Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress I'd even watch a show about one of the Esoteric Wilson Books like the History of Polish Goalkeepers pre-world war 1 or whatever it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
if you want a quite good comedy about Football, The First Team is pretty good. No need to get Barney involved.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you want a good comedy about football, just watch arsenal haha

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
The ending to the Football Weekly Christmas pod was wonderful. I didn’t think Barry would be capable of saying something I’d find oddly moving (and then immediately loving it up in hilarious fashion)

Roundabout
Oct 31, 2006
It's Crumbelievable!
Agreed, the Football Weekly Christmas episode was fantastic. Barry was absolutely hilarious. I need to know though, what is the is the Max Rushden's microwave story? I tried to look it up but couldn't find it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Roundabout posted:

I need to know though, what is the is the Max Rushden's microwave story? I tried to look it up but couldn't find it.

On one of the earliest times Max hosted when James was on vacation, Rushden shoehorned in a story about living next door to British radio DJ Trevor Nelson and borrowing his microwave but never giving it back. That’s basically it.

It came off as trying to name drop and was a reason some fans/listeners were worried about Max taking over full time. That it’s become a reference to bash Max with is quite good.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

harperdc posted:

On one of the earliest times Max hosted when James was on vacation, Rushden shoehorned in a story about living next door to British radio DJ Trevor Nelson and borrowing his microwave but never giving it back. That’s basically it.

It came off as trying to name drop and was a reason some fans/listeners were worried about Max taking over full time. That it’s become a reference to bash Max with is quite good.

I could be wrong, but I think he may have told the story a second time without realising he had told it before.

I do remember how much the morons in the comments hated him guest hosting, though.

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.
Max’s best bits as a guest host were

3) Talking about managers clothes and ignoring the football until a panelist got annoyed
2) his b-list celebrity name drops
1) reading all the hate mail from his last pod

Also I think he mentioned that microwave story way more than twice... I feel like he made it a running gag but I can’t remember now.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Can't quite believe just how smashed Barry was. And Wilson, by the end!

It was a great pod.

They should get rid of Jordan though. His Christmas message was even more loving dour than Barney's, and the fact that he still semi seriously believes that Arteta is a better manager than Dean Smith is mind boggling.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

The Perfect Element posted:

Can't quite believe just how smashed Barry was. And Wilson, by the end!

It was a great pod.

They should get rid of Jordan though. His Christmas message was even more loving dour than Barney's, and the fact that he still semi seriously believes that Arteta is a better manager than Dean Smith is mind boggling.

Arteta is a better manager than Smith, but you're right, Jordan sucks. That said, he was pretty sporting about having to shoulder the pods collective white guilt that one time and humouring ronays dodgy opinion about millwall fans

Also, was I the only one who skipped all the cringe messages?

Simiain fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 26, 2020

Brass Hand
Feb 27, 2020
Athletico Mince rarely gets mean but the English Football Managers Dinner Club segment is brutal this week lol

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

The Perfect Element posted:

Is Jordan the sad sod who hated Christmas and Aston Villa? That message actually riled me up.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
That's hilarious that domenech wouldn't pick players for france that had clashing star signs. How did I never know that. Imagine how angry you would be if you missed out.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Xabi posted:

Is Jordan the sad sod who hated Christmas and Aston Villa? That message actually riled me up.

I did think it was quite finny how contrasted with Nicki Bandini's incredibly upbeat voice immediately after

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't learn anything about brexit but I am very interested in the career of Dillon Glendennig, Chelsea Left Back and NOT English International

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

I thought podcast chat was refreshing instead of all the nonstop chat about about COVID in football. Took me back to the halcyon days of normal life, going out and when people used to talk themselves in circles about Brexit non-stop instead.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
That guy who's like the 'league football expert' must be the most boring man alive. That '6/10' car park anecdote, christ.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I never really noticed, but Jonathan view is really bad

this last pod with liew, archie rhind-tutt and Jordan jarret-bryan is allround horrible actually

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

oliwan posted:

this last pod with liew, archie rhind-tutt and Jordan jarret-bryan is allround horrible actually

Are these real people lmao

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah but that kid bursts in and answers the Offside Question and that's adorable and funny.

But yeah, man, Barry really is the secret sauce when you don't have an heavy hitter like Sid or Jonathon Wilson on huh.

Also Blizzard's Great Games Podcast is great now it's on it's own feed, but mastered too low! So when I go from it to music my ears get annihilated by the volume change.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

oliwan posted:

I never really noticed, but Jonathan view is really bad

I remember his first football article in the guardian (I want to say he was a cricket guy before) and it was just a sea of deleted comments saying 'the loving state of this article'

Even now every column is just 'that player/thing everyone likes is bad, but player/thing that everyone hates is actually good'

grvm
Sep 27, 2007

The violent young pony.

algebra testes posted:

Also Blizzard's Great Games Podcast is great now it's on it's own feed, but mastered too low! So when I go from it to music my ears get annihilated by the volume change.

Most podcast apps allow you to define custom listening levels / vocal boost / etc. for individual pods. That might help your ears not get annihilated during a switch.

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
Max's "is everything alright at home" to Johnathan was class though.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/maxrushden/status/1355802531071369219?s=20

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

the sa forums > supposedly about sports > the jizz hornkamp

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

nobody likes a liar, Max

HappyCamperGL posted:

co-sign

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

HappyCamperGL posted:

Mods?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

HappyCamperGL posted:

It is time :haibrow:

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

HappyCamperGL posted:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

HappyCamperGL posted:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Strong recommendation to Blizzard Pod: Ghana 3 Equatorial Guinea 0

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Jordan Jarret Bryan is terrible why do they keep inviting him on. I mean I enjoy Max ribbing him about the hot takes but he seems to mostly have terrible quite cold takes and quite earnestly thinks Arsenal are great.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
i have never heard a word spoken by jordan jarret bryan but if his finisher isnt the stone cold stunner then hes failed as a professional wrestler

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

My fave thing about Jordan Jarret Bryan is how in his two previous pods he stated - without irony - that the best pundits don’t take themselves too seriously and how the worst cling onto the old cliches and need to actually pay attention and follow what is happening in football.

This from a guy who came onto the Xmas special to announce that he doesn’t celebrate Christmas because he doesn’t have kids so what’s the point and still thinks Arsenal are a top club.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Still take him over neckbeard Lars tho

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

oliwan posted:

Still take him over neckbeard Lars tho

At least Lars does know quite a lot about football, though. Jordan has like, pub level insight at absolute best.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Covid causing the leagues to do away with proper matchdays has killed my interesting in listening to any of the weekly roundup pods. At least a third of what they talk about is out of date by the time I get to it, so I've lost interest in keeping up.

So... what are good general football podcasts that don't centre around 'here's what happened on the weekend'?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Blizzard Classic Matches

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

Answers Me posted:

Covid causing the leagues to do away with proper matchdays has killed my interesting in listening to any of the weekly roundup pods. At least a third of what they talk about is out of date by the time I get to it, so I've lost interest in keeping up.

So... what are good general football podcasts that don't centre around 'here's what happened on the weekend'?

The Ornstein and Chapman Podcast: Mark Chapman and David Ornstein and some Athletic writers go over a featured article in the Athletic and cover some news and goings on in football and sometime something Arsenal related. On the same feed, Business of Sport podcast, where Mark Chapman and Matt Slater cover a couple of topic that focuses on the business side of sport.

Set Piece Menu: Hugh Farris, Steven Wyeth, Rory Smith, and Andy Hinchcliffe tries to have a longer discussion about a topic that is going on football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

I quite like The Game and BT Sportswriters podcasts. Game is a bit "round up"ish but goes a bit more in depth on specific points raised in the week rather than just analysing matches for 5 minutes and moving on.