Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Perhaps you can get a Skinny Bob and fatten it up over time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoDoorway
Jul 31, 2007

I never had a doorway
Soiled Meat

Nitrox posted:

But what if I give bob the ‘betus?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

The Japanese version of this is building a gixxer 7/11.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

NoDoorway posted:

But what if I give bob the ‘betus?

2020 Sugar Foot

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Honda Haiku Headquarters is a good candidate for the forum name after Christmas Asylum expires on the 26th

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I made the request to the admins, but now someone needs to make a haiku thread to commemorate!

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this isnt a haiku thread already?

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
I sold my Fireblade
Regret sinking in right now
eBay here I come

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I made the request to the admins, but now someone needs to make a haiku thread to commemorate!

I would copy/paste a lazy OP, but I'm away from my laptop :/

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Need a cheap project
Abandoned Honda Oldwing
Four hundred dollars

DR-Z's for sale
All of them are expensive
None come with titles

Dressed up all in black
Twelve hundred centimeters
Suzuki Bandit

ELR paintjob
Eleven or twelve hundred
Kawi ZRX

Dagen H fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 28, 2020

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3952978

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Haven't rode in years
Only have room for one bike
Need some goon advice

As the haiku says I haven't ridden in a few years and am looking at getting another motorcycle. Due to various reasons I can only realistically have one which will mostly be used for weekend fun rides and occasional OHV shenanigans. I was initially looking at picking up a 650 Strom, used F800gs, or some other middleweight "tall-rounder." Then I found out the Honda dealer near me is trying to offload a few leftover 2019 Africa Twins at a considerable discount and I'm suddenly trying to justify buying one. What's the CA consensus on adventure bikes that aren't thumpers or orange?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
It's a fine bike, but the current model is much much better. That discount need to be pretty steep in order to compete. I think AT is heavier than vstrom and then like, but I couldn't tell the difference while riding it. The automatic transmission is not bad either, but it is kind of boring.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

The AT has a good engine, but be prepared to spend a bit on aftermarket comfort. I don't know how the windscreen is on the new ones but the old one was brutally bad if you're the wrong height. The seat is physically painful after a day of riding. You'll get saddle sores. Get a Corbin or something for it. The Tiger 800 is a better bike with a boringer engine out of the box, but the AT can be made better than the tiger with aftermarket add ons just because the engine doesn't suck.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

KodiakRS posted:

What's the CA consensus on adventure bikes that aren't thumpers or orange?

It’s a thumper but don’t sleep on the DR650.

The ATwin is a fine bike as well of course. I really like the styling on the new ones and the engine is supposed to be magnificent but I’ve never been

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

KodiakRS posted:

Haven't rode in years
Need some goon advice

As the haiku says I haven't ridden in a few years and am looking at getting another motorcycle. Due to various reasons I can only realistically have one which will mostly be used for weekend fun rides and occasional OHV shenanigans. I was initially looking at picking up a 650 Strom, used F800gs, or some other middleweight "tall-rounder." Then I found out the Honda dealer near me is trying to offload a few leftover 2019 Africa Twins at a considerable discount and I'm suddenly trying to justify buying one. What's the CA consensus on adventure bikes that aren't thumpers or orange?

if I were you I would look at a yamaha t7. the AT is a fuckin pig and only makes maybe 90hp on a good day. I did not care for the one I tried other than how excellent it looked. it's heavy and has a boring rear end parallel twin. the t7 weighs far less (like 80lbs claimed iirc) and makes better power for its reduced weight

the AT is in the GSA / 1290 ADV weight class but is lacks the torque of the former and the power of the latter while weighing almost as much as the former. the t7 is in the 790 or 890 / weestrom / f800 class and compares very well even while not having the low CoG and high hp the ktm offers

that being said, the t7 is going to be difficult to find at as big a discount as anyone's going to give you on a '19 AT, so just be prepared to pay close to MSRP on it (if you can find one!)

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's a thumper but don't sleep on the DR650.

Pretty much what sprung to my mind too, for something easygoing that can do twisty fun or OHV stuff. Otherwise yeah if you have AT money you might have T7 money.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

So, long term, I am thinking about getting a commuter petrol bike for when I need to start commuting back into work (maybe from July 2021 onwards), a bike I wouldn't mind leaving chained outside on street parking for bikes in Glasgow.

Ideally, the criteria I would like to fulfil are:

Used. I don't even mind a 20 year old bike as long as the below stuff works out.
Fuel injected, cbf dealing with carbs.
Cable throttle so I can put Oxford Hot Grips on it.
Sub 900cc (I want to be somewhat petrol frugal).
Big-ish petrol tank (I don't want to fill up daily).
Not super tall, i.e. no adventure bikes.
Comfortable seating position.
Cheap, i.e. £2000 or less would be nice.
Not prone to breaking down (i.e. no Royal Enfields...).
Cheap-ish insurance. :britain:
Easy to work on, i.e. change the oil, access the battery etc.
Not super-prone to rusting (I'll be bathing it in rustproofer (XCP) anyway every month).

Not too concerned about fairings/windscreens, nor colour, nor even high mileage as long as it's still reliable.

Any suggestions? I'd be willing to budge on some of those criteria for a good reason, even increase the budget to £3000.

Suzuki SV650?
Honda NC750?

Just FYI, I'd sell this commuter eventually to when I get an assigned parking space within the secure work carpark and then either ride my Harley to work or get an electric for a commuter.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

"No carbs" is gonna knock out a lot of totally reasonable choices. Carburetors are perfectly good when properly set up and not hosed with.

How long is your commute? Filling up daily, for most motorcycles, would mean you have at least a 75 mile commute each way and uhhhh

The Ninja 250 is still probably the best minimum viable commuter motorcycle. An SV650 would be fine too but you can go cheaper and more fuel-efficient.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

R3 and ex300 are very frugal, efi and have a nice skinny profile to squeeze between the mirrors.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

right arm posted:

if I were you I would look at a yamaha t7. the AT is a fuckin pig and only makes maybe 90hp on a good day. I did not care for the one I tried other than how excellent it looked. it's heavy and has a boring rear end parallel twin. the t7 weighs far less (like 80lbs claimed iirc) and makes better power for its reduced weight

the AT is in the GSA / 1290 ADV weight class but is lacks the torque of the former and the power of the latter while weighing almost as much as the former. the t7 is in the 790 or 890 / weestrom / f800 class and compares very well even while not having the low CoG and high hp the ktm offers

that being said, the t7 is going to be difficult to find at as big a discount as anyone's going to give you on a '19 AT, so just be prepared to pay close to MSRP on it (if you can find one!)

Also seconding this. My spouse has a 17' AT-DCT model that he bought new.
Armor the poo poo out of it because the fucker has dingleberries everywhere ripe for getting ripped off the engine. The fairings are abs and will crack like the sportbikes do if you drop it on rocks.
Not sure if the 19s have the fork fix, otherwise the forks are a consumable item on the AT. They didn't hardcoat the loving things. I know the ATAS has the fix. His with 12k-mi is exhibiting fork issues.
Armored up it's nearly a 600 pound bike with the dct. You feel every loving bit of it too.
It's a clinically boring bike wrapped around a clinically boring engine. It's a motherfucker and a half to work on too, so when you spring for the centerstand or the $80 power outlet, it's a bitch to install. Changing its oil is on par with my stupid KTM.

Outside of its excessive heft, I'd say its fairly noob friendly. I do not like the DCT at all. Whiskey throttles means that fucker yeets itself into whatever is in front of it.
It's a good bike if you want an unengaging appliance to mile the poo poo out of.

Buy the T7.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

"No carbs" is gonna knock out a lot of totally reasonable choices. Carburetors are perfectly good when properly set up and not hosed with.

How long is your commute? Filling up daily, for most motorcycles, would mean you have at least a 75 mile commute each way and uhhhh

The Ninja 250 is still probably the best minimum viable commuter motorcycle. An SV650 would be fine too but you can go cheaper and more fuel-efficient.

Hell, as long as the carbs don't need loving with, I could be persuaded to go carbed. The Bandit 600 the training school had had water ingress into the carbs which caused it to be an unreliable POS, hence my wariness... I am fine with turning on the choke to start it and then turning off the choke later, but any fuckerey beyond that when trying to get back home on a rainy day from work would suck.

The commute is about 35 miles one way (90% motorway, i.e. at a constant 60 to 70mph), so 70 miles daily (it won't be daily though, I doubt I'll be going into the office 5 days a week).

Ninja 250 doesn't sound bad... How is it ergo-wise? I don't want to be bent over much, and it looks quite sporty, particularly with those clip on handlebars?

Here is an example in the UK for £2000 or so: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202008062161536

Slavvy posted:

R3 and ex300 are very frugal, efi and have a nice skinny profile to squeeze between the mirrors.

EX300 is a Ninja 300 right?

Sounds pretty decent. Seat looks a bit ballsmashing...

Here's an example https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202012036752051 for £2400 which seems fine...

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

cursedshitbox posted:

It's a clinically boring bike wrapped around a clinically boring engine.

People keep saying this and I'm wondering if they've ever ridden a bike with an actual clinically boring engine. It's not set your hair on fire exciting, no, but there is some poo poo out there that'll make the AT engine seem like at least watching someone else set their hair on fire exciting.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
I've owned and killed a klr650. I stand by what I said.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

Steakandchips posted:

Hell, as long as the carbs don't need loving with, I could be persuaded to go carbed. The Bandit 600 the training school had had water ingress into the carbs which caused it to be an unreliable POS, hence my wariness... I am fine with turning on the choke to start it and then turning off the choke later, but any fuckerey beyond that when trying to get back home on a rainy day from work would suck.

The commute is about 35 miles one way (90% motorway, i.e. at a constant 60 to 70mph), so 70 miles daily (it won't be daily though, I doubt I'll be going into the office 5 days a week).

Ninja 250 doesn't sound bad... How is it ergo-wise? I don't want to be bent over much, and it looks quite sporty, particularly with those clip on handlebars?

Here is an example in the UK for £2000 or so: https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202008062161536

EX300 is a Ninja 300 right?

Sounds pretty decent. Seat looks a bit ballsmashing...

Here's an example https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202012036752051 for £2400 which seems fine...
The Ninja 250 (and the 300) are going to buzz at 70mph, but it's not too bad. I did enjoy having to bang through all the gears on my 250 more than the 650 that replaced it, definitely a case of having more fun riding a slow bike fast. The 250 does have a significantly tucked riding position, part of why I got rid of it was it put too much strain on my wrists (but I've got RSI from an excess of computer-touching.) If I had to do it again I'd get a Versys 300, but they seem rarer and more expensive in the UK than the US.

If you want the most practical commuter that can handle freeway speeds without being at 10,000rpm, it's probably the NC750. I spent the last year trying to work out which motorcycle I wanted to buy to do my commute, and ended up putting my name on the list for a 2021 NC750x assuming they actually come to the US. I figure it will last me till they get solid-state batteries into motorcycles 5-10 years from now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Finger Prince posted:

People keep saying this and I'm wondering if they've ever ridden a bike with an actual clinically boring engine. It's not set your hair on fire exciting, no, but there is some poo poo out there that'll make the AT engine seem like at least watching someone else set their hair on fire exciting.

I rode a 1979 R100 the other day and yeah I'm inclined to agree. Nothing made this century in any category qualifies for boring as even the most boring modern engine will let you have fun in the corners and old stuff just...doesn't.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

KodiakRS posted:

Haven't rode in years
Need some goon advice

HAS ANYONE SAID DR650 YET

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe
“Adventure bikes that aren’t thumpers”
Thread: check out these thumpers!

But yeah buy the big thumper, though I’d trade in on a T7 maybe.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Look, anyone who claims they don't want a thumper just doesn't know any better yet.

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Re: Commuter bike.

If it's a highway commute, find something that can comfortably do highway speeds. It's nice to be able to overtake while still in top gear.

On older bikes, take the effects of ethanol containing gasoline into account. Some bikes really don't like that. You don't wanna spend extra money on expensive low/no ethanol gas, if you ride lots and lots.

That said, the Honda CB or CBF500 is a great, reliable bike. Available with ABS which is a great bonus if you expect to ride in the rain. Should also be fairly economical. Upright position does mean you catch quite some wind. I had a cb500f at my riding school, with carbs, but never had issues with those.

The SV650s is also a great bike. Much more comfortable than the cbf500. Effortless overtaking in top gear, effortless pulling away when rolling along with traffic from 2000rpm.
Fuel injection from the 2nd generation onwards, ABS available from the later 2nd generation -s model and the Gladius.
But at least the first generation with carb isn't that economical. 5l/100km is my average, 6l/100km when riding sporty.
The carb is pretty reliable, never had vague/unpredictable issues with it. I did have carburetor icing below 5 deg C, when riding in fog or rain, but i am aware of the cause - i don't have the automatic carburetor heating installed.
But as much as i love that bike, i would not recommend a bike without ABS if you're forced to share the roads with tons of cars in rainy weather.

I also rode a cbf600sa. That bike is regarded as a good commuter, but i didn't like it. Comfortable enough, but in slow corners (like in cities) it feels unstable and tippy.

One bike that also feeled like a great commuter was the ducati monster 797. The little wind deflector works very well, it's comfy and everything goes effortlessly. No idea about the fuel consumption, though. Probably a bit too expensive too.

Finally, i would try and find something with decent fairing or windshield if you commute on the highway. Wind is annoying imho.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

LimaBiker posted:

On older bikes, take the effects of ethanol containing gasoline into account. Some bikes really don't like that. You don't wanna spend extra money on expensive low/no ethanol gas, if you ride lots and lots.

This is a primarily US concern, the UK doesn't have the same obsession with putting corn in everything.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Steakandchips posted:

Cheap-ish insurance. :britain:

Shut your mouth Mr "I only pay 650/yr fully-comp for my brand new 15k motorcycle fresh off my full license"

Renaissance Robot posted:

This is a primarily US concern, the UK doesn't have the same obsession with putting corn in everything.

... Yet. There was talks of moving to E10 fuel.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

BabelFish posted:

The Ninja 250 (and the 300) are going to buzz at 70mph, but it's not too bad. I did enjoy having to bang through all the gears on my 250 more than the 650 that replaced it, definitely a case of having more fun riding a slow bike fast. The 250 does have a significantly tucked riding position, part of why I got rid of it was it put too much strain on my wrists (but I've got RSI from an excess of computer-touching.) If I had to do it again I'd get a Versys 300, but they seem rarer and more expensive in the UK than the US.

If you want the most practical commuter that can handle freeway speeds without being at 10,000rpm, it's probably the NC750. I spent the last year trying to work out which motorcycle I wanted to buy to do my commute, and ended up putting my name on the list for a 2021 NC750x assuming they actually come to the US. I figure it will last me till they get solid-state batteries into motorcycles 5-10 years from now.

I don't mind buzz, but if ergos are going to be poo poo on them, which it sounds like they are, I'll likely go with something else.

The Versys is a good recommendation aside from it being an adventure-ish bike and therefore tall, and while I could get on one and ride it with my feet able to touch the floor, I want something lower so it's not a literal pain in the rear end getting on it (I have arthritis and am not flexible).

Re the Honda: the NC750S is the one I'd go for instead of the NC750X, the former is 10mm lower! But I doubt I'd find one for super cheap.

Everyone, please keep the recommendations coming for commuter bikes!

LimaBiker posted:

If it's a highway commute, find something that can comfortably do highway speeds. It's nice to be able to overtake while still in top gear.

Agreed.

LimaBiker posted:

Not an issue yet in the UK, as RR said!

LimaBiker posted:

That said, the Honda CB or CBF500 is a great, reliable bike. Available with ABS which is a great bonus if you expect to ride in the rain. Should also be fairly economical. Upright position does mean you catch quite some wind. I had a cb500f at my riding school, with carbs, but never had issues with those.

The SV650s is also a great bike. Much more comfortable than the cbf500. Effortless overtaking in top gear, effortless pulling away when rolling along with traffic from 2000rpm.
Fuel injection from the 2nd generation onwards, ABS available from the later 2nd generation -s model and the Gladius.
But at least the first generation with carb isn't that economical. 5l/100km is my average, 6l/100km when riding sporty.
The carb is pretty reliable, never had vague/unpredictable issues with it. I did have carburetor icing below 5 deg C, when riding in fog or rain, but i am aware of the cause - i don't have the automatic carburetor heating installed.
But as much as i love that bike, i would not recommend a bike without ABS if you're forced to share the roads with tons of cars in rainy weather.

I also rode a cbf600sa. That bike is regarded as a good commuter, but i didn't like it. Comfortable enough, but in slow corners (like in cities) it feels unstable and tippy.

One bike that also feeled like a great commuter was the ducati monster 797. The little wind deflector works very well, it's comfy and everything goes effortlessly. No idea about the fuel consumption, though. Probably a bit too expensive too.

You said the SV650S is more comfortable than the CBF500, you mean ergo wise, or "comfort" as in you are more comfortable overtaking using the SV650? Your follow on sentence implies the latter, but best to clarify!

I'd love a Monster 796, love how it's exhausts look under the rear seat and that they are out of the way of the heel of your right foot. About £4k though... I could be tempted...

I'm not particularly concerned about windscreens/fairings. If they are there, that's fine. I wear heated clothes and gloves so tend to ignore the cold weather (aside from ice on the road, then I don't ride much).

I need to test ride some SV650, SV650S, CBFs of all sorts, and Monsters...

Horse Clocks posted:

Shut your mouth Mr "I only pay 650/yr fully-comp for my brand new 15k motorcycle fresh off my full license"

:scotland:

It's 1000% more than my Honda 125's insurance which is what I am comparing it to, despite it being a totally inappropriate comparison! :P

In reality though, I don't really want to pay a lot for annual insurance on the commuter bike. I.e. definitely not another £650 per year!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Not in the UK it's not - basically nobody's sold a carbed bike here in almost two decades*, so those remaining definitely *will* have been hosed with.

* Euro3, which made it basically impossible for a >125 to pass without EFI and a catalytic converter, came into effect in 2006, but almost everyone made the jump in 2002 or thereabouts with Euro2 because there was no point completely rejigging their ranges twice in 4 years.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Look at this:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202012217306440

A 2006 Honda CBF500 with ABS, 62500 miles, with heated grips and a top box.
£800.

Insurance would be £102 in total for TPFT annually, for up to 5000 miles SDLP (this just means riding for fun, amerigoons) + commuting + pillion cover. £102 annual insurance. Steal.

£67 for annual vehicle excise duty (tax) as it's between 401-600CC.

This is exactly the sort of thing I need.

I could leave it chained outside in Glasgow, nae cover, it would almost certainly not get nicked during the 9 to 5 working hours, and even if it did I would not be super upset!

Shame it's in Woolwich, London.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

HAS ANYONE SAID DR650 YET

*Bursts into thread taking gulping breaths while talking like a 5-year-old who just ran a marathon*

Yes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Steakandchips posted:

A 2006 Honda CBF500 with ABS, 62500 miles, with heated grips and a top box.
£800.

I could leave it chained outside in Glasgow, nae cover, it would almost certainly not get nicked during the 9 to 5 working hours, and even if it did I would not be super upset!

Shame it's in Woolwich, London.

you are like a little baby. fly and ride

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'll never get tired of the American definition of 'too far' being literally 10x everyone else's.

If I did the same journey from here I'd literally run out of island and be forced to take the ferry to the other, marginally inferior island.

E: wait no, you've forgotten that journey now involves crossing an international border :v:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

you are like a little baby. fly and ride

And spend 4 weeks in jail.

We are locked down. Can't leave the local council area, let alone Scotland.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I'll never get tired of the American definition of 'too far' being literally 10x everyone else's.

If I did the same journey from here I'd literally run out of island and be forced to take the ferry to the other, marginally inferior island.

Tasmania isn't that bad.