Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

https://i.imgur.com/kpng7b5.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

*The Ghost Who Eats Frog Dogs.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Welp. Extreme sympathy for Peach and Olive in "Mark Trail". Borderline Personality Disorder is no joke.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

I had this whole album on cassette when I was a child and I played it a LOT. Listening to this song again all these decades later all I can think is, my poor parents.

This is a little kid that everybody knows gets into poo poo if she isn't supervised, yet nobody ever supervises her. Can't say I feel bad for them.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

Rae the Doe's web archives

First Time

Journalism

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
The Shadow Jun. 28th, 1940

Axa

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Axa is a thirsty girl.

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

In this installment of The Timid Soul (March 1, 1937), it's interesting to see how far back the "this means you" phrasing was being used.

Also, note that "week-end" was still being hyphenated.

And, as always, the reflection of the chair legs on the polished floor.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Parahexavoctal posted:

And, as always, the reflection of the chair legs on the polished floor.

The hatchmarking and shading on the trash bin is a great detail too

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Ulf is a weird character. I like him as a cool gay man who is successful at his career, but him calling Leevi hot and pinching his bicep counts as workplace sexual harassment. The way Anja is side-eyeing him in the last panel makes it seem like she thinks so as well.

goatface posted:

Wow. Straight up donating her legal identity to an escaped, cloned sapient creature in order to deceitfully escape living in an adoptive household with MHI and return to living as an item of clothing.

So many layers of wtf-ery.

To be kind of fair, pretending you're a piece of clothing seems like a pretty good way to avoid being murdered in Hellworld. I do agree there's a lot of unintentional :wtc:-ery in this one, especially when you consider that Bruno and Connie are coded as queer kids dating.

We'll be getting into it soon, but this is a preview of Shelley's friends being pretty awful.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

amigolupus posted:

We'll be getting into it soon, but this is a preview of Shelley's friends being pretty awful.
It's Rich Tweedy and Tim Jones, being pretty awful is just par for the course with those two. Honestly, Ryan is just about the decent person she is friends with.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

howe_sam posted:

It's Rich Tweedy and Tim Jones, being pretty awful is just par for the course with those two. Honestly, Ryan is just about the decent person she is friends with.
And even Tim Jones is creeped out by Rich.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

Well, you and your peers seem to be anywhere from 16 to about 35, depending on whatever narrative whims are passing through Holbrook's head at the time, so I can't really blame you for feeling confused!

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

What's really driving me crazy about Safe Havens right now is all the flipping out over meeting the exact reentry requirements when they're the only spaceship that exists. They can just explain the reasons why the current crew doesn't match the old one in the original manifest. How is there dramatic tension? What exactly would happen if they didn't meet the reentry requirements? Would they not be allowed back onto Earth? How and why does this bureaucracy even exist when the main characters and her friends literally invented long haul space travel and this trip was an initial test run?

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

I should make this my new avatar ... but I love my current one

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Some Guy TT posted:

What's really driving me crazy about Safe Havens right now is all the flipping out over meeting the exact reentry requirements when they're the only spaceship that exists. They can just explain the reasons why the current crew doesn't match the old one in the original manifest. How is there dramatic tension? What exactly would happen if they didn't meet the reentry requirements? Would they not be allowed back onto Earth? How and why does this bureaucracy even exist when the main characters and her friends literally invented long haul space travel and this trip was an initial test run?

They really are just gods pretending to be mortals and failing miserably at it because they don't remember mortality at all.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Some Guy TT posted:

Cheer Up Boss Dharma

Don't dig for gold, sell shovels.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Mary's special good friend.
Is it time for Dr Jeff to propose and get shot down again? :allears:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

These are from an anthology of Charles Addams’ work published in 1950 – Monster Rally. I’m trying to find the others that my Mom had acquired through the ‘50s and ‘60s. As a child of the mid-1960’s, my mother had no problem with handing these to her kids. She loved Addams’ work, and finds him hilarious (if a little dark) to this day.

My mother bought completely into the rumour (which Addams never squelched; in fact, he reveled in it) that he would get nuttier and nuttier until he’d be committed for a spell, after which his work would revert to somewhat tamer precincts.

I credit these anthologies with shaping my warped and dry sense of humour. There are only two in color: the frontispiece and the backpiece.

Off we go.

Frontispiece:

The theme starts early that kids are, at heart, little shits.

On the other hand, they have their reasons.

Not really sure what the gag is supposed to be. "Progressive" schools were, I believe, something like the Montessori system.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Last minute post ahoy...

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (December 29, 1973, but with some very 2020 energy)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (July 28, 1937)

Parahexavoctal
Oct 10, 2004

I AM NOT BEING PAID TO CORRECT OTHER PEOPLE'S POSTS! DONKEY!!

PainterofCrap posted:

Not really sure what the gag is supposed to be. "Progressive" schools were, I believe, something like the Montessori system.

the children in a Progressive School are so uncontrolled that they'll physically hurl their teacher out of the building.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Mary's special good friend.

Mary Worth is a simple woman who enjoys weekly boat rides and getting dicked down on occasion. Her special good friend can provide both, and she's eager to remind him that this isn't going any farther than that.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moominposting

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

THE BOOZE!!!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin and Kell (August 31 - September 4, 1998)

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (February 5, 1918)

This may be the greatest ever Everett True

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010

amigolupus posted:

Ulf is a weird character. I like him as a cool gay man who is successful at his career, but him calling Leevi hot and pinching his bicep counts as workplace sexual harassment. The way Anja is side-eyeing him in the last panel makes it seem like she thinks so as well.

I find it interesting that, in such an old publication, they insert a gay character whose homossexuality isn't his sole defining trait. He is not a good person in this story - he is in this village to "do a capitalism". He is just much more sophisticated than the people at the village and he can manipulate them very effectively (either for laughs as when people were afraid of his gayness, or more seriously to destroy/appropriate the hard work of the dwellers of this small town).

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä

Heimo Suominen, common-law husband of Anja Koskinen, father of their son Mikko, and punching bag of the towns powers that be, continues to live in an old transformer tower after his nervous breakdown. There will be more twists and turns in store for him.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Dustin

Cruel Little Stories

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 12/26/00

Brenda Starr 2/18/45

Over in Li'l Abner, Al Capp had a recurring character named Joe Btfsplk, The World's Worst Jinx -- a weird little man in a big hat who occasionally wandered into the strip, bringing bad luck and chaos wherever he went. I wonder if Messick was inspired by that here.

I like the little detail of the quilted sleeves and collar on Hank's jacket.

Smokey Stover 2/26/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Bonus ad! "I agree you should have another beer!"

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (December 8, 1917)

Outbursts of Everett True (February 6, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (September 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (January 22, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (June 25, 1935)

Dark Laughter (March 4, 1939)

“Can I run down to the corner to call up my mummer, sir, an’ tell her I been a bady boy agin?”

Mopsy Sunday (August 4, 1946)

Patty-Jo ’n’ Ginger (December 17, 1949)

“Guess what? … I jus’ caught ‘em BOTH pickin’ at that QUEER shaped package in Mom’s closet again … ‘course I’m AWFULLY AGGAVATED, but I gotta remember KIDS will be KIDS, huh?”

Dinky Fellas (March 17, 1965)

Wee Pals (March 17, 1965)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä

Heimo Suominen, common-law husband of Anja Koskinen, father of their son Mikko, and punching bag of the towns powers that be, continues to live in an old transformer tower after his nervous breakdown. There will be more twists and turns in store for him.

Ooooooooof.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Foxtrot

my bad for wrong copying, lol.

Mercedes Colomar fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Dec 27, 2020

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Classic service resumes tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turpitude II
Nov 10, 2014

Slammy posted:

Mopsy Sunday (August 4, 1946)

could someone please remind me which of the other old comics also had the paper dolls included?