Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Fury is, in a screenplay-construction sense, the protagonist in Avengers* , so it would be a pretty different movie in that case.

AoU is textbook "less than the sum of its parts". There's good stuff in it but it doesn't hang together. It's also the film where the "everyone quips too much" complaint is actually accurate; everyone's dropping one-liners to the point that the conversations don't even flow or make sense.

*The entire premise of Avengers is that Loki and the Chitauri are clownishly outmatched once Earth's superheroes actually work together; the challenge is whether or not Fury can actually get them to do so, and hold off the weird nuclear weapon illuminati long enough for the heroes to succeed. It's a pretty weird approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Should have been Cookson, except then Loki would have won

E: how is Coulson not recognized by autocorrect but Cookson is??

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Dec 24, 2020

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Volstagg cookson

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't really mind the idea of Hawkeye in the Avengers. I actually think the MCU sets it up way more rationally then it could be. The Avengers are a loose collection of hard to control super beings brought together by a government organization. Widow and Hawkeye are the company spies put in place to try and maintain control. Its more pronounced with Widow because she's more impressive and she has direct influence on the freaks. Hawkeye's more of a security guy. But Avengers basically has him be the guy who gets grabbed by Loki and then gets roped into the gang because of everything that happens and his connection to Widow. And Age of Ultron basically goes "he's part of the team but also why and lets flesh him out as the most stable and sympathetic person of the group." And then Endgame takes him dark because he had more to lose than anyone. I'm pretty ok with MCU Hawkeye. I think he serves a purpose.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

SlimGoodbody posted:

What the gently caress, where do you live dude

At that time, the wonderful city of Fayetteville, North Carolina.

Those familiar with Fayetteville will read this, nod, and say "oh, okay"

Open Marriage Night posted:

My most prominent memory from the Joker movie was someone’s baby crying in the front row.

My most prominent memory of Bad Santa was the woman who brought five children under 10 in

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
AoU is definitely one of the weakest Marvel movie, however I feel it's a good example of one of thw big things that Marvel does right. If it were a Star Wars or a DCEU movie, they would have tried to "fix" it by firing Joss Wheedon and bringing on on somebody else to reshoot much of the movie resulting in some kind of awkward Frankensteinian flick like Justice Leauge or Rise of Skywalker. Instead it was released warts and all and it think it's better for it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Hawkeye appears in the Marvel movies whenever the scriptwriters thought that the movies was getting too much fun to watch.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its also a positive byproduct of the "formula." Like someone might might make a bad version of the formula and they might make a good one but if they're sticking to the same basic formula its still something digestible. That might stifle those looking for something very different but it keeps anything from getting too far into the weeds.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's a few hints of Hawkeye being Hawkeye from the comics in AoU, i.e., the guy who knows he's in a funny suit shooting arrows at gods and monsters but does it anyway because that's how he can help but we don't get much of it and also Renner's not really the right person for the job. (Alan Tudyk, maybe.)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

David D. Davidson posted:

AoU is definitely one of the weakest Marvel movie, however I feel it's a good example of one of thw big things that Marvel does right. If it were a Star Wars or a DCEU movie, they would have tried to "fix" it by firing Joss Wheedon and bringing on on somebody else to reshoot much of the movie resulting in some kind of awkward Frankensteinian flick like Justice Leauge or Rise of Skywalker. Instead it was released warts and all and it think it's better for it.

Except they've done exactly what you've said.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah other than the actual firing that's exactly what happened to AoU.

Dawgstar posted:

There's a few hints of Hawkeye being Hawkeye from the comics in AoU, i.e., the guy who knows he's in a funny suit shooting arrows at gods and monsters but does it anyway because that's how he can help but we don't get much of it and also Renner's not really the right person for the job. (Alan Tudyk, maybe.)

Hawkeye isn't usually self aware.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Yeah Hawkeye from the comics is the guy who mouths off to Thanos even if he's tied up and has no awareness of how stupid that is.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Isn't Hawkeye's comic entrance to the Avengers that he tried to rob them and got his rear end kicked by the security system or something?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah other than the actual firing that's exactly what happened to AoU.

Hawkeye isn't usually self aware.

He kinda knows that he's outmatched. But he doesn't really care about that and does his thing anyway. And that's why I like him and Kate.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

STAC Goat posted:

Isn't Hawkeye's comic entrance to the Avengers that he tried to rob them and got his rear end kicked by the security system or something?

Hawkeye breaks into the mansion and beats up all the Avengers to prove he should be on the team

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Blockhouse posted:

Hawkeye breaks into the mansion and beats up all the Avengers to prove he should be on the team

No he breaks into the mansion, ties up their butler and then frees him by firing three arrows at once.
Upon seeing this Cap is like "you've got the job*!"

*= Also all the other Avengers had literally quit before this and Cap needed to be a part of something as he had only recently woken up from being on ice.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Question IRL posted:

*= Also all the other Avengers had literally quit before this and Cap needed to be a part of something as he had only recently woken up from being on ice.

It's neat that Cap decided to re-form the Avengers with what amounted to three criminals, which serves as a (distant) callback when Hawkeye took over the Thunderbolts as he wanted to give them the same chance Cap gave him.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just a half hour until Wonder Woman drops on HBO Max.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dawgstar posted:

It's neat that Cap decided to re-form the Avengers with what amounted to three criminals, which serves as a (distant) callback when Hawkeye took over the Thunderbolts as he wanted to give them the same chance Cap gave him.

It's kind of frustrating that 30 years of Hawkeye being a competent hero and leader was thrown out the window so people can make stupid and unfunny "worst Hawkeye" jokes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He was always bad Green Arrow.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

It's kind of frustrating that 30 years of Hawkeye being a competent hero and leader was thrown out the window so people can make stupid and unfunny "worst Hawkeye" jokes.

Hawkeye has always been both a very good hero and a garbage fire of an individual. The Fraction run plays up the latter but also goes out of its way to show the former is true.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

STAC Goat posted:

This was how Spidey tried to join the Fantastic Four I'm pretty sure.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Aphrodite posted:

He was always bad Green Arrow.

I think this means you have to fight Kurt Busiek now (based entirely on JLA/Avengers, I get the impression he's a Hawkeye guy).

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

Hawkguy? Competent?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He was never written as the door screw-up Fraction wrote. He lead multiple Avengers teams and the TBolts. Don't get me wrong, I love the Fraction series but it's a big departure from the character.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

WW84 is okay. Not sure if it will be something I revisit considering how long it is (2 1/2 hours which it doesn't really feel like it earns.) Pedro Pascal as Max Lord is pretty good but Kristen Wiig's heel turn feels unearned seeing as she spends almost the entire movie helping Diana. There's an extra mid credits scene but nothing at the very end.

One thing I did like was that the climax doesn't involve Diana beating up Max, instead she talks him down. Which you don't see enough of in these kind of stories.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's a scene in Diana's apartment showing off her various mementos and it includes a picture of her helping liberate a concentration camp so they did think to address the idea that she just ignored problems until BvS.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

There's a scene in Diana's apartment showing off her various mementos and it includes a picture of her helping liberate a concentration camp so they did think to address the idea that she just ignored problems until BvS.

Honestly WW84 makes literally zero sense with the idea of WW as presented in BvS.

She literally spoke to the entire world and prevented nuclear Armageddon. She ain't a loving secret.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly WW84 makes literally zero sense with the idea of WW as presented in BvS.

She literally spoke to the entire world and prevented nuclear Armageddon. She ain't a loving secret.

I think you're supposed to accept the fig leaf that her actions are technically secret because there's no footage of her out there doing stuff. Like in the beginning they show her breaking security cameras and for the end nobody actually sees her, they just hear her voice, I guess? That part is a little unclear seeing as it shouldn't have been working anyway since it was just Max standing in a beam of light.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I hear the movie is dog poo poo.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Open Marriage Night posted:

Hawkguy? Competent?

This is literally what Rhyno was complaining about!! :mad:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Listen, Aja drew Kate Bishop with round sunglasses one time so now she's a e s t h e t i c and that's more important than 30 years of some of the most interesting comics ever written.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

I hear the movie is dog poo poo.

It ain’t great that’s for sure. At best it’s ok and too long.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ImpAtom posted:

Not having seen WW84 yet I thought WW already directly contradicted BvS. Like the idea that Diana abandoned the world after WW1 was a pretty crappy idea and the ending of WW directly contradicts it in message if not direct actions. I don't blame Jenkins for that because how could you not? How do you make her even remotely likable if she just decides to do nothing for 100 years? It seems like all you can really do is ignore it or else you let that one supporting role intro really handicap her entire character.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

WW1984: Having the first non-white characters wishes be ethnic cleansing and nuclear weapons was certaintly a choice. Admittedly they later have the Soviets/US leaders launch nukes but the film gives the context of that being result of the increasingly crazy situation in the middle east/world. In theory having stuff like the Irish deportation scene could of made it more palatable, but it still left a very bitter taste in my mouth.

Also I can't believe we're still doing 'slap glasses on an objectively attrative actress and make the character a clutz = nerd' in the year 2020

JoylessJester fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 25, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Not having seen WW84 yet I thought WW already directly contradicted BvS. Like the idea that Diana abandoned the world after WW1 was a pretty crappy idea and the ending of WW directly contradicts it in message if not direct actions. I don't blame Jenkins for that because how could you not? How do you make her even remotely likable if she just decides to do nothing for 100 years? It seems like all you can really do is ignore it or else you let that one supporting role intro really handicap her entire character.

It's true but you'd figure they would at least, I donno, have her saving the world in magicland or something instead of just "Hell if I know."

It was also amusing seeing both Zach Snyder and Geoff Johns credited because I can't imagine two people who probably hate each other more.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hawkeye has always been considered a punchline, even when depicted as competent.

Like Aquaman.

It wasn't like Fraction just invented that entire thing.

ImpAtom posted:

The first Wonder Woman is considered to have retconned the stuff from BvS already.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Dec 25, 2020

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Hawkeye has always been considered a punchline, even when depicted as competent.

Like Aquaman.

It wasn't like Fraction just invented that entire thing.

The first Wonder Woman is considered to have retconned the stuff from BvS already.

The first one retconned it but at least kept it in somewhere the same time zone of "Oh, maybe she just wasn't as public, there are some differences but you can kiiiinda fudge it" instead of, y'know, Bruce Wayne and noted paranoid dude being utterly shocked there is a super strong incredibly powerful superbeing who once saved the world from near-total annihilations during a time period where he would have been a child and most likely would have had his parents alive again for like 10 minutes. Feels like the kind of thing he wouldn't have forgotten.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I dunno. I guess I think the BvS thing is just so bad and handicapping that its not worth working around. The answer to why it doesn't match up should just be "because that was a dumb idea that kind of ruined the character so we're ignoring it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
WW84 is terrible.