Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Memento posted:

We had nine adults and three children gather at Christmas and that felt weird to me, even though it's a hundred percent within current regulations (:australia:). Going to take a while to feel normal again.

i mean regulations aren't magic force fields, just a compromise with the mob

I met with my parents for an hour with a mask on and we were all still a bit nervous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://files.catbox.moe/sizz5b.mp4

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hey now that's cultural. Next you're going to tell me "Grand sale, grand sale, grand sale. Where? in Brunswick, and Foot's'gray" is a bad marketing move and I can't abide that.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

The Bloop posted:

i mean regulations aren't magic force fields, just a compromise with the mob

I met with my parents for an hour with a mask on and we were all still a bit nervous

There are states in Australia that have had zero community cases for months on end. Speaking as someone who will absolutely die if I get covid, our regulations by and large have been absolutely appropriate to the situation - helped enormously by the fact that people are generally sticking to them quite well.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Some Goon posted:

I just wish youtube would stop giving me advertisements for medications for diseases I've never heard of. I mean, I'd outlaw prescription advertising if I could, but just how many people have these conditions that blind-buying ad time for it has any roi?

E: a word, also vvvv don't work for the youtube app. Very little of my youtubing isnt done on a phone.

https://vancedapp.com/

you're welcome :buddy:

e: oh a lot of people posted this already whoops. it's real good though!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Breetai posted:

There are states in Australia that have had zero community cases for months on end. Speaking as someone who will absolutely die if I get covid, our regulations by and large have been absolutely appropriate to the situation - helped enormously by the fact that people are generally sticking to them quite well.

Oh I am pro-regulation generally but if I, in Florida (lol) thought I'd be safe just because I was legal, I'd probably be dead

I'm glad there are places taking it seriously and I wish this was one of them

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Thomamelas posted:

Speaking of GE and dumb marketing.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

That must be the worst one out there. It's really common for people to not understand the meaning of a song in marketing but that one is pissing on your face and telling you it's raining.

It's even worse than the Jack Daniels ad that uses "Jane Says" by Jane's Addiction and cuts just before "He treats me like a ragdoll."

Do these people even listen to the song before choosing it? It's literally a song about addiction.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mostlygray posted:

That must be the worst one out there. It's really common for people to not understand the meaning of a song in marketing but that one is pissing on your face and telling you it's raining.

It's even worse than the Jack Daniels ad that uses "Jane Says" by Jane's Addiction and cuts just before "He treats me like a ragdoll."

Do these people even listen to the song before choosing it? It's literally a song about addiction.

Of course not, most people can't parse a song beyond the hook

Semi-Charmed Life is a prime example, it's so candy coated that no one notices the entire song is about sex and meth addiction

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Even today hardly anyone knows that MMMBop is about a family member dying of AIDS

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

mostlygray posted:

Do these people even listen to the song before choosing it?

Some folks were born, maaaade to raise the flag -- ooh they're red, white, and blue

:patriot:

edit:

oldpainless posted:

Even today hardly anyone knows that MMMBop is about a family member dying of AIDS

Whoa, I had no loving clue.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Iron Crowned posted:

Semi-Charmed Life is a prime example, it's so candy coated that no one notices the entire song is about sex and meth addiction

Yeah this is maybe one of (if not the most) egregious examples here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bba-dK_nS-M

HazCat posted:

I have an android media player for my non-smart TV, and I just installed Vanced the same way I did on my phone. If you can install apps through the play store in your TV, you can probably try installing Vanced.

Oh that's handy! I'm working with a cheap roku and a chromecast for my tv/streaming options and cursory googling tells me I might just be out of luck with that combo :shrug:

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

I've heard that it took a long, long time before radio stations censored the line "Doing crystal meth will lift you up until you break" because it's nigh incomprehensible unless you already know the lyrics.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Frosty the Snowman is about how death is inevitable

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

literally the only thing I know about semi-charmed life is doo doo doo doo because that's literally all anybody ever plays. I didn't even know it was called semi-charmed life until this thread and I thought it was maybe a hanson song or something.

Unrelated, I don't know if this should go here or what but I was looking up office chairs for fat people because I've broken my computer chair and found this on Amazon.

I don't know if it's the best or worst marketing but "Two girls can sit in the chair together" is just hilarious to me.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Garrand posted:

literally the only thing I know about semi-charmed life is doo doo doo doo because that's literally all anybody ever plays. I didn't even know it was called semi-charmed life until this thread and I thought it was maybe a hanson song or something.

Unrelated, I don't know if this should go here or what but I was looking up office chairs for fat people because I've broken my computer chair and found this on Amazon.

I don't know if it's the best or worst marketing but "Two girls can sit in the chair together" is just hilarious to me.

* two girls not included

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Plastik posted:

I've heard that it took a long, long time before radio stations censored the line "Doing crystal meth will lift you up until you break" because it's nigh incomprehensible unless you already know the lyrics.

The thing is they don't censor that line, this is the only line censored

quote:

Those little red panties they pass the test
Slides up around the belly, face down on the mattress

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Frosty the Snowman is about how death is inevitable

More obvious from its alternate title, Live Die Repeat

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

mostlygray posted:

I suspect the people who pick these songs are the kind of people who don't really listen to lyrics. Or they are the kind of people who think they are making a smug protest, not realizing everyone thinks they are a loving moron. Or they knew only one song about mining. But as bad as they went, there are some worse options like You'll Never Leave Harlen Alive. The "correct" song to choose probably was Coal Miner's Daughter.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
"Bohemian Like You" by the Dandy Warhols was used in a Mercedes ad. Literally just the first line though.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Assistant Manager Devil posted:

More obvious from its alternate title, Live Die Repeat

Or the French title, Frostman with Cheese

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Plastik posted:

I knew about it during its original run because MTV had a “lyrics” program called Say What? where they just ran the lyrics under the music video. They censored stuff like that, but you still learned about it.

Same with Sabotage by the Beastie Boys and “I got this fuckin thorn in my side!”

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The Chipmunks version of Semi-Charmed Life edits out and alters most of the innuendo.

Most of it.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I've mentioned this elsewhere here, but: I was on a cruise on Inauguration Day 2016 and feeling like absolute poo poo about the election. We were having lunch in a nice Italian restaurant with an acoustic guitar/voice duo playing softly to one side. Nearby was a table of six or eight people being loudly pro-Trump, with one woman standing to toast the fucker--the whole shebang. We were basically seething and sick to our stomachs seeing it so close-up and knowing what we were going back to.

Then the guitar duo began playing Buffalo Springfield's "For What It's Worth." Still softly, still in the background, but we noticed, and we appreciated it. It was hard to see it as anything but a message, at least in the moment. It helped a little. :unsmith:

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There’s a DJ Shadow song from a couple of years ago that keeps getting put in commercials and stopping just before El-P comes in saying “Picture this, I’m a bag of dicks, put me to your lips”

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Garrand posted:

That would go great with this chair Etsy thought I might like.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

HopperUK posted:

Most of it.

ALLLLVINNNNNNN :argh:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Still have the Mazda Protege commercial edit of The Nails' "88 Lines About 44 Women" lodged in a corner of my brain from the turn of the millennium.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HopperUK posted:

The Chipmunks version of Semi-Charmed Life edits out and alters most of the innuendo.

Most of it.

Kidz Bop did a version of Born This Way that cuts out all the references to LGBTQ stuff, so, you know, kind of messes up the point of the song.

Henchman of Santa posted:

There’s a DJ Shadow song from a couple of years ago that keeps getting put in commercials and stopping just before El-P comes in saying “Picture this, I’m a bag of dicks, put me to your lips”

That's Cadillac and they do an instrumental version of Nobody Speak.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Elviscat posted:

That would go great with this chair Etsy thought I might like.

And, did you?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Knormal posted:

And, did you?

Of course, that's a very reasonable price for Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. My Therapist arrives Monday, and let me tell you, shre might be a redhead clad entirely in latex with 9" heels, but I've heard this stuff helps and I'm willing to give ANYTHING a chance right now.

Even CBT.

E: dunno why you need a special chair, excited to find out!

Elviscat has a new favorite as of 08:19 on Dec 30, 2020

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Theres a DJ Shadow song from a couple of years ago that keeps getting put in commercials and stopping just before El-P comes in saying Picture this, Im a bag of dicks, put me to your lips

Nobody Speak, featuring Run the Jewels. Fantastic song and an amazing video.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Manuel Calavera posted:

Nobody Speak, featuring Run the Jewels. Fantastic song and an amazing video.

I'm amazed Run the Jewels isn't more popular, because not only are their songs incredible their music videos are like modern art in the sheer creativity going on.

The netflix Killer Mike show was incredible but it faded into obscurity after like 2 weeks.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
There is one commercial for a clothing brand or similar where a group of hip young adults are sitting around a bonfire at a beach at night, and one girl is singing the line "I'm looking in your eyes, I'm looking in your big brown eyes" in a very soft and romantic voice.

This is from the song Sweat (A La La La La Long) by Inner Circle, which is about how a guy wants to gently caress a girl so hard she drips of sweat, so I would really have liked to have heard the rest of her performance.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

im pretty sure nearly every line of that song would get the fcc on your rear end, but it does have a great beginning so i understand wanting to use it. Hope they got paid

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

pentyne posted:

I'm amazed Run the Jewels isn't more popular, because not only are their songs incredible their music videos are like modern art in the sheer creativity going on.

The netflix Killer Mike show was incredible but it faded into obscurity after like 2 weeks.

Run the Jewels have been festival second-liners since their second album. That’s super popular for a couple of chubby middle-aged guys who were underground rap figures for like 15 years. I remember Close Your Eyes (And Count to gently caress) being in Under Armour ads with Steph Curry (another example for this thread really).

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

My favorite example is how they not only put a SOAD song in a kids' movie but a SOAD song about Serj Tankian having an orgy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neVlFKNQ2Ok

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Pumped Up Kicks was a song about a kid wanting to shoot up his school. It was on the radio almost every day when it released.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Schubalts posted:

Pumped Up Kicks was a song about a kid wanting to shoot up his school. It was on the radio almost every day when it released.

And gently caress you! Now it's stuck in my head

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/WalmartInc/status/1344363120773353472

LOL at "we at Walmart are neither for or against politicians overthrowing our democracy to install Donald Trump as forever God-King." :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
more likely that they don't want someone to buy a gun at walmart and then shoot up the store in protest