Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Continuity NIP posted:

What are they going to do, send in the tank?

Just send the police to beat in some heads? The Catalonian separatists had some serious street numbers that weren't afraid of a little tear gas. We have yet to see what the SNP has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Italians? But how will they make the feast of seven fishes

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The British Government basically has the "Jinxed" trait from Fallout so if the Scots try to go independence the UK will send in their tanks, every single one of which will fall into a ditch miles from the Scottish border, while the Scottish independent government gets into such a bitter fight over who to put on the postage stamps that Glasgow burns down.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Tulip posted:

The British Government basically has the "Jinxed" trait from Fallout so if the Scots try to go independence the UK will send in their tanks, every single one of which will fall into a ditch miles from the Scottish border, while the Scottish independent government gets into such a bitter fight over who to put on the postage stamps that Glasgow burns down.

Int 1, Lck 1, Jinxed Super Sledge run.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
Now that there is a deal, a heads up for any UK goons living in the EU and intending to stay there: In most places you will have a few months to indicate your intentions to your local immigration agency, which will give you a residence permit without having to go through the process of application. If you wait until after that deadline you might have to deal with that application, so just do it ASAP in January.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?

Honj Steak posted:

Now that there is a deal, a heads up for any UK goons living in the EU and intending to stay there: In most places you will have a few months to indicate your intentions to your local immigration agency, which will give you a residence permit without having to go through the process of application. If you wait until after that deadline you might have to deal with that application, so just do it ASAP in January.

Got a residency card that's guaranteed for 5 years. Later found out it wasn't necessary anyway and I was good with the residency document I already had (having been automatically grandfathered)

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Honj Steak posted:

this is all nonsense just do like they did back in the old days and plant a British flag wherever you’re standing. boom you’re in the UK again

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i hate brexit but I hate the rubberneckers who want to look at people starving and in pain more

have a loving look at yourselves

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

crispix posted:

i hate brexit but I hate the rubberneckers who want to look at people starving and in pain more

is this what brexit means?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Honj Steak posted:

Already done.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

crispix posted:

lol this is america buddy

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

multijoe posted:

I do think Scottish nationalists should be prepared for the Tories not permitting another vote and not accepting the result of one held without their consent. The failure of the Catalan independence movement is probably making them feel pretty confident about the viability of just sending in the troops and bashing some peoples heads without too much international blowback if push comes to shove

I would hazard a wild guess here saying that the two cases are somewhat different

given that the Scots constituted a kingdom far before Catalonia was even remotely a thing, and the idea of a separate Catalan country in the way we see it now is a far more modern concept (because it isn't some reactionary reset about the kingdom of Aragón after all), it feels from a very far away outsider perspective that the Scottish independence has a far more powerful cultural charge in terms of resistance

besides, Sinn Féin would be glad to be of assistance lmao

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also, importantly, they get to own the brits

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also, importantly, they get to own the brits
This is a really important consideration. Not that many countries care to own the Castilians, especially not powerful ones, but the English? They've got historical rivalries with major European powers whose flames have been fanned by the English for generations, actual territorial disputes with a European state in good standing, plus the justified anger of hundreds of millions if not billions of former colonial subjects or victims of empire working against them, some of them represented by increasingly powerful states themselves.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Will the Northumbria movement get anywhere or is it just meme. What other regions of England might get their own fringe separatist/autonomist parties, what’s this about the Yorkshire Party or the Wessex Regionalists

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Besides, even mf'n Spain already said that they're cool with Scotland separating from the UK and rejoining the EU on their former terms, so in the eyes of the international community there's zero comparison to Catalonia.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

barbecue at the folks posted:

Besides, even mf'n Spain already said that they're cool with Scotland separating from the UK and rejoining the EU on their former terms, so in the eyes of the international community there's zero comparison to Catalonia.
Under the condition of it being the result of a legal referendum.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Maximo Roboto posted:

Will the Northumbria movement get anywhere or is it just meme. What other regions of England might get their own fringe separatist/autonomist parties, what’s this about the Yorkshire Party or the Wessex Regionalists

Wasn't there a bunch of funny-talking cornish folk who wanted to separate?

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

spankmeister posted:

Wasn't there a bunch of funny-talking cornish folk who wanted to separate?

Mebyon Kernow are legit. The Cornish are extremely not English.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

increasingly smaller sections of england secede until the queen rules the city of london alone

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Jazerus posted:

increasingly smaller sections of england secede until the queen rules the city of london alone
The Queen would move to Balmoral and still rule Scotland.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Queen will live out her days in exile in The Netherlands like Kaiser Wilhelm after WW1

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm pro American rubberneckers laughing at us cause we deserve it and we do it to everyone else

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I might become a fisherman and drive my boat right up to the white cliffs of dover and catch all the fish just to rub it in.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

crispix posted:

It's actually extremely funny that the most destructive empire in history is imploding even further

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

It's also very funny because they chose to suffer and ignored every chance of reversing it or suffering less just because

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's actually extremely funny that the most destructive empire in history is imploding even further

Posted from the moral high ground of empire #2 lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

If you're gonna cry about poor people being hurt you're not gonna be able to laugh at literally anything in the UK

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Continuity NIP posted:

Posted from the moral high ground of empire #2 lol

I'm in the Philippines, friend

And the UK still managed to occupy us for a while during the Seven Years War

Facehammer
Mar 11, 2008

I cannot blame anyone else for laughing at our misery at all. As a country we brought this entirely on ourselves.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
people are saying that the British are a degenerate race of small minded fish people who keep voting for bad things to happen to themselves, and they're right

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

XMNN posted:

people are saying that the British are a degenerate race of small minded fish people who keep voting for bad things to happen to themselves, and they're right

Oh so the British are Insmouthers? That...actually explains a lot.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

An insane mind posted:

Oh so the British are Insmouthers? That...actually explains a lot.

Innsmouth but with more inbreeding & slightly less tolerance for outsiders

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Continuity NIP posted:

Mebyon Kernow are legit. The Cornish are extremely not English.

Yeah Cornish independence has been at least a dream for probably centuries and they're currently undergoing some amount of devolution from Westminster as a nod to it.

gonadic io has issued a correction as of 12:53 on Dec 25, 2020

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

forkboy84 posted:

Innsmouth but with more inbreeding & slightly less tolerance for outsiders

It does explain why the access to fishing waters was such a sticking point.

But real talk, I feel really bad for the coming younger generations of Britons who have to deal with all the crap the Gamons have done to your country. And with Starmer basically wanting Labour to turn into paid opposition...like...how do you even start fixing it.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

An insane mind posted:

It does explain why the access to fishing waters was such a sticking point.

But real talk, I feel really bad for the coming younger generations of Britons who have to deal with all the crap the Gamons have done to your country. And with Starmer basically wanting Labour to turn into paid opposition...like...how do you even start fixing it.

Insurgency.

There's no British institution that anyone under 35 or so really cares about so between rising independence movements and general economy collapse anyone with a vision about what to do next will be able to find a body of people willing to agree with it and support it's creation against current British society.

Just got to stop that being fash.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the us and uk are comrades in being stupid, racist and cruel. that's oligarchies for you, i guess.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

Oi lad, it's Chrimbo innit.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
god save the queen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Fish beyond measure, uk goons. Merry Brexmas!