Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Mr. Locke posted:

Yeah, Disk 1 is more then half the game. He's not quite at what I'd call the mid-point of FF7, but he's probably closer then 1/3.

I can deal with that. Keeps feeling like there isn’t much more to deal with after the Temple but who knows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I got Pikmin 3 Deluxe for Christmas and it's still great. New controls took some getting used to but I liked them in the end, even if I think they shoulda brought back right stick control. I really liked the Olimar side story, it's much more my speed than mission mode. Nice variety and a bit more wiggle room to get platinums. I do kinda want to try to get all the badges, but I'm not sure I'm up to getting platinums in mission mode. I don't think I ever got any on the Wii U version. For the badge I only have to pull out 10 but the timer seems so harsh on even the easiest ones. Though defeat bosses got me an easy 5 so it's really only 5 more I have to work out from the other 30.

Any Pikmin experts out there with mission mode tips?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I can deal with that. Keeps feeling like there isn’t much more to deal with after the Temple but who knows

If you're going in blind there are a couple of important things you can miss by that point in the game. Scroll over for hints:

There are two optional party members you can recruit. One is asleep when you first meet them and one you first meet as a random encounter. The second one has a whole story arc in a place you can only reach after you get the plane that you can skip accidentally

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Slay the spire is cool and good

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Slay the Spire is hopes and dreams / gambling which is cool and good for some people but not for others.

The promise of fun combos that you may or may not get is more compelling than actually getting said combos.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

You just broke magic: the gathering down to its bare essentials

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Ring Fit Adventure is fun as hell, it’s such a cool way to do a fitness game. I consider myself to have above average physical fitness and was decently challenged by the first few levels, no wonder this thing was impossible to find at the start of the lockdowns. It’s a great way to get some exercise without going outside.

I’m glad I’ve had this sitting around untouched for a few months, because I’m going into 14 days home quarantine starting today and it will be very useful to not feel too sedentary

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Definitely get Slay the Spire. I was addicted to it for quite some time.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I liked slay the spire a lot but I honestly got sick of it pretty quickly. I liked the defect a lot but didn't gel with any of the other characters which kind of explains why I have good memories of it and put a decent whack of hours into it but I haven't played it since they introduced the witch and I gave it a crack again and didn't like her

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

ThatWhiteGuy posted:

Ring Fit Adventure is fun as hell, it’s such a cool way to do a fitness game. I consider myself to have above average physical fitness and was decently challenged by the first few levels, no wonder this thing was impossible to find at the start of the lockdowns. It’s a great way to get some exercise without going outside.

I got this as a Christmas gift and it's kicking my rear end! I am a lazy out-of-shape almost-30 lump though, so I look forward to Ring Fit at least preventing my heart from giving out by the time I'm forty years old. :P Is there a recommendation for how many levels/worlds/whatever they're called to do in a day?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
If I'm already a sedentary shlup--not rotund or anything, just not active other than walking around the house while i'm on work calls--I assume Ring Fit Adventure would be a net positive?

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Oh no, the best game of the year got pushed back. Was looking forward to replaying it in handheld.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Oh hey, speaking of Ring Fit Adventure, I still have the second copy I inadvertently ordered, so if anyone wants it for a bit off retail shoot me a PM with an offer. Brand new, never opened.

Edit: Claimed!

The Maroon Hawk fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Dec 28, 2020

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I bought World of Final Fantasy Maxima since it was on sale for 20 bucks on the eshop. Haven't played a "100 hours to do everything" JRPG in a while.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Morter posted:

If I'm already a sedentary shlup--not rotund or anything, just not active other than walking around the house while i'm on work calls--I assume Ring Fit Adventure would be a net positive?
Yeah, even the basic jogging in place would be a simple step up, but the main benefit would be the various strength exercises. Well that and just exercising regularly in general.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I've been playing final fantasy 7 a lot and its great has anyone ever played this. anyone played final fantasy 7.

I just got Cid and my poo poo got took, how far am I through the game.

Shortly after reaching the 24 hour mark while playing I hit the "end of disc one" screen. I decided at that point I probably didn't have the time to finish it.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Morter posted:

Absolutely. You’ll feel a lot better just doing Ring Fit regularly.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 28, 2020

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Inferior Third Season posted:

I was really expecting a lot more retro games from the big companies after the success of Mega Man 9. It seems like a no-brainer - just dedicate a team of like 12 people to continuing old NES and SNES franchises, and rake in the money. Even if some games tank, the development costs are a drop in the bucket compared to modern games.

This actually was a trend for a while. Particularly with Capcom and Konami.

The issue is that the games didn't perform so hot.

Mega Man 9 definitely shook some ground when it released but Mega Man 10 didn't sell anywhere near as well.

They gradually realized that the best approach to take was either rerelease old games ala Mega Man Legacy Collection, M2 Sega eShop titles, and Disney Classic Games or put in a ton of effort with a full fledged sequel ala Sonic Mania, Mega Man 11, and Streets of Rage 4. There's no real middleground that will work anymore, especially in the day of age where there are dozen quality 8-bit/16-bit indie games being released every week.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Read After Burning posted:

I got this as a Christmas gift and it's kicking my rear end! I am a lazy out-of-shape almost-30 lump though, so I look forward to Ring Fit at least preventing my heart from giving out by the time I'm forty years old. :P Is there a recommendation for how many levels/worlds/whatever they're called to do in a day?

I think overall for most people who don't normally exercise, the important thing is to just be consistent in playing daily.

I personally shoot for 30 minutes a day on the in-game timer, but I also increased the difficulty by 3 levels after about day 12. I plan on increasing difficulty again next month.

Morter posted:

Ring fit is super good and perfect if you're just looking for a way to be more active with decent exercise. It actually motivates me to do it regularly and is a lot more fun than running by myself or following a youtube routine.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010

MechaSeinfeld posted:

I've been playing final fantasy 7 a lot and its great has anyone ever played this. anyone played final fantasy 7.

I just got Cid and my poo poo got took, how far am I through the game.

I just started as well. I thought I gave this game a chance on PC years ago but turns out I only played for 2 hours. I get impatient with random battles and turn-based combat but this version has triple speed and an I Win button. Press the right stick to fill HP and limit gauge lol whoever thought of that was a genius. I wish FFX/X-2 had a similar function

Fun Times! fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Dec 28, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

punk rebel ecks posted:

This actually was a trend for a while. Particularly with Capcom and Konami.

The issue is that the games didn't perform so hot.

Mega Man 9 definitely shook some ground when it released but Mega Man 10 didn't sell anywhere near as well.

They gradually realized that the best approach to take was either rerelease old games ala Mega Man Legacy Collection, M2 Sega eShop titles, and Disney Classic Games or put in a ton of effort with a full fledged sequel ala Sonic Mania, Mega Man 11, and Streets of Rage 4. There's no real middleground that will work anymore, especially in the day of age where there are dozen quality 8-bit/16-bit indie games being released every week.

Issue kinda is that it's a one-time high for the most part, once the novelty wears off you're stacking them up against AAA releases and hardcore nostalgia, two of the biggest pillars of video games.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Fun Times! posted:

I just started as well. I thought I gave this game a chance on PC years ago but turns out I only played for 2 hours. I get impatient with random battles and turn-based combat but this version has triple speed and an I Win button. Press the right stick to fill HP and limit gauge lol whoever thought of that was a genius. I wish FFX/X-2 had a similar function

Yeah, the speed-up and insta-win functions are godsends. I can't stand ATB, so I'm essentially playing the original FF7 as a visual novel before I take a shot at the remake.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

In Shiren I can’t seem to go on rescue operations. The dude only forces me to send out revival or undo grasses. What am I missing here?

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Fun Times! posted:

yeah the god mode and 3x speed just bypasses the open world stuff. I turn it off for the ‘main’ bits because, much to my surprise, I’m having a great deal of fun playing it.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Read After Burning posted:

Yeah, the speed-up and insta-win functions are godsends. I can't stand ATB, so I'm essentially playing the original FF7 as a visual novel before I take a shot at the remake.

You will be glad you did, because a lot of stuff in the remake doesn't make sense at all unless you have played the original.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Regy Rusty posted:

I got Pikmin 3 Deluxe for Christmas and it's still great. New controls took some getting used to but I liked them in the end, even if I think they shoulda brought back right stick control. I really liked the Olimar side story, it's much more my speed than mission mode. Nice variety and a bit more wiggle room to get platinums. I do kinda want to try to get all the badges, but I'm not sure I'm up to getting platinums in mission mode. I don't think I ever got any on the Wii U version. For the badge I only have to pull out 10 but the timer seems so harsh on even the easiest ones. Though defeat bosses got me an easy 5 so it's really only 5 more I have to work out from the other 30.

Any Pikmin experts out there with mission mode tips?

I was able to platinum all of mission mode, and here are a few ides that helped me out.

1. Don't try to complete the mission when you first start it. It's helps to first scout the area and develop a specific strategy. Each mission definitely has a broad intended solution (that can sometimes be quite creative) that is easier to deduce if you get a good look at the map first.

2. Very very rarely will you ever have to manually break down a regular wall with pikimin. You can almost always destroy it with a bomb or finds some way around it. On a related note, bombs are absurdly vital to understand and use efficiently. They can destroy regular and glass walls, one-shot most enemies, and unearth hidden treasures. Discovering where the bombs are is an important part of scouting the area.

3. It tends to be more optimal to use fewer pikmin on a specific job than more. Using more pikmin means having more pikmin waiting idle that you have to spend time collecting. For example, treasures like the pile of gold rocks or grape clusters usually only require 1-3 pikmin to complete. As long as they get it done before time runs out, it is basically the most optimal solution. Clearing out specific sections of the map is also good for similar reasons

4. I've found that the "defeat enemies" missions are quite a bit easier to platinum than the "collect treasures" missions. Since the pikmin don't necessarily have to carry anything, that's one less problem to plan around. If you want to start with the easier stuff and then work your way up, starting with "defeat enemies" might be better.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
I forget who asked about it and if it was this thread or the Rocket League one, but local multi/split screen was broken/disabled for a few months on Switch. But it's back now, so whoever you are, y'all can play with someone now apparently.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Slay the Spire is great, and it's hard not to buy it for switch, but now I've got Diablo 3, Stardew and Dragon's Dogma on both switch and PC, so I won't.

Also, Hard was a bad idea on Dogma, normal is way better. I think that was my conclusion on PC too.

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
gently caress. I thought they actually fixed Bloodstained on Switch. I've had so many crashes. I really need to always save before doing anything when I get back to town. I just lost maybe 30 minutes of progress.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Ring fit is sold out constantly here :(

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Hammer Bro. posted:

Slay the Spire is hopes and dreams / gambling which is cool and good for some people but not for others.

The promise of fun combos that you may or may not get is more compelling than actually getting said combos.

Funnily enough, that's not necessarily the way to think about building a deck in StS. The main goal is to set yourself up such that you can defeat whatever situation you need to, which means having counters for the boss of the act, the elites of the act, and the hallway fights. Sometimes that means the potential to scale up, sometimes that means the potential to do large amounts of AoE right off the bat (especially for hallway fights), etc. Relics can cover some gaps, certain cards cover other gaps. Some cards are better in combination with other cards and with certain relics, but a deck that scales up massively by turn 10 is useless when you fight three jaw worms in act 3 who all start attacking you on turn 1 for substantial damage. It's a pretty interesting challenge, because you want to thin your deck to make it more powerful, but at the same time you need niche cards that are only powerful in certain situations to make it through certain fights.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Where the heck is the DUSK port :sigh:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Shyfted One posted:

gently caress. I thought they actually fixed Bloodstained on Switch. I've had so many crashes. I really need to always save before doing anything when I get back to town. I just lost maybe 30 minutes of progress.
that's a shame, i played through the entire game without any issue

maybe they. .. introduced more crashes?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shyfted One posted:

Yeah it’s still terrible and crashy. Sorry people mislead you.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shyfted One posted:

Are you playing on cartridge? Have you checked for an update?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I played the most recent update not too long ago and there wasn’t any crashes. Plenty of slowdown but nothing game breaking. Terrible port though.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Social Animal posted:

In Shiren I can’t seem to go on rescue operations. The dude only forces me to send out revival or undo grasses. What am I missing here?

For rescues in the main story dungeon you just send out herbs. Once you get to the postgame dungeons or the optional ones in the dungeon house you’ll do real rescues where you actually explore the dungeon.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sam Faust posted:

I was able to platinum all of mission mode, and here are a few ides that helped me out.

1. Don't try to complete the mission when you first start it. It's helps to first scout the area and develop a specific strategy. Each mission definitely has a broad intended solution (that can sometimes be quite creative) that is easier to deduce if you get a good look at the map first.

2. Very very rarely will you ever have to manually break down a regular wall with pikimin. You can almost always destroy it with a bomb or finds some way around it. On a related note, bombs are absurdly vital to understand and use efficiently. They can destroy regular and glass walls, one-shot most enemies, and unearth hidden treasures. Discovering where the bombs are is an important part of scouting the area.

3. It tends to be more optimal to use fewer pikmin on a specific job than more. Using more pikmin means having more pikmin waiting idle that you have to spend time collecting. For example, treasures like the pile of gold rocks or grape clusters usually only require 1-3 pikmin to complete. As long as they get it done before time runs out, it is basically the most optimal solution. Clearing out specific sections of the map is also good for similar reasons

4. I've found that the "defeat enemies" missions are quite a bit easier to platinum than the "collect treasures" missions. Since the pikmin don't necessarily have to carry anything, that's one less problem to plan around. If you want to start with the easier stuff and then work your way up, starting with "defeat enemies" might be better.

Thank you! I had absolutely no idea bombs could dig up buried items, that's amazing. I'll start on defeat enemies and see how they go. If I can get the 5 I need at least that'll take the pressure off.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Snowmankilla posted:

Been following the excellent advice of the goons. Picked up Hades and Donut County (for super cheap). I don’t think I need any big games once I get Hades going, but any other eshop games that are cool, but too short for full price? Because I am very in love with Donut Country. Like playing Katamari for the first time.

Here's some short indie games I've enjoyed on Switch, in rough recommendation order. The only one I'd give a strong recommend is Gris. The rest are fine, get them if they look interesting to you, or don't.

Gris
Neo Cab
The Gardens Between
When the Past was Around
Pikuniku
Minit
Sayonara Wild Hearts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Are you playing on cartridge? Have you checked for an update?

eShop, not cart. I'm just surprised how frequent it is. I figured it'd be a lot better by now.