Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

loving lol this is not the first time I've seen this poo poo pulled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

oh dear i hope those offices don't fail a being on fire test

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

look, good television scifi is as rare as dilithium an--wait where are you taking me. no! noo!!

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
There's a really good chance that the guy DID design the tripod to his specs and contracted it out to some factory that will sell them to anybody. Even if there was an 'exclusivity' in his contract it's completely unenforceable in Chinese courts.

This poo poo happens all the time, it's just not usually Amazon itself but another seller.

Tyrgle
Apr 3, 2009
Nap Ghost

Remulak posted:

There's a really good chance that the guy DID design the tripod to his specs and contracted it out to some factory that will sell them to anybody. Even if there was an 'exclusivity' in his contract it's completely unenforceable in Chinese courts.

Even if he did do that, there's nothing stopping Amazon or anyone else from just copying his design and putting their logo on it in China or the US unless he had a design patent.

If he did do some customization, it would almost certainly be of the sort "dear alibaba merchant, in addition to my brand name could I also have a better knob on this part?"

e: I checked on Alibaba and there were >100 pages worth of ads for tripods from factories in China that would be happy to put Groverhaus on as your logo and send some drawings of a knob to an engineer if you make a big enough order.

Tyrgle has issued a correction as of 01:05 on Dec 25, 2020

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

alibaba nipple clamps with built in computer controlled shocker that i can program to go off every time i get emptyquoted

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

T-man posted:

alibaba nipple clamps with built in computer controlled shocker that i can program to go off every time i get emptyquoted

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

T-man posted:

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Volmarias posted:

The show still shows elliptical orbits. The engine meant that going into space outside of vanity projects like colonizing Mars was now feasible, because now you don't have to dedicate most of your ship to fuel, and you can do stuff like harvest ice asteroids.

As an aside, the closest thing I've seen to The Expanse: Space Combat: The Game is Children of a Dead Earth. If you're interested in plotting missile intercepts in retrograde orbits, do check it out.

I just want to say that game looks loving wild and apparently it's on sale for 90% off, I just spent less than three dollars to get put on a watchlist thank you goon

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

The ship aesthetic in Children of a Dead Earth is really cool, the creator wrote some blog entries on how they ended up looking like that. He wrote the physics first and then figured out what you could actually build if you had nuclear fission rockets like the ones NASA put a bit of research into in like the 70s. Not psychotic Project Orion nuclear pulse poo poo, just using a reactor to heat up reaction mass and spit it out the back.

The gist is that there wasn't very much weight to spare for armor so the ships had to be convex to reduce surface area. The armour itself is mostly a thin layer of aluminum or carbon, and there isn't any mass to spare on covering it with paint except for faction markings. The ships had to be long to allow for adequate radiation shielding between the reactor and crew compartment, especially since the mass that could be spared for shielding was at a premium. The ships were slender to reduce the cross-section presented to an enemy during head-on or broadside approaches. Over 50% of the mass and most of the internal volume is reaction mass since you need a lot of it to get anywhere.

Also IMO the coolest thing are the glowing red-hot radiators. The reactor generates a bunch of waste heat and the only place for it to go is to radiate it into space, and the radiators connected to the reactors get really hot.

There's so much heat generated that there's no hiding in space and the only way to throw off heat seeking missiles is to dump flares that emit even more heat than your ship

Some people on this forum have redesigned the stock ships to optimize them further and they ended up looking like rocketships from Buck Rogers except with glowing radiators where the rocket fins should be which I think is a great look

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

ElMaligno posted:

Shifty Nipples posted:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

BattleMaster posted:

The ship aesthetic in Children of a Dead Earth is really cool, the creator wrote some blog entries on how they ended up looking like that. He wrote the physics first and then figured out what you could actually build if you had nuclear fission rockets like the ones NASA put a bit of research into in like the 70s. Not psychotic Project Orion nuclear pulse poo poo, just using a reactor to heat up reaction mass and spit it out the back.

The gist is that there wasn't very much weight to spare for armor so the ships had to be convex to reduce surface area. The armour itself is mostly a thin layer of aluminum or carbon, and there isn't any mass to spare on covering it with paint except for faction markings. The ships had to be long to allow for adequate radiation shielding between the reactor and crew compartment, especially since the mass that could be spared for shielding was at a premium. The ships were slender to reduce the cross-section presented to an enemy during head-on or broadside approaches. Over 50% of the mass and most of the internal volume is reaction mass since you need a lot of it to get anywhere.

Also IMO the coolest thing are the glowing red-hot radiators. The reactor generates a bunch of waste heat and the only place for it to go is to radiate it into space, and the radiators connected to the reactors get really hot.

There's so much heat generated that there's no hiding in space and the only way to throw off heat seeking missiles is to dump flares that emit even more heat than your ship

Some people on this forum have redesigned the stock ships to optimize them further and they ended up looking like rocketships from Buck Rogers except with glowing radiators where the rocket fins should be which I think is a great look

Those of you who lust for more hard sci-fi concepts may find this site to be an extremely pro click. Ignore the fact that it looks like it was made for Geocities in 2000, and use the index all the way at the very bottom for navigation.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer

Volmarias posted:

Those of you who lust for more hard sci-fi concepts may find this site to be an extremely pro click. Ignore the fact that it looks like it was made for Geocities in 2000, and use the index all the way at the very bottom for navigation.

Rocketpunk best punk

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

That's really cool, I tried to get into Children of a Dead Earth but I just couldn't grasp the interface or the orbital intercept mechanics. I'll have to give it another shot because I find it super interesting. I can do alright in kerbal space program, I understand ISP, gravity turns, resonance orbits and all that jazz. I remember finding the CoaDE interface too fiddly, like I'd make a tiny mouse adjustment the resulting accuracy would be wildly off. I either need more time with it, or I need to train my brain to operate on a new dimension. Would MechJeb make it more fun? In the article the humans are already relegated to grand strategic decisions, so we might as well have a surgical maneuver plotter in the game.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Volmarias posted:

holy poo poo that site is incredible

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

holy poo poo that site is incredible

I spent an hour reading and then realized I was only like 5% of the way through one of dozens of sections. This thing should be a book.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Volmarias posted:

I remember reading a lot of this site 5ish years ago. Unless I am mistaken they changed their site layout drastically since then. Which means the author considers the current layout to be modern.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

VictualSquid posted:

I remember reading a lot of this site 5ish years ago. Unless I am mistaken they changed their site layout drastically since then. Which means the author considers the current layout to be modern.

Yeah, I kept looking for what I think may have been the original thing condensed into one page.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

StashAugustine posted:

Jeff Bezos getting laid is a price I'm willing to pay for The Expanse

if i had 200 billion dollars, i could probably figure out a way to get laid without starting my own production company

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The Nastier Nate posted:

if i had 200 billion dollars, i could probably figure out a way to get laid without starting my own production company

If you have 200bil you don't have to. Just go with the first idea that pops into your head regardless of cost.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

The Nastier Nate posted:

jeff bezos is like Q. he doesn't want to use his power to make people fall in love with him, even though he could snap his fingers and do it instantly. the only way for him to get off is if they come willingly

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Rutibex posted:

jeff bezos is like Q. he doesn't want to use his power to make people fall in love with him, even though he could snap his fingers and do it instantly. the only way for him to get off is if they come willingly

Hell no. He's only in it to have a massive power imbalance in the relationship and wants people to sleep with him because they think it will help their career. He's going the Weinstein route.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

nobody who wants women to fall in love with them organically sends dick pics. thats a "power" move

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Every photo of Bezos is a dick pic.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Platystemon posted:

:hmmyes:

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Platystemon posted:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Main Paineframe posted:

always a good sign when the self-drivimg truck company has to explicitly assure people that the trucks are in fact capable of turning left

trolling the dale earnhardt fans

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Jonny 290 posted:

trolling the dale earnhardt fans

and the DNC

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
they’re all fans of ‘88’

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wrong thread

Carthag Tuek has issued a correction as of 06:25 on Dec 26, 2020

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Platystemon posted:

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

The meat:

quote:

To turn their accounts back on, Amazon often requests that the sellers provide details on who manufactures their product along with invoices from the manufacturer so that Amazon can verify authenticity. Several sellers told the Journal they provided those details to Amazon to get their accounts reinstated, only for Amazon to introduce its own version of their products using the same manufacturer.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

lol

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

it's not illegal if it's amazon

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star they let you do it. You can do anything.”

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Platystemon posted:

“I don’t even wait. And when you’re a star they let you do it. You can do anything.”

Grab 'em by the producer.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Amazon....ya basic!

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

i just learned that a friend of a friend is a covid contact tracer for the CDC

but is also using the WFH aspect of the job to travel the world, hopping on flights, driving, etc and visiting practically every major city in the US and doing bar crawls and poo poo lol just setting off superspreader bombs and then hightailing it outta there

when they told me about this i immediately started picturing like a detective who is also a serial killer who has been tasked by their commanding officer to investigate themself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
I just learned about crypto art. Bitcoin+”rare” digital art. The stupid Nifty website mentions that it lets you permanently “own” digital art like they’ve never heard of right click+save as. Also for being “rare” in pretty sure I’ve seen 4K versions of a lot of that art on Artstation and other portfolio websites.