Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Well you got to make some compromises for casting, there's not exactly an entire army of people who look like Manute Bol for every scene on Ceres

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's been a while since I read the books but I don't remember any of this Bobby plot, so it's also possibly all invented which wouldn't help with it fitting in

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Everyone posted:

As I understand it if Bobbie "aligned" with her character's looks in the books, she'd be a ten foot tall 500 pound supermodel who was CGI

500 pounds at 1G or ?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

TraderStav posted:

500 pounds at 1G or ?

I don't knare (know or care). I'm just glad we got Frankie Adams instead of goofy CGI crap.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Units of mass don't care about gravitational pull

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Diogo was supposed to be an insufferable (although at times also loveable) little poo poo, if you didn't like him it's because the actor was good at his job. I think Inaros is pretty similar, he's supposed to be a slimy smug rear end in a top hat you don't like.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

dyzzy posted:

Units of mass don't care about gravitational pull

Pounds aren't mass :colbert:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I like the expression he takes on while staring into poo poo or preparing for his speech. You can see how happy he is to be huffing his own fumes

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Crazycryodude posted:

Pounds aren't mass :colbert:

Next you're going to tell me velocity doesn't need to specify a direction.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Last I checked the scales give you lbs not lbf!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

dyzzy posted:

I like the expression he takes on while staring into poo poo or preparing for his speech. You can see how happy he is to be huffing his own fumes

His space suit definitely has a hose that runs from the butt to the mouth.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Grand Fromage posted:

As I said, this is the point of controversy. There is no direct evidence whether or not this would happen (fortunately) and modeling does not agree.

Yea, I think it was Carl Sagon that straight up said that he and the other scientists decided to fake the findings in a hope to prevent anyone thinking of using nuclear weapons.

This could be a pearl harbour situations too, Marco attacking Earth gets them to put all their resources into militarizing and striking back against the Belt. Or maybe soviet union is a better example? They were kinda lovely early in ww2 but Barbarossa forced them to get their poo poo together and when people like Zhukov and Chukov were put in charge they became a whole big pile of gently caress Nazis using their considerable human resources. Combination of the two?

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

pixaal posted:

Martians aren't 10ft tall, that's Belters. And even then I think 10ft is on the high side especially for the women. Naomi is around 7ft tall.

bobbie is over 2m tall and like 100kg in the books because she's literally a space marine

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
What if they cast two shorter actresses in a trenchcoat?

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
She’s also Samoan and they’re generally pretty big people.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Goast posted:

bobbie is over 2m tall and like 100kg in the books because she's literally a space marine

She's 6.5 feet 220lbs that's still very far off 10 feet 500lbs which was my point. 10ft is actually a height a belter can reach at the extreme end but not a Martian.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

TraderStav posted:

Next you're going to tell me velocity doesn't need to specify a direction.

But pounds are literally units of force in scientific usage.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Jakabite posted:

She’s also Samoan and they’re generally pretty big people.

In terms of obesity maybe

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

In terms of obesity maybe

In the books Bobbie is actually massively obese and uses sumo wrestling techniques to subdue her foes

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
The martian suits had to be retrofitted with cheeto dust filters. It was worth it, though

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Martian marines train at the equivalent of 1G by simply packing on the pounds until they are 250% of their healthy target weight.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Alex IS fat, the math checks out.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
ive been rewatching season 1 and what the gently caress is with all the backwards joysticks

there was a couple of them on the knight too

Goast fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Dec 26, 2020

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, I think it was Carl Sagon that straight up said that he and the other scientists decided to fake the findings in a hope to prevent anyone thinking of using nuclear weapons.

This could be a pearl harbour situations too, Marco attacking Earth gets them to put all their resources into militarizing and striking back against the Belt. Or maybe soviet union is a better example? They were kinda lovely early in ww2 but Barbarossa forced them to get their poo poo together and when people like Zhukov and Chukov were put in charge they became a whole big pile of gently caress Nazis using their considerable human resources. Combination of the two?

Germany and the USSR were both industrialized nation states of comparable strength tho. There's like 20-30 billion earthers and like 10 bil martians? There's something like 100 mil belters and marco isn't even in charge of most of them. In this scenerio he's more like space Al-Qaeda trying to get space america/space Soviets bogged down fighting in space afghanistan.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Typo posted:

Germany and the USSR were both industrialized nation states of comparable strength tho. There's like 20-30 billion earthers and like 10 bil martians? There's something like 100 mil belters and marco isn't even in charge of most of them. In this scenerio he's more like space Al-Qaeda trying to get space america/space Soviets bogged down fighting in space afghanistan.

Like if this is supposed to be some great obscure insight and I understood it,

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

pixaal posted:

She's 6.5 feet 220lbs that's still very far off 10 feet 500lbs which was my point. 10ft is actually a height a belter can reach at the extreme end but not a Martian.

Good enough. If haven't read the books (and probably won't until the TV series ends). The way I heard that she was in the books was "A supermodel doubled in size." None of which detracts from my idea of "I'm really glad they cast Frankie Adams, who approaches the physical concept of Bobbie and can act instead of them using CGI or trying to match the physical description with somebody who can't actually act."

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006
Honestly Martians are also probably weaklings. Growing up in 1/3 g probably ain't good if you tangled with a 1g human, no matter how much training you do in 1g.

Casting on that level would be basically impossible to do well, but if they actually consistently casted Martians, belters, and Earthers with different physiques (with Martians and Belters looking distinctly different), it would be pretty amazing.

Amos coming back to earth and walking around in 1g comfortably would also have been interesting to play a little differently. Sure, he's a native Earther and a badass, but living in the belt most of the g is set up as 1/3 g, right? That is distinctly different from coming back to 1g, and would certainly have an effect on you.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Amos is stronk

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

pixaal posted:

10 feet 500lbs

don't doxx me

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Is dong size proportionate when you're a 10ft+ tall belter?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Are they packin dongaggers is what I'm asking.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Actually, without gravity to pull your dong down as it grows, you end up with a belt full of microdicks

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I've always been a belter at heart. Now I share the same physical features!

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

CLAM DOWN posted:

Actually, without gravity to pull your dong down as it grows, you end up with a belt full of microdicks

Explains why so many belters have such a lovely attitude.

Flying around in their lifted, coal-rolling space ships...

simble
May 11, 2004

Wheeee posted:

Amos is stronk

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
caught a belter with a free navy logo on their jumpsuit in season one

i guess inaros has had some version of that fleet going for a while

Goast fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 26, 2020

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Oh that's interesting good catch, it's fun how they sprinkle little tidbits like that in

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

No this is as squarely 9/11 as it gets. Using a massively violent and de-stabilising, but ultimately not very meaningful, mass terror attack to maybe dissuade foreign powers from coming over. Even the whole 'we have shown how capable we are and now they'll think twice'-shtick is firmly in Bin Laden territory.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

MiddleOne posted:

No this is as squarely 9/11 as it gets. Using a massively violent and de-stabilising, but ultimately not very meaningful, mass terror attack to maybe dissuade foreign powers from coming over. Even the whole 'we have shown how capable we are and now they'll think twice'-shtick is firmly in Bin Laden territory.

Typo posted:

I mean this is the obvious answer, though i'm just suggesting maybe the writers go a different way. That this does get the UN truly unified and focused, which would be terrifying. Like they have a scary number of people that they can recruit from, both miliary and construction. Though that also turns the Earth into a more militaristic state. Though you're both probably right that this is 9/11 and its going to be a guerrilla war. Inna's playing wack a mole with Free Navy ships that know the terrain and can use it to their advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'd be surprised if you can mobilize much more than Earth already does at the start. It's pretty consistently depicted as an empire in decline, spending 40 cents of every dollar that the entire planetary economy generates just to keep everyone from drowning in sewage and trash.