of a monster on the other side of the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Vandar posted:

The actual volleyball in those games is shockingly okay.

it whips rear end AND tits

Sick Ness Monster
Dec 25, 2016
In Cyberpunk, I'm enjoying the large variety of sitting animations that V has. You sit down many times throughout the game, and I think I've only seen a couple times where they've been reused. Sometimes they'll have their feet crossed, other times one leg propped on the chair, and so on. Makes things feel a lot more authentic than when everyone shares the same sitting animation.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Ruffian Price posted:

hell yeah some of GTA IV's animation stuff I've only seen matched/beaten in The Last of Us 2

When I first played IV I made Nico walk up and down the stairs like 20 time. I just blew my mind that he would reach out and grab the banister.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

bony tony posted:

Staircases are just slopes with fancy textures on them

I remember making maps back in UT99 days, and you had to put the effort in! Every step was a 6 sided rectangle, they even had a dedicated stair tool which would just stack a bunch of them with different lengths, but if you wanted something like a winding stair case you would be placing every step manually, and aligning the textures on each side yourself.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

grittyreboot posted:

When I first played IV I made Nico walk up and down the stairs like 20 time. I just blew my mind that he would reach out and grab the banister.

The Euphoria engine was used very well in that game

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

verbal enema posted:

The Euphoria engine was used very well in that game

Apparently the reason nobody else really took to Euphoria was that it is difficult to work with and your game has to be designed around it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

A little thing I like about Death Stranding (related to walking animations and such) is that when Sam is on a ladder, you just have to hold down, no matter what direction the camera is facing, for him to climb down.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Im replaying Horizon Zero Dawn and Aloy’s tough guy act cracks me up sometime.

Like I just got to this encampment where I’m supposed to ask the leader there how I get to this next territory.

Leader: You want to go there? Good luck, their soldiers will stop you before you get anywhere close

Aloy: They can try :ninja:

Leader: No what I mean is there’s a huge fort and road block with checks that will stop you on the way.

e: I also love how done with everyone’s poo poo she is.

Just did another quest where I had to go find this guys friends who were exploring an area they shouldn’t. Save them, head back and tell the guy.

Guy: Oh thank goodness, I hope my friends don’t get in trouble.

Aloy: Ah they’ll be fine, the Matriarchs are up singing the Hymn of Atonement

Guy: you’re right! The Hymn atones for all!

Aloy: ...that’s not what I meant but okay

Joey Freshwater has a new favorite as of 14:49 on Dec 20, 2020

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In A Plague Tale: Innocence you can pet your dog. Then it gets horribly devoured by rats.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Alhazred posted:

In A Plague Tale: Innocence you can pet your dog. Then it gets horribly devoured by rats.

Yeah they don't waste any time setting the scene in that game, haha.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Its almost like magic, this was release today related to the small stuff in GTA and Rockstar in general

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0POJRoRCzw

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Alhazred posted:

I was destined to not get far in that game because I have pet rats and started playing it in early March, plus that kind of... slow paced linear third person gameplay does nothing for me?

It's weird because I love games with weighty, deliberate gameplay but Plague Tale fits into a specific type that just immediately kills my interest. "Piloting a tank person through a movie set" kinda game. Tomb Raider reboot watching Lara climb a cliff and bits of it fall off and she waves her arms a bit then keeps going and you were never in any actual danger kinda game. I hope this makes Sense. Thank you.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

TontoCorazon posted:

Its almost like magic, this was release today related to the small stuff in GTA and Rockstar in general

The flip flops made me :aaaaa:

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

TontoCorazon posted:

'Horses react to different temperatures' is probably one of the more attentive little details I've seen in a game for some time.

The flip flops were pretty cool but when it said 'they disconnect' I was expecting them to wear out at the toe and need replacing.

This is pretty relevant to Rockstar games, a bit of satire makes me appreciate these moments a little more:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iP468OEln4U

TheMostFrench has a new favorite as of 06:24 on Dec 21, 2020

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Demon's Souls has a super obscure but very well designed loot mechanic in one level that nobody figured out for years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsLi7gx8Wrg

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

Necrothatcher posted:

Demon's Souls has a super obscure but very well designed loot mechanic in one level that nobody figured out for years.

This sentence right here is like loving catnip to me. You could 100% lure me into a murdervan with poo poo like this.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Bussamove posted:

Hair is hard. If you have it move all as one piece it looks unnatural, if you have it move independently but don’t do it properly you get wacky waving inflatable arm-flailing tube hair going every which-a-way. Then if it doesn’t move at all you get the rubber wig situation.

alternatively you go bloodborne beast fur physics where they're almost like a matted fur tentacle waving around and it is a very disquieting effect

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

My favorite thing in all things Warriors games (Dyntasty Warriors, Samurai Warriors, etc.) is that nearly every game has at LEAST one character with a giant gently caress-off laser beam attack.

Hyrule Warriors: Age of Calamity doesn't disappoint.

Master Kogha's specialty is shooting out a laser beam once he gets stressed out enough. It even has a great name like "giant dazzling beam" or something along those lines.

Terakko also gets a laser beam for his special attack and hoo boy this one is something else! It is the definition of a giant gently caress-off laser beam. It takes up the entire screen, is 10x the size of little Terakko and just wrecks poo poo. Think of Cyclops' beam special in the Street Fighter Vs. Capcom games and that's Terakko's laser beam.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Not really a "Little thing", but I started up a run of Chrono Trigger, and I am amused myself greatly by named Chrono " Dude"

Started naming everyone slang names like that.
Well, will try to. Think will quickly run out

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Fella
Buddy
Guy
Frndo
Pal
Chum

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Yes! those are good! I used Buddy already, and Frog is "Ese"

Pretty sure I will use Frndo.

Hrmm...how do you feel about Robo being "Chum"?

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Frog should be Thou. Robo should be Sport

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I always name Robo "R66Y" so his triumphant rejection of his old identity is nonsensical.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

It's baffling that Chrono Trigger isn't on the SNES Classic or Switch

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

grittyreboot posted:

It's baffling that Chrono Trigger isn't on the SNES Classic or Switch

SquareEnix is weird about its older games. It’s a fair bit they don’t have the source code anymore.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

CT was definitely tested on the SNES Classic, it runs perfectly

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
CT got a DS port, they absolutely got the code

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Chrono Trigger also has a smartphone and Steam port, based on the DS version.

There's two problems with Square-Enix and re-releasing old games, and it happens every single time. It's most obvious with Final Fantasy, but it happens with everything else too, when it happens with them at all.

1. Bizarrely random choices of platform. Final Fantasies 1 and 2 are currently only on smartphones, which is strangely also true of Tactics. Everything after that has gotten a PC release, but for a handful of them that's all you've got, for others they do have remasters on consoles but there's no real rhyme or reason to which ones or in what order.

2. Any time they have a remaster or remake available, that's what they release, not the original, unless a virtual/classic console situation comes along. Even when the remake is heavily reliant on the players knowing the original game (FFIII, FFIV, eventually FFVII and we need to realize this), even when the remake is widely considered a step down from previous versions (FFV, FFVI), even when the UI of the remake is terrible for the platform (Any given smartphone port on Steam, but also weirdly the Tactics port on mobile). They will always go for the remake over the original.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
To be fair, iirc Japan has no problem with how rear end FF5/6 look, they were genuinely perplexed when it was brought up.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Last Celebration posted:

To be fair, iirc Japan has no problem with how rear end FF5/6 look, they were genuinely perplexed when it was brought up.

And also to be fair, everything about the 5 and 6 remakes that isn't the character sprites looks great, the upscaling on enemy sprites makes for some really good images. But oh god, with all the time you spend looking at the character sprites...

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Last time I checked Steam versions of FF 5/6/7 weren't even available in Japanese, and on phones it's probably not as bad as on a big screen. At any rate "Japan" obviously isn't a hive mind and I don't doubt people's opinions on them vary a great deal there as anywhere.

Kanfy has a new favorite as of 12:54 on Dec 25, 2020

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
There are a lot of little animation touches in Immortals Fenyx Rising (particularly the way Fenyx excitedly opens chests) but I really like one of the idle animations where your bird companion flies around you and spreads it wings then Fenyx spreads the wings of daidalos at the bird in response doing a whole "omg same" type thing.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

The Pathless is another good game for having beautifully expressive, adorable eagle companion.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

An odd "little thing", but I do like how the main story in Spider-Man: Miles Morales is a self-contained story. Sure it's shorter than Spider-Man's story was, but at the same time, its more enjoyable because it JUST focuses on Rexxon/The Underground, unlike Spider-Man's, which bounced all over the place because the developers wanted to have the Inner Demons and Kingpins gang, AND the rise of Doc Ock, AND the Sinister Six (which means storyline missions where you capture the various members of the Sinister Six before that) all as central focus. It felt more like how a storyline in the comics would be.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I remember that whole cel-shaded look got a ton of flak when it first became a thing, mostly from Wind Waker, but goddamn has it aged so much better than the browntastic 'realistic' look that was favoured over it.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember that whole cel-shaded look got a ton of flak when it first became a thing, mostly from Wind Waker, but goddamn has it aged so much better than the browntastic 'realistic' look that was favoured over it.

xiii looked great with it. new xiii looks poo poo

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm playing through Assassin's Creed Odyssey and I love the fact that my eagle will swoop down sometimes to take care of snakes for me. gently caress snakes so hard in that game.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Ikaros is a good boy who deserves all the pets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Accept no substitutes.