Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

do i have to post this again

This is the automotive equivalent of those “3 out of 5 doctors recommend Benson Hedges cigarettes” ads from the same era.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

You can check your tire pressures right after your do your oil change where you dump the oil into a hole in the ground you cover with gravel

1950’s.avi:

https://youtu.be/rhcKuMjvcCk

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 23, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

and don't forget this clever use of the venturi principle

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

*John Hamm leans back in his chair* maybe we can make women interested in cars...by making a cleaning attachment *everyone claps and coughs in the cigarette smoke*

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
Ok so girlfriend recently revealed that she still owns a scooter that I knew she had 4 years ago, except it's been streetparked for 2 years and hasn't run in that span of time.

It's a Honda Metropolitan so it's carbed and kick-able. What's the checklist of stuff I should do before trying to kick it on?

Take the carbs off and submerge them in cleaner overnight seems like step 1
Drain the tank and put in fresh gas, then flush the fuel lines seems like step 2
New battery seems like step 3

Anything else I would need to do before trying to kick it over? (Obviously before I'd ride it probably also worth checking the rest of the fluids, oil, brake, w/e (Do these things even HAVE brake fluid?)

Should I get a new battery in the thing before I try kicking it on, or will it start from a kick even if the battery is hosed?

Anything else that I would need just to get the engine to turn over?

edit: no brake fluid for me. Drum lyfe I guess.

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Change the oil

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Throw a spark plug at it as it'll likely be gummed up.

Don't immerse the carb that is a stupid thing to do 90% of the time and will only cause more problems. Take it apart and blow out all the passages with carb cleaner + compressed air, immerse just the jets and emulsion tube if you really need to.

You'll probably need to take apart the handlebar switch, ignition switch and associated connectors if it's sat completely exposed as they likely be corroded to poo poo. The brake light switches probably aren't in great shape either.

It shouldn't need a battery to run but you really, really don't want to be kicking a mystery scooter that may or may not start at all so it would make your life a lot easier to have one in there.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Or at the very least hook it up to a car battery with jumper cables. It’s 12v, so it will be fine.

Will definitely help with the troubleshooting as an ECU that’s not getting proper voltage can make it feel like you’re having carb problems, coil problems or any number of things.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If it's like other scooters the CDI will run off an AC stator coil and won't give a gently caress about the battery situation. But it's a Honda so may well be dependant on DC 12V just because they like to be difficult. Either way gently caress diagnosing a no-start when all you've got is a kicker.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Mirconium posted:

streetparked for 2 years

how has it not been stolen by now holy poo poo

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Holy poo poo

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

All that time, money and internet discussion spent on chains, locks and anchors. And all you had to do was ask nicely.

Greg12
Apr 22, 2020
tbh just kick it a few times

it's a late model honda

it might just start

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Anyone have some recommendations on good motorcycle literature? How/why they work, history of development, comparisons between the different manufacturers, all the like? I'd be stoked if I could find some kind of course for learning the basics of motorcycle mechanics but I haven't had much luck there. In the meantime I've just been hungry for any kind of bike reading.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

But Not Tonight posted:

Anyone have some recommendations on good motorcycle literature? How/why they work, history of development, comparisons between the different manufacturers, all the like? I'd be stoked if I could find some kind of course for learning the basics of motorcycle mechanics but I haven't had much luck there. In the meantime I've just been hungry for any kind of bike reading.

This isn't really a direct answer to your question, but along the same lines. I was digging through my dropbox a while back and discovered a treasure trove of old two stroke technical documentation from when I was trying to absorb everything I could about them in order to understand them better. If you like technical documentation, tons of graphs and a shitload of math equations, well, buddy, merry late Christmas! These are all from the 70's, basically the peak of two stroke performance R&D.

Two Stroke Performance Tuning Handbook (aka the bible, by Graham Bell): https://www.dropbox.com/s/21u7nt8xs4mc5at/performance-tuning-graham-bell.pdf?dl=0

Two Stroke Tuners Handbook (by the legend himself Gordon Jennings): https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkw4byiqqdruo95/2stroketunershandbook.pdf?dl=0

The Aspirin Takers Guide to Two-Stroke Port Timing: (A Cycle Mag article by Gordon Jennings): https://www.dropbox.com/s/3fbmshdhhykytsx/aspirin_takers.pdf?dl=0

The effect of crankcase volume and the inlet system on the delivery ratio of two-stroke cycle engines: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ygqacc2c67dghhg/crankcase_volume.pdf?dl=0

A Study of Delivery Ratio Characteristics of Crankcase-Scavenged Two-Stroke Cycle Engines: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kpmcmsj2i...ngines.pdf?dl=0

Do you really want to know about expansion chambers (Cycle Mag article by Gordon Jennings): https://www.dropbox.com/s/kj9arsh29bcvqpp/do_you_really.pdf?dl=0

The effect of higher compression ratio in two-stroke engines (A study by Yamaha Motor Co of Japan): https://www.dropbox.com/s/79aabdgmgg50m7o/higher_compression.pdf?dl=0

L-Ring effect on air-cooled two stroke gasoline engines: https://www.dropbox.com/s/forf7kfxbtnvoub/L-Ring%20Effect%20on%20Air-Cooled%20Two-Stroke%20Gasoline%20Engines.pdf?dl=0

Two stroke oil premix ratios (Another Gordon Jennings Joint): https://www.dropbox.com/s/ugwm86qwtcdujzw/oilpremix.pdf?dl=0

Some Development aspects of two-stroke cycle motorcycle engines (Another Yamaha Study): https://www.dropbox.com/s/opjkqlxs8ftqoub/some_development.pdf?dl=0

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I, uh, borrowed some of those. I'll give em back later ok?

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

Not exactly what I was looking for but it is adjacent enough! Thank you very much, I'll be sure to save this when I get home and peruse it at my leisure.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If nothing else, enjoy the rad 70’s magazine ads

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For a second I thought “confererate maple leaf fleur de lis stars & stripes” was one helmet, not four separate options.

70s were a wild time.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It’s funny that chain tools haven’t appreciably changed since the 70’s but used to be $5

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s funny that chain tools haven’t appreciably changed since the 70’s but used to be $5

Those look considerably meatier and higher quality than the modern ones tbh.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

:shrug: my Harbor Freight one seems wildly overbuilt for what it is and is incredibly beefy, but certainly wasn’t $5, and is not what I’d describe as high quality even though I have no fear of it breaking within my lifetime.

I feel like sometimes high end tools get into the whole weight reduction thing to their own detriment

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Compromising strength for 'weight savings' in hand tools is definitely real and definitely idiotic. But I've also found cheap tools tend to compensate for poo poo materials with bulk as well, although my cheap chain tool came with pins considerably more resilient than the motionpro replacements.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

But Not Tonight posted:

I've had Modern Motorcycle Technology on my shelf for a few years. It's got a wide variety of technical stuff, but without going into full engineering discussions. Total Control by Lee Parks and Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch both cover the generalities of how the bike works, in addition to being very good books on how to ride. You can also look for anything by Kevin Cameron of Cycle World. Good luck finding them at a reasonable price, though.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Ate poo poo on black ice trying to get to work this morning, bent the heck out of my shift lever but no other damage.

Is it worth hitting the lever with a blowtorch for a bit before trying to straighten it out, or should I just go to town with a hammer? Also I should probably take it off the bike first either way right

e/ womp womp

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Dec 29, 2020

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

Ate poo poo on black ice trying to get to work this morning, bent the heck out of my shift lever but no other damage.

Is it worth hitting the lever with a blowtorch for a bit before trying to straighten it out, or should I just go to town with a hammer? Also I should probably take it off the bike first either way right

e/ womp womp

Put it in a vise and reef it back straightish with a length of pipe or other leverage assisting device.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Being that it's bent at the weld I would probably just buy a new one, if it breaks there won't be anything left with which to shift.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

High Protein posted:

Being that it's bent at the weld I would probably just buy a new one, if it breaks there won't be anything left with which to shift.

Oh lol I thought it was bent in the middle.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think that’s a picture of the stock one. They said they don’t have it off the bike yet

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Condolences. Dumping the bike on a cold wet morning is definitely something I've done.

Just get another one, and don't mess with that one until it arrives. Chances are bending it back that much will cause it to snap right off and you won't be able to ride.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If that’s a picture of the stock lever then I don’t think I understand how that lever works... :raise:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think that’s a picture of the stock one. They said they don’t have it off the bike yet

Nah that's mine, I took it off after posting/before edit. It's supposed to have that big bend in the middle to clear the sprocket cover, the bad bend is the one right next to the peg.

I ended up putting it back on without being able to straighten it at all, because I had stuff to do and also got anxious about snapping the peg off, which like HP said would render it totally unusable. It's sort of manageable, I won't be winning any races but I can just about upshift by tilting my foot and jamming it in the gap.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Martytoof posted:

If that’s a picture of the stock lever then I don’t think I understand how that lever works... :raise:

Forbidden shifter geometry

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

But Not Tonight posted:

Not exactly what I was looking for but it is adjacent enough! Thank you very much, I'll be sure to save this when I get home and peruse it at my leisure.

Check out Fortnine's youtube channel. Ryan usually has a lot of background info in his reviews and videos. Like the latest one was about the history of the honda dirt trike and how it was banned in the US.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

But Not Tonight posted:

You could also try Common Tread https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread, it's got tech stuff.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you do try to fix it, heating it up with a torch is a better idea than bending it cold. There's a reason blacksmiths work with hot material.

Heating it up will destroy any heat treatment in the metal, of course (the shift lever probably won't have any) and any surface finishing (oh well).

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
You know how many people are riding bikes with bent shift levers? Tons.

Heat it up and bend it slowly, a little at a time. If it snaps, get a new one. Shift levers are usually cheapish.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Original flavour is £70-100 :gonk:

I'm trying to find out if there's any unofficial swaps I can do, because KX levers look like they'd probably fit and are significantly cheaper, like £10-30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Couldn’t you get a tusk one or some aftermarket fairly cheap?