Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Relin posted:

isnt yakuza like a dragon an "it was all a dream" plot

Laffo no. Whoever told you that doesn't understand magical realism or fantastical elements of mundane narratives even a scotch. It'd be like saying Max Payne is all a dream because he has a line of dialog while high talking about meta things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that

Mill Village posted:

Anyone play Omori yet? I’m still in the prologue but the difficulty sure jumps up after the tutorial. I’m just trying to get a hang of things but most enemies kill you in two hits.

The horror elements are interesting. There’s not really any jump scares, but it does get very dark and creepy at times. I had to stab myself at one point to advance the game.

I found it got easier once your characters get more tools to work with. Buffs and debuffs are pretty important for keeping on top of the trickier fights. Figuring out how to make your characters moods work to your benefit also helps a lot.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
On recommendation from a friend I picked up Tales of Berseria. I'm through the prologue and up to the first town and so far I can't decide if I love or hate Magilou.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

theshim posted:

On recommendation from a friend I picked up Tales of Berseria. I'm through the prologue and up to the first town and so far I can't decide if I love or hate Magilou.

i trust you will make the right choice

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the protagonist of like a dragon visualizes all fights as jrpg fights because hes into dragon quest. that doesnt mean the fights arent happening, it just means that the turn-based combat is how his mind interprets them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Motherflipping lmao at Labyrinth of Refrain bogarting its main narrative until 40 hours into the game and going for twists in a 5 minute plot dump like Chubby Checker was their lead writer. The writing can't ever acknowledge any of it before that point since they desperately want it to be a twist so a whole bunch of stuff doesn't really make sense since people who know whats going on just uh, don't bother to do things they should? Maybe there will be something in another 40 hours to contextualize this in a minute and a half cutscene.

Im genuinely having a good laugh because it was basically the game turning, looking you dead in the eyes, and going "yes, I was completely stalling you until this moment"

Edit: The 6th dungeon has the single worst handled quest chain from a mechanical standpoint Ive seen in a game in a loooong time.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Dec 28, 2020

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ok, but seriously if I wanted to try a good modernish dungeon crawler what game should I try?

Primarily on PC but if emulation is the best way I can look into that.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
labyrinth of touhou 2

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Barudak posted:

Edit: The 6th dungeon has the single worst handled quest chain from a mechanical standpoint Ive seen in a game in a loooong time.

If you can, could you elaborate on this? I was thinking a week ago about what quests people thought would be the "worst" in rpgs, and I figured everyone probably has different criteria.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ventana posted:

If you can, could you elaborate on this? I was thinking a week ago about what quests people thought would be the "worst" in rpgs, and I figured everyone probably has different criteria.

So the dungeon is, thematically cool. Its a giant mausoleum on a massive lake where you can't see land. The only person on it is a small non-human child who takes bodies that drift to it and completes chores and a ghost who tells you this has been all there is for the past 1,000 years. 90% of it is finding out what happened to this place and it has two floors that have nearly no enemies.

The issue is the way the games events work you see them on the map with an ! marking them as an event. As you do finish they get removed and the next one added. The problem here is twofold. First for whatever reason the old events dont go away on this map so you end up with 3 event flags on the map. The second is the quest progresses over 4 "days" but on day 2 you're given free range of the entire dungeon and can go to the end where you also find a new event flag that does nothing. What you are supposed to do is go back and forth between the static 4 and theyll have the next step, except when they dont and are just repeats. Theres no indication when a spot is now ready for you so you're just aimlessly going between floors and flags hoping this is now the right one.

Where it gets extra silly is remember what I said about free range of the dungeon? Well on the final day it adds new event flags to the dungeon and... they're placed around floors you probably long ago cleared. So if you are like me and went into the dungeon when you first got access, enjoy going through a bunch of it again, once you figure out that the way to progress is to go back to previously dead end events that work now.

The reason this is so baffling to me is the game doesn't do this anywhere else so they knew how to do this they just willfully didn't here in this one section. Its why I said mechanically this is bad

Barudak fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Dec 28, 2020

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Hel posted:

Ok, but seriously if I wanted to try a good modernish dungeon crawler what game should I try?

Do you like roguelikes? Shiren the Wanderer is a classic, and I'm fond of A Magical High School Girl and the Long Walk Home; it's a charming little indie game with a spell crafting system similar to that of Treasure of the Rudras, which makes up for the fact that it's short and simplistic. Being five dollars on sale and having a free demo help too. I've heard good things about Noita, and Hades is an excellent action-based dungeon crawler.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Hel posted:

etrian odyssey 4 (3DS). should be emulatable. good entry point to the Etrian Odyssey series, which is probably the most popular and polished series of dungeon crawlers to come out of Japan

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Replaying Dragon's Dogma.

Man this game is so unique and like there's so many things begging for iteration or enhancements. Come on CAPCOM let/get Itsuno make a new one.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

theshim posted:

Magikazam

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

theshim posted:

Magilou is fine. Bienfu is the real scumbag.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
people shoulda not mention troubleshooter the last page i just spent 10 hours in it despite getting it last night and being in the middle of banner of the maid and yakuza 7

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Snooze Cruise posted:

people shoulda not mention troubleshooter the last page i just spent 10 hours in it despite getting it last night and being in the middle of banner of the maid and yakuza 7

How's Banner of the Maid? Looks like a nice graphics FE-like if I'm understanding the mechanics correctly. I can't find if there's a speed up or skip animation option

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Artelier posted:

How's Banner of the Maid? Looks like a nice graphics FE-like if I'm understanding the mechanics correctly. I can't find if there's a speed up or skip animation option

There is a skip animation toggle. I'm liking it a lot, def a FE-like but really takes from everything here and there. Has some silly stuff like a faction systems where when you gain favor you unlock new tiers in their stores to buy weapons, healing items, or in the case of the military school, passive skills. Story is silly and fun for what it is. Recommend getting the DLC with the sexy pirate lady.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Dec 29, 2020

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I didn't know that got an English release. I'll have to check it out. I considered playing it in Chinese when it first came out, but thought better of it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Labyrinth of Refrain coven issues:

Kicking off, the game has a neat idea in that you use "Covens" for setting up your party. Basically each slot of 5 total you can assign a coven. A coven dictates how many characters can fit in that slot, the xp they earn, what type of characters can even go in those slots, passive bonuses, and what spells they can cast. A coven can have between 1-8 character slots available. I love this idea!

1) While some covens can be earned from quests or found in treasure, many are random drops especially regarding getting duplicates. This leads to:
a) Some really really destroy the games difficulty curve good ones are random drops so apparently you can very early on get ones that upend the whole games curve
b) Theres no checklist or explanation of how to get these covenants and no way to buy any except a completely trash useless one that might as be labeled "for idiots only"
c) Wondering if you should be farming another one you found and liked if it is even farmable

2) Covens have clear tiers, the ones you start with should be trash binned basically the moment you have better ones and theres absolutely no value to hanging onto them later, you'll never need them

3) Covens control so much of your character options but there is no way to adjust or modify them. You have to take what the game gives you so you're basically building your party around your covens you have available. This would be fine, but--

4) There just aren't that many covens, especially viable ones, for huge stretches of the game. As noted, I didn't change my coven setup for close to 20 hours in the game. A huge reason for that was I saw maybe 10 new covens in that period and they all were very very bad.

5) You can't find out the information about what the spells a coven has actually do until you equip the coven and try to use it in battle. I do not understand how this is not a feature but it means if you're hoping a coven has good spells you gotta do a lot of work to setup and test it just to see

Edit: Absolute lmao that the "holy king" whose pure spirit can seal away a horror from beyond time and space with his goodness built an immortal child slave to do his work for him for 1,000 years and lied to it that he could bring back its dead parents (which again, it does not have) to keep it motivated. He does all this through paper notes claiming to be god so he doesn't have to interact with the slave child in person.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Dec 29, 2020

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Delsaber posted:

Magilou is fine. Bienfu is the real scumbag.
I don't know who that is yet, but if I'm already divided on one character and you tell me another is much worse that's not predisposing me kindly towards this game.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Artelier posted:

The gameplay and graphics are good, I didn't really care for the plot and the translation was pretty bad. Dunno if they've improved the translation or not, I think it was still in beta when I played the game

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
while i'm still enjoying tales of hearts i'm growing increasingly concerned that no dungeon will look as nice as this place you wander through like an hour in

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Ah goddamnit I hosed up and moved a cm too far and missed a whole questline in Dragons Dogma. Guh. I really don't miss games doing this and am so glad they've moved away from it.

Looper posted:

while i'm still enjoying tales of hearts i'm growing increasingly concerned that no dungeon will look as nice as this place you wander through like an hour in

That's just Marisa. I know Zun is chill about copyright, but cmon Tales, that's literally Marisa.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

A Sometimes Food posted:

That's just Marisa. I know Zun is chill about copyright, but cmon Tales, that's literally Marisa.

and Marisa is just Witch from Puyo/Madou

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

kirbysuperstar posted:

and Marisa is just Witch from Puyo/Madou

Maybe GIS has failed me but that looks a fair bit further removed in both the old art and new art I could see.

Edit: gently caress it sorry, shouldn't argue about a dumb joke.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

theshim posted:

I don't know who that is yet, but if I'm already divided on one character and you tell me another is much worse that's not predisposing me kindly towards this game.

It's more that Magilou gets better but she's connected to an intentionally lovely character.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I guess it’s not really a twist if you played Tales of Zestria but I didn’t and it was kind of funny when the other normin shows up and it turns out Bienfu has an obnoxious goblin voice is because he’s an obnoxious creepy goblin loser and not cause he’s a mascot looking character.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

bienfu exists almost entirely to get dunked on iirc only laphi is sometimes nice to him and that's cause he's laphi. people get annoyed at magilou but she's respected in a way bienfu never gets to be

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I don't know how this happened and it must be a bug but when I go to load a save in Labyrinth of refrain it defaults to trying to load the save before my most recent save

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Barudak posted:

I don't know how this happened and it must be a bug but when I go to load a save in Labyrinth of refrain it defaults to trying to load the save before my most recent save

This is just armchair-coding here, but I'd wager the saves are pulled into the "load-game" screen as an array from oldest to newest, and someone set it to call the savegame in position 1 as the "most recent" instead of position 0.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Paintbrush Witch is a powerful design concept imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

A Sometimes Food posted:

it's literally not

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
*points at witch halloween decoration* literally Marisa!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
it's not-not marisa

theshim posted:

the whole cast is actually great.

Artelier posted:

it's a clunky FE but it's ok.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
i don't know much about touhou but i do know that beryl is a fun character

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What's a good tales of game to get into after vesperia and berseria

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Graces F on the PS3 or Abyss on the 3DS. If you don't have either of those consoles lying around nothing really.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ninjewtsu posted:

What's a good tales of game to get into after vesperia and berseria

Abyss, but with a guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
eternia for ps1/psp