Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Max Wilco posted:

I'm having some difficulty trying to decide what to get. Are there any deals right now that anybody would recommend? One of the games I was looking at was Fable Anniversary. I never played the original, and it sounds like Fable: Lost Chapters has compatibility issues.

I ended up liking Fable Anniversary a lot, almost despite its best efforts. The original Fable overpromised SO HARD - it wanted to be SO COOL and SO IN-DEPTH and have SUCH A COMPLEX DEVELOPING WORLD and what's left is a little stump with a lot of broken-off nubs that used to be entire skill trees. At the same time, the things it tried and failed to do have since been developed and expanded upon by other games, so it feels like the fumbling precursor to a lot of western RPGs.

That being said, it's fun! And dumb! I liked being able to run around and show off my hunt trophies to people and have them go ooh and aaah and then laugh and call me 'chicken chaser' when my back is turned. It's not going to surprise you in any way, but it's a good and colorful time.

I didn't have any issues running the Lost Chapters, so I can't speak to that. They were also fun and dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I know Austin Walker has talked about it a lot and really loves it, it's been on my list for a bit.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Can anyone recommend a good single-player dungeon crawler where you control a party of characters that isnt turn-based?

I really want to like the new wave of D&D style games, Baulders Gate 3, Pillars of Eternity, Tyranny, etc, but they always become so boring by the tenth battle and I mentally check out. Gimme another Dungeon Siege where I can just relax and progress and watch my heroes beat up goblins without constant direct input from me.

Oh, and not action-rpg like diablo and grim dawn. Those are great games but not what I'm looking for right now.

Have you heard of Tower of Time? It's technically RTWP, but the "pause" is actually just super-slo-mo, and the battles are definitely designed to be much more fast-paced than many other CRPGs. You can also set it to easy and get something very like the "click monsters to make dead" difficulty level of a Diablo, where you barely need to slow time at all

Plus the writing and story are actually quite good!

Too Shy Guy reviewed it a few years back, if you want to read more.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

It's good, but not very focused. You kinda just sail around and explore, for the most part. Carry cargo from one place to another, look for new ports, stuff like that. The game it's most similar to, in abstract, is Sid Meier's Pirates!, just with fewer minigames. The combat is really fun, and surprisingly deep for how simple the presentation is. It has some interesting world-building, if not incredible writing.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Black Griffon posted:

I know Austin Walker has talked about it a lot and really loves it, it's been on my list for a bit.

Yeah him tweeting today that it might be the most slept-on PC game of 2020 had me thinking "oh do i need to add another to this last-minute list" lol

Begemot posted:

It's good, but not very focused. You kinda just sail around and explore, for the most part. Carry cargo from one place to another, look for new ports, stuff like that. The game it's most similar to, in abstract, is Sid Meier's Pirates!, just with fewer minigames. The combat is really fun, and surprisingly deep for how simple the presentation is. It has some interesting world-building, if not incredible writing.

Thanks! A new Pirates!-like with good combat sounds appealing...

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I played a lot of a game on my boo's account (remote two player thing) then I bought the game and it doesn't run well on my computer. They don't want to refund it. The steam app records me as having played it for many hours but I only played the copy that i bought for ten minutes. Other than that we were playing on their copy. Is there any further recourse with them?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

You can keep hitting up support and hope somebody actually reads your ticket or maybe try emailing Gabe but that is about it. The rejection isn't automatic but it can sometimes take a few tries to get somebody who actually will read your support request and they have a lot of leeway to do things.

Also maybe try contacting the developer? If it's a big company forget it but a smaller dev might be willing to issue you a refund or help you through whatever technical issue/bug your having.

The final option is to do a chargeback but they will ban your account from using the store and marketplace and blacklist your payment method .

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 29, 2020

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Not a Children posted:

Thanks for the responses y'all. I was specifically looking for a non-MMO as some of the people I play with will not do a subscription-model game, though maybe I can talk em into at least doing the trial period.

The FFXIV free trial is really long now. It used to just be levels 1-35 which is the most boring part of the game, but now It goes all the way through to level 60 -- the entire base game and the first expansion (out of three).
I'm still not sure if it'll be what you're looking for though. There are a bunch of dungeons and raids you could do with a party of 4 at those higher levels but there'll be a lot of playing through story quests solo to get there.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I beat Superliminal today (huge thanks to Nekoxid for sending that over) and man, what a fantastic puzzle game. It's also short and sweet which I appreciate these days. I took around 2 hours to beat it the first time, but it turns out I missed a lot of side rooms and hidden items. I am combing through it again looking for everything. Overall it was pretty easy, but what a pleasant experience. It reminds me of the Portal games with more of a focus on perspective puzzles.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Det_no posted:

The one thing I remember about Brigador's release was the constant forum posts about how the controls were weird and the devs being like "no we ain't gonna change them" over and over.

It has multiple control options now but I didn't play it at release, what was the original setting? With anything other than tank controls I think it really detracts from a lot of the unique mech functionality which is a HUGE draw of the game

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Not a Children posted:

Thanks for the responses y'all. I was specifically looking for a non-MMO as some of the people I play with will not do a subscription-model game, though maybe I can talk em into at least doing the trial period.

If it helps, Elder Scrolls Online and Guild Wars aren't subscription-based: there's a lot of content you can access in the completely free base game, with only the expansions (and stuff like buying stash space or whatever) costing money. FFXIV also has a trial period for the initial base game, but again, the warning I stated beforehand apply considering how slow the game starts (and to be fair, most MMOs also start slow, just FFXIV is the slowest ever I've encountered).

For online coop RPGs, there's definitely all the hack-and-slash loot games I mentioned before, like Diablo 3, Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, Torchlight 2, and Borderlands 3, for example. After that, there are the "Tales of" games, like Tales of Berseria and Vesperia and so on: those are a bit different in that it will be one player playing the game, walking around, talking and such, but having other players each able to control their own party member when you go into combat (I've done it with friends before so it can work, as long as they don't mind sitting around, chit-chatting while watching along). There's also the Monster Hunter games, such as Monster Hunter World, along with similar games like God Eater 3 and Toukiden 2, where it's just all combat and beating up big bosses together. I don't have any experience with it, but there are also more straight-forward RPG games like Divinity Original Sin and Wasteland 3 that sport interesting coop modes.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 29, 2020

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

goferchan posted:

It has multiple control options now but I didn't play it at release, what was the original setting? With anything other than tank controls I think it really detracts from a lot of the unique mech functionality which is a HUGE draw of the game

The controls on launch were Relative Controls(tank controls) the absolute control scheme was added as part of the 2017 relaunch. Brigador is not a twin-stick shooter and the control scheme difference is actually meaningful in gameplay.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Dec 29, 2020

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
I leave Brigador installed. I just love that game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hub Cat posted:

The controls on launch were Relative Controls(tank controls) the absolute control scheme was added as part of the 2017 relaunch. Brigador is not a twin-stick shooter and the control scheme difference is actually meaningful in gameplay.

The original/default/relative controls for antigravs are extremely stupid.
Unlike the tanks and mechs, they can move in any direction without having to turn. So obviously they don't use tank controls, which are all about turning.
Just use WSAD for forward/backward/left/right, right? Well, the game does that, except the movement is all relative to your mouse position. W moves towards the mouse always, and A moves 90 degrees counterclockwise from that, etc.
Aim at an enemy straight eastward? Now W moves East and A moves north. :psyduck:

Absolute controls are a million times better than that crazy scheme.

Tank controls work just fine for the actual tanks/mechs though.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Man that Yokohoma Underground Dungeon in Yakuza 7 took loving forever.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hub Cat posted:

The one brother(Gauss) was making some lovely (transphobic etc.) posts on a YCS offsite.the posts[CW:Racism Transphobia anti-semitism, Homophobia] if you want to see them. (there may be more these were just the ones screenshotted and shared on SA)

https://twitter.com/StellarJockeys/status/1275559933606424576

Begemot posted:

Meaning that you can be SO DUMB that you somehow make a FOLDING CHAIR EXPLODE IN YOUR FACE.
Or box of crayons, or a plastic christmas tree.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Max Wilco posted:

I'm having some difficulty trying to decide what to get. Are there any deals right now that anybody would recommend? One of the games I was looking at was Fable Anniversary. I never played the original, and it sounds like Fable: Lost Chapters has compatibility issues.

Picayune posted:

I ended up liking Fable Anniversary a lot, almost despite its best efforts. The original Fable overpromised SO HARD - it wanted to be SO COOL and SO IN-DEPTH and have SUCH A COMPLEX DEVELOPING WORLD and what's left is a little stump with a lot of broken-off nubs that used to be entire skill trees. At the same time, the things it tried and failed to do have since been developed and expanded upon by other games, so it feels like the fumbling precursor to a lot of western RPGs.

That being said, it's fun! And dumb! I liked being able to run around and show off my hunt trophies to people and have them go ooh and aaah and then laugh and call me 'chicken chaser' when my back is turned. It's not going to surprise you in any way, but it's a good and colorful time.

I didn't have any issues running the Lost Chapters, so I can't speak to that. They were also fun and dumb.

To me the USP of Fable is that it's a nice, simple, streamlined RPG experience. That it was a game that had so much overpromised complexity during development is weird because I'd expect the result of that to be some broken mess of way too many complex systems, not Fable.

Fable is a fun game and it's probably the best in the series since the later installations added a bit more of that complexity that the games didn't need.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Griefor posted:

To me the USP of Fable is that it's a nice, simple, streamlined RPG experience. That it was a game that had so much overpromised complexity during development is weird because I'd expect the result of that to be some broken mess of way too many complex systems, not Fable.

Fable is a fun game and it's probably the best in the series since the later installations added a bit more of that complexity that the games didn't need.

Fable 2 was a great game that actually delivered on way more of the original Fable hype.

Fable 3 was a loving trash fire.

I do have fond memories of Fable. During finals week I figured I could "speedrun" the game faster then another roommate, so a third roommate watched us each play the game separately as the referee and after I beat the game in ~8 hours the next day I got to walk in to the TV room to both of them yelling in my face "YOU LOST BITCH!"

To this day I couldn't tell you a single detail about any of those final exams but I will remember walking in and seeing the game beaten faster then me and a smug look on that guy's face.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Dec 29, 2020

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

pentyne posted:

Fable 2 was a great game that actually delivered on way more of the original Fable hype.
And yet it's the one we'll never get to play on PC :(

Finished both F1 & F3 on PC and while neither of them were good, they were exactly what I *expected.

*pretty bad

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Funny enough, Peter Molyneux, the figurehead and one of the founders of Lionshead Studios, was the one who saw the writing on the wall when Microsoft bought the company and left just before the studio was told to become a "games as a service" thing that euthanized the company.

For all the exaggerated hype the Fable games were excellent sellers, so he at least understood what people wanted to buy.

Now the people who make the Forza games are making a new Fable. I'm not buying a new xbox but I figure if it's a massive success it'll get a PC port down the line like almost all other games save Bloodborne.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

pentyne posted:

Now the people who make the Forza games are making a new Fable. I'm not buying a new xbox but I figure if it's a massive success it'll get a PC port down the line like almost all other games save Bloodborne.

It'll probably be on PC day 1 like every MS game for the last while

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Brigador was a weird case of being so sure you were going through be a cult hit that you commission an entire audiobook of Lore before you even finish the game and ignore all your playtesters telling you that they want an actual tutorial and campaign and the option to play with a control scheme that isn't counter-intuitive because you're so sure the silent majority of hardcore gamers will validate you, and then none of that materializing into an audience.

It was so strange finally playing Brigador when gog gave it away, after reading quite a bit about it on these forums.
The cheap feeling interface, a billion weapon and vehicle options none of them explained in any way (the descriptions are actually HIDDEN until after you buy a thing), a few lines of 'lore' you have to unlock paying ingame $$$ :confused:

I played 2 maps and was done with it forever. Some random tower defense/shooter affair that I forgot what wretched bundle it spawned from and installed on a whim (X-Morph: Defense) was a lot more captivating.

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 10:51 on Dec 29, 2020

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

If you liked any of the other Rad Codex games, I can't imagine you not liking it. If you haven't played Rad Codex games before and you like SRPGs, why haven't you played Rad Codex games before?

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
What? Did you skip Campaign and go into Freelance? It's completely fine to not like the game, but I'm very confused about what you're saying. They already redid the tutorial to be more in-depth and the campaign missions ease you into using the loadouts that you trained with. Then it's about experimenting and trying out different tactics once you get to the missions that have different vehicles and loadouts.

Freelance was a good bit of fun with pilot difficulty/money multipliers and using loadouts I was comfortable with.

-

X-Morph: Defense is pretty good. I didn't stick with it though. Decent take on the genre.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Have you ever tried any other traditional roguelikes? Like Nethack or anything like that? If not then there are a bunch available for free and they'll give you a good feel for if this is a genre of games that you might enjoy. That said, Qud is amazing and fun even for someone like me who finds the interface and play with these games to generally be impenetrable. There's so much cool poo poo in there.

I liked Dredmor a lot and put 42 hours into it. I liked Tales of Maj'Eyal (the Steam version) enough to put 15h into it but just slowly burned out; runs are too long for a game where you die so much, for me. I find the the idea of playing anything ASCII-based very unappealing for whatever reason, and Qud's low-fi tilesets are pretty close. I still prefer things to happen on screen more than reading long paragraphs about it. I'm hoping that the other crazy fun aspects just make up for the parts that don't seem like my kind of game, but I'm just not sure about it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

sauer kraut posted:

It was so strange finally playing Brigador when gog gave it away, after reading quite a bit about it on these forums.
The cheap feeling interface, a billion weapon and vehicle options none of them explained in any way (the descriptions are actually HIDDEN until after you buy a thing), a few lines of 'lore' you have to unlock paying ingame $$$ :confused:

I played 2 maps and was done with it forever. Some random tower defense/shooter affair that I forgot what wretched bundle it spawned from and installed on a whim (X-Morph: Defense) was a lot more captivating.

It was explicitly designed to be the type of highly technical arcadey game that people would spend countless hours playing and replaying to learn all the ins and outs so they could eventually do stuff like play through levels with vehicles like a tuktuk with a howitzer mounted on it that dies in one hit or race through on a hover bike that can only fire straight in front of it. The problem is that that's not really how most people buy and consume games anymore and the developers seem to have initially had a hugely adversarial relationship with the idea of compromising their vision in the name of making something that would be more palatable to people outside of that hardcore score attack mindset and it was only once the game came out and flopped and failed to even get critical recognition due to their lack of self-promotion or willingness to play nice that they finally were willing to budge.

Even the novelty of its synthwave soundtrack was kind of oversold because by the time Brigador came out Far Cry: Blood Dragon had beaten them to the punch by three years and it came out a month before Stranger Things premiered so that was firmly in the realm of being a known quantity to the general public rather than something that people hadn't seen before.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

sauer kraut posted:

you didn't even find the ice pick to scratch the surface, c'mon man

srulz
Jun 23, 2013

RIP Duelyst
So what do you guys think about Surge 2, especially when compared with other Soulslikes?
This person had actually made quite a convincing argument for the game:

https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/comments/klpe6u/the_surge_2_is_the_first_soulslike_ive_played/

And the dismemberments from a random review I've seen seems pretty awesome.
So far, I've only been able to get into Sekiro & Star Wars: Fallen Order.
However, I just can't get into the rest, including the original Dark Souls 1/2/3.

So I'm very interested in what you guys think about Surge 2 vs the rest.
Especially because the current discount is pretty good.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea... every now and then someone bring up Brigador, and I go check the steam page again since I'm a huge sucker for Mechs. But there's something about the gfx and the way the game is presented, alongside the odd vehemently negative opinion, that seems to warn me away from the masses of positive reviews. I think I'd be wanting a Battletech/Armoured Core/Front Mission style game, and get something very different like Synthetik and be disappointed.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Anyone know if this Stranded Deep thing free on epic is anything more than survival clone n?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Picayune posted:

From looking at the Steam reviews/discussions for Lost Chapters, it sounds like compatibility varies from system-to-system. Fable Anniversary has native controller support, and it seems like the type of game that plays better with a controller.

Picayune posted:

Griefor posted:

That's sort of the impression I got from what I've seen/read about the game. It didn't live up to the hype, but it's still a pretty solid game.

-

Some more questions on other games:

Grim Dawn is a game I got in a Humble Bundle a few years ago, but haven't tried it yet. However, I was curious about the DLC for it. I read recently (maybe here in the thread) that there was a mod that recreates Diablo 2 in the game, but it requires all the DLC.

I keep thinking about buying one of the recent Battlefield games (either Battlefield V or Battlefield 1, leaning moreso towards BF1), but I'm skeptical about it. The main draw seems to be the multiplayer, but I'm always under the impression that the online for these games dies out after a new entry gets released (the Steam reviews also mention there's a cheating problem with BFV). They also have pretty big install sizes (50GB). I know that's the second time I've brought that up, but I've gotten burned out on games like Payday 2 and Vermintide 2, and while I sometimes think about picking them up again, what stops me is having to spend time downloading it and having it take up a large chunk of my hard drive, only to realize that I still don't feel like playing it.

I have Sniper Elite 4 on my wishlist. I played a little of Sniper Elite 2 (back in 2014 when there was just the original version; don't have the remastered version), but I dropped it around the second or third level, and never returned to it. Only thing I remember about it is that I thought the music was really terrible. I got the impression, though, that Sniper Elite 3 and 4 improved on the formula.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Max Wilco posted:

Grim Dawn is a game I got in a Humble Bundle a few years ago, but haven't tried it yet. However, I was curious about the DLC for it. I read recently (maybe here in the thread) that there was a mod that recreates Diablo 2 in the game, but it requires all the DLC.
That's correct, but what was your specific question?

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

If you’re wondering if the dlc is worthwhile in itself, the answer is yes, yes and no. Ashes of Malmouth and Forgotten Gods are polished and add a ton of content to the campaign as well as new classes. Shattered Realms adds an endless dungeon challenge which is cool for testing builds and pushing the metagame, so not of interest to a totally new player.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
Someone asked about Rimworld awhile back and got only a very terse response that was also mostly negative which surprised me because that's definitely not the common opinion of it IMO.

Even looking at something like Steam reviews, most of the negative reviews mention the price and graphics as the most common complaint. I will let other people decide whether the price is fair for them but the graphics are OK. I guess you could say it's ugly but personally I don't think so. Most of the negative reviews also have tens or hundreds of hours of playtime. Do with that what you will.

The comparisons to Dwarf Fortress are inevitable but I think Rimworld easily stands on its own. Maybe if you've played DF for hundreds of hours and expected Rimworld to be DF with graphics, you would be disappointed, but I find it hard to fault the game for that.

I've played the game for around 40 hours without any mods in 2017 and almost won back then, then took a break only to pick it up this year and added mods as I went. I've played roughly for 120 hours since then and while mods are super cool, I found myself removing a lot of them gradually because I just find vanilla to be good enough and sometimes even better than what you end up getting with a bunch of additions.

So just to make it really clear: it is definitely not necessary to have any mods to enjoy the game to its full.

I have no opinion on the DLC simply because I haven't bought it yet but I know people often say it's overpriced and that you can have more by just installing a few mods. I've found that to be an unfair argument against any official content since Minecraft modding became really popular. There is no way in hell the dev team can keep up with hundreds of people working in their spare time on additional content. That said, I've watched let's plays with the DLC and it seems really cool and to integrate well with the base game which I think is exactly what you need for this kind of game.

I wrote all of the above as a counterpoint to what I've read here in this thread but what I would actually write without being prompted is that Rimworld is a really, really good game that I find to balanced precariously well between complexity and accessibility. I love me some traditional roguelikes and complex simulations like Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead but I also like games being easy to pickup. Rimworld has both to a certain degree, it also has cool world, catchy soundtrack and vibrant modding community.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I tried Brigador a few months ago and it came off as very "meh". I only played for a couple of hours, but every mission I did felt like I was just popping a couple of enemy vehicles, maybe shooting down a building or two, and then driving to the exit. The controls felt pretty weird, and there were never any "gently caress yeah" moments that got me excited to keep playing.

Triarii fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 29, 2020

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Oh yeah Rimworld loving slaps (problematic creator there too if that's something you want to take into consideration, which is valid). Unmodded, it's an extremely solid, rich, nuts game. Modded, it's loving crazytown, just stampedes of deadly animals running defense on your poison swarm death base with the potential to break bad and turn your entire situation into the worst possible zoo. Craftsmen enacting recenge on everyone, eating all your weed brownies, using illegal super-vampire drugs to break in and set fire to your chair storage. A King's demand to realize a Fitzcaraldo-esque dream about building a temple in the freezing dessert. Cryo-frozen ultra-murderers imprisoned and turned into model citizens, model citizens turning into ultra murderers after crawling back home after getting attacked by chihuahuas in a botched raid. An endless expanse of accidents.

Ah poo poo, that's still just vanilla. Modded, it gets even crazier, so–

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Didn't Brigador get saved from being a complete financial failure by that one imgur post from the dev that went viral?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Cardiovorax posted:

That's correct, but what was your specific question?

I was just wondering what it was like, and if it was worth picking up, which Fruits of the Sea answered. Sorry it wasn't more clear.

-

Something I was looking at on Steam was software like 3DMark and FPS Monitor. Two of the games I've played recently (Dark Souls 3 and Cyberpunk 2077) have had issues with crashing or hitching up. I know Cyberpunk has had issues, but my hardware I think meets the requirements to run the game at High, but I've had to turn it down to low to get a good framerate, and it still crashes occasionally. With DS3, it happens sometimes when alt-tabbing out, or when loading a new area (though very rarely in the second case). It will also sometimes lock up for a few seconds, then resume.

My thought was to get a benchmark utility to try and see if there was a specific reason why the crashes happen (lack of memory, background programs interfering, etc.) I was wondering if there was one that's recommended.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

srulz posted:

So what do you guys think about Surge 2, especially when compared with other Soulslikes?
This person had actually made quite a convincing argument for the game:

https://www.reddit.com/r/patientgamers/comments/klpe6u/the_surge_2_is_the_first_soulslike_ive_played/

And the dismemberments from a random review I've seen seems pretty awesome.
So far, I've only been able to get into Sekiro & Star Wars: Fallen Order.
However, I just can't get into the rest, including the original Dark Souls 1/2/3.

So I'm very interested in what you guys think about Surge 2 vs the rest.
Especially because the current discount is pretty good.
its good. It is moving towards being its own thing. The first was closer to a souls game the second moves further away. It is much more actiony - faster paced, you have a lot of healing and can heal through a lot of damage and then regenerate that healing pool mid fight by hitting poo poo. By the end of the game I was pretty OP and could smash stuff and heal through a lot of punishment so its not nearly as hard. Its a bit tough at the start still. Adds some little side things like hiding holograms of yourself around the world and hunting other peoples holograms for credits. IMO its the best of the non from things... whatever that is worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Max Wilco posted:

I was just wondering what it was like, and if it was worth picking up, which Fruits of the Sea answered. Sorry it wasn't more clear.

-

Something I was looking at on Steam was software like 3DMark and FPS Monitor. Two of the games I've played recently (Dark Souls 3 and Cyberpunk 2077) have had issues with crashing or hitching up. I know Cyberpunk has had issues, but my hardware I think meets the requirements to run the game at High, but I've had to turn it down to low to get a good framerate, and it still crashes occasionally. With DS3, it happens sometimes when alt-tabbing out, or when loading a new area (though very rarely in the second case). It will also sometimes lock up for a few seconds, then resume.

My thought was to get a benchmark utility to try and see if there was a specific reason why the crashes happen (lack of memory, background programs interfering, etc.) I was wondering if there was one that's recommended.

You are far better off downloading RTSS to monitor CPU/GPU/RAM usage and temperature in real time. It's free and there are tons of youtube guides about how to set it up. Shouldn't take more than ten minutes for a first timer.

Edit: oh yeah and the Steam version of 3DMark has a demo that's obviously also free and includes the basic performance tests 99% of users are most likely to need.

Det_no fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Dec 29, 2020