Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Xcom 2 was worse than xcom 1

Hmm

nah the timers were good and the strategic layer was better. war of the chosen made for great replayability too although the balance wasn't as finely tuned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Megaman 2 was better than Megaman 1.

Check and Mate!

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
*kill a bunch of aliens on a boat, mission doesn't end*
*spend an hour searching giant cruise ship for aliens top to bottom.*
"welp, i guess the only place left to look is this tiny closet"
*opens door*

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china
The acting in WW84 is really good. The narrative has strong anti-populist vibes tho

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
pop culture writing was a mistake
https://twitter.com/themarysue/status/1343625184838868994?s=21
so you don't have to click:

quote:

Initially when watching Civil War, I found myself immediately drawn to Cap’s side. Personal freedom, loyalty to your friends, mistrusting the powers that be, these all spoke to me – a former misfit supreme – on a deep, deep level. They felt far more important than Tony’s emphasis on security and safety. But rewatching it this time, at the end of 2020 the plague year from hell, I found my perspective…shifting.

Now when Tony argues in favor of signing the accord, I find myself agreeing with him. The argument for boundaries and oversight in order to protect large populations of people from a dangerous force, feels like the right thing to do. We are currently living through the worst pandemic since 1918 and a large part of the reason America is so far behind the rest of the world in dealing with the virus is because there is basically no oversight. We have become the ruins of Sokovia. Three hundred thousand Americans are dead and millions more are infected every day. We need individuals to agree to sacrifice some personal freedom in order to keep the majority of people (and those most at risk, like the elderly, the immunocompromised, and our essential workers) safe. Following the rules, staying inside, valuing the lives of others over our own non-essential whims should be the priority. As Tony says, “without boundaries, we’re no different from the bad guys.”

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

uber_stoat posted:

*opens door*

Should have just used a bunch of explosives.

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010

uber_stoat posted:

*opens door*

One weird trick for handling Lobsterman cruise ship missions

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Chapo Trap House reviews WW84 in depth and :snoo: this is worse than I could ever have imagined.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
watched blade runner 2049 in 4K

thought to myself drat that’s an optimistic view of the future

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

Taintrunner posted:

watched blade runner 2049 in 4K

thought to myself drat that’s an optimistic view of the future

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tubgoat posted:

Chapo Trap House reviews WW84 in depth and :snoo: this is worse than I could ever have imagined.

Well yeah, its chapo

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

mandatory lesbian posted:

Well yeah, its chapo

Lmao, no, I loving love Chapo, my friend went from suicidal at the mention of politics to signing up for their Patreon. :3:
Entry Level Left podcast did the heavy lifting there, though.

WW84 sounds like if it was fictional propaganda in a fictional series or movie, designed to show the audience how psychotically fascist and insane a country is, it would be immersion-ruiningly bad in its unbelievability.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knNMK8Q2a1s

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Echo Chamber posted:

pop culture writing was a mistake
https://twitter.com/themarysue/status/1343625184838868994?s=21
so you don't have to click:

Tony is the villain of the marvel universe

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i mean he's literally an arms dealer

the first movie opened up with a demo of how good his missiles are at turning caves full of brown people into caves full of skeletons

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Lib and let die posted:

the first movie opened up with a demo of how good his missiles are at turning caves full of brown people into caves full of skeletons

kevin feige doesn't consider them people, op

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Tony's greatest crime is kickstarting the marvel movie craze

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Lib and let die posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc8qbcIMZVg

also critical support to comrade justin hammer for giving iron man tech to north korea and iran

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I recently discovered a lovely old-time twangy mountain folk song about how the world is about to be consumed by nuclear fire and you better get right with God:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AojCqHwsbX0

It sounds like parody, but it's real!

quote:

There's an army who can conquer all the enemy's great bands
It's a regiment of Christians guided by the Savior's hand
When the mushroom of destruction falls and all it's fury great
God will surely save His children from this awful, awful fate

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!
sadly, daddy isn't going to save us from the nuclear fire. he evidently has left the difficult task of not committing suicide in order to turn the earth into an irradiated cinder in our own hands.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

doesn't the USSR still exist in Blade Runner 2049

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Hodgepodge posted:

sadly, daddy isn't going to save us from the nuclear fire. he evidently has left the difficult task of not committing suicide in order to turn the earth into an irradiated cinder in our own hands.

I think that song posits that daddy put a big loaded gun in our hands, and if we do a Bad Thing with it he's going to swoop in and fix the situation, but only for those of his children who say nice things about him.

Loveshaft
Nov 3, 2020

Atrocious Joe posted:

Only in the dreams of the proles living in slums as far as the eye can see outside Greater Los Angelos, home of neoliberal fascist Niander Wallace.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Lib and let die posted:

nah, it was thoroughly hosed by FROMSOFT's insistence on it being a PvP game first and foremost, a sin they revisited again with 3.

i don't hate ds pvp, but i hate the multiple, obvious areas that are like "ok and this is where you push the START STREAMING button for your weekly fight club because twitch is a new and expanding market that we need to capture" and the whole NG+ gimmick being...literal red phantoms added to bosses, the direction they were going is clear as day, and the PvE experience suffered for it, imo

the entire bonfire ascetic system was specifically so you could target areas to get PvP-build necessary drops from. they sort of un-hosed it with the DLC area, at least in 2, but imo it was very clear that DS2 was a labor of love for DSPvP fans, with a half-baked PvE experience stuck onto it.

sounds like you got roasted lmao

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1343427056764383234?s=20

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Idk why they don't let you just play with your friends in souls games but insist on a weird summoning system. Its like a Nintendo approach to online multiplayer

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 215 days!

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I think that song posits that daddy put a big loaded gun in our hands, and if we do a Bad Thing with it he's going to swoop in and fix the situation, but only for those of his children who say nice things about him.

garth ennis' depiction of god in preacher really is spot on wrt to what americans believe

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Victory Position posted:

sounds like you got roasted lmao

nah, my mom always pulled the internet plug for me before anyone spawned in

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I started watching How To With John Wilson and holy gently caress this took a loving turn in the opening five minutes

we go from petting a cat to a philosophy department to wrestlemania to a failed Chris hansen wannabe in absolutely no loving time at all

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

I started watching How To With John Wilson and holy gently caress this took a loving turn in the opening five minutes

we go from petting a cat to a philosophy department to wrestlemania to a failed Chris hansen wannabe in absolutely no loving time at all

amazing show, best of the year imo

there’s a segment with, what without spoiling anything, i’ll call an “activist” in episode 4 that is the hardest i’ve laughed all year

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Bootleg Trunks posted:

Idk why they don't let you just play with your friends in souls games but insist on a weird summoning system. Its like a Nintendo approach to online multiplayer

I read an interview with Miyazaki back when Demon's Souls first released and he said it was meant to be like when a stranger helps push your car out of a snow bank during a storm and then you never see them again

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

Fleetwood posted:

I read an interview with Miyazaki back when Demon's Souls first released and he said it was meant to be like when a stranger helps push your car out of a snow bank during a storm and then you never see them again

Instead its a neon colored naked fat guy with a bowl cut named "theraper420" beating you to death with a +9 stick of chaos after rolling around you

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Atrocious Joe posted:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

there’s a segment with, what without spoiling anything, i’ll call an “activist” in episode 4 that is the hardest i’ve laughed all year

just got to the Mandela effect conference

THE INTERNET IS STORED ON CRYSTALS!!!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

oh you son of a gently caress

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

Doom Patrol is pretty good

I watched it right after WW84 as a pallette cleanser and is crazy how different they are in terms of quality.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fleetwood posted:

Doom Patrol is pretty good

I watched it right after WW84 as a pallette cleanser and is crazy how different they are in terms of quality.

I've really liked the trend of shows that we've gotten recently that involve broken people with super powers with stories that actually develop them as characters. Umbrella academy, and the boys were both really good too.

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

new episode of the expanse is up and it is good

gonna be sorry to see this season go, it's been banger after banger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I've really liked the trend of shows that we've gotten recently that involve broken people with super powers with stories that actually develop them as characters. Umbrella academy, and the boys were both really good too.

did Umbrella Academy lean into Russiagate red-baiting bullshit as much as its trailer made it look like it would