Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

Which is the preferred audio track for ghost of tsushima, english or japanese?

I played it in Japanese with English subtitles and it was fine, forget lip sync you'll be staring at the gorgeous landscapes most of the time anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I think a backwards compatible PS3 + PS5 would cover you for all Playstation games. I scored an earlier PS3 Slim (one of the last ones models that was jailbreakable with CFW) a month ago I've been meaning to downgrade/jailbreak so I can copy all of my discs to the hard drive, which will probably replace my Super Slim.

no cos some ps1 games dont work on the ps3 slim. think a mod chipped region free ps2 with a rad2x or other good scaler is better imo.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Which is the preferred audio track for ghost of tsushima, english or japanese?

If your an anime person I think Zoro is the VA for the main character.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Cardiovorax posted:

Oh, sure, I just think it might maybe not have gotten as much attention for it if it had told it in a more conventional format. It's a legitimate narrative technique, but it's also a bit of a gimmick.

Eh it’s also a really good sci fi story,which don’t really happen all that often anymore.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

boz posted:

If your an anime person I think Zoro is the VA for the main character.

I'm not an anime and I dont know who that is. I've gone for english va. Is there no lock on in this game???

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Vikar Jerome posted:

no cos some ps1 games dont work on the ps3 slim. think a mod chipped region free ps2 with a rad2x or other good scaler is better imo.

While that's true, you're then adding a third system in the mix (because neither PS4 or 5 can emulate the 3) for a couple outlier games.

I stand corrected on the Slim though - it was the original 20 and 60GB launch (phat) PS3s that had backwards compatibility - some of the Slims did PS2 through software but that gets stripped away by later firmware updates. The Phat's are also the ones that are most prone to overheating issues, so pick your poison I guess :v:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

You must own every PlayStation console and have them plugged in and running at all times to call yourself a true “gamer”

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

While that's true, you're then adding a third system in the mix (because neither PS4 or 5 can emulate the 3) for a couple outlier games.

i have 9 systems hooked up.

also ps5 has psnow with a ton of ps3 games and they all get added to your ps5 game library so you can have all the god of wars and resident evils next to each other and the ps5 streaming is waaaay better than the ps4 streaming and you can gently caress around and upload all your ps3 saves to your ps5 ps3now account and they work, its hilarious. jim ryan says theres a psnow announcement coming soon and there was that rumour that you would be able to put your ps1/2/3 discs into your ps5 and through psnow it would load the game up, only via streaming, which is abit dumb but at least its accurate i guess.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

You must own every PlayStation console and have them plugged in and running at all times to call yourself a true “gamer”

:hmmyes:

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 26, 2020

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

fridge corn posted:

I'm not an anime and I dont know who that is. I've gone for english va. Is there no lock on in this game???

Nope and it’s not needed for the most part

exquisite tea posted:

The script is so boring you might as well pretend they're saying more exciting things in a language you don't understand. I vote Japanese.

This is the correct answer. The story is probably the most generic one I’ve played in a while and the English va makes it worse.

nachos fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Dec 26, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

fridge corn posted:

Dont let people throw shade at Daisuke Tsuji, he is an excellent Jin and his English VA is very good, IMO, the rest of the game around him is boring.

The game eschews traditional waypoints and lock-on in favor of this radical new technique called “designing games” where they ask the player to use their eyes and coordinate what they are seeing with their hands in order for the player to respond to what is on the screen, instead of just training them to jam Lock-On and move ceaselessly towards your floating map icon.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Choose english for Ghost of Tsushima, the Mongolian dude has a great voice actor, uncommonly good.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Holy poo poo there's so much... stuff in Doom Eternal

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Sakurazuka posted:

Holy poo poo there's so much... stuff in Doom Eternal

Gotta keep rewarding the player and boosting those endorphins, thus retaining engagement. Game does a pretty good job at it too!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/mikkihel/status/1342664226104610828?s=21

PREACH BROTHER PREACH!!!!

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

i blacked out on tweet 6 of 10,000. can you summarize?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I can understand the Japanese but I preferred Tsushima in English. It is absolutely a work of Western fiction about Japan so English suits it better.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

For anyone that doesnt feel like forcing their way through this guys insufferable writing style and refusal to get to the loving point in anything approaching a timely manner; He doesnt like it when theres a gap between audio clips, so that instead of one character interrupting another its "My line which is about to be interup..." (noticeable pause) "The line which is supposed to be cutting your line off". Ot at least thats what I got before I had to tap out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SiKboy posted:

For anyone that doesnt feel like forcing their way through this guys insufferable writing style and refusal to get to the loving point in anything approaching a timely manner; He doesnt like it when theres a gap between audio clips, so that instead of one character interrupting another its "My line which is about to be interup..." (noticeable pause) "The line which is supposed to be cutting your line off". Ot at least thats what I got before I had to tap out.

That’s....that’s it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

SiKboy posted:

lol thank you. i checked his bio and it was "Narrative expert" for games like alan wake and quantum break and i had to do a double take after reading his first few tweets.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Lmao you guys are pretty busy lol, must be hard not having the, uh, 45 seconds it takes to scroll through a tweet thread, are you perhaps posting from the crew pit at Le Mans while they adjust your torque? Didn’t mean to interrupt your busy posting schedules.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It’s a correct and good thread that isn’t written pretentiously at all lmao

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Bust Rodd posted:

Lmao you guys are pretty busy lol, must be hard not having the, uh, 45 seconds it takes to scroll through a tweet thread, are you perhaps posting from the crew pit at Le Mans while they adjust your torque? Didn’t mean to interrupt your busy posting schedules.

I live my life a quarter post at a time. Nothing else ... For those ten seconds or less, I'm free

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

I got to commend a guy trying to tell people how to tell a story but has never heard of the concept of brevity

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

It’s a correct and good thread that isn’t written pretentiously at all lmao

i clicked the quote retweets and its explained much better, basically a lot games dialouge systems suck and ruin natural back and forth and end up causing harm to the flow of the story and immersion. which is very true for big open world rpgs.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bust Rodd posted:

It would have been a painful read even if you'd linked the actual tweet he made what passes for his point tbh.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Redezga posted:

Does anyone here have any experience/thoughts with the PS4 versions of the Beamdog Enhanced Edition D&D games? They don't appear to have ever gone on sale but I've been watching D&D documentaries all day at my dad's house and I'm kind of itching to play again without having to organise things and inevitably having to be the DM.

I'm mostly interested in Planescape: Torment and Neverwinter Nights and the idea of doing that with a controller on my couch sounds nice in theory, although NWN is bundled with Icewind Dale so any thoughts on the PS4 version of that are welcome too.

Planescape Torment is bundled with ice wind Dale.

NWN is by itself but includes all the expansions and additional content.

From what I've heard, Planescape (and maybe ice wind) is the most crash happy of all of them. Balders Gate 1/2 is the best of the collections and people seem to like that. Just gotta get used to the controls since it works way better for point and click (or even with a tablet!)

NWN definitely provides a lot of D&D opportunities.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

the controls for the console versions let you move the characters with the sticks and im half tempted to pick them up just for that.

i've seen them on sale but its not a big sale usually, still cost 30 or so quid. best off looking for the discs on ebay or something.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

SiKboy posted:

It would have been a painful read even if you'd linked the actual tweet he made what passes for his point tbh.

Hey man we all get through your posts just fine, no pain, no gain

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey man we all get through your posts just fine, no pain, no gain

Hey, I guess that they cant all be as good as <checks notes> "Hey guys, heres a tweet I found that isnt particularly relevant to anything we were discussing in this thread", but thats just my cross to bear.

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Late merry Christmas goons.

I bought Celeste and my thumbs hurt but this is the best platformer I have played in years. It’s a powerful reminder of aging. I’m consistently amazed at taking one look at a room and going, “You want me to do what?” and then doing it. Fantastic design all around. Can’t believe I missed out on this when it came out.

Trying to decide on what to snag from the sale now. I have it narrowed down to a few if anyone has thoughts.

Kentucky Route Zero
Dragon’s Dogma
Nier Automata
Nioh 2
The Messenger
Blasphemous
Superhot
Tony Hawk 1/2 remaster

Goon opinions are gold. What should I buy?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen is one of the most engrossing games I've ever played. Everything about it is just hilariously fun and spectacular. You feel like a boss when you charge a cyclops that literally towers over most in-game houses and unleash an attack that makes giant pillars of stone burst out of the earth with enough force to knock it right on its rear end.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kentucky Route Zero and NieR Automata are the best there

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

BurningBeard posted:

Late merry Christmas goons.

I bought Celeste and my thumbs hurt but this is the best platformer I have played in years. It’s a powerful reminder of aging. I’m consistently amazed at taking one look at a room and going, “You want me to do what?” and then doing it. Fantastic design all around. Can’t believe I missed out on this when it came out.

Trying to decide on what to snag from the sale now. I have it narrowed down to a few if anyone has thoughts.

Dragon’s Dogma
Tony Hawk 1/2 remaster

Goon opinions are gold. What should I buy?

These two are great, pick them up

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Played a bit more Ghost and yeah it's kinda better for not having a lock on

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SiKboy posted:

For anyone that doesnt feel like forcing their way through this guys insufferable writing style and refusal to get to the loving point in anything approaching a timely manner; He doesnt like it when theres a gap between audio clips,

The irony

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The one really annoying thing about Ghost not having lock-on is that the auto-targeting doesn't work if you're even slightly on a different level than the enemy. I've had occasions where I'm trying to attack someone but I'm standing on a slightly elevated ledge and so I just swing wildly and randomly as if there are no enemies nearby. It's not hard to get in the habit of making sure you're just not in that situation, but it just feels really weird and unnatural when it happens.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Professor, if I’m ever in Ireland I would like to buy you an adult beverage at the pub of your choosing and perhaps even a steak sandwich.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bust Rodd posted:

Professor, if I’m ever in Ireland I would like to buy you an adult beverage at the pub of your choosing and perhaps even a steak sandwich.

I don’t drink but come over when it’s safe and we’ll get some snacks ;)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Wait, you're Irish and you don't drink? I have it on good Irish authority that this can't possibly be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don’t drink... any more :cool: