Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

SimonChris posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I always found the idea of an evil accountant who wears a business suit under his supervillain armor to be hilarious. The old G.I. Joe comics had some really interesting world-building.

"Cuts in defense spending." That's hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I think there's enough nerds here that 'Magic the Gathering' and 'non-competition-legal parody set' aren't that deep a cut.

Besides, you left out Unstable and Unsanctioned.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

TwoPair posted:

also Gwenpool Holiday Special

He's the best at what he does. And what he does is get beat up by the second best Hawkeye.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

Not Brand Echh seems really goofy and fun, kind of like the Unglued and Unhinged Magic expansions, if anyone gets that deep nerd reference. Are they worth finding to read through?

Not really. I find them to be more annoying than funny. It's sub-Cracked (the magazine that was sub-Mad) level of humor.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Elfface posted:

I think there's enough nerds here that 'Magic the Gathering' and 'non-competition-legal parody set' aren't that deep a cut.

Besides, you left out Unstable and Unsanctioned.

My favourite part of the Un-sets is when you see them basically reprint one of those cards in a real set. Like the death ray that was a burn spell with trample and they literally just put it into the very next real set.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superboy #69 (1958)

Chamber of Chills #23 (1976)

Doctor Zero #6 (1989)

Spider-Geddon #0 (2018)

Gwenpool Strikes Back! #5 (2020)

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

A Strange Aeon posted:

Not Brand Echh seems really goofy and fun, kind of like the Unglued and Unhinged Magic expansions, if anyone gets that deep nerd reference. Are they worth finding to read through?

It’s both goofy and fun, and definitely worth a read. Most issues are up on Marvel Unlimited if you want to check them out. If you have any grasp of 1960s pop culture or politics, you’ll get most of the jokes. Lots of great sight and background gags. Yeah, there’s a lot of hacky, corny jokes but it’s still super fun to read and it’s fun to watch Lee and Kirby take shots at themselves.

The first 8 or 9 issues of What The?!? Are the same way, but those aren’t up on MU for some reason. That series took a sharp left turn off a cliff, so you’d probably only want the issues in single digits

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Darthemed posted:

Chamber of Chills #23 (1976)

Gonna repost this in the Newspaper Spider-Man thread because of the current story arc.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Random Stranger posted:

Not really. I find them to be more annoying than funny. It's sub-Cracked (the magazine that was sub-Mad) level of humor.
So it won even more decisively before jettisoning the talent that elevated it?

Except it only ran from '67 to '69, not counting the 14th issue in 2017. Look at those writing/art credits.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011

GPTribefan posted:

It’s both goofy and fun, and definitely worth a read. Most issues are up on Marvel Unlimited if you want to check them out. If you have any grasp of 1960s pop culture or politics, you’ll get most of the jokes. Lots of great sight and background gags. Yeah, there’s a lot of hacky, corny jokes but it’s still super fun to read and it’s fun to watch Lee and Kirby take shots at themselves.

The first 8 or 9 issues of What The?!? Are the same way, but those aren’t up on MU for some reason. That series took a sharp left turn off a cliff, so you’d probably only want the issues in single digits

What The?!? was occasionally pretty fun.

I do remember some unfortunate racist jokes, at least in one Wolverine parody.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Suleman posted:

Art wise that is a spot on Goseki Kojima.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Not Brand Echh can also get racist. There's a story with the S.H.I.E.L.D. analogue discovering a villain's lair in a Chinese laundrette, which is handled with all the good taste you might expect from the '60s.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Revenge of the Cosmic Ghost Rider #3: The Punisher has died.

It's rough when your life is such a bummer that the devil recommends eternity in Hell as the more pleasant option.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

TwoPair posted:

It's rough when your life is such a bummer that the devil recommends eternity in Hell as the more pleasant option.

The real victim here is the devil, since either option will only give him a headache and he knows it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Shouldn't Mephisto be down with sending Frank back? More souls to be sent to hell and all?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gaz-L posted:

Shouldn't Mephisto be down with sending Frank back? More souls to be sent to hell and all?

The joke is Frank's life is so miserable and Mephisto knows it will continue to be even more miserable that Mephisto feels bad for Frank and thinks suffering eternal torment in hell would be a kindness.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gaz-L posted:

Everybody dies, eventually.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
And the people Frank is likely to send down would end up there anyway.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Suleman posted:

I'm just starting a reread of Claremont's 70s and 80s X-stuff so this cracked me up, thank you.

Anyway this is uncredited in What The--? #4 but I found a confirmation by Kurt Busiek that it was scripted by Peter David, penciled by James Fry III, and inked by Bob Wiack.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 27, 2020

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

How Wonderful! posted:

I'm just starting a reread of Claremont's 70s and 80s X-stuff so this cracked me up, thank you.

LET US KNOW HOW MUCH OF A JERK PROFESSOR X IS!!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Suleman posted:

That katakana error in the title bothers me way more than it should. Okay, two errors depending on how you want to write it but they're interconnected.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Dec 27, 2020

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

TwoPair posted:

I love it when they portray Mephtiso as just a guy who's job happens to be running hell.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Darthemed posted:

Gwenpool Strikes Back! #5 (2020)

Virtually every image I've seen of non-Guri Gwenpool has been pretty terrible, but this I liked.

It's bees.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Detective Eye #2 (1940)

Men Against Crime #5 (1951)

Rocky and His Fiendish Friends #2 (1962)

Super-Villain Team-Up #14 (1977)

Venom: The Madness #3 (1994)

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Darthemed posted:

Detective Eye #2 (1940)
That seems like an unusually roundabout way of fighting Mega Man.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Keromaru5 posted:

That seems like an unusually roundabout way of fighting Mega Man.

He's just foisting him off on Bubble Man to stall for time.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Honestly I had to reread that panel because at first I thought it said Aquaman.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Whiz Comics #25 (1941)

Plastic Man #30 (1951)

Fantastic Four #28 (1964)

The Amazing Spider-Man #201 (1980)

Spider-Man Team-Up #5 (1996)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm gonna start using Great Beefo as my username elsewhere.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Dude's name is Cannonball, but he has a bullet tip on his head. Does Spidey point that out at some point?

Also whichever lady broke Beefo's enlarged heart should give him another chance!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

davidspackage posted:

Also whichever lady broke Beefo's enlarged heart should give him another chance!

I don't know. It seems like he has some rage issues. :sever:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know. It seems like he has some rage issues. :sever:

I dunno, it looks like he confined his anger to inanimate iron bars and when dealing with the elephants he just gently shoved them aside.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

SimonChris posted:

Maybe it's just me, but I always found the idea of an evil accountant who wears a business suit under his supervillain armor to be hilarious. The old G.I. Joe comics had some really interesting world-building.

Though current events have proven that egomaniacal jerks who are liable to join terrorist organizations like Cobra are unwilling to wear masks all day, so perhaps some of the comic's assumptions were flawed in retrospect.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superman #14 (1942)

The Thing #6 (1953)

Not Brand Echh #8 (1968)

Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #82 (1983)

Spider-Man's Tangled Web #18 (2002)

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Darthemed posted:

Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man #82 (1983)

IIRC this was part of a running plot that involved Frank being drugged making him more and more unhinged.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Darthemed posted:

Superman #14 (1942)

Superman could fly by the 40s, couldn't he? He could fly in the Fleischer cartoons made during the war at least. Like what was the best case scenario this thug was hoping for?

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Darthemed posted:

Spider-Man's Tangled Web #18 (2002)

The antecedent to Nextwave's Captain ****.

Also, god I love Ted McKeever.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Skwirl posted:

Superman could fly by the 40s, couldn't he? He could fly in the Fleischer cartoons made during the war at least. Like what was the best case scenario this thug was hoping for?

No, he couldn't fly early on, just jump good.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Begemot posted:

No, he couldn't fly early on, just jump good.

I know he couldn't fly at the start, but in the Fleischer cartoons he could and those were made in '41 and '42. I just don't know if it started there and was added to the comics later or if it was in the comics by that point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Skwirl posted:

I know he couldn't fly at the start, but in the Fleischer cartoons he could and those were made in '41 and '42. I just don't know if it started there and was added to the comics later or if it was in the comics by that point.

Here's a pretty decent looking answer.
I suppose the short answer is "well, he flew before the cartoons, but only sporadically, and on the radio show which kind of did its own thing."